My travel thread

Quokka2005

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to go to Melbourne and visit the neighbours set. The taxi driver was laughing at me when I said that :laugh: I get a bit hesitant when local people here ask me if I like it but the ladies in the commonwealth bank told me to go to Melbourne because it's nicer lol

I've never lived in Melbourne but have visited it often and really like it.

Guest The Pom Queen
I'm going to go to Melbourne and visit the neighbours set. The taxi driver was laughing at me when I said that :laugh: I get a bit hesitant when local people here ask me if I like it but the ladies in the commonwealth bank told me to go to Melbourne because it's nicer lol

Hun you are going to get mixed reviews from everyone about everywhere, it's really going to be up to you to put everyone's opinions to the back of your mind and go and form your own. Can you remember when I owned Moving to Melbourne every single family formed different opinions, some suburbs I hated they loved and vice versa.

You alone, choose where YOU want to go, tell us and we can tell you what there is to see and do in that area.

Ive always wanted to visit the Neighbours set, my Australian friends think I am mad and say the English like neighbours more then them lol. One day I shall go there lol!!!

You'll find people who will say that. There's a huge rivalry between Melbourne and Sydney - Sydneysiders think Melbourne is grey and boring, Melbourne people think Sydney is brash. Maybe the ladies in the bank were transferees from Melbourne!

Personally, I'd say if you think Sydney is like Manchester, then Melbourne is even more so! A city is a city - if you don't like big cities then you're not going to like Sydney, Melbourne or Brisbane CBD's, IMO.

Guest The Pom Queen
For many years I lived 15 minutes from the Neighbours set - finally went when one of my UK friends on holiday forced me to take them - quite a surreal exprience! Loads of backpackers posing with cricket bats etc lol

We did the tour, the bus broke down, but they managed to get us behind the scenes and our photos taken with a few of the actors. I'm not sure if they still permit the back stage part of the tour. I didn't think too much of Ramsay Street but then I'm more of a Home and Away fan. It's funny but the Poms seem more interested in the soaps than the Aussies. @Quokka2005 if you are really in to Neighbours I'd recommend the Elephant and Wheelbarrow quiz/Karl Kennedys band night at St Kilda if they still do it. A lot of the actors wanted to open the Neighbours set up to the public and do meet and greets but Ten wouldn't do it same thing with Home and Away. So a lot of the Neighbours cast attend the pub to do meet and greets which is lovely of them. The only problem is you don't know who is going to be there. Hey they may not even do them anymore I've been gone from Melbourne for so long.

Guest The Pom Queen
Ive always wanted to visit the Neighbours set, my Australian friends think I am mad and say the English like neighbours more then them lol. One day I shall go there lol!!!

This is very true lol.

You'll find people who will say that. There's a huge rivalry between Melbourne and Sydney - Sydneysiders think Melbourne is grey and boring, Melbourne people think Sydney is brash. Maybe the ladies in the bank were transferees from Melbourne!

Personally, I'd say if you think Sydney is like Manchester, then Melbourne is even more so! A city is a city - if you don't like big cities then you're not going to like Sydney, Melbourne or Brisbane CBD's, IMO.

some parts are nice, I really liked coogee. I'd probably like bondi and manly. But I just don't like the actual centre. I don't know wether it's because I constantly get lost lol

Guest The Pom Queen
some parts are nice, I really liked coogee. I'd probably like bondi and manly. But I just don't like the actual centre. I don't know wether it's because I constantly get lost lol

Have you been round the harbour down by the IMAX I love it down there

We done the Neighbours tour - was hilarious! Even though I haven't watched Neighbours in years, I think they focus it more on the older Neighbours watchers - showing old clips in the back of the wee minibus. We did the Elephant and Wheelbarrow night too and I ended up winning a 3 day Kakadu trip by singing my national anthem on karaoke with Dr Karl...so surreal...hilarious looking back on it now. Apparently always busy, and a good laugh.

Glad you are having a good time Stacey, enjoying reading your updates x

Agree with most of the newest comments - if Sydney isn't for you then get out! As i've said before Melbourne is an awesome city but definitely on par with Sydney in terms of cost of living IMO..

I did the Neighbours tour last time i was out and although i was hungover to hell, i'm slightly embarrassed to admit i enjoyed it! The set is tiny! If I remember rightly if you go in the week you see the garage set and if you go on the weekend you can see the lassiters complex (maybe the other way around). Home and away set is definitely next on the list as literally everyone i speak to says how amazing it is!

If you do head up the east coast, Byron is lovely but wasn't my cup of tea. I loved airlie beach although we were only there for a few days, although nowhere seemed to serve food after 9:30 which really p*ssed me off!

EDIT:- Also at the end of the Neighbours tour, you get to meet one of the cast. Kym Valentine (Libby) was there on our day but i didn't go in and meet her as I'd already had something else booked in and was late :(

Edited by Jhouse101

I'm hating this new hostel room. I think I might ask to get moved room tomorrow

I took one look at my prospective room-mate at the Y in Adelaide and asked for a single room.

Might be good advice not to book these expensive tours. You will probably meet up with someone you like, maybe find a travel buddy, buy a car even.

Are you over jet-lag yet? Maybe give Sydney a couple more weeks. I don't know. Melbourne and Brisbane are both big cities Too(I wish I'd got to know them.) you could be just as unsettled there I thought you'd be living in Coogee and working at The Pavilion by now!

I only just came out to pub at 0030 Royal Exhibition and on way up to Strawbo I'll see if Cafe still wants staff.

Stay in Sydney till next Wed and come and do the quiz at the Strawbo! Meet some real Aussies.

Like Manchester? 24 hour party people? I missed out on everything. Too young for first Summer of Love, too old for the second. Why did it take me so long to find The Stone Roses and The Shamen?

You are prob right about the cities. Southampton was The Big Smoke for me and now I'm in a city that covers the whole of Hampshire.

Haha I like the sound of this neighbours your, sounds funny!

@maryrose I've looked at Prices of flats in coogee and near Surrey hills! I think I'll be camping on the beach. Then even if I stayed in a hostel then I'd still have to leave for new year because I refuse to pay ridiculous prices for a grotty hostel over the Xmas and new year week. I'm paying $42 which is already expensive for me

You have not been here long enough to know it! The CBD is not so hard. George, Pitt Castlereagh Elizabeth. Forget about them. Just get to know Sorry (sic) Hills

Like Manchester? 24 hour party people? I missed out on everything. Too young for first Summer of Love, too old for the second. Why did it take me so long to find The Stone Roses and The Shamen?

You are prob right about the cities. Southampton was The Big Smoke for me and now I'm in a city that covers the whole of Hampshire.

That's exactly how I feel!! How crap being born in the 60's :)

You have not been here long enough to know it! The CBD is not so hard. George, Pitt Castlereagh Elizabeth. Forget about them. Just get to know Sorry (sic) Hills

its not exactly a backpacker friendly area price wise from what I've seen. One of the guides here stays there and she said she pays £170 I think, but that's 4 people in a room.

Ill try my best to stay for your quiz though haha

I took one look at my prospective room-mate at the Y in Adelaide and asked for a single room.

Might be good advice not to book these expensive tours. You will probably meet up with someone you like, maybe find a travel buddy, buy a car even.

Are you over jet-lag yet? Maybe give Sydney a couple more weeks. I don't know. Melbourne and Brisbane are both big cities Too(I wish I'd got to know them.) you could be just as unsettled there I thought you'd be living in Coogee and working at The Pavilion by now!

I only just came out to pub at 0030 Royal Exhibition and on way up to Strawbo I'll see if Cafe still wants staff.

Stay in Sydney till next Wed and come and do the quiz at the Strawbo! Meet some real Aussies.

You should Stacey - you'll have a much better time meeting locals at a pub quiz than on some poncy backpackers tour designed to separate you from your hard earned cash as fast as possible.