My travel thread

Quokka2005

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quite a few of the girls are talking about leaving Sydney and going up the east coast. I'm not going up east Coast but I don't know wether to stay in Sydney or not. It's expensive and I don't know wether I'd even save any money when I work. I really don't want to run out of money and have to go home

Most people save money when they work.... whilst having a bloody excellent time in Sydney to boot.

It is only as expensive as you make it. You can have good time here on next to nothing; if you use your brains.

You need to find work. Give it at least 6-12 weeks in Sydney actively looking for work everyday before moving on.

Have you been to any of those places (jobs) that Maryrose has posted yet?

Stop getting taxis everywhere and you will be fine!

Edited by jumpingjellybean
Spelling

Sorry about your ankle and blocked card Stace, but hopefully things will only get better. Aus loves a tryer.

Im sure your going to love it in Central Sydney, its got a real good vibe going on and so much to do. I found the areas around the opera house and Darling harbour much cheaper for food and drink than were we stayed about an hour out of Sydney, so hopefully you can get a cheapish meal there and soak up the atmosphere.

Just remember its still early days, in your head your still converting back to pounds. Once your working and not dipping into your savings it will seem cheaper.

Try not to give up an opportunity, if you know its the only time you may get to do/see it. Not much point heading home and wishing you had done something but felt you couldn't because of money. You may never get the chance again xx

Went to a Xmas dinner at a restaurant on South Bank in my early days here, where a glass of red was $6.....................they didn't even try to hide the fact that they were pouring it from a $7 4litre box. Needless to say, they went bust later.

All the house wine in the pubs in Southampton are from a tap, not from a bottle.

Oh buggar. I'm supposed to be walking for 3 or 4 hours tomorrow. Why am I having such bad luck between this and Santander blocking my bank card this week :(

What did I miss? When did you hurt your ankle? Why didn't you go to the doctor? Definitely don't walk on it tomorrow, you'll just make it worse then you'll end up missing out on even more stuff later on. Go to the doc at Bondi Junction, get it strapped up professionally.

Did you forget to tell Santander you were going to Singapore? You always need to tell them in advance which countries you're going to and when, otherwise every time they see a foreign transaction they'll block the card again.

Yeah I'm going to give it 2 weeks of a few tourist things in Sydney while also looking for work too and then I'm sure I'll have a better idea of a plan. I've even thought about doing au pair work till after new year so I can at least stay here over Xmas and new year without spending much money. I'll have a fun week this week and see how it goes. I haven't dipped into my actual savings yet other than $50 which I still have. I used the $165 that my aunt and cousin gave me in notes though but that included the airport taxi. I only got the taxi because I didn't have a clue where I was going and it was hammering it down

What did I miss? When did you hurt your ankle? Why didn't you go to the doctor? Definitely don't walk on it tomorrow, you'll just make it worse then you'll end up missing out on even more stuff later on. Go to the doc at Bondi Junction, get it strapped up professionally.

Did you forget to tell Santander you were going to Singapore? You always need to tell them in advance which countries you're going to and when, otherwise every time they see a foreign transaction they'll block the card again.

i fell over a pavement in coogee and it's all bruised. It's definitely better than earlier though pain wise. I'll see how it is in the morning. I don't have Medicare yet though since I've just arrived so how would that work for payment wise, just pay it and then claim it back?

I did tell Santander - told them I was going to Singapore and Australia so to put it on my account and that I would also be transferring money. As soon as I tried to transfer money they blocked it. Idiots. I spent a fortune trying to phone them to get it sorted but it let me take money out yesterday so that's it sorted

i fell over a pavement in coogee and it's all bruised. It's definitely better than earlier though pain wise. I'll see how it is in the morning. I don't have Medicare yet though since I've just arrived so how would that work for payment wise, just pay it and then claim it back?

Good question, I'd suggest just popping into one of the local medical centres and asking them. I'm just a bit worried as I did the same thing as you - I was walking on a mountain at Thredbo, but I didn't do anything dramatic like falling down a crevasse - I just went over my ankle. It hurt but it was bearable - I walked the 5 km back down the mountain. Turned out I'd broken a tiny bone.

Yeah I decided I'm going to save my money for taronga zoo and probably just go myself for some peace and quiet unless I meet anybody else that wants to go

You know what? If you like zoos in general, then go. Otherwise, save the very expensive entry fee. Why spend a day looking at a load of animals, the vast majority of which aren't even from Australia? I thought you were having to go as part of the group, otherwise I'd have said so before. On your travels you'll see plenty of koala sanctuaries and wildlife parks that will let you get much closer to native animals than Taronga does.

At Taronga, it's hard to even see the koalas in the enclosure, they're that far away. Whereas we went to a koala sanctuary in Perth, where we were so close we were able to stroke their backs.

Edited by Marisawright

Ouch that looks painful, rest up a bit and maybe pop to a pharmacy? I have seen medicare centre's in shopping centre's in Sydney, I think one I saw was at macquarie shopping centre which is a little out of the way but sure others are around the city. I agree with Fifi that food is cheaper at Darling Habour especially in the food court area.

Good luck on the job hunt I am sure your find something if your persistent enough :)

I did tell Santander - told them I was going to Singapore and Australia so to put it on my account and that I would also be transferring money. As soon as I tried to transfer money they blocked it. Idiots. I spent a fortune trying to phone them to get it sorted but it let me take money out yesterday so that's it sorted

When I phone my UK bank, I always get them to refund the call. They pay it back in pounds into your account .

Yeah I reckon unless I feel miraculously better than I'll scrap the walk and go to the chemist or doctors and maybe get some sort of bandage or something. The cold has helped it a bit. I do bruise really bad anyway tbh, the size of the bruise on my leg when I fell at work. It was almost black! Just gutted at missing the group walk. I feel like between not going out tonight and missing that I won't mix with new people especially when I'm quite shy. So I might as well not have paid for the package when it was expensive to begin with. I'll see how I feel in the morning about things

Stace the Pavillion is part of the Merivale Group and they are currently looking to employ a heap of staff across the group including staff for a new place they are opening in Oxford street. As well as bar staff they are also looking for wait staff which is something you have experience in. The jobs won't sit there waiting for you though so if you are interested you will need to get onto them. This link will take you to a list of all the different jobs they are looking to fill.

http://merivale.com.au/careers

I'm in a room full of German or Dutch people and I've worked out that they are talking about goon because they just said "May contain fish and eggs....ewwwww". :laugh:

Almost every wine 'may contain fish' - there are some special 'vegetarian' wines but most contain isinglass which is derived from fish.

It probably comes down to different labelling requirements in difference countries but most Australian wines will say “Contains: Milk, Egg, Fish" to comply with allergy labelling requirements. This is no different to any wine regardless of country of origin - cask or otherwise.

We routinely drank cask wine and perfect (out of the box!) for smuggling into 'no alcohol' places ;) Though our favourite was clean skins - the WA ones were almost guaranteed to be good quality.

I feel like between not going out tonight and missing that I won't mix with new people especially when I'm quite shy. So I might as well not have paid for the package when it was expensive to begin with.

So you wasted a bit of money - sh!t happens. We all make mistakes, or something comes along and stuffs up what we planned - that's life! You don't need to find new friends in your first week, you've got plenty time. You'll be fine!

Edited by Marisawright

So you wasted a bit of money - sh!t happens. We all make mistakes, or something comes along and stuffs up what we planned - that's life! You don't need to find new friends in your first week, you've got plenty time.

You're right of course but it wasn't 'a bit of money' it was a lot of money!