My travel thread

Quokka2005

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surfing.. I'd need to learn to swim first lol. A lot of the girls are doing a surf camp thing, they go away for 5 days somewhere and learn.

Some of them are starting the east coast in 2 weeks. I'm tempted to possibly see if I can change my second week booking and maybe go to a smaller hostel like nates. Not sure if they would refund me though so if they don't then I'll leave it and just stay in this one

You might enjoy visiting the Hyde Park Barracks as well Stacey. Very central as well so easy to visit.

"Modern Sydney is built on convict foundations – on convict labour, convict skills and convict stories. In June 1819 the Hyde Park Barracks opened to house convict men and boys working in government gangs, and over the next three decades as many as 50,000 convicts passed through its gates.

With the end of transportation, the building was converted to a hostel for orphan girls escaping the Irish famine, female immigration depot and later asylum for aged and destitute women. Today, as a museum about itself, the barracks tells stories of convict Sydney, and of those since then who have had the misfortune to spend time there.

The Hyde Park Barracks is one of 11 Australian convict sites on the UNESCO World Heritage list."

Info -> http://sydneylivingmuseums.com.au/hyde-park-barracks-museum

21-14491-14.jpg

Source: http://cdn.eventfinda.com.au/uploads/locations/transformed/21-14491-14.jpg

Surfing.. I'd need to learn to swim first lol. A lot of the girls are doing a surf camp thing, they go away for 5 days somewhere and learn.

They'd be the ones that go to Fraser island and leave their toilet paper hanging in the bushes....steer clear of those backpacker itineraries chook, tbh if they ain't animals when they book 'em, they're animals when they finish 'em...............correction, participate in 'em.

I hadn't heard of the pylon! That's a good idea for when my foots better. A lot cheaper than climbing the bridge lol

Yes, just as good a view too. I did the Bridge Climb and it's one of those things that it's nice to show off about - "I did the Bridge Climb!" - but actually it's not that big a deal when you do it. The top of the bridge isn't very high up and you get a better view from the top of any of the skyscrapers round the CBD.

Yes, just as good a view too. I did the Bridge Climb and it's one of those things that it's nice to show off about - "I did the Bridge Climb!" - but actually it's not that big a deal when you do it. The top of the bridge isn't very high up and you get a better view from the top of any of the skyscrapers round the CBD.

Totally agree! There's a bar on Level 36 in the Shangri-la Hotel near the Rocks which has fabulous views.

Edited by JockinTas

We went up that restaurant lookout but it was during the renovations and no air conditioning...............Jeeeeeeez it was hot up there...............the time frame was the day before the dust storms hit Sydney (5 yrs ago?) We woke up in the campervan the following morning thinking, "What a beautiful sunrise!"....................WRONG! Everywhere was covered in red dust

I would see a doctor just to check the damage.

Also go to The Health Emporium in Bondi or even better still ring them first to ensure they have stock

http://www.healthemporium.com.au/

Or any other similar health & vitamin shop. Even some chemists will sell it.

And buy some Arnica Cream

It is the best and quickest way to heal up a sprain and bruising

I use the Martin and Pleasance range because it has a high potency herb concentration. Should cost you about $5 - $10 for a small tub.

It is a great addition to your travelling first aid kit.

A ferry trip to Manly would definitely be on my list of "must do"s for Sydney. It's a wonderful way to see Sydney from the harbour.

Friends visiting from UK + my husband did it last week and then walked to Shelly Beach, wait till your ankle is better though.

Daughter still uses the bulk bill Dr. in Bondi Junction, might have to wait a while, but saves paying.

Go to a Medicare office and get a card issued, might be issued on the spot or a temporary one issued.

talk about timing Stacay as I was in Sydney last week and would have loved to meet up with you.

Take time to go to the Queen Victoria building it's beautifully decorated for Chrismas and the tree is amazing covered in Swarovski crystals.

Is manly a nice area?

I like Manly. Definitely take a ferry trip from Circular Quay. When you get off the ferry, wander up the Corso to the surfy beach then turn right, wander up the street a bit then a leftie past the surf life saving club and take the walk to Shelly Beach. It's a really nice walk and Shelly Beach doesn't have the big waves either and you also get a good view looking back on Manly beach. Always do that walk with visitors. There's a place at Shelly where you can sit and have a glass of wine.

I'd avoid Manly later at night.