My travel thread

Quokka2005

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regardless, I'm getting a transfer to Oz with my company on a 457 Visa so I no longer have a need to obtain an Oz WHV to attempt to seek sponsorship employment.

Ah, but the point is that's not what the WHV is for. It's not intended as a pathway to permanent residence, it's intended purely as a way for young people to experience Australia for a year or two and then go home! So it's assumed the young person will want to combine holiday with part-time work, not get stuck in one place working.

Australia gets more than enough people applying for permanent residence, they don't need to offer more generous WHV's as a carrot to attract migrants.

Oi oi what's been going on here then.

Tbh I'm not that bothered about what's said as long as it's massively off topic (I'm the worst person for this!) or as long as it's not abusive towards me or anyone. I haven't really been doing much to put on it yet! I got one or 2 pics yesterday that I'll put up and I'll get lots when I go to Fremantle and rottnest Island soon.

I got completely lost today and I haven't a clue how I managed it. I was near London court and trying to find somewhere that was apparently near St George terrace but I somehow ended up on this random street and even with google maps I was still lost :laugh: I asked this woman who I thought was local but ended up being Scottish too and she gave me directions and told me to go on the yellow bus and gave me her map :laugh: so I didn't find the place I was looking for in the end.

Ive been a proper backpacker and been eating toast instead of eating out and tonight I've had a microwave curry type thing from woolworths. Had a bit of a panic about money Yesterday so that scared me into being careful. I feel like I've spent loads since I left the UK considering I haven't been drinking much or doing tourist stuff.

I think I've to go see someone about a job this week, I got talking to someone on FB I'm not guaranteed to get it or anything and it's not that many hours - only 15 or 20 a week possibly and only $17 but it would do me till I got something else or maybe found another job that fits in with it. So we'll see what happens with that. Tomorrow I'll check out this hostel and I'm going to stay with a friend of a friend for a few days which was kind of them to offer. If I haven't got this job by then I'll probably go stay in a Fremantle hostel and base myself there for a while. I found a hostel that's cheaper than this one and it looks really nice.

Guest The Pom Queen
Oi oi what's been going on here then.

Tbh I'm not that bothered about what's said as long as it's massively off topic (I'm the worst person for this!) or as long as it's not abusive towards me or anyone. I haven't really been doing much to put on it yet! I got one or 2 pics yesterday that I'll put up and I'll get lots when I go to Fremantle and rottnest Island soon.

I got completely lost today and I haven't a clue how I managed it. I was near London court and trying to find somewhere that was apparently near St George terrace but I somehow ended up on this random street and even with google maps I was still lost :laugh: I asked this woman who I thought was local but ended up being Scottish too and she gave me directions and told me to go on the yellow bus and gave me her map :laugh: so I didn't find the place I was looking for in the end.

Ive been a proper backpacker and been eating toast instead of eating out and tonight I've had a microwave curry type thing from woolworths. Had a bit of a panic about money Yesterday so that scared me into being careful. I feel like I've spent loads since I left the UK considering I haven't been drinking much or doing tourist stuff.

I think I've to go see someone about a job this week, I got talking to someone on FB I'm not guaranteed to get it or anything and it's not that many hours - only 15 or 20 a week possibly and only $17 but it would do me till I got something else or maybe found another job that fits in with it. So we'll see what happens with that. Tomorrow I'll check out this hostel and I'm going to stay with a friend of a friend for a few days which was kind of them to offer. If I haven't got this job by then I'll probably go stay in a Fremantle hostel and base myself there for a while. I found a hostel that's cheaper than this one and it looks really nice.

Shush you, anyone would think it was your thread. :tongue:

You say you haven't done a lot to spend money, but read back Hun, already you have seen more of Australia than most locals have seen. Once you get earning you will feel better and meet more people.

Hi. As this is a public page and I'm concerned about my own neice currently backpacking around Australia alone and have been lurking on this section since she arrived, I'd thought I'd join up just to put my ten pence worth to this discussion in what will probably be my first and only post.

I think that Quokka should maybe continue this thread as a private discussion on a private chat page. As I've said, anyone and anyone can see this page, where she's staying etc, we know what she looks like from her profile pic.Its also unwise to be detrimental to fellow roommates unless you are entirely sure of not .bumping into them again. I would be very concerned if my niece was making her travels so public.

I know that you are very eager for advice, but this is the online world.Not everyone has the best intentions. It's not real. Outside the front door is real. Enjoy your experience. Blog your travels when you get back. Just my thoughts as a worried Auntie. No offence meant. x

Edited by Heather
  • Like 1

Welcome to Perf Stacey! I just blinked and you seem to have changed usernames (:eek:) and come around the world.. been hot and cool as well strange end of spring weather... How long are you planning to stay here for? Might be able to arrange something in between work and the children next month!...:cute:

Hi. As this is a public page and I'm concerned about my own neice currently backpacking around Australia alone and have been lurking on this section since she arrived, I'd thought I'd join up just to put my ten pence worth to this discussion in what will probably be my first and only post.

I think that Quokka should maybe continue this thread as a private discussion on a private chat page. As I've said, anyone and anyone can see this page, where she's staying etc, we know what she looks like from her profile pic.Its also unwise to be detrimental to fellow roommates unless you are entirely sure of not .bumping into them again. I would be very concerned if my niece was making her travels so public.

I know that you are very eager for advice, but this is the online world.Not everyone has the best intentions. It's not real. Outside the front door is real. Enjoy your experience. Blog your travels when you get back. Just my thoughts as a worried Auntie. No offence meant. x

I have not noticed anything even vaguely libellous in her threads (apart from very hurtful criticism of my dear Australian friend Sydney).

What has she accused her fellow hosteleers of? Public drunkenness? Licentious behaviour? Turning the lights on to fiddle with suitcases when she is asleep?

Most people who know her name and face are already members of PIO. I suppose someone not a member of PIO might find a post Googling but what would they be searching for in the first place to find her?

The dangerous activities that any backpacker should worry about are things like hitch-hiking or wandering off into the bush on their own, or maybe staying in "rogue" hostels but most hostels (I hope) observe the safety regulations.

There are tens of thousands of young people backpacking around Australia and most travel safely.

Doesn't your niece use social media to record her adventures? Most do. I'd be surprised if she is not on Facebook.

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk

Doesn't your niece use social media to record her adventures? Most do. I'd be surprised if she is not on Facebook.

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk

People can opt to set their FB page and posts to their friends list or selected people only. Here its public viewing. Guests without accounts can view also.

Posting your exact location, your picture publicly etc on a totally public platform is up to the individual. Personally I would never do so but others have no issue doing so. Its personaly choice and perhaps something that some don't fully consider before doing so. I know in the age of social media a lot of stuff gets posted that people probably regret or would rather not have shared in hindsight. Often in this day and age people post without thinking of any possible consequences. Its possibly a generation thing, younger people not being so worried about such things as they grew up in this technology gadget filled world and don't really remember a time before FB or texting.

I'd not be so dismissive of concerns raised. Its a good thing, well meant from what I can see. I can appreciate where Heather is coming from with her concerns, especially about the location. The suggestion to blog about things after the event is a good one IMHO. Do the write up on a place after you have left it sort of thing. That way you are elsewhere and can list where you stayed etc. There are some great online blog sites that are great for traveling. Can write updates afterwards, even weeks or months. Always good to read after the event. Think like the reccie reports or the arrival or settling in reports people write 6 months or a year after landing in Aus. Full of info, news and so on and we enjoy reading those still :)

Edited by Guest
edited

People can opt to set their FB page and posts to their friends list or selected people only. Here its public viewing. Guests without accounts can view also.

Posting your exact location, your picture publicly etc on a totally public platform is up to the individual. Personally I would never do so but others have no issue doing so. Its personaly choice and perhaps something that some don't fully consider before doing so. I know in the age of social media a lot of stuff gets posted that people probably regret or would rather not have shared in hindsight. Often in this day and age people post without thinking of any possible consequences. Its possibly a generation thing, younger people not being so worried about such things as they grew up in this technology gadget filled world and don't really remember a time before FB or texting.

I'd not be so dismissive of concerns raised. Its a good thing, well meant from what I can see. I can appreciate where Heather is coming from with her concerns, especially about the location. The suggestion to blog about things after the event is a good one IMHO. Do the write up on a place after you have left it sort of thing. That way you are elsewhere and can list where you stayed etc. There are some great online blog sites that are great for traveling. Can write updates afterwards, even weeks or months. Always good to read after the event. Think like the reccie reports or the arrival or settling in reports people write 6 months or a year after landing in Aus. Full of info, news and so on and we enjoy reading those still :)

I don't mean to be dismissive and I stand my claim that the real dangers for young people on WHV are things like hitchhiking (which you can see promoted in some magazines/websites aimed at backpackers). I can remember the horrible murders here in NSW a few years ago.

Other potentially stupid and dangerous things to do - going to the beach and not swimming between the flags, and/or swimming when the lifeguards are not on duty, and/or combining swimming or any other activity with drinking. A young backpacker fell off a balcony or down a stairwell in Kings Cross recently I seem to recall. Going bushwalking or camping on your own and not telling anybody where you are going, driving on Outback roads, especially unsealed ones without adequate precautions.

I do sometimes worry about my own posts, especially on controversial subjects. Maybe ASIO has me on a "watch list."

Here are some examples of dangers in Australia:

Australia is a vast country where wildlife can kill, the sunshine can burn and other dangers lurk. Check out our travel tips for staying safe and making your travel around Australia an enjoyable trip:

59. Sun Care – The constant sunshine is appealing but it also is dangerous. Proper care is required with respect to sunburn. A hat, sunglasses, sunblock and adequate clothing is a must.

60. Take cover at the beach – Do your skin a favour, invest a mere $30 and buy a sun shelter beach tent. It'll give you 100% UV proof lining. Go halves with your travel mate and you can spend more time at the beach without being burnt to toast!

61. Wildlife – It's true, Australia is home to many dangerous creatures, so care is a must when bushwalking, at the beach or in the bush. Even cute kangaroos can be pack a (deadly) mean upper-cut... if provoked.

62. Don’t wander off – You might think that you are Bear Grilles but going into the wild in Australia is fraught with danger. Bush walking is popular with tourists but be careful and stay on the bushwalk tracks.

63. Emergency Services Numbers - Call 000 for the emergency services anywhere in Australia.

64. Protect your wallet – As always, watch out for credit card thieves and skimmers. Be vigilant with ATM's as criminal gangs have been known to set up dummy ATM card readers coupled with mini-cameras which can read PIN numbers from as far away as 100 metres.

65. The ATM ate my card! – Imagine the scene: you‟re 10,000kms away from your local bank but the ATM eats your card! If possible try to keep use of ATM's during business hours at a bank. That way, you‟ll be able to have it retrieved much easier.

66. Secure your documents – Spare yourself some drama by storing your passport and traveller's cheques safely. Also, make digital copies of your passport, traveller’s cheques and emergency numbers then email it to yourself or store in Google Docs.

67. Personal safety – If you're not able to drive and need a taxi, stay safe and only use a registered taxi.

(http://www.britz.com.au/travel-guide-australia/pages/101-travel-tips-for-enjoying-australia-on-a-budget.asp)

http://www.australia.com/en/planning/tips-hazards.html

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Heather, it doesn't have to be your last post, please stay around.

Stacey has been a member of the forum for years now and has gained lots of friendships on here. To her she is sharing her experience with these friends.

I do understand your concerns for her safety but unfortunately in today's world who can guarantee anyone's safety. The world is a lot different to when we were young. I think she has more chance of being hit by a bus than a stalker tracking her on here, but I agree the odds are still there. One good thing is that everyone does know where she is and what her plans are so if she does go AWOL we know to be concerned. How many backpackers jump in a car and head out in to the outback where it is so remote and no one knows they have gone.

I'm sorry I think that anyone is crackers to think they now want to go and stalk someone. Yes we know what she looks like, yes we know where she is. So does anyone on my FB page,but really I am the only person interested in my children. Know one else is interested that they ate spaghetti today and have covered their face in it! Yes she is taking a risk, some ridiculous minute chance that some weirdo stalks PIO to find a gingetish/ Scottish chic who is likely to succumb to his/ her chalms...

the risk she is taking here is people she has chatted with online over the past years are likely to offer her great advice and friendship... And possibly a christmas dinner! I hate the patronising bs.,. She's a big girl leave her alone!

3 of the people who called me ginger were in Sydney lol that's why I left haha. I'll call myself strawberry blonde.

Well I had a very busy day thanks to one lovely pio member. She took me to fremantle for the day then we went a drive to the posh areas. Then we went to kings park for a look. Lovely views there.

Heather definitely has a point - I'm probably not always the safest person. Although I'm not bothering about what I say about room mates because I'd never say anything really bad. Well except about those girls in the Sydney hostel but they said worse! Anybody who stalked me would soon get very bored!

3 of the people who called me ginger were in Sydney lol that's why I left haha. I'll call myself strawberry blonde.

You'll be ginger here most likely. Or some other less favourable term :skeptical:

Guest The Pom Queen
I'm supoosed to be blonde though :(

Umm.. Well I did like Fremantle but probably not as much as I was expecting. Its nice though, its got some nice buildings. I hope somewhere I go really does gobsmack me lol. Probably be somewhere like Whitsundays

Whitsundays is lovely but can't beat Cairns :tongue: although @Bobj is near there so it comes very close