How often are your kids sick here in Oz compared to the UK?

SallyKay

Hi there,

Just wondering how often your kids get sick in Australia compared to the UK. I'm hoping a lot less as all through Autumn to Spring my kids seem to get one thing after another. My kids are healthy and don't seem to be ill anymore than anyone else's I know but it seems there are just so many germs here during these months. I'm hoping when we emigrate next year due to the different climate a smaller population we won't have as much??

I have found that he is sick more. HOWEVER, we are in our second year here and he started daycare just before winter. The first two to three months we were here he was sick CONSTANTLY!! It was god awful. We were living with other kids who were at school and kindy and they bought stuff home that didnt affect them at all but it did our little one.

We have just been through our first winter in daycare and been sick pretty much all the time again. Endless colds, runny nose, fever etc.

We seem to be through it all now. He has always been a healthy child.

I would say though that when you get there they are suddenly exposed to all sorts of new viruses that they have not encountered before. They are bound to get sick. I dont think its any different to the UK only that winter is shorter (in QLD anyway) so less chance of illness. I think all kids get sick regardless really, they just pass it round each other at varying degrees.

Yeah I expect it through the winter months I think it just seems to extend to spring and autumn here now as the weather is so much worse in the last 6 years. I'm hoping as we had the heat wave this year it may have killed a few viruses off so we may have a better Autumn although having said that my kids already have colds after two weeks back at school! Ha ha! Thanks for your replies, I guess even if they continue to get sick the sun will at least be out! :-) x

The first 18 months we were here both us and the kids picked up so many bugs,the Dr said it because they were 'different strains' to what our bodies were used to. Thankfully for the last few years we seem to get the winter cold which has resulted in both kids missing a day or two ,but not much more than that.

Cal x

I cannot comment on kids, but I don't see why it would be different to adults. I have definitely noted over the years that people are more prone to bugs and coughs and colds when they first arrive, which I also believe is attributed to encountering new strains. We both found the same, but three years in our frequency for being sick is much the same as it ever was i.e. very low.

I never get sick here. I never got sick in the uk. I do get less hayfever here though.

My work mates seem to get sick just as much as my work mates did in the uk. In summer too. People seem to blame the air con and change of temperature for getting sick in the summer here. Who knows.

I never get sick here. I never got sick in the uk. I do get less hayfever here though.

My work mates seem to get sick just as much as my work mates did in the uk. In summer too. People seem to blame the air con and change of temperature for getting sick in the summer here. Who knows.

Good to hear about the hay fever, myself and my son suffer terribly. It makes perfect sense that we will be subject to new strains but good to hear that some of you have found that after this initial period things settle down!:wink:

Maybe to do with the age of the kids? My son was 2 when we arrived...when he started kindy he was constantly unwell with colds, coughs etc for the first winter...next few winters average amount , maybe 3 or 4 infections, this year just the one or two and seems to shake them off quicker. Could very well be due to normal development though and developing immunity to the strains that are going around. Im sick the same amount of times as I was in the UK, fairly infrequently.

I don't hunk there is much of a difference with general sickness with our little boy.

however his eczema is nearly gone here, we only have a flare up every few months which we can control very easily. In the uk we couldn't get on top of it and had to be rubbing all sorts of treatments in over the course of his whole life.

Hi there,

Just wondering how often your kids get sick in Australia compared to the UK. I'm hoping a lot less as all through Autumn to Spring my kids seem to get one thing after another. My kids are healthy and don't seem to be ill anymore than anyone else's I know but it seems there are just so many germs here during these months. I'm hoping when we emigrate next year due to the different climate a smaller population we won't have as much??

Up until this year never. This year has been horrific for both my girls and I can't wait for it to be over.

Have had the opposite - 2-3 colds per year in the UK in the 5 years before i moved to Australia, since we moved neither me or partner have had a single cold. or hayfever. and my asthma has virtually disappeared since moving from London to Melbourne, the air is so much cleaner here.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

It's one of the main reasons why I want to emigrate, the long cold, miserable UK winters, where there seems little let up of folk being poorly at work, even if there's little difference on the colds front in Oz at least the weathers far better, which makes you feel better and it is definitely better for your aches and pains, which must make you feel healthier and be good for your own personal well being.

We found we caught everything here in the first few years. My kids even got cuts which became badly infected and needed antibiotic creams, just from normal cuts. The doctors told us its pretty common for immigrants until your body adapts. Bacteria multiply much faster in the heat too. After approx 18 mths their cuts no longer became almost instantly infected and they now just get the normal bugs everyone else does, coughs colds, etc..

We have develloped allergies here we never had, both myself and my son have frequent allergic reactions we never had before. BUT my ezcema is much more controllable as the cold makes it worse.

My 2 kids never missed a day off school and they came here as pre-schoolers. I guess they had time to build up immunity. OTOH, my 3 older boys raised in the Uk were often sick, particulalry in winter time. I myself, suffered terrible sinus problems in the UK and haven't had a hint of it in my 18 yrs here.

Our youngest was 2 when we came and had the usual colds passed on from other kids when he went to kindy. Me and the missus had flu here in the first couple of years. It was the worst I've felt with anything, had to come home from work and felt so bad I didn't think I was going to make the drive. Spent a few days in bed sweating, not being able to eat much, not feeling hungry, bad headaches, felt awful. Doctor said it was due to us not being exposed to the type of flue that comes through this part of the World before. Since that we've been pretty well and never had flue like symptoms like that since. Both boys have been generally well, not missed many days off school at all.

We've tried the flu jab, which is free, provided by a lot of companies and not had any signs of flu. We've also had some years when we've not had it and not had flu too, so who knows.

Generally we are fitter and spend more time outdoors doing sporty stuff, so it may be that we can fight off bugs better?

Until this year none of us have really been ill, just maybe the odd light cold, with the exception of a very bad cold that I caught from my mum in law when she visited from the UK which turned in to a sinus infection. However, this year has been terrible! I've had flu twice (the sort that makes you feel like you are dying - OH had to take time off work to look after me!), OH had a very bad cold which he doesn't seem to usually, and both the kids have been off school with flu and vomiting bugs. They have never had vomiting bugs before (they are five and seven), but there was an epidemic in the area. At one point half of the kids were out of school!

I am hoping that it is just because we had a mild winter, and that we have no more!

• 2 weeks later...

funny , on my flight - trip / reccie to and from oz , both flights i am sure i caught bugs due to circulating air on the planes as felt quite ill for coupke of days ... bad throats , temp, cough ... doesnt help being sat so close to people for 20 hours, however it dissapeared after couple if days landing in oz . that makes total sense about bew exposure to different strains though!

• 1 month later...

My son has had 100 percent school attendance every year we have been here. That says it all really.
I was interested in reading the comments because the thread topic is quite an interesting one. I saw your reply about the 100% school attendance l wanted to congratulate you and your son ! it is a great effort to go the whole school year without a single day off.

Until this year none of us have really been ill, just maybe the odd light cold, with the exception of a very bad cold that I caught from my mum in law when she visited from the UK which turned in to a sinus infection. However, this year has been terrible! I've had flu twice (the sort that makes you feel like you are dying - OH had to take time off work to look after me!), OH had a very bad cold which he doesn't seem to usually, and both the kids have been off school with flu and vomiting bugs. They have never had vomiting bugs before (they are five and seven), but there was an epidemic in the area. At one point half of the kids were out of school!

I am hoping that it is just because we had a mild winter, and that we have no more!

Hello LKC, I think that when people (kids included) go a few years without pickup a certain bugs it is "fantastic" but the down side is your immune system needs to catch the bugs in order to build up a resistance to them.... so l guess the moral to my little story is that it is great to go a while without getting crook..... but no matter where you live, if you go a while without getting crook it is only a matter of time before you do catch a bug which might really knock you around for a few days.

So while l try to avoid getting sick myself... the sad reality is we all need to suffer the pain of a bad flu or a bad stomach bug every few years.

Archived