Dismal England reactions?

Pixie77

totally agree here, i have spend my life half and half in Europe and Australia, i'll take Oz any day , especially in retirement .

It's funny you know, but an very fond old mate of mine (8th army north africa WW2) said to me the desert is a young mans game.

Try 44 deg C aged 50+ and see how you fare, it's not do-able, especially if you've not become accustomed to it or done it in younger life ?

Pacific islands look idyllic, once again, bit of hard work if your pushing 60 or not done it before.

I'm not saying you cannot, I am saying it's more of an adventure than you might bargain for.

I suppose you could drive around a cooler australia in the rain, which makes it a drier, less greener version of europe ?

I wonder how many people have actually seen the real australia ? I've been around it x2 maybe x3 times by aircraft, including torres straight, it's vast , impressive, but harsh and boring, dull, hot, remote, unforgiving at the same time ?

If you're looking for adventure in retirement, I'd say you're a little late.....

Which bit do you consider to be the "real Australia"?

anywhere outside your perception of what australia actually is , versus what you see on media, western sydney, Lakemba, where they speak arabic at the Sahara cafe that's real australia, cessnock the wineries, where i did wine flights for couples for sydney, had 2 or 3 proposals on flights back to sydney, quite near pokolbin that bastion of jobs in NSW , Cabriatta in sydney where Viet is spoken as a 1st language,

Not to be all doom and gloom about it, in sydney as a young man about town you can go up to padders in oxford street after a cricket match or a nightie game at SCG, great fun.

But, you're retired, and you want to explore, great, there is an amazing vastness, a cruelty of distance and a tyranny of isolation, when you get to some of the more isolated places, the romantic view falls away, at least it did for me.

Torress strait not a great place either, Weipa, Coon, etc, all just well, real australis.....

There is a hill (400 feet odd)about 60 nautical miles ENE of yulara (the rock), I used it as a waypoint on one of my nav, i forget the name , it ends with "burg" it has a cross on it, the cross is there to commemorate the numerous local aboriginal teen suicides.

Interesting waypoint. This is the real Australia.

dunno mate, what ya looking for ?

a Bun ?

So here is one member who actually is retired, and moved to Australia in retirement.

Have lived previously in 4 countries U.K. Germany, Africa, Brunei.

Spent plenty of time in Europe, apart from what I would call Eastern Europe.

Lucky enough to have been to East Berlin before the wall came down, spent time in Tunisia, slept in the troglodyte caves in the desert.

Flown as a stewardess in the 1960's in both Europe and Africa.

Not boasting just explaining and mentioning that I have been lucky enough to experience other countries.

We love being retired in Australia, came here for a bit more of adventure, weren't sure how long we would stay. 14 years later, no intention of returning to U.K.

We have travelled round plenty of Australia, no we aren't grey nomads, love the diversity of the country.

We have plenty of retired friends both here and in UK, we all enjoy life, but somehow we feel we have more fun here, we definitely go out and about more than our UK friends, and seem more up to new experiences.Don't take that the wrong way!!!

we think nothing of driving quite long distances, took 3 weeks to drive back from Cairns to the Sunshine Coast, been to Birdsville.

we have also been to China, Singapore, KL, in the last few years.

Will be back in UK in a couple of weeks, love catching up with our friends, but their lives seem to revolve mostly around their local home area, they have similar backgrounds to us but so many are still in the 2 week holiday abroad syndrome. Not criticising and obviously there is the odd exception to the rule. Not many if any pop over to Europe or drive round U.K.

Our friends here are always heading off somewhere.

Each to their own, I don't criticise anyone else's choice, this is only my choice of where to,live, but after 23 years away from UK, I do prefer to be warm and not cold.

Sorry if this is inappropriate on this thread, was only responding to where to retire.

Edited by ramot
  • Like 1

So here is one member who actually is retired, and moved to Australia in retirement.

Lucky enough to have been to East Berlin before the wall came down, spent time in Tunisia, slept in the troglodyte caves in the desert.

Not boasting just explaining and mentioning that I have been lucky enough to experience other countries.

We love being retired in Australia, came here for a bit more of adventure, weren't sure how long we would stay. 14 years later, no intention of returning to U.K.

We have travelled round plenty of Australia, no we aren't grey nomads, love the diversity of the country.

We have plenty of retired friends both here and in UK, we all enjoy life, but somehow we feel we have more fun here, we definitely go out and about more than our UK friends, and seem more up to new experiences.Don't take that the wrong way!!!

we think nothing of driving quite long distances, took 3 weeks to drive back from Cairns to the Sunshine Coast, been to Birdsville.

Will be back in UK in a couple of weeks, love catching up with our friends, but their lives seem to revolve mostly around their local home area, they have similar backgrounds to us but so many are still in the 2 week holiday abroad syndrome. Not criticising and obviously there is the odd exception to the rule. Not many if any pop over to Europe or drive round U.K.

Each to their own, I don't criticise anyone else's choice, this is only my choice of where to,live, but after 23 years away from UK, I do prefer to be warm and not cold.

Sorry if this is inappropriate on this thread, was only responding to where to retire.

If you love outdoor pursuits such as fishing or golfing you can pursue these in comfort year round here in SE Queensland. In summertime that might mean very early starts to avoid the midday heat.

But I do know that many people enjoy wrapping up in 4/5 layers of clothing to fish or walk. Most of the elderly people I knew (neighbours and family) in the UK would stay in their homes half the year venturing out only to buy food etc. and they often could not afford to heat the whole house.

Can only go off my memory of the UK and it's older folk (attitudes may have changed) but I agree with the above. Most older folk that I knew back then, rarely ventured anywhere outside of their "own little world". Whether that was due to attitude, finances, or lack of opportunity back then, I don't know? I am amazed though at the "get up and go" of many older folk here. Grey nomads selling up, travelling and living out of the fourby and van. You can tell that they've been at it for years the way they reverse onto their pitches, unhitch and set up in the space of less than 10 minutes! I go into the rain forests on my own at age 68 for days on end and see many others my age doing the same. If I was back in the UK, I doubt very much that I'd be up on the Pikes or the Cairngorms, although I wish I could be at times. Older Aussies just seem to love "having a go" and in some respects, seem far more adventurous than some younger Aussies.

As long as people are happy where they are living, it doesn't matter if they are living in Stratford Upon Avon, the back of Burke or Timbuctoo.

I've reached a stage in my life where I think I've become more and more like my Dad. He was perfectly happy in his own surrounding area in Scotland and never regretted not travelling - unlike Mum who visited her three offspring when they were living in various parts of the world. I dislike airports and not fussed on flying so I'd be content if I just stayed here where I am in Tassie and never set foot on a plane again. Having said that I'm off to Queenstown NZ next week only because of family stuff. I've travelled a lot throughout my life and seen a helluva lot too. Now I'm a real stay at home type of person but I do like to hear of other folks travels. :cute:

Can only go off my memory of the UK and it's older folk (attitudes may have changed) but I agree with the above. Most older folk that I knew back then, rarely ventured anywhere outside of their "own little world". Whether that was due to attitude, finances, or lack of opportunity back then, I don't know? I am amazed though at the "get up and go" of many older folk here. Grey nomads selling up, travelling and living out of the fourby and van. You can tell that they've been at it for years the way they reverse onto their pitches, unhitch and set up in the space of less than 10 minutes! I go into the rain forests on my own at age 68 for days on end and see many others my age doing the same. If I was back in the UK, I doubt very much that I'd be up on the Pikes or the Cairngorms, although I wish I could be at times. Older Aussies just seem to love "having a go" and in some respects, seem far more adventurous than some younger Aussies.

Iam far from retired ....the money iam earning is too good ...but ...

Heres my retirement

Train station - 10 mins walk ...1 stop to Solihull ..that will then take me on to London if I want it ...worcester ,Stratford,Warwick all on this line

Doctors - 10 mins away

Airport - flights worldwide - 20 minutes away

More pubs and eateries than I care to mention - all local .

All the big name shops in solihull .

All the big name food shops with home delivery .

Sone of the best dog walking on the canal 5 minutes away .

If iam locked in for 6 months a year ,when I get old ( don't know where that came from ) ....why are with sky at the moment ....but virgin have offered us a deal .

Internet ...200 meg broadband speed

2 boxes

All the sports channels ( sky ,bt and espnn )

All the movie channels

And all the usual stuff ...bbbc..itv ...national geographic

£70.50 a month

They are moving to voip ,pretty soon ,where all your phone calls will be through computer ,and you wont need a phone line .

What iam finding here is loads of the oldies go on regular cruises from Southampton ...works out at about £80-£100 a night ....cunard - p&o ...as cheap as stopping in a hotel .....

When people Sa you are holes up for 6 months a year ,they must be talking a few years ago ,because the weather dint get that bad .

Its all about CHOICE ,and we are spoilt here.

You just have to open your eyes

It's funny you know, but an very fond old mate of mine (8th army north africa WW2) said to me the desert is a young mans game.

Try 44 deg C aged 50+ and see how you fare, it's not do-able, especially if you've not become accustomed to it or done it in younger life ?

Pacific islands look idyllic, once again, bit of hard work if your pushing 60 or not done it before.

I'm not saying you cannot, I am saying it's more of an adventure than you might bargain for.

I suppose you could drive around a cooler australia in the rain, which makes it a drier, less greener version of europe ?

I wonder how many people have actually seen the real australia ? I've been around it x2 maybe x3 times by aircraft, including torres straight, it's vast , impressive, but harsh and boring, dull, hot, remote, unforgiving at the same time ?

If you're looking for adventure in retirement, I'd say you're a little late.....

m

far enough , your point ... but you got me totally wrong , I am not looking for a new adventure, I am going back to it .?

Both my mum and mum in law live in the UK, are in their eighties and, while they travelled more extensively and were probably keener for adventure when their husbands were alive, as single octogenarians they still have pretty full lives. One regularly walks miles everyday, partly because she doesn’t drive but mostly because she enjoys the exercise and independence of getting out and about under her own steam. The other is always rushing somewhere or other, often giving lifts to “the old dears” she confusingly doesn’t seem to identify with lol!

They swim regularly, meet friends for coffee, go out for lunch, one volunteers in a charity shop, the other fund raises for the local hospice. MIL went to art classes a few years back and loves to paint, has taken part of a number of local exhibitions and even sold a few of her paintings. They are busy ladies, and while it is probably true that life revolves around their local area I don’t think either feels disadvantaged because of that and, in the context of the thread title, I’m pretty sure neither would describe life in the UK as dismal or even dreary. T x

My wife's great aunt is retired here - well semi, she still teaches part time in her late 70's, her choice as she certainly doesn't need to financially and has just up skilled to teach IT - has an incredibly active life. She will be on the moors tomorrow hiking across some of the best bust remotest parts of Yorkshire. She travels to Peru every year and Spain a few times a year.

Both my mum and mum in law live in the UK, are in their eighties and, while they travelled more extensively and were probably keener for adventure when their husbands were alive, as single octogenarians they still have pretty full lives. One regularly walks miles everyday, partly because she doesn’t drive but mostly because she enjoys the exercise and independence of getting out and about under her own steam. The other is always rushing somewhere or other, often giving lifts to “the old dears” she confusingly doesn’t seem to identify with lol!

They swim regularly, meet friends for coffee, go out for lunch, one volunteers in a charity shop, the other fund raises for the local hospice. MIL went to art classes a few years back and loves to paint, has taken part of a number of local exhibitions and even sold a few of her paintings. They are busy ladies, and while it is probably true that life revolves around their local area I don’t think either feels disadvantaged because of that and, in the context of the thread title, I’m pretty sure neither would describe life in the UK as dismal or even dreary. T x

I swear some people think the UK is stuck in the 60s where everyone lived out their lives in one Street or village, just like the rest of the world things have moved on and amazingly millions of people travel extensively, even old people lol

I swear some people think the UK is stuck in the 60s where everyone lived out their lives in one Street or village, just like the rest of the world things have moved on and amazingly millions of people travel extensively, even old people lol

As you are keen on reminding people: everyone's experiences are different. Most of my family and friends still live with 15 miles of the town where I was born. My ambitions as a child included moving to somewhere where that didn't close for the weekend at 5pm Friday (and had a cinema). My mother would have never set foot outside Europe had we not moved to Australia.

As you are keen on reminding people: everyone's experiences are different. Most of my family and friends still live with 15 miles of the town where I was born. My ambitions as a child included moving to somewhere where that didn't close for the weekend at 5pm Friday (and had a cinema). My mother would have never set foot outside Europe had we not moved to Australia.
Be interesting to see how many REAL australians (not plastic) have ventured outside of Australia.

Be interesting to see how many REAL australians (not plastic) have ventured outside of Australia.

Lots I imagine. Certainly the ones I met in the UK were traveling extensively to make up for the fact that Europe wasn't a hop skip and a jump away when they were growing up.

Lots I imagine. Certainly the ones I met in the UK were traveling extensively to make up for the fact that Europe wasn't a hop skip and a jump away when they were growing up.
just a few Iwould think peach and the younger ones these days, still be intresting to know how many have actuallt been outside of oz, I think we would all be surprised how low it is.

My wife's great aunt is retired here - well semi, she still teaches part time in her late 70's, her choice as she certainly doesn't need to financially and has just up skilled to teach IT - has an incredibly active life. She will be on the moors tomorrow hiking across some of the best bust remotest parts of Yorkshire. She travels to Peru every year and Spain a few times a year.

My elder son is in Peru at the moment and loves it there also Chile. He didn't much like Argentina but liked Brazil - he has Aussie friends who are from Brazil. Said he hadn't eaten so much meat in his life as Brazilians love their meat.

Indeed. My Mum had a very full social life in Scotland. She was still playing tennis in her 70's and golf until her death in her 80's. After Dad died she did a lot of travelling on her own to stay with my brother, sister and I who were living on different parts of the planet and also with groups of friends all around the UK. The weather never bothered her either.

All the (real) Australians I know have travelled extensively outside Australia. Many go overseas every year. Two of my friends in NSW go to Germany every December to the Christmas markets to finish off a European trip. The young ones are also great at getting out and about and seeing the world - my sons and most of their friends have been to Canada, UK/Europe, USA and at the moment my elder son is in South America. There are other Australians who aren't as adventurous or as good at saving money and never leave the country - just the same as people in many other countries.

My elder son is in Peru at the moment and loves it there also Chile. He didn't much like Argentina but liked Brazil - he has Aussie friends who are from Brazil. Said he hadn't eaten so much meat in his life as Brazilians love their meat.

Brazil and Argentina are very meat based, Peu, particular,y in Lima it is very seafood based food. In my opinion the best food in the world. Make sure he has ceviche and the scallops with Parmesan also, the creole food is amazing and the Chinese known as Chifa is well worth a try - it is a Peruvian take on Chinese. And of course washed down with a pisco sour or three.

So another friend in the UK has just found out were moving back. Again the reaction has been "Are you sure?" Then a paragraph about dismal England- from weather to economy.... anyone else getting this reaction? Is it really so bad? We're moving back for family mostly so we're definitely going but does make me a bit nervous for my children....

With Clause 24 of the Finance Act 2015 its a great time to return

Many homes coming on the market I would expect

2017 house fire sales