My travel thread

Quokka2005

I dare say. Hope you have protective bars as to not fall out of bed during the night. I rather liked top bunks and view the world from a height. How many bunks in your room. Last time I has such accommodation (London) there was three in the room (six people, when complete occupancy)

The set up is really weird - its 4 beds but the other bed is a double bed with a couple in it. Its just really weird to me. They have a 16 bed room in here apparently!

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The set up is really weird - its 4 beds but the other bed is a double bed with a couple in it. Its just really weird to me. They have a 16 bed room in here apparently!

It certainly sounds wacky. Don't fancy the 16 bed dorm though. There are three I think in Fremantle. Although the Australia Hotel is closed, so perhaps only two left. Are you enjoying Fremantle? Different vibe than Perth.

It certainly sounds wacky. Don't fancy the 16 bed dorm though. There are three I think in Fremantle. Although the Australia Hotel is closed, so perhaps only two left. Are you enjoying Fremantle? Different vibe than Perth.

Yeah I like freo! I wanted to stay here before I decided regional would be a better way of saving

Never been at night. I like the fishing harbour and beach area very much though. We always go to sweet lips for battered feta and fish and chips.

I love Perth City at night especially in the Summer.

Perth rocks. (in comparison) Freo merely a poor cousin for the real thing. Shame most the indy coffee houses have gone in South Terrace these days. Gino still reels them in though. Most rest chain. Could be anywhere. Certainly not as 'cool' as a decade or more back. I guess the Hippies and alternatives have been priced out. Fremantle once prided itself in being a little different.

Still a city with a port in its centre can hardly be too bad. Even if the port is a shade of its former self. The Italian influence, is waning by the year. Shame. It added something to the ambiance of the place when so many Italians once gathered to talk....

Perth rocks. (in comparison) Freo merely a poor cousin for the real thing. Shame most the indy coffee houses have gone in South Terrace these days. Gino still reels them in though. Most rest chain. Could be anywhere. Certainly not as 'cool' as a decade or more back. I guess the Hippies and alternatives have been priced out. Fremantle once prided itself in being a little different.

Still a city with a port in its centre can hardly be too bad. Even if the port is a shade of its former self. The Italian influence, is waning by the year. Shame. It added something to the ambiance of the place when so many Italians once gathered to talk....

Yes, that's how I remember Fremantle ............... the Italian influence. I went into an ice cream shop one day and the lovely Italian owner said "You are Scottish. Wonderful! I spent the happiest years of my youth there". I asked him was he working there and he replied "No, I was a prisoner of war. I worked on a farm during the daytime and the locals were so kind to me. I married a Scottish girl". He invited me to meet his wife in the flat above the shop. Spent a lovely afternoon in their company. That was over 30 years ago. Never forgotten him.

Last time we went...25th Oct, it was the Blessing of the Fleet...so many Italians I though I was in Italy:) I swear to God we walked past one boat and it was playing a scene from the Godfather really loudly from the TV or stereo or something! Great atmosphere and the parade was a sight to see.

What. You don't get what some refer as The Jewel In The Crown in the Metro context. Some would go further and say WA. Shame on you. Such an ardent supporter of most things WA as well....

Maybe I haven't seen it all? I must admit only really done the jail tour and visited the Harbour area and surrounds. Sure there's a lot more to it?

[/b]

Last time we went...25th Oct, it was the Blessing of the Fleet...so many Italians I though I was in Italy:) I swear to God we walked past one boat and it was playing a scene from the Godfather really loudly from the TV or stereo or something! Great atmosphere and the parade was a sight to see.

Yes I know. But I recall fondly when Freo was really Italian. More Italian spoken on a Sunday than English. A tough working class port town, with so many southern European immigrants was interesting to say the least. More a tourist centre these days.

Yes I know. But I recall fondly when Freo was really Italian. More Italian spoken on a Sunday than English. A tough working class port town, with so many southern European immigrants was interesting to say the least. More a tourist centre these days.

I love Italians....fiesty buggers the women are....speak their mind...often shout it....I must get around to learning the language one day. There's an Italian club in Freo isn't there? OH went to a few Stirling lions football matches, said they were very welcoming...lots of Italians, Macedonians etc in Balcatta, Noranda, North Perth and surrounds.

Edited by HappyHeart

Maybe I haven't seen it all? I must admit only really done the jail tour and visited the Harbour area and surrounds. Sure there's a lot more to it?

Well hardly a large area. It is more the lingering Med influence I suspect that makes it. I'm not sure what you would be missing. More a case of just sitting with a coffee and dreaming of elsewhere.

I like port cities and ships so Fremantle does it for me in that sense. Yesterday, after doing what I had to do, took my book down to Bathers Beach and read for three quarters of an hour.

Good to see that beach is catching on. Area seems far better since MacDonald's moved out.

Well hardly a large area. It is more the lingering Med influence I suspect that makes it. I'm not sure what you would be missing. More a case of just sitting with a coffee and dreaming of elsewhere.

I like port cities and ships so Fremantle does it for me in that sense. Yesterday, after doing what I had to do, took my book down to Bathers Beach and read for three quarters of an hour.

Good to see that beach is catching on. Area seems far better since MacDonald's moved out.

Can't believe they put a Maccas there, the Dome gone too? It looked nice when we went, like it had been redeveloped. We like that beach, never knew it was called Bathers though

Can't believe they put a Maccas there, the Dome gone too? It looked nice when we went, like it had been redeveloped. We like that beach, never knew it was called Bathers though

Don't you remember Macca's? Apparently not. I don't recall when they called it a day. Not too many years back. There was never a lot of bathering done in former years that I noticed anyway. Yesterday think around five people went for a dip during the time I was there.