My travel thread

Quokka2005

I'm in my pyjamas but Fiona the party animal is still out

Last week, my daughter didn't head out until after 9pm ... I think the younger ones like yourself tend to head out later and stay in the clubs until early morning. I know when we're getting the train at midnight to go home there's plenty getting off and heading into the city for the clubs

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I forgot I can get away with that here!! Nah I left early cos I wasn't that keen on wandering around alone myself. The street my hostel is on isn't the nicest. I got almost to the door without any incidents and then a aboriginal man came up to me but he just gave me a bit of a song and dance so that was fine! I came in and my new best mate was sleeping so he's definitely not the wild Australian in the room, the other one isn't here. He'll probably wake me up at 4

Last week, my daughter didn't head out until after 9pm ... I think the younger ones like yourself tend to head out later and stay in the clubs until early morning. I know when we're getting the train at midnight to go home there's plenty getting off and heading into the city for the clubs

yeah a lot of the young ones were getting on the train when I was getting off. I'm too old now lol we used to head out at 10 or 11 but I'd just be sleeping these days. Maybe be okay on vodka but I only had 2 glasses of wine and if the train had been a long one I would have nodded off lol

Sorry to have missed you in Sydney, next time you are here look me up. X

definitely! I do feel bad that I didn't get to meet you, maryrose, metoo and anybody else that I've forgot to mention but I just didn't like it enough to stay long term. I could have stayed a few more days to do more touristy stuff but I just felt really unsettled and didn't feel very good at that point so thought it was best to leave. I wish I'd went to Manly and taronga zoo etc but I could always go back for a few days before I fly home

Have a good weekend Stacey.

Make the most of job hunting and getting your CV out there asap as I think it'll help you get into the groove a bit and find your feet.

I was thinking about au pair work as you've mentioned it. I don't want to advise but please consider the falling into a rut aspect if you au pair. It means living with a family, babysitting and so on and not earning much money. You can also end up working hard, long days and not having much fun at all (especially if the kids or worse, the parents are not so great). Sure you get free time but if you are stuck miles out in the suburbs you'll be missing out on so many possibles with other backpackers and be tied to a place for a longer period of time.

I'd think au pairing is great if you want to go live and experience a proper way of life with a family in a country for 6-12 months, be in one place and so on but otherwise I don't think its really a travellers/backpackers job. Its too safe in some ways and isn't really seeing the country, its seeing one small place of one part of the country and getting to know it very well (and perhaps being very bored or too comfortable doing it).

And yes, I've done au pairing. I wanted to learn a language better and it seemed like a good idea. But it generally is for longer periods of time and is really only pocket money paid in return for a lot of effort. I'd not do it on a WHV in Aus thats for sure. I view it as a waste of a WHV personally but that is just me. I'm sure you can find something better than au pair work if you start looking in earnest.

Just a few minutes from me as well. In fact walked past it and remarked how full it was at about eight thirtyish. Should have let me know.

Better places than Amani to get livered though in Leederville.

We were in there at the back then. It was packed, good music too. Went back later and it had shut! Had to go to the blue flamingo? Strange place!

Enjoyed meeting Stacey, felt like meeting an new (old) friend. Hope you continue to enjoy Perth and stick around Stacey

Have a good weekend Stacey.

Make the most of job hunting and getting your CV out there asap as I think it'll help you get into the groove a bit and find your feet.

I was thinking about au pair work as you've mentioned it. I don't want to advise but please consider the falling into a rut aspect if you au pair. It means living with a family, babysitting and so on and not earning much money. You can also end up working hard, long days and not having much fun at all (especially if the kids or worse, the parents are not so great). Sure you get free time but if you are stuck miles out in the suburbs you'll be missing out on so many possibles with other backpackers and be tied to a place for a longer period of time.

I'd think au pairing is great if you want to go live and experience a proper way of life with a family in a country for 6-12 months, be in one place and so on but otherwise I don't think its really a travellers/backpackers job. Its too safe in some ways and isn't really seeing the country, its seeing one small place of one part of the country and getting to know it very well (and perhaps being very bored or too comfortable doing it).

And yes, I've done au pairing. I wanted to learn a language better and it seemed like a good idea. But it generally is for longer periods of time and is really only pocket money paid in return for a lot of effort. I'd not do it on a WHV in Aus thats for sure. I view it as a waste of a WHV personally but that is just me. I'm sure you can find something better than au pair work if you start looking in earnest.

I'd agree with all those sentiments. Au pairing is best as you noted, done in a country in order to learn a language. It is not the ideal for a working adventure holiday at all.

Hi Stacey,

I'm new to the forum and am loving this thread! Are you currently on a WHV? I did mine back in 2012 and its that which has spurred me on to now emigrate...

If so are you looking to do your 88days regional work? Are you travelling alone or with friends? :)

I've just realised I sound like a stalker - just interested I promise! If your looking for work I have a few contacts in Victoria for regional work and up in surfers Paradise, happy to share in a PM if they might be useful! :)

Not really keen on doing proper outside work like that in the height of summer unless it was absolute last resort. I'm too much of a wimp at the moment especially the now - fresh off the boat!! I should do it sooner rather than later though incase i really love aus and don't want to leave after first year

Hi Stacey,

I'm new to the forum and am loving this thread! Are you currently on a WHV? I did mine back in 2012 and its that which has spurred me on to now emigrate...

If so are you looking to do your 88days regional work? Are you travelling alone or with friends? :)

I've just realised I sound like a stalker - just interested I promise! If your looking for work I have a few contacts in Victoria for regional work and up in surfers Paradise, happy to share in a PM if they might be useful! :)

hey! Welcome to the forum. That last reply was to Paul, I didn't notice this one. I'm travelling alone. I still feel less lonely at the moment than I did in Sydney. Even though the hostel is the most unfriendly one I've been in so far lol. Yeah I'd definitely be interested in trying my regional work once it cools down a little! When are you emigrating over?

Archived