My travel thread

Quokka2005

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yep that's all I have. It's still more than some people though. I can't understand why some come with like £800. I'm really not keen on Sydney so far (from what I've been to so far which I suppose actually isn't much). I liked coogee because it was relaxed and I'm going to the harbour very soon and I'll probably like that

I was actually disappointed with my first sight of Sydney Harbour. It was a dull, grey day and very humid and I suppose I was jet lagged too. I just thought Ho Hum. It is lovely really though but a massive tourist attraction so of course that area is always very busy. When your foot is feeling better, walk from the Opera House through the Domain/Botanic Garden. Very nice on a sunny day. Take a little picnic with you.

yep that's all I have. It's still more than some people though. I can't understand why some come with like £800. I'm really not keen on Sydney so far (from what I've been to so far which I suppose actually isn't much). I liked coogee because it was relaxed and I'm going to the harbour very soon and I'll probably like that

I know some come with very little. In the days when things were cheaper and exploitation was less prevalent that may have been fine. I'm not a great fan of Sydney myself. But not that familiar with it. Melbourne might be more to your liking? It is mine.

Be careful though not to be open to abuse out of economic need due to spending your savings. I'd say look for something, half decent while still in a position to chose and walk away from if they try and play silly buggers with you.

you don't need a flat mate do you.. I think I'm moving hostels. I'm not that keen on this one and most of my group are leaving on money to go do some surf camp thing. So if they'll refund me I'm going to go to my original choice which is smaller and cheaper

If it was 2 bedroom yes but unfortunately it's only one....

Melbourne is an ace city, very different to Sydney but both have their pros and cons....

With regard to Sydney, it may be one of the more expensive places in Australia to live / work etc but it's also the place with most opportunities and the best paying jobs IMO (unless your a miner in WA - although all that is dying off now!)

Sorry to barge in I was reading this thread with interest and as a Podiatrist thought I would give you my 2 cents on your injury. It looks like you have sprained one of the ligaments. Just think RICE. Rest, Ice, Compression (get a support stocking from Chemist Warehouse), Elevation (try to keep foot elevated as much as possible). If it was broken it would be very unlikely that you could walk on it. If it is still very sore in a few days I would recommend going to the Drs and requesting an x-ray as a precuation. If it is really painful you could also consider taking some NSAIDS (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs), which well help any localised inflammation and helpd speed up the healing process. Good luck!

Edited by ajs604

Guest The Pom Queen

Stacey don't forget you can live in our house as I'm not going to be here. Plenty of jobs being offered in the local shopping centre which is a ten minute walk. Or if you prefer to be with someone. My son has a house share over in Douglas, most of them are heading back up to Cairns for Xmas they leave in a few weeks and won't be back until Feb. So between ours and his you would have 3 months free accommodation and have a job to save.

Stacey don't forget you can live in our house as I'm not going to be here. Plenty of jobs being offered in the local shopping centre which is a ten minute walk. Or if you prefer to be with someone. My son has a house share over in Douglas, most of them are heading back up to Cairns for Xmas they leave in a few weeks and won't be back until Feb. So between ours and his you would have 3 months free accommodation and have a job to save.

Wow! What a fabulous opportunity for Stacey.

I'm really not keen on Sydney so far (from what I've been to so far which I suppose actually isn't much)

You have hardly been anywhere in less than a week to be making that call.

Although personally I would absolutely hate to be in a CBD hostel. Shudder could not think of anything worse personally. Too polluted, too crowded, too buzzy and too stressful for me.

I rarely go into the CBD. Been only twice this year so far.

And I was somewhat surprised when you said you were going there from the beach location.

Somewhere like Coogee, Bronte, Tamarama, Manly or Avalon backpackers would be so much nicer to stay in long term. Even Potts Point is better than being slap bang in the middle of Sydney.

Stacy needs to be where the jobs are though. The centre is a good place to start. If nothing else to tick of the icons from the list and get a feel for the next move. She hasn't got a lot of funds to play with, so really by the end of the second week something should be sorted money wise.

I would agree somewhere like Coogee would be more palatable longer term. Probably best to cast the job searching net further afield than Sydney as well. I think Melbourne would be more Stacy's place, but a job even for a couple of weeks is what is needed now to get into the swing of things.

They basically said get out of Sydney because it's far too expensive and so much competition for jobs.

That is one way of looking at it.

But I think the opposite because:

The smaller the place, the less jobs available, less wages as more likely casual or part-time work only (i.e.) more people applying for fewer jobs so greater competition.

Whilst there is competition here for jobs, at least they are pretty plentiful, usually well paid, often full time, and you have more opportunity of securing one quickly.

As I have said several times now and as JHouse101 has just said: Sydney is the place with most opportunities and the best paying jobs.

Sydney is only as expensive as you make it. There are hundreds of free activities in Sydney, so you can easily live here quite cheaply if you choose to.

They were also saying why do people want to come over and work straight away when you've just spent 6 months or a year working to save up.

Err pretty obvious. So you can accrue more money for your travels......whilst have a bloody good time and lovely lifestyle at the same time.

Summer is the time to spend in Sydney; not winter.

When winter hits in Sydney, you head north to warmer climates. Which coincides with the end of the wet / beginning of the dry. Plus more jobs up north then like fruit picking. Also hospitality jobs because the wet is ending and the tourists are returning en mass.

Edited by jumpingjellybean
spelling

Stacy needs to be where the jobs are though. The centre is a good place to start.

Yes but you can easily live in any of those places I mentioned (except Avalon), and easily get to the CBD centre by train, ferry, car or bus.

From Potts Point you can even walk.

You don't need to live slap bang in the centre to benefit from working in it.

And there are loads of jobs on the beaches away from the CBD too.

Does not help that Wake Up hostel is near Central Station which is a really horrible location. IMHO at least.

So Stacey - How is the job hunting going? Have you done any? Have you registered with any agencies. Or are you just intent on being a tourist for a few weeks?

If you can, hire a car with a few other backpackers to keep the cost down, and explore the outer suburbs. Driving north to Wisemans Ferry to St Albans and along to Spencer is a lovely drive. Nice pub at St Albans too. Maybe driving along the Convict Route to The Hunter Valley. Ku-ring-gai National Park drive up to West Head lookout and then drive around to Akuna Bay and then Cottage Point extends from that. Some nice waterfalls and swimming holes along the way. You can then drive out via Church Point and up to Palm Beach. Maybe get the ferry over to Great Mackerel Beach. Take a picnic and make a day of it, or get fish & chips along the way. Or drive south to The Royal National Park. So many options for nice day trips only an hour from the CBD. Plus you may even find a job in one of those places. Jonah's Restaurant & Boutique Hotel in Palm Beach are currently looking for wait staff. Working in Palm beach and staying at the Avalon backpackers - well I could think of worse ways to spend my summer.

Or what about this: https://www.sidekicker.com.au/become-a-sidekick/

I hope Stacey's head isn't spinning too much, with the copious amounts of suggestions, opinions and advice being provided.

She will be auditioning for The Exorcist very soon. Given all her head spinning; she will be a star.

Stacey asked for advice. People have held her hand and guided her the entire trip almost. Not many backpackers get that. I would have loved so many different options offered for free, when I was on my WHV - alas the internet did not exist then and I had to rely on myself.

So maybe she should be a little bit more independent and ignore us (well me anyway) :laugh:

Got a long list of jobs, recruitment agencies and jobs I know that are happy to take WHV, that I was going to type up. But maybe more fun for Stacey to find them herself. I will bow out.

She will be auditioning for The Exorcist very soon. Given all her head spinning; she will be a star.

Stacey asked for advice. People have held her hand and guided her the entire trip almost. Not many backpackers get that. I would have loved so many different options offered for free, when I was on my WHV - alas the internet did not exist then and I had to rely on myself.

So maybe she should be a little bit more independent and ignore us (well me anyway) :laugh:

Got a long list of jobs, recruitment agencies and jobs I know that are happy to take WHV, that I was going to type up. But maybe more fun for Stacey to find them herself. I will bow out.

Type it up for Stacey, I think it's fabulous so many of us care and want to help, why stop now.

lots of us have followed and helped a lot longer than you have, followed her ups and downs and will continue because that's what PIO should all be about.

Do agree that Stacey (sorry shouldn't talk in the 3rd person) probably needs to analyse all that has been suggested.

I suspect Stacy will get on just fine without constant forum intervention. Best allow her to tell her story as she sees fit. There is a ton of information out there for back packers from those on the spot. It is after all a very well trodden path.

I am sure so much exposure is a good or bad thing. It can be a bit of an over kill at times I suspect.

So working on your principle Marisa:

Stacey just skip the Whitsundays beaches because they are just beaches; they are not as awe-inspiring like the Maldives!

I did NOT tell Stacey to "skip" anything - I put the word PRIORITIES in capitals for a reason.

When my niece came on her WHV, she started out in Sydney, got a good contact in an events company and got lots of work, and made a group of friends. She was so busy having a good time (and spending all her money doing it), that she never got around to travelling - until about three months before she was due to go home. So she set off to explore the rest of the country, and when she got to Queensland she was REALLY upset that she'd left it so late, because there were so many things she wanted to do, and places she would've liked to stay for longer. She didn't even make it to the Northern Territory.

However she did better than her Canadian friend, who also lingered in Sydney too long, and just when she was about to join my niece on her trip, she had to go back home early for some family emergency - so she never saw the rest of Australia at all.

So, that's why I think when you're on a WHV, you should complete this sentence:

"I'll be really upset if I go back home without seeing ......"

Whatever sights or places you tag on to the end of that sentence, I think that's where you should go first - because even though you think you've got a whole year to get there, things happen. Stacey could run out of money, or break the other ankle, or get swept off her feet by a gorgeous Scottish hunk who's about to go home.

Once you know you've got the most important things done, you can always go back and check out the things people say you've missed.

Is $7,000 all Stacey has to play with? Not a lot. I'd be looking for a job in Sydney if that was the case and get a base for summer before moving up the coast in half a year hopefully with a replenished kitty. Although not sure how much one could actually save in Sydney to be honest. At least she'd likely enjoy her time and discover what Australia's biggest and most happening city has to offer.

Perhaps a remote location could come later as a contrast such as a road house or pub? She really must get up to FNQ, regardless of whether she misses WA IMO. I suppose that depends if or not she does a second year. Then the whole of Australia can be easily covered. It's big but not as hard to do again IMO, as some may suggest.

I think WA (Perth) would have been a better place to start where she knows people (from PIO) has support etc....then go down South over Summer, jobs...then move to East coast in Spring, moving up to FNQ in Winter then across the top and into North WA. Anti clockwise from Perth. Fits the weather as Stace doesn't like the extreme heat. Just my 2 penneth

Haha thanks everyone. I'm still completely confused but never mind lol I'll figure it out.

I Spent my day on darling harbour on a cruise. It was lovely, I was a bit uptight at first but I soon relaxed. I got some really nice pictures but I haven't had a chance to get on the PC. I'll try do that tomorrow morning. We had lovely weather, quite a lot of people got sunburn. So far I think I'm ok but we'll see once I've had my shower!

I I have to admit when I first went past the bridge and opera house I didn't really feel anything. I was expecting to be really excited. Although the second time I went past I did start to appreciate how nice the scenery is. I don't think I'll ever like the CBD though, could be anywhere like Manchester etc.

im going to ask if they'll refund my second week in wakeup

Haha thanks everyone. I'm still completely confused but never mind lol I'll figure it out.

I Spent my day on darling harbour on a cruise. It was lovely, I was a bit uptight at first but I soon relaxed. I got some really nice pictures but I haven't had a chance to get on the PC. I'll try do that tomorrow morning. We had lovely weather, quite a lot of people got sunburn. So far I think I'm ok but we'll see once I've had my shower!

I I have to admit when I first went past the bridge and opera house I didn't really feel anything. I was expecting to be really excited. Although the second time I went past I did start to appreciate how nice the scenery is. I don't think I'll ever like the CBD though, could be anywhere like Manchester etc.

im going to ask if they'll refund my second week in wakeup

With regard to the CBD - agree with you - just like any other city - shops, offices and crowds. The QVB (Queen Victoria Building) is worth walking around though. Have you been there yet? It's next to Town Hall.

I suspect Stacy will get on just fine without constant forum intervention. Best allow her to tell her story as she sees fit. There is a ton of information out there for back packers from those on the spot. It is after all a very well trodden path.

I am sure so much exposure is a good or bad thing. It can be a bit of an over kill at times I suspect.

I was thinking exactly the same this morning, in fact I made a promise to myself to stop giving her advise.

I think we are all getting her in more of a spin and especially those of us a bit older that have 'been there, done that' should take a step back and let her do it more herself.

Different if she asks for factual info or is really in some kind of trouble but decisions like 'should I go to Melbourne or stay in Sydney' are hers and hers alone to make and there is no right answer.

Just my opinion of course but I think we should all back off and let her find her way, otherwise it won't be her journey. As I said to her not so long ago some of my most treasured memories come from my worst mistakes so she should be allowed to make some!

I always find the cbd of Sydney away from the harbour to be pretty ugly, much prefer Melbourne out of the two big cities. Certainly aren't alone in finding the cbd pretty average. Saying that I usually stay around Coogee which I Love.