My travel thread

Quokka2005

Then next week at some point im going to do a trip to the blue mountains because I've wanted to go for ages and I might suss out if there's any jobs in katoomba

There's lots of cafes and a few restaurants in Leura (which is the village before Katoomba). It's a small place but almost the whole main street is eateries!

The Mountains might suit you better if you're not a city girl. The nice thing about the Blue Mountains is that you can get easily from one village to another on the train and it's not dear. I really like Blackheath but it is a very long way from Sydney town!

Edited by Marisawright

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's lots of cafes and a few restaurants in Leura (which is the village before Katoomba). It's a small place but almost the whole main street is eateries!

The Mountains might suit you better if you're not a city girl. The nice thing about the Blue Mountains is that you can get easily from one village to another on the train and it's not dear. I really like Blackheath but it is a very long way from Sydney town!

I think that the views (and bushwalks) are better from Blackheath - at the likes of Govett's Leap and Evans Look Out - than at Katoomba and Leura, not that they are unspectacular. I don't go on many bushwalks now, but back in the 80's I joined both Sydney Bushwalkers and the National Parks Association, and went on a few day walks at weekends. Much safer with a bushwalking club too, considering how remote it is once you get away from "civilisation." I adored cycling and walking in The New Forest but it's almost impossible to get lost as two or three miles will bring you to a road. Blackheath has a bit going on too doesn't it? (I've not been up there for a long time.)

She did have a good time - but the point is, SHE regretted it in the end, because she felt she had to rush through other places that, in hindsight, she would've liked to stay in for much longer.

I woke up initially thinking about the assignment I've got to submit by Friday at 3pm, noon Perth time (it's Murdoch University) and then I started thinking about your niece, and comparing her situation to my own. Imagine if you had told her to stay in and save her money for her trip to Queensland. Would she have had the will power to do so, with her friends at work nagging her to come out, maybe telling her to forget about "those cane toads up in Queensland?"

I went back to England for six months in 1983, got a good job in Southampton with Townsend-Thoresen for the summer season, and spent all my money going out after work, and had to "borrow" from my parents for the trip back to Sydney. Now, I'm thinking of another cruise around Xmas, but unable to stay in and save money. I've turned over a new leaf, yet again, and stayed in for the last three nights, no alcohol too. I'm trying to stick to a budget, thinking about both my financial and my physical health. One of my mates rang me at 0030 on Tuesday and said "Come down to the Exhibition, Dave. We're all here." I resisted the temptation, but it's hard to say "no" when you are at home on your own, with friends out enjoying themselves.

On my own working holiday here it took me three months to get my first job, having travelled from Perth to Sydney, run out of money once. Having got that first job, it would have been hard to chuck it in to go travelling again.

I've never understood why some backpackers seem to get stuck in Sydney and never see anywhere else ............ some of them worked as casuals in my workplace and had absolutely no get up and go. Might as well just have stayed at home in the UK.

They did come 10,000 miles, and judging by the experiences of the ones I encounter working in the pubs, they usually plan to work for six months (is that the maximum?) then go travelling, and they also have to do their stint in a country/bush area, something I did not have to do on my WHV. As I just said to Marisa, I spent three months fruitlessly looking for work in Perth, Adelaide and finally Sydney, and once I'd got a job I wanted to stick with it.

Living in hostels or communal houses, it's a party every night, and it's hard to resist when your friends are urging you to come out. Actually, I've found it much harder to "resist" as a "senior" than when I was in my 20's. The pubs are open till dawn, five minutes walk from my home, I know lots of people, and I'm at home on my own. I've been making an effort, staying in for the last three nights, trying to stick to a monthly budget, just paid my credit card off for October, and $60 per day to spend from now till 1st December, with no rent or mortgage, but all bills to come out of that.

Aren't you liking it here so far? If so it might be the effects of jet lag which have not worn off yet, added to the disorientation of uprooting yourself from home to come to another country.

Quiz night at Strawberry Hills hotel 7 30 Wed if you fancy coming.

no not really but I'm trying to give it longer in Sydney incase it's just shock of arriving. I just don't really feel much. If I stay it'll have to be near somewhere beachy

I think that the views (and bushwalks) are better from Blackheath .. Blackheath has a bit going on too doesn't it? (I've not been up there for a long time.)

Yes, believe it or not we actually thought of moving up there at one time. You should take a $2.50 trip up there one day! A nice main street with cafes and restaurants plus TWO pubs with reasonable food and a friendly crowd. It's a fairly arty place too.

Blackheath and Mt Victoria are my two favourite Blue Mountain towns.

Stace, I don't know if this would interest you, but, I might have a spot for a field assistant for a couple of months - maybe 3 - working in mineral exploration here.

It is far from definite yet and would likely be late January - so it would be VERY hot.

It is fairly hard work and long days - we do a 12 hour day. Wages are "ok" though not great. It would be about $280 a day, but, it comes with free accommodation and meals and you would get to experience the outback. We work 14 days, then you would get 7 off to do some sightseeing. We are only a couple of hours drive from Kalgoorlie and a couple from the famous beaches of Esperance and you would have access to a vehicle for that 7 days

If you are interested I can PM you more details

I think WA (Perth) would have been a better place to start where she knows people (from PIO) has support etc....then go down South over Summer, jobs...then move to East coast in Spring, moving up to FNQ in Winter then across the top and into North WA. Anti clockwise from Perth. Fits the weather as Stace doesn't like the extreme heat. Just my 2 penneth

You may well be right, more due to the fact that so many PiO are in Perth, and appear to be willing to lend a hand. Saying that I'm sure she'll get by well Over East. The back packer grape vine is far stronger and more opportunities than WA.

She won't escape the heat no matter where or which side she is on. Perth is rather blistering hot during the summer months. Jobs down south of WA are hardly plentiful. But of course a possibility. By be a little slow for her though and less back packers to mingle with.

I'd prefer if her, the spontaneity. Back packing IMV is about being free and not restricted to datelines and time tables. Allow the unexpected and be ready to take off at a moments notice.

Perhaps the only time in life where such freedom, for most, will be possible.

Haha the cutest boy!! There's a cute guy in my group, he's from Canada. He said I didn't sound that Scottish lol I wasn't sure how to respond to that!

Im off to port Stephens tomorrow for a few days. I'm looking forward to that, it'll be interesting to see how I feel being away from the city. I get to meet my first kangaroo too although she's a tame one called Josie. They said she was on the news! Apparently we'll see koalas and possums too. Then next week at some point im going to do a trip to the blue mountains because I've wanted to go for ages and I might suss out if there's any jobs in katoomba

If you go to Katoomba and are interested in doing something a bit different while you are up that way a visit to Jenolan Caves would be worth considering. The caves are considered to be some of the best in the world. There are various bus tours that go from Katoomba - this is a link to just one of them.

http://www.trolleytours.com.au/jenolan-caves-tours

There are lots of different caves. One of my favourites is the river cave.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

no not really but I'm trying to give it longer in Sydney incase it's just shock of arriving. I just don't really feel much. If I stay it'll have to be near somewhere beachy

Perhaps after an exceptionally long build up it is the anti climax of arrival? Just another city after all. And an expensive one at that. We have hoisted several young ladies now from Europe. In at least two cases the girls wanted to return the first week.

Until they could be prized away from their phone and Skype, thinking of the parties they were missing at home and finally arrived. while their physical presence may have been here their mind wasn't.

I feel sure once you get in the swing of back packer life it'll be a blast.

She won't escape the heat no matter where or which side she is on. Perth is rather blistering hot during the summer months. Jobs down south of WA are hardly plentiful.

But some areas of Oz escape the high humidity of the tropics... and it is the humidity rather than the heat which can be a killer for some.

Margaret River vineyards will be harvesting Feb - April and they do rely on backpackers for that work.

You may well be right, more due to the fact that so many PiO are in Perth, and appear to be willing to lend a hand. Saying that I'm sure she'll get by well Over East. The back packer grape vine is far stronger and more opportunities than WA.

She won't escape the heat no matter where or which side she is on. Perth is rather blistering hot during the summer months. Jobs down south of WA are hardly plentiful. But of course a possibility. By be a little slow for her though and less back packers to mingle with.

I'd prefer if her, the spontaneity. Back packing IMV is about being free and not restricted to datelines and time tables. Allow the unexpected and be ready to take off at a moments notice.

Perhaps the only time in life where such freedom, for most, will be possible.

Exactly...go with the flow, how can you plan it? Plans made to be changed...

I have hear a lot of foreign accents down south though in the wineries/breweries/cafes etc....Stacey made inquiries at one and was told to send her resume when arrived/drop in...

Au Pairs in hot demand in Perth too

If you go to Katoomba and are interested in doing something a bit different while you are up that way a visit to Jenolan Caves would be worth considering. The caves are considered to be some of the best in the world. There are various bus tours that go from Katoomba - this is a link to just one of them.

http://www.trolleytours.com.au/jenolan-caves-tours

There are lots of different caves. One of my favourites is the river cave.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31933[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31934[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31935[/ATTACH]

Not as good as Margaret River Caves:dull::laugh: they have disco lights!

12112167_10153626135773396_7372750139398075306_n.jpg?oh=8735c9a3488cd24feeb2e4fdb3a34c8e&oe=56C26C90

Edited by HappyHeart

Stacey just been talking to my daughter.

She was in Bondi Junction yesterday and there are plenty of notices in shop windows for casual staff for the Christmas season.

It's an enormous mall and perhaps a job there would tied you over till Christmas before you decide where and when to go next.

Hope that helps.

But some areas of Oz escape the high humidity of the tropics... and it is the humidity rather than the heat which can be a killer for some.

Margaret River vineyards will be harvesting Feb - April and they do rely on backpackers for that work.

M River in Feb/March is/can be very hot. Yes certainly not tropical 'wet' heat but almost as draining if working out in it and not used to heat conditions.

Exactly...go with the flow, how can you plan it? Plans made to be changed...

I have hear a lot of foreign accents down south though in the wineries/breweries/cafes etc....Stacey made inquiries at one and was told to send her resume when arrived/drop in...

Au Pairs in hot demand in Perth too

All over the state you hear foreign accents these days. When working in remote Derby, was surprised just how many European back packers were in employment up there, before we even get round to the Poms.

Yes, believe it or not we actually thought of moving up there at one time. You should take a $2.50 trip up there one day! A nice main street with cafes and restaurants plus TWO pubs with reasonable food and a friendly crowd. It's a fairly arty place too.

When I worked at Penrith many of my co-workers came from the mts, living as far from Penrith as I did.

Stacey just been talking to my daughter.

She was in Bondi Junction yesterday and there are plenty of notices in shop windows for casual staff for the Christmas season.

It's an enormous mall and perhaps a job there would tied you over till Christmas before you decide where and when to go next.

Hope that helps.

She can then hit Bondi beach on xmas day. I imagine it is like those pictures of the Spanish Costa's in summer.

Guest The Pom Queen
I know, we chat a couple of times a day on FB

Really Stacey, I thought I was your one and only on FB now I realise you have a bit on the side. :laugh:

Guest The Pom Queen
Stace, I don't know if this would interest you, but, I might have a spot for a field assistant for a couple of months - maybe 3 - working in mineral exploration here.

It is far from definite yet and would likely be late January - so it would be VERY hot.

It is fairly hard work and long days - we do a 12 hour day. Wages are "ok" though not great. It would be about $280 a day, but, it comes with free accommodation and meals and you would get to experience the outback. We work 14 days, then you would get 7 off to do some sightseeing. We are only a couple of hours drive from Kalgoorlie and a couple from the famous beaches of Esperance and you would have access to a vehicle for that 7 days

If you are interested I can PM you more details

If my youngest was a bit older he would have loved this.

What don't you like? I liked Perth from moment I arrived but Sydney was an acquired taste. Now, it is just home.

My suggestion would be to not overthink it. Stacey is here on a WHV, to have fun, travel and see Aus. If right now Sydney isn't grabbing her, so be it. She doesn't need to make it home or stay or worry about liking it or not. That is the beauty of a WHV and backpacking round, you check places out, see loads of new things, if you like somewhere and find work, you stop a while, if not move on and see/do more elsewhere.

Honestly, Stacey, chiming in on a busy full on thread full of ideas and expectations and so on, if you are feeling overwhelmed by it all, I suggest you tune out of the forum for a few days, get over the jet lag a bit more, go be backpacker and just see the sights, chill, do whatever appeals. And if you then decide to stay in Sydney or move on somewhere else, so be it :) Its all good.

My suggestion would be to not overthink it. Stacey is here on a WHV, to have fun, travel and see Aus. If right now Sydney isn't grabbing her, so be it. She doesn't need to make it home or stay or worry about liking it or not. That is the beauty of a WHV and backpacking round, you check places out, see loads of new things, if you like somewhere and find work, you stop a while, if not move on and see/do more elsewhere.

Honestly, Stacey, chiming in on a busy full on thread full of ideas and expectations and so on, if you are feeling overwhelmed by it all, I suggest you tune out of the forum for a few days, get over the jet lag a bit more, go be backpacker and just see the sights, chill, do whatever appeals. And if you then decide to stay in Sydney or move on somewhere else, so be it :) Its all good.

Sound advise. Defer social media as much as possible and get out there and live it. Your style. Your way. Report back in a couple of days.