How are you finding the start of winter?

runslikeafish

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not everyone can live in a newer home in the UK. My mums council house is freezing and the central heating only takes the temp up a few degrees in the bedrooms. Her thermometer always reads 'too cold, turn up heating', that's after moderisation and new windows. I can remember waking up to see ice inside and my breath visible. Winters the past few years have been very cold with minus temps the norm. We complain here about housing but its often no better in the UK. How many pensioners die of hypothermia in their own homes here?

Edited by HappyHeart

Guest Guest26012
A very pleasant 23 degrees here in Perth at the moment. Perfect beer garden weather!! :)

Its bloody freezing lol!

Not everyone can live in a newer home in the UK. My mums council house is freezing and the central heating only takes the temp up a few degrees in the bedrooms. Her thermometer always reads 'too cold, turn up heating', that's after moderisation and new windows. I can remember waking up to see ice inside and my breath visible. Winters the past few years have been very cold with minus temps the norm. We complain here about housing but its often no better in the UK. How many pensioners die of hypothermia in their own homes here?

On average IME they are miles better at dealing with winter temperatures in the UK. I remember houses that were like that too - in the 1970s. I've not experienced one in the past 20 years, in what must be 20+ houses I have had close personal experience of (ones either I've lived in, or family member shave, or friends). I just haven't ever felt cold inside even in hard winters. OTOH, houses that are cold inside in winter are certainly the norm in Sydney. The one I live in now is the best I've experienced, and it's borderline OK. If I owned it I'd be improving it rapido. All the others - ones I've lived in, friends' houses (and yes, owned ones, not just rentals, and even ones that are recently built) have been rubbish at handling the cold. Actually we were just in a friend's house yesterday that was blummin' freezing. Don't know how they put up with it tbh, it brought all the bad experiences of living in a cols house in winter flooding back and for me, being cold inside really affects the quality of my life - I hate it

If the point of your post is to say that the average house here is no worse than the average house in the UK at handling winter then I simply can't agree. It's not just about "newer houses" either. Have owned houses up to 650 years old in England (and most of 'em at least Victorian) and never had issues like this

one heat pump in a house does not do what radiators do in the UK.

It is cold in Tassie right now. Snow on the mountain. Cold wind/breeze. The thermometer currently (at 2.40pm) says 10 deg C, but the apparent temperature is only 2 deg C. It's freezing.

I'm looking forward to having a house with a fireplace/woodheater next winter.

Edited by violethaze

Guest hill billy
It's been cold today. I'm sitting here with fleecy lined leggings on and a cashmere cardy and socks, and the heatings on 26!

I live in Melbourne i never have the heating on more than 19, we have ducted heating, 2 ducts in the lounge, 3 in family room, 1 in each bedroom and 1 in each bathroom, plenty warm enough.

Our rental in QLD was significantly colder inside than out in the winter. Houses available in our budget range ($500 pw) remind me very much of old student digs in UK from the 80's. I didn't care back then, but living in such sordid accommodation does get to me. I'm amazed at the quality of housing in Brisbane, even newer properties. They must have the skills here, I don't know why construction is so poor.

My experience - we spend as much on gas, electricity and wood as we did in the UK and live in a 'colder' house in the winter here in Sydney.

We are on bottled gas though with a wood burner as our chosen source of main heating. But it is a choice thing. My BIL/SIL spend over a $1000 on gas a quarter heating their home and their home is warm. We chose to do differently and heat our main public area and our bedroom. The kids just freeze!

I am still happy though.

(sorry, just noticed this is in the Tassie section. If my current house was in Tasmania, I would be weeping!)

Edited by fleabo

I'm looking forward to having a house with a fireplace/woodheater next winter.

I haven't been feeling cold at all thanks to my lovely woodheater. In fact, I woke up yesterday morning and thought how warm it was...walked into the lounge room and the thermostat was reading 25 degrees! All the cats had removed themselves some distance from the heater. :cute: So I've learnt that the wood I had delivered this year burns particularly hot and putting two large logs in overnight creates a sweatbox. :biggrin:

Got a spare room Skani? Woodburner is the way to go, I so want one but it wouldnt work in our house, too many separate rooms

HH I had a Norseman woodburner for 2 winters , when it was up and glowing due to me doing it then it was great , heated most of the 5 bed 3 living areas up and sometimes was just nice and warm in the morning BUT , when tonyman is working ,someone has to maintain the heat and if your not prepared to get your hands dirty then a wood burner is not for you.......I sacked it sold it for $400 and spent $3500 on a fantastic open flame gas burner that is so powerful with instant heat around the house , never looked back ............MIL has a woodburner , ive shown her how to use it and up to now she doing ok , BUT I can guarantee that come next yr she will have had enough and want instant heat ..........they are lovely I miss it in a small way but it has to be team work with them , had a coal fire in one of my houses in the uk and that was the same but had to be on 24 hrs a day ! :wink:

• 3 weeks later...
Guest The Ropey HOFF
Beautiful winter day in Hobart

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20095[/ATTACH]

Wheres the snow, sleet and rain?

Looks incredible.