My travel thread

Quokka2005

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh wow that looks nice!

I need to sit down and work out a proper budget but at the moment this hostel costs $42 a night so it's expensive compared to most

If you are looking to pay less than that then Manly probably is too expensive however there are nearby suburbs that have good transport links to Manly which would be cheaper than the hostel. I assume you would be looking for a short term flat share so here is a link to flat shares in nearby suburbs (you can change the search parameters easily on this site to check out other suburbs as well).

https://flatmates.com.au/flatshares/2096/freshwater

Thanks guys. Feeling a bit miserable today but I guess I'll just use this spare time to look at jobs and maybe hobble to a few places really nearby

You will feel better soon Stacey. You're probably still suffering from a bit of jetlag and once your foot is sorted you will be fighting fit and raring to go.

Ahh well Stace, at least if/when you come to Perth, you know you can get free lodgings, certainly from me and a few others I'm sure.

You can have Lindors room lol. Virtually the West wing to yourself, as daughter not here much now she has boyfriend. Your own room, toilet, shower/bathroom, home gym, wifi, Netflix, above ground pool. Don't need a car as the bus stop is just yards away, shops n restaurants within walking distance.

Two lazy labs to keep you company:wubclub:. Haha, don't worry, I wouldn't be in your face, I'm out a lot and its a v chilled house.

a half trip to catch the ferry for Rotto, to see the quokkas:wink:. We are going mid next month again if you want to join us:cool:

For rent, be it a house, flat or a room, I'd say Sydney is still the rip-off capital of Australia.

True. But you could potentially get a very gorgeous rental house if you play your cards right. Just up the road from me, a five bedroomed state-of-the-art modern house with pool and spa ($1,250.00 per week rent), over looking the beach, has just been rented by a group of five backpackers. And to live in such luxury they are only paying $250.00 each. Lucky buggers.

I don't want to be working to only pay my rent.

Then just stay in a backpackers then!

When I was working in Sydney, I stayed in a three bunk dorm (6 people) for five months and it was fine.

I got paid $500.00 per week and I worked in a shop as a retail assistant.

Of that, $70.00 went on hostel accommodation and $130.00 went on food, beer, cigarettes, sightseeing / generally enjoying myself etc....

Then the remaining $300.00 got saved for my later travels.

Edited by jumpingjellybean
Forgot the cigarettes

Hi everyone,

i I felt really miserable this morning and wasn't going to go out much at all. I ended up meeting up with 2 blokes from a backpacking Facebook page for lunch. We went to surry hills (I think!). Again - the portions are too big for me! I think I'm going to have to start getting starters instead. For a fat person I really don't eat big portions.

Then one of them showed me where to go for the Medicare. Well.. I was sent a million different places by everyone. One chemist told me it was king street.. It wasn't. One eventually gave me the right one so I went into the government office but they told me that i couldn't do it there. I had to go to darlinghurst. I applied for my tax file number while I was there though. Had a walk around the CBD. It's far too big and busy for me. God knows how I thought I could live in London. I just kept getting lost. When I think of Sydney I just think of the harbour etc. I don't really have any interest in the busy shopping streets.

Ill get get onto a PC tomorrow and put some pictures up. I go my boat ride around Sydney harbour. I'm really looking forward to that

Oh and I went to the doctors. I couldn't get Medicare sorted in time because they had sent me to the wrong place and I just gave up and paid for it but she said I'll get a refund. It's not broken, just badly swollen/bruised but I can put all my weight on it now. So I've got some inflammation gel and some painkillers. She said not to do the sand boarding though which I'm not too fussed about

Then one of them showed me where to go for the Medicare. Well.. I was sent a million different places by everyone. One chemist told me it was king street.. It wasn't. One eventually gave me the right one so I went into the government office but they told me that i couldn't do it there. I had to go to darlinghurst. I applied for my tax file number while I was there though.

Made me smile reading this Stacey. When we rocked up we went looking for Centrelink in Wynnum (not exactly a big place). Asked at the library information but they didn't know unbelievably. So went to AusPost. The queue was out the door but one person in it directed us - to the wrong place. We must have found and asked all the wrong people that day. We were on foot at the time too. Got there in the end though.

Oh and I went to the doctors. I couldn't get Medicare sorted in time because they had sent me to the wrong place and I just gave up and paid for it but she said I'll get a refund. It's not broken, just badly swollen/bruised but I can put all my weight on it now. So I've got some inflammation gel and some painkillers. She said not to do the sand boarding though which I'm not too fussed about

I'm glad you have seen the doctor Stace. At least you know what you are dealing with now and hopefully the gel will help. Good news that it isn't broken.

Stacey you've been through quite a few changes in just a few short days.

The stress and excitement of leaving on your trip, then Singapore, a very different place and climate, and now finally Australia.

You might experience a bit of anti climax, quite normal so don't worry if you do feel a bit down or it's all a bit daunting, it's early days.

You might well be a bit dehydrated, hot and humid in Singapore, plenty of flying etc.

Really hope you have a wonderful time here, and don't be afraid to ask any questions. xM