My travel thread

Quokka2005

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it a guided trip as part of her package? I wonder why no Wifi?

I think it will be more 'her thing' I hope she is having a great time.

Maybe she has actually realised that backpacking through Australia doesn't mean spending half of it on PIO :biglaugh:

She be having a blast and to knackered at night to post on here I reckon.

Maybe she has actually realised that backpacking through Australia doesn't mean spending half of it on PIO :biglaugh:

She be having a blast and to knackered at night to post on here I reckon.

Lets hope so. Just better things to do. I'd think a weekly (max) update is ample if she's so inclined. No doubt she in contact with her fav's on Facebook anyway.

Is it a guided trip as part of her package? I wonder why no Wifi?

I certainly got that impression.. And as for wifi: it can be very patchy outside metro areas in Oz...even if she's not having too much fun to bother about us oldies. :rolleyes:

It was port Stephens I was in rather than blue mountains. Took us around 3 or 4 hours to get there, I slept nearly the whole journey! Got there and it was this slightly remote place and I thought oh god lol. Some people stayed in tents and some stayed in cabin type things, I picked the cabins. Most of the couples went for tents for obvious reasons. We got a talk from the owner about the different risks like snakes etc. I was a bit of a swot on the spiders :laugh: she was impressed that I knew about a funnel web. They told us we had to be up early for the sandboarding but most people had a drink anyway.

I got got up at 5am and went to the beach to watch the sunrise (changed days!!!) which was lovely. We went in 4wd to the sand dunes. It wasn't as bumpy as I was expected, I wanted a bit more thrill lol. I didn't do the sandboarding because of my ankle which I regret a bit. But I can do it another time. Then we went to another beach to look for these little things called pippies?! Went out in the water just past my ankles but a massive wave came in and soaked me right up to my arse! Then we went a walk up mt tomaree. I found it difficult because I'm so unfit but the views were worth it!

Then we went back to the cabins. Some of us went down to the beach as well. Today was good - went a dolphin cruise and got to see loads of Dolphins, I think some of them had babies. Nelson bay is nice. We went for some fish and chips, the fish was loads better than the ones back home but I didn't like the chips. I was hoping they had chicken salt that I could try haha. We headed back home after that. Got to Sydney and it was thunderstorms and torrential rain. Not impressed lol.

Im still no further with my plans. @ramot thanks for that tip - I'll check out that bondi junction place.

I I still haven't a clue wether I even want to stay in Sydney. It's so expensive and flats are apparently really hard to come by now and with the cost in rent I probably wouldn't even save anything anyway. So really id be paying loads just to live somewhere that I'm not that keen on anyway. But I'm scared to move on incase there's even less chance of me finding work

They were selling them on a special and I thought it was a good idea at the time! These travel agents are good haha. They were suggesting the east coast again but I've so far resisted their sales charms lol. The package is pretty good actually but I'd have to work out how much it would be if I was to do it myself. The ticket is for the full year

So really id be paying loads just to live somewhere that I'm not that keen on anyway. But I'm scared to move on incase there's even less chance of me finding work

As you say, why on earth pay a fortune to live somewhere you don't like? You are perfectly entitled not to like Sydney, don't let people sway you into staying just because they love it, everyone's different.

Don't let people scare you about not finding work elsewhere. It's coming up to Christmas and summer, so it's absolutely the best time to find work in the holiday areas - probably just as much as Sydney if not more.

I'm thinking of giving it another 5 days in Sydney and if I don't feel differently then either go to Melbourne or somewhere up the east coast. Maybe Brisbane? I've heard Brisbane has a lot of cafes etc. some of this group are like "oh I'm going to get a job in Byron" and I'm just really cynical lol. But I'm a negative person so that doesn't help.

This east coast package is around $2300. That's with a Loka bus ticket too which is like a backpacker bus but instead of the greyhound it's just for backpackers and includes different activities. And then the other part of that price is the east coast package which includes things like the Whitsunday cruise, Fraser Island etc. I need to sit down and work out how much everything would be if I was to do it all myself

Guest The Pom Queen
I'm thinking of giving it another 5 days in Sydney and if I don't feel differently then either go to Melbourne or somewhere up the east coast. Maybe Brisbane? I've heard Brisbane has a lot of cafes etc. some of this group are like "oh I'm going to get a job in Byron" and I'm just really cynical lol. But I'm a negative person so that doesn't help.

This east coast package is around $2300. That's with a Loka bus ticket too which is like a backpacker bus but instead of the greyhound it's just for backpackers and includes different activities. And then the other part of that price is the east coast package which includes things like the Whitsunday cruise, Fraser Island etc. I need to sit down and work out how much everything would be if I was to do it all myself

I don't think I've done Byron but all the backpackers up here seem to love the place, in fact one was saying Byron was so much better than Cairns. Please don't keep spending money doing these packages unless you want to be in groups. You are going to get everyone trying to sell you packages it gets like timeshare touts they are everywhere. You can do everything cheaper. If you want help working it out give me a shout. Anything up this way I will get you locals discount where possible

Guest The Pom Queen
Don't forget a ferry trip to Manly Stacey and don't go at the weekend. Every man and his dog will be there too.

Yes Manly is nice, also Palm Beach. I know I said forget tours but when I was on day release from hospital and mum had arrived I booked this tour http://www.flamingalahtours.com.au/sydney-tours-and-day-trips/home-and-away-tour-to-palm-beach-summer-bay mum had no interest in Summer Bay but really did enjoy the trip.