My travel thread

Quokka2005

Australia is a very difficult place for a young person to survive on a WHV. The requirement, processing time and fees make it less appealing then other countries. For instance, New Zealand is allowing Canadians up the the age of 35 to apply for a 23 month working holiday visa, and you are allowed to work for the entire term, full or part-time, even for the same employer, if you so chose. Plus, you pay less tax on your earnings than you would in Australia. Australia also only allows you to work for a maximum of 6 months; so you had better bring lots of $$$ is you wish to survive for one year in Oz. Canada is seeing an exponential increase in WHV visitors, especially from Europe and Asia. Good for our tourism and economy.

You can work for the full 12 months in Australia, just not for the same employer and if you do specified work (mainly agriculture) you can stay for 24 months.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right, I just read the article and that change was only in the NT and came into effect only a few days ago. As for the 24 months, you can only start out with a twelve month WHV, and then have to apply for another one/extension only if you work in a certain area for a certain kind of employer. There are zero restrictions with the NZ WHV, and you get two years with one visa. It's so much better and easier to live a life in NZ on a WHV than in Oz, which makes it way more appealing.

Edited by Canada2Australia

Australia is a very difficult place for a young person to survive on a WHV. The numerous requirements, lengthy processing times and ridiculously high application fees make it less appealing then other countries. For instance, New Zealand is allowing Canadians up the the age of 35 to apply for a 23 month working holiday visa, and you are allowed to work for the entire term, full or part-time, even for the same employer for the whole time, if you so choose. The application fee is only $165 NZ ($137 CAD), plus, you pay less tax on your earnings than you would in Australia. Australia also only allows you to work for a maximum of 6 months; so you had better bring lots of $$$ is you wish to survive for one year in Oz. Canada is seeing an exponential increase in WHV visitors, especially from Europe and Asia. Good for our tourism and economy.

I think you've got some things confused. For instance, you can work for the whole 12 months on an Australian WHV, just not more than six months with any single employer.

The processing time for online applications is 48 hours, or 4 weeks if it's a complex case - that doesn't seem lengthy to me,and the requirements are fairly simple for the one-year WHV.

As for tax - if you are coming for just a year (which many do as they don't want to do manual work), then time it right so you work two half tax years, and you'll get all your tax back on leaving anyway.

MaryRose makes a good point that it is called a Working HOLIDAY visa, so if you're going to come and take a full-time job for the whole period it somewhat defeats the purpose, surely.

Anyway, surely it comes down to which country you want to see?

I think you've got some things confused. For instance, you can work for the whole 12 months on an Australian WHV, just not more than six months with any single employer.

The processing time for online applications is 48 hours, or 4 weeks if it's a complex case - that doesn't seem lengthy to me,and the requirements are fairly simple for the one-year WHV.

As for tax - if you are coming for just a year (which many do as they don't want to do manual work), then time it right so you work two half tax years, and you'll get all your tax back on leaving anyway.

MaryRose makes a good point that it is called a Working HOLIDAY visa, so if you're going to come and take a full-time job for the whole period it somewhat defeats the purpose, surely.

I agree with most, however not the bit about the tax. My understanding is that with the new rules, if you're on a WHV, you won't get ANY tax free threshold. So you pay tax (30 something %) from the first dollar you make, and you can't then claim it back.

...and so much more....

You can't leave without seeing the hills region, which is spectacular IMO and the Swan Valley. Further north and further south also, you could stay 6 months and not see it all.

It's worthwhile going to the museum too....good for a hot day (and free!) Get to it on free CAT bus. Indigenous display is very thought provoking.

If I were you I'd go and take a look at a country town not too far from Perth like York or Northam, totally different and some beautiful architecture. A bit of history.

Perth one can pretty much cover over a fortnight IMO. It is not a great tourist city, more a 'lifestyle' city for those that like that sort of thing. The best is getting out and heading north or south into the country.

Unless one has a job, I don't see the really the relevance of a longer stay in Perth considering the high costs here etc. Interesting to compare costs with a like minded city, say Brisbane.

We in Perth are considerably more expensive. Hardly ideal back packing ground, I'd suggest. A real beach lover being a possible exception.

I agree with most, however not the bit about the tax. My understanding is that with the new rules, if you're on a WHV, you won't get ANY tax free threshold. So you pay tax (30 something %) from the first dollar you make, and you can't then claim it back.

Pretty much my understanding as well. Bit of a cheek if you ask me and yet another abuse on that particular market.

We must all feel it differently. While a really hot humid day is awful, I hate those 38's-40's dry head in the oven type days more, specially with a breeze. Find it hard to breathe and just can't stand that really hot dry air blowing all around me...maybe you get used to what your normal is, though I think they're both bad.

I do as well. I got abused on here once for saying I prefer humidity over very hot dry heat. It was suggested I had never experienced the tropics. Amazing.

The "H" in WHV stands for what? Refresh my memory.

If you want to live and work for a short period, then apply for a 457 visa.

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk

No need to get so testy and defensive. I'm just making a point that it's getting a working holiday visa appears to be more appealing and less of a hassle for other countries than it is for Australia. I stand by my opinion.

Hmmm, I've asked around quite a bit and I've been told multiple times is that you cannot work the entire time you are on a Working Holiday Visa as that would be a breach of your visa condition. Perhaps they were mistaken. My point being is that many are saying the Australia WHV is becoming less and less attractive to international travelers while other countries are stepping up their games. Perhaps Oz should revisit their regulations and restrictions with their WHV to become more competitive with other countries.

No need to get so testy and defensive. I'm just making a point that it's getting a working holiday visa appears to be more appealing and less of a hassle for other countries than it is for Australia. I stand by my opinion.

Not testy just pointing out that it is a holiday visa not a working visa.As it happens I think that working for a year with the same employer in the same location is a great way to experience a country but it's not a holiday.

The idea is that you travel around OZ and can work to help pay for it. Different countries have different schemes.So what? Maybe there are disadvantages with their schemes. I'd also like to see the relative popularity of each country too. Maybe you could research that.

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk

Not testy just pointing out that it is a holiday visa not a working visa.As it happens I think that working for a year with the same employer in the same location is a great way to experience a country but it's not a holiday.

The idea is that you travel around OZ and can work to help pay for it. Different countries have different schemes.So what? Maybe there are disadvantages with their schemes. I'd also like to see the relative popularity of each country too. Maybe you could research that.

I did do my research. That is the whole point of my comment; that taking everything into consideration, the Oz WHV has many more restrictions, is much more expensive to purchase and is more complicated to obtain. I made the comment based on the article that was posted that Oz is seeing a decrease in people applying for WHVs as opposed to countries like NZ and Canada. This is what I, as an outsider, perceive of your WHV based on it's current state.

Irregardless, I'm getting a transfer to Oz with my company on a 457 Visa so I no longer have a need to obtain an Oz WHV to attempt to seek sponsorship employment.

Hmmm, I've asked around quite a bit and I've been told multiple times is that you cannot work the entire time you are on a Working Holiday Visa as that would be a breach of your visa condition. Perhaps they were mistaken. My point being is that many are saying the Australia WHV is becoming less and less attractive to international travelers while other countries are stepping up their games. Perhaps Oz should revisit their regulations and restrictions with their WHV to become more competitive with other countries.

If they relaxed the WHV then Fraser Island would just become one huge shlt pit. It's bad enough as it is

If they relaxed the WHV then Fraser Island would just become one huge shlt pit. It's bad enough as it is

Let them have Fraser.

Just don't tell them about Straddy island...

No need we have record numbers coming in now. Just more money in government coffers. Just how many other countries are there anyway?

Oy, can you lot take your "this country's visa is better than that country's visa" discussion elsewhere? I want to read about Stacey's travels, not this drivel! Start your own thread, stop hi-jacking this one...

Where is Stacey's travel?

80 pages in, and I see more posts from others:confused: than Stace.

do this Stace, do that Stace :wacko:

maybe we need a helping Stace page, aswell as a update Page.

Those that have Stace on FB, why not just give your advice FB ?

i thought this would be a warts n all thread....

i want to know what SS thinks of Aus , to hear of her adventures .

Edited by fifi69

Where is Stacey's travel?

80 pages in, and I see more posts from others:confused: than Stace.

do this Stace, do that Stace :wacko:

maybe we need a helping Stace page, aswell as a update Page.

Those that have Stace on FB, why not just give your advice FB ?

i thought this would be a warts n all thread....

i want to know what SS thinks of Aus , to hear of her adventures .

99%of threads get taken of topic at some point so why should this be any different?

Hmmm, I've asked around quite a bit and I've been told multiple times is that you cannot work the entire time you are on a Working Holiday Visa as that would be a breach of your visa condition. Perhaps they were mistaken. .

Yes, they were definitely mistaken. You can work for the full 12 months provided it's not all with one employer. I doubt very much that Oz will "lift its game", though, because there is still huge demand for WHV's even with the higher cost. They might cut the cost and make it easier if demand slows, but otherwise why should they?

Isn't there a blog feature on the forum that is more suited to that? It's hard to police what's a relevant post and what isn't for the Mods I would guess....

The blog feature doesn't seem to be there anymore.

I think this thread was intended to be a travelling blog sort of thing for Stacey but it ended up being a chit chat free for all pretty quick and is now 80 pages of mostly nattering :eek::cute: Even the OP has added plenty to that side of it :cute:

If people wanted to ease off posting in this thread it would be fine I think. Just give Stacey her space and let her update us with her travels and so on as she goes. I'm sure she'd like to easily read her record of her adventures in Aus and not have to wade through 3000 plus pages (which it might be at this rate by the end of a year :laugh: ).

Edited by Guest
added a bit

Guest The Pom Queen
The blog feature doesn't seem to be there anymore.

I think this thread was intended to be a travelling blog sort of thing for Stacey but it ended up being a chit chat free for all pretty quick and is now 80 pages of mostly nattering :eek::cute: Even the OP has added plenty to that side of it :cute:

If people wanted to ease off posting in this thread it would be fine I think. Just give Stacey her space and let her update us with her travels and so on as she goes. I'm sure she'd like to easily read her record of her adventures in Aus and not have to wade through 3000 plus pages (which it might be at this rate by the end of a year :laugh: ).

Or we could have this thread as a general thread and Stacey, once she is settled, could post a thread on different areas, ie a Sydney thread, a Perth one etc.

Or Stacey, if you wish start a new thread and ask people to just keep it to your photos, views etc, and get members to chat to you on here.