How are you finding the start of winter?

runslikeafish

So how are all the new arrivals finding the start of winter? This week has seen the first frost of the year where I live in Sandy Bay and a work colleague tells me it was 2 degrees on Monday morning.

Personally I love the cool crisp days, you get some beautiful skies and it's still really warm in the sun. I remember last May having a 27 degree day so I am expecting some variation!

​I work with a few people who fly in from Queensland and they don't cope too well with the temperatures :)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today is the first day it's rained in Sydney for ages....up to now we've had really nice settled weather. Days have been beaut, about 20-23C in the main. It soon chills down in the late afternoon, nights have been down to about 5C at coldest so far where we live.

Quite enjoying it tbh, the house we have this year copes with cold nights much better than last year's laughable place (it's still not exactly great but all relative). I am really missing cycle commuting though. Tried twice now and tonight reluctantly accepted the inevitable and given up. It's just too dangerous in the dark on the only available roads

So how are all the new arrivals finding the start of winter?

I don't qualify as a new arrival...but I do love this time of year in Hobart. Love the autumn colours, the mellow light, the new season's apples and pears - and being able to work outside without getting hot and sweaty.

I even feel quite cheerful about carting wood for the wood heater: no doubt that will fade by the end of winter. :rolleyes:

Definitely starting to enjoy morning bike rides, around 12 degrees is perfect for me. When it got down to 6 one morning I did feel it a bit. Got the winter duvet on now! DS not got his leccy blanket on yet, last year he never needed it. Going to miss half the winter this year as going back to Scotland where it'll probably be colder!!

Not noticing yet in Perth. Early morning is a bit chillier but then it's business as normal, still at the beach or river with the dogs, still only wearing tee shirts or summer dresses and the best bit still able to sit outside at night. Was still 15 deg at 10pm last night

Edited by fifi69

well, i have the electric blanket in position ....as it comes so fast ......lovely warm days throw us and tend to be un prepared but not this yr im getting all the flannelette gear out and im buying some warm slippers from Rivers tmoz..........yes i was a cub and a scout !

well, i have the electric blanket in position ....as it comes so fast ......lovely warm days throw us and tend to be un prepared but not this yr im getting all the flannelette gear out and im buying some warm slippers from Rivers tmoz..........yes i was a cub and a scout !

Still can't believe that people use electric blankets here. Never even had one in the UK and we used to wake up with ice on the INSIDE of the windows some mornings.

I've only just started wearing a T shirt to bed and push the winter duve my missus has put on to her side of the bed. I'm boiling in bed.

Still can't believe that people use electric blankets here. Never even had one in the UK and we used to wake up with ice on the INSIDE of the windows some mornings.

You must be confused, Paul. Only Australian houses are that badly insulated. :wink:

Shocking and unbelievable to be honest.

We live in a pretty new house (sub 5 years) and we have condensation on the single glazed windows in the morning.

I remember as a kid in the UK like 25 years ago having condensation. That's my last memory of it.

We live in a 5* energy rated house out here! This is so backward it's not funny.

Not looking forward to the gas bill!

I came here from Melbourne and it isn't too dissimilar. I knew what I was coming to, but I am a lover of warm weather. I chose the beauty of Tasmania and its lower population above keeping warm! I've adjusted already (as much as I will). The first cold nights/mornings I couldn't wait to turn the heating on, now not so much.

The mornings, days, and evenings have been generally beautiful despite the cold. I am happy in Tasmania.

Edited by violethaze

The first flat I stayed in the UK (96) had single glazed windows, and I used to get ice on the inside. Damned freezing it was. We get condensation on some of our windows now. Some of them are old double glazing and aren't vented. They need replacing but they are not cheap. They seem to be leaning towards tripple glazing here now.

Shocking and unbelievable to be honest.

We live in a pretty new house (sub 5 years) and we have condensation on the single glazed windows in the morning.

I remember as a kid in the UK like 25 years ago having condensation. That's my last memory of it.

We live in a 5* energy rated house out here! This is so backward it's not funny.

Not looking forward to the gas bill!

They seem to be leaning towards tripple glazing here now.

Some of the local window suppliers here also offer triple glazing now. I'm hoping to replace some windows soon: am preparing myself for the price shock.:shocked:

• 3 weeks later...

Now that winter really has begun... I'm feeling it. Came here from Melbourne (and have lived years in the UK). While sometimes there is little difference between the temps in Hobart and in Melbourne, the past couple of days have been significantly colder (in terms of the apparent temperature - how cold it really feels vs the thermometer reading). It isn't feeling too different to the UK either as far as I'm concerned.

The grey skies we are currently experiencing are a drag, but I'm told they aren't the norm for winter days in Tasmania.

Not long until the shortest day of the year then it is all up hill again, which is good as I am not a fan of it being dark before 5pm either.

Still love Tassie though.

Im finding it cold. Today only reached 15d in Perth, with cloud cover it felt chilly. The house is freezing. On sunny days its warmer outside and feels very pleasant. Im looking forward to Spring put it that way. The Perth winter is generally too cold for me. Mid twenties by day and low to mid teens by night, Autumn and Spring are best in terms of in home comfort.