My travel thread

Quokka2005

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm supoosed to be blonde though :(

Umm.. Well I did like Fremantle but probably not as much as I was expecting. Its nice though, its got some nice buildings. I hope somewhere I go really does gobsmack me lol. Probably be somewhere like Whitsundays

You live in the best country in the world so it's understandable no where else blows your mind :)

TBH our first trip to Freo disappointed me, it does get hyped up and I thought it was pretty grotty in parts, we chose to live there as the 'least worst' option and my love for it grew.

Umm.. Well I did like Fremantle but probably not as much as I was expecting. Its nice though, its got some nice buildings. I hope somewhere I go really does gobsmack me lol. Probably be somewhere like Whitsundays

I don't know why you expect cities to gobsmack you at all. As you commented about Sydney, a city centre is a city centre all over the world. Some are prettier than others, some have a better vibe than others, some have a water frontage with trendy cafes etc, but they're all still just built-up areas in the end.

I say that as someone who loves living in cities, got nothing against them - but you don't sound like a city person, so it bemuses me why you expect to like them.

I don't know why you expect cities to gobsmack you at all. As you commented about Sydney, a city centre is a city centre all over the world. Some are prettier than others, some have a better vibe than others, some have a water frontage with trendy cafes etc, but they're all still just built-up areas in the end.

Some cities have something spectacular to catch the eye, Harbour Bridge and Opera House perhaps!? Although when I think of Sydney it's often the terrace houses of the inner city suburbs or one of my favourite beaches. You have to live in a place for a while and hopefully get a sense of "belonging."

Some cities have something spectacular to catch the eye, Harbour Bridge and Opera House perhaps!? Although when I think of Sydney it's often the terrace houses of the inner city suburbs or one of my favourite beaches. You have to live in a place for a while and hopefully get a sense of "belonging."

But we're talking to someone who's here on a WHV. The last thing she needs is to feel a sense of belonging, because that might prevent her moving on and seeing the rest of the country!

But we're talking to someone who's here on a WHV. The last thing she needs is to feel a sense of belonging, because that might prevent her moving on and seeing the rest of the country!

Perhaps but also look at striking a balance. Living in hostels and constantly moving on might be depressing, sharing dorms, sharing kitchens, little privacy, so putting down roots for a few months, becoming a local, meeting people other than foreign backpackers is also part of the Aussie experience?

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk

Perhaps but also look at striking a balance. Living in hostels and constantly moving on might be depressing, sharing dorms, sharing kitchens, little privacy, so putting down roots for a few months, becoming a local, meeting people other than foreign backpackers is also part of the Aussie experience?

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk

I tend to agree, whilst it's good to travel and see lots Stacey has already seen more of Australia than I did but as a tourist and there is something to be said for becoming a 'local' and experiencing Australia as an Australian would - depth rather than breadth & if possible both City life and Country life (if forced to make a choice I'd opt for the later as city life is not much different than the UK)

It's about starting to understand the rhythm of a place and starting to go with the flow - being rather than doing, feeling rather than thinking.

Haha in less than a week, you know more about the local spiders than I do after years here:cry:

I was sat watching one scuttling about earlier, I know they can be dangerous, and this one was a fast little bugger.

but I can't cope with killing them.

So I stood up, told it I was going to the toilet, and it best be gone by the time I get back:unsure:.

It worked. I just don't know where it has gone now:confused:

The spiders are out to get me. I almost walked into a golden orb. Then a black house spider paid me a visit. I'm just waiting for harry huntsman now

The snakes will get you next!

Never saw a live one in the wild so will be most upset if you do.

@Quokka2005, it is your holiday in Australia, so you do the things you want to do, rather than what you should do and see as mentioned by us all...

But...The Whitsundays is the best area.:laugh:

Cheers, Bobj.

Then Cairns...just to appease @ThepomQueen.:wink:

I think ill definitely like it there, lol. I'll have to learn to swim soon!

So today I went off to Hilary harbour for a few hours. I was supposed to go to Mandurah to meet a PIO member but they never got back to me today. The water at Hilary's is so nice. I went up to midway of my legs lol. I'm so tired though so just going to have a tv night. It's good being away from a hostel for a bit but i'll be back at the weekend

So today I went off to Hilary harbour for a few days. I was supposed to go to Mandurah to meet a PIO member but they never got back to me today. The water at Hilary's is so nice. I went up to midway of my legs lol. I'm so tired though so just going to have a tv night. It's good being away from a hostel for a bit but i'll be back at the weekend
Hi I only live 5 minutes from there, are you still up this way?

I'm back in the CBD now :( I did think about posting incase anybody was free but then people might stalk me :wink: I'll be coming back soon though because I want to properly go in the water and that's about the only water I would feel safe in lol. So we could meet up one day soon if you want?

Aww im so jealous!!!! Im desperate to see some wildlife. Thats why i loved port stephens - got to see dolphins and possums. I was disappointed when i found out there aren't koalas going around here. Today i saw a poster for broome and kimberlies and i really really want to go even though I would just moan about the heat etc lol

Anything on the job front? Did you hear back from that place you said about?

Might be worth emailing your CV to some employment agencies and so on? Reply to ads on Gumtree (often they list WHV regional work if suitable). Or go round on foot and sign up with some places. You never know, they may have something on their books that might be good.

Seek can also be ok for casual work but you need to be prepared to put some sit down time in to it and filter your search a bit and trawl through a lot of ads.

Stace, if your really desperate for some wildlife encounters Catch a bus to Pinnaroo Memorial. I know, sounds really morbid.. but it's a lovely cemetery. We used to go often because I'm a sucker for Roo's. And take the train South down to Penguin Island. It's not far from Mandurah / secret Harbour (I'm shocking with suburbs South of Perth) but it's a lovely cheap day out. Obviously you've got to do Rotto, and that will set you back some $$. North beach just south of Sorrento/ Hillarys was always good for dolphin spotting and if you have access to a snorkel you don't have to go in too deep to see lots of colourful fish. That used to be my Sunday morning treat. There's lots of large colourful crabs on the rocks too :-)

Archived