Life in the UK test

whichway1

My husband has to sit this for his permanent residency. I absolutely completely and fully understand the reasons and logic behind it, although, let's be honest how many British people know the answer to the questions on British history.

http://ukcitizenshipsupport.com/free-tests/

how did you do? I didn't do that well :embarrassed: I'll be honest history was never my strong point. We'll be swotting for the next few weeks.

well i feel a bit relieved and not so alone. The Ozzie one is much easier perhaps it's hundreds of years of history versus thousands, not sure. There is another couple online that will give a different selection of random questions, must have just been luck (or not) that you pulled a lots of Scots ones. I am getting worried about this, I am close to panic, we are booked in, but next available one is a 10th April and visa expires a month after that. You can't resit until a week after the failed test (if you do), you can't even apply for the ILR until you have a certificate saying you passed the test. The trouble is I tend to do all the visa applications and research in my house and I've generally done really well, however, what with being so busy with life I suppose, I misread something months ago that Meant I thought we couldn't apply until now, when we could have applied last month and sat the test then. Maybe I am just getting panicky. I hate visas. I do always start to get really stressed and panicky towards the end. If he gets this visa this is absolutely the last one!! (Unless someone is going to pay me to do it).

Apart from the fact I scored 78% on the test the thing that surprised me was that it appears to be more of a history test than a test of whether someone understands the values of a democratic UK.

Exactly...totally irrelevant.

They don't teach a lot of that in British schools these days so why a foreigner should be expected to know the forts that made up Hadrian's Wall is beyond me.

54%. History was never my strongpoint. When you review the answers though it gives a reference to what chapter and page of whatever it si you are supposed to study. If they give you something to study in preparation and you don't do it then you only have yourself to blame. You have a study paper with all the information you need for the Aussie one and I got 100% when it came to the test. I would imagine it would be the same for the English one.

My husband has to sit this for his permanent residency. I absolutely completely and fully understand the reasons and logic behind it, although, let's be honest how many British people know the answer to the questions on British history.

how did you do? I didn't do that well :embarrassed: I'll be honest history was never my strong point. We'll be swotting for the next few weeks.

If it's the same test as the one for citizenship then there is a book you can get that gives you a lot of the information you need to know and has something like 5 practise tests in it. My OH did it a few years ago to get citizenship. I seem to remember it being full of questions that your average Brit wouldn't have a clue about. Although I think there were plenty of questions on the current system as well as history though. Has this changed?

Just looked at the link. There are two tests. One is a test on chapter three of the book which is on history. The other is a simulation of the actual test, which will have more things in than history. Definitely get him the book to read up on the test.

Oh what fun.... l remember doing this when in the uk.... l ended up knowing more about the uk than my English OH/friends. The difference when l did the actual test at the centre the English one wouldn't tell you what percentage you got... you either passed or didn't. l mean what's the point in that. Get a highlighter and just get dates and important sentences in ur head... if you read it like a book it doesn't sink in. GOOD LUCK

I passed. Only took a few minutes. As others said, you either know them or its a 1 in 4 guess.

Yay for my history knowledge :cute:

I remember doing mine about 6 years ago.

I read the book from cover to cover twice and tried out all the questions on the Brits I worked with. They mostly failed.

I sat the test in a little factory in Leeds. The woman logged about twenty of us on, one by one.

By the time she logged the last one on 5 minutes later, I had finished. I asked if I could go? She said no, I had to wait for everyone else to finish.

40 minutes later I finally got my mark and could go. Why she couldn't have told me earlier I don't know. Red tape at its best.

Failed miserably, 58%, that really is a ridiculous test - I believe the Australian one used to be more like that but was significantly revised.

Whilst there is nothing difficult about learning what would be required, how on earth does knowing the history of a country make you a better citizen - at least in the Australian one the questions are predominantly about the everyday values and modern political system, things that a citizen should know.

I've just ordered the book as I need to do the test in a few months. There are some very hard questions of which everyone at work that I ask has no idea either what the answers are.

Archived