My travel thread

Quokka2005

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure it'll still hit me. And the flies haha. But so far I'm fine. Although my hairs went a mess so I must have been sweating at some point although the wind didn't help it either :laugh:

ive had a nice day. Just wandered around at my own pace. The guy in the lucky shag was like "next time you'll have to bring your passport instead" and I said I've got it. And then he narrowed his eyes at me and said "hmmm I believe you this time" :laugh: I did though! I only had a lemonade anyway.

I'm liking it a lot more so far. I haven't been to see that much yet though. Just really been wandering around the same areas. Ive still got to see kings park, rottnest Island (obviously!!!) and Fremantle.

...and so much more....

You can't leave without seeing the hills region, which is spectacular IMO and the Swan Valley. Further north and further south also, you could stay 6 months and not see it all.

It's worthwhile going to the museum too....good for a hot day (and free!) Get to it on free CAT bus. Indigenous display is very thought provoking.

If I were you I'd go and take a look at a country town not too far from Perth like York or Northam, totally different and some beautiful architecture. A bit of history.

I'm liking it a lot more so far. I haven't been to see that much yet though. Just really been wandering around the same areas. Ive still got to see kings park, rottnest Island (obviously!!!) and Fremantle.

Every Australian city I've been to apart from Sydney feels more like a big town, Sydney feels like a fast paced international city to me, probably not the most relaxing place when you first arrive, enjoy your time, you are missing the snow in Scotland at the moment, I'm sure you'll be most disappointed :laugh:

Every Australian city I've been to apart from Sydney feels more like a big town, Sydney feels like a fast paced international city to me, probably not the most relaxing place when you first arrive, enjoy your time, you are missing the snow in Scotland at the moment, I'm sure you'll be most disappointed :laugh:

im absolutely gutted that I'm missing minus 3 and slush.. I did feel a bit homesick though when I noticed my towns Xmas market and my family were there. But they've all told me that I'm not missing out on anything at all back home and to stay as long as possible if I find work.

The moron I share my room with decided to leave the window wide open with the lights on when he went out so no doubt I'll get a few more bites!

im absolutely gutted that I'm missing minus 3 and slush.. I did feel a bit homesick though when I noticed my towns Xmas market and my family were there. But they've all told me that I'm not missing out on anything at all back home and to stay as long as possible if I find work.

The moron I share my room with decided to leave the window wide open with the lights on when he went out so no doubt I'll get a few more bites!

Surely you learned about Vitamin B1 from PIO? It has to be Vitamin B1, not any other B vitamin, so don't let the chemist sell you the wrong thing - but one a day will prevent you being bitten by mosquitos.

It's natural to feel a bit homesick, especially at this time of year, but hang on in and get yourself a job, once you are working and have your own room you'll feel a lot better, you've made a massive effort to get downunder, may as well make the most of it.

Oh yeah, and get yourself some Aerogard.

See, I had a suspicion we'd got you too worried about the heat. It makes a huge difference how humid it is - it's the humidity that's horrible, not the heat really. Perth is not so humid so that's why it feels OK.

We must all feel it differently. While a really hot humid day is awful, I hate those 38's-40's dry head in the oven type days more, specially with a breeze. Find it hard to breathe and just can't stand that really hot dry air blowing all around me...maybe you get used to what your normal is, though I think they're both bad.

We must all feel it differently. While a really hot humid day is awful, I hate those 38's-40's dry head in the oven type days more, specially with a breeze. Find it hard to breathe and just can't stand that really hot dry air blowing all around me...maybe you get used to what your normal is, though I think they're both bad.

Oh but what I'd give to have the Australian 'hot dry air' blowing all around me right now..:laugh: May i point out im currently sat in the middle of a field, wearing 3 pairs of socks with my bones rattling from the cold! :P

Oh but what I'd give to have the Australian 'hot dry air' blowing all around me right now..:laugh: May i point out im currently sat in the middle of a field, wearing 3 pairs of socks with my bones rattling from the cold! :P

Get up, look in all directions for stones stacked one upon another with some type of tile or thatch on top and make for it post haste ;)

There must be something in the air tonight! That's both my room mates chatted to me haha. The Australian guy is actually really nice even if I still want to cut his man bun off :laugh: He was saying how expensive he finds Perth. He seemed rather surprised that I didn't like Sydney. Said the east coast is definitely better. Then the other guy spoke to me not long ago. He's on a WHV too. I caught him staring at my boobs a few times though when he was talking :dull: Got one more night in here tomorrow and then I'm off to stay with someone for a few days to buy myself a bit longer time to get sorted

I was in Perth 37 years ago this month, Travel Mates hostel in Newcastle St, either 396 or 496. I made sudden snap decision to leave Perth and get bus to Adelaide at end of Nov, frustrated after a month of fruitless job hunting.

I was lonely in Adelaide after a month with friends in Perth and nearly went back. It was only talking to two Swedish guys who were heading to Sydney and I arranged to meet them on the steps of the Opera House that I changed my mind again. Took me another two months to get a job, end of January.

Looking back I wish I'd said @@@@ looking for a job and just bludged over the summer in Perth.

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk

Now I have another male roomie. He's from Melbourne, chatty and friendly. Offered us a lift up north if we wanted. I was tempted to say just drop me off somewhere where there's some kangaroos :laugh:

You don't have to leave Perth metro for wild kangaroos - Perth Hills National Park is amazing, especially if you camp over, parrots and cockatoos are amazing too.

Or take a walk alone the Swan to Heirisson Island - from Barrack Street Pier it's only two miles and a gorgeous walk. Not quite the same as the wild though.

Australia is a very difficult place for a young person to survive on a WHV. The numerous requirements, lengthy processing times and ridiculously high application fees make it less appealing then other countries. For instance, New Zealand is allowing Canadians up the the age of 35 to apply for a 23 month working holiday visa, and you are allowed to work for the entire term, full or part-time, even for the same employer for the whole time, if you so choose. The application fee is only $165 NZ ($137 CAD), plus, you pay less tax on your earnings than you would in Australia. Australia also only allows you to work for a maximum of 6 months; so you had better bring lots of $$$ is you wish to survive for one year in Oz. Canada is seeing an exponential increase in WHV visitors, especially from Europe and Asia. Good for our tourism and economy.

Edited by Canada2Australia