My travel thread

Quokka2005

Stacey... With my Grandma hat on, I have three pieces of advice for you.

1. Be aware that the sun here can be merciless, even when grey and overcast. So wear sunscreen all the time - apply it after your shower every morning and top up during the day - and wear a hat when you are in the sun.

2. Drink lots of water as once you start to feel thirsty, you are already dehydrated. 2 litres a day at least.....

3. Tune out of social media for a day or two and just enjoy your time in Sydney. You are still jetlagged I expect and this will colour all your experiences and views.

And you know, it doesn't matter if Sydney isn't for you. We are all different and have different likes and dislikes. So just go by your gut feelings.

Keep safe. Hugs Rossy. :hug:

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish I'd had some "social media" back in the day! Just public phone boxes and "snail mail."

'Some' being the operative word in your post. Way overkill these days that IMO has reduced the art of travel substantially. I rather enjoyed Poste Restante, in various cities of the world that I found myself. Even if sometimes missed my mail as had moved on and instructions on forwarding were not always followed.

Who needs Skype all the time? Idea is to get away from home and discover the new. The interest I have witnessed by so called 'travellers' with their continued interest in home and friends, doesn't allow them to easily get into their new place of choice I have found. Usually it is the first weeks away .....but still....

I found snail mail actually more fulfilling. More and longer letters with a bit of effort, rather than sound bites and gossip and Look at me how awesome I am type of thing.

Perhaps after an exceptionally long build up it is the anti climax of arrival? Just another city after all. And an expensive one at that. We have hoisted several young ladies now from Europe. In at least two cases the girls wanted to return the first week.

Until they could be prized away from their phone and Skype, thinking of the parties they were missing at home and finally arrived. while their physical presence may have been here their mind wasn't.

I feel sure once you get in the swing of back packer life it'll be a blast.

I think you have a point ... my niece came over on a WHV earlier in the year (my hubbys parents granddaughter). My in-laws were with us at the time and she asked if she could start off with us and sqeeze her in - she stayed almost a week and followed her grandparents to Sydney (she's pre-booked this), she was there with them 3 days before they went home, she returned to the UK shortly after. She spent only 2 weeks in Aus and a week and a half of that was with family. I think the access to home/skype etc., made it more difficult for her.

I think you have a point ... my niece came over on a WHV earlier in the year (my hubbys parents granddaughter). My in-laws were with us at the time and she asked if she could start off with us and sqeeze her in - she stayed almost a week and followed her grandparents to Sydney (she's pre-booked this), she was there with them 3 days before they went home, she returned to the UK shortly after. She spent only 2 weeks in Aus and a week and a half of that was with family. I think the access to home/skype etc., made it more difficult for her.

What a missed opportunity...hope she didn't regret...but we can only make decisions based on how we feel at the time, some are more easily swayed by the heart and social media has a lot to answer for IMO!

Defo the case for some. Whatever happened to adventure and striking out on ones own? An inquisitive nature and a desire to experience first hand. Not some artificial or second hand reality? All very sad IMO.

Guest The Pom Queen
But then we aren't twenty four seeking adventure in the way of a traveller. (hate the word back packer)

I am in my mind, my body says otherwise lol.

Guest The Pom Queen
I'm pretty sure Quokka is in Port Stephens and has no wifi :)

Yes she told me that on FB, a good job really seen as we have all hijacked her thread, with OUR dreams of backpacking

If going to Katoomba you MUST have lunch at the Yellow Deli. Amazing cheap sandwiches served by an unusual (cult??) group of people. The restaurant itself is like something out of Harry Potter.

That place looks amazing.

Food looks fantastic and interior looks really quaint.

How long has it been there? I have never noticed it before.

She's got a looong adventure ahead of her and a great summer of fun. She's probs still in a Scottish mindset - worrying about her mum and nan and possibly the precautions they told her to take to look after herself. She will start to relax and get into the groove. Let's hope she gets to see loads, gets a tan and maybe learn to swim!