Is Sydney any cheaper than Perth ?

PomPrincesses

I'm not buying brands like the example on the other threads about paying $16 for a bottle of Ribena. I buy cereal, I eat uncle Toby's oats, the kids will now eat baked beans on toast for breakfast, they don't like the cornflakes etc here. Raiswn toast for snacks, obviously tea bags, milk, then stuff for packed lunches apples little oranges kiwi fruit, pop corn made in the microwave, sandwiches, cooked meat, cheeses for those.

Dinner is usually achicken or steak stir fry, a chicken breast with roast potatoes, the odd pizza but I don't like ready meals here. I bought a lot more convenience food in M&S than I do here.

So this is all the food you are eating for breakfast, sandwiches for dinner and the chicken/pizza and tea?

I have never been to Coles or IGA and spent $700 in one go but over the course of a week it's been that amount and short of eating tomato sauce or waiting until breakfast could be bought the next day that was exactly the situation we faced. More than once.

So after eating all that food in the day you're hungry at night? Didnt think of buying a bag of twisties or a cherry ripe at the shop?

and the cupboards are so bare at 9pm you have to eat an onion,

but full of cereal, bread and baked beans by breakfast time the next morning, or do you go to the shops before you make breakfast???

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest GC25inoz

Thanks so much, really starting to panic then!

We are looking to move to Mackay we have been told it is expanding rapidly and so everything is very expensive.

Not sure how this site works yet, still finding my way around. Do you have any advice on learning the ropes?

Hi Everyone, this is my first posting on PIO.

OMG!! We are contemplating moving to Queensland, but I cant believe what I am reading about the price of groceries and accommodation, it sounds totally crazy.

I am looking at Jobs with salary of $93,000 which to be honest sounded good compared to what I earn here. We have not started looking at jobs for my husband yet.

We are a couple with two pre-school children, how much would we need to earn to have a reasonable standard of living?

In uk we live in a three bed detached, have two average cars and eat out appx 3 times a month, we were hoping to have a similar standard of living over there, but I really think we need to think again, the cost sounds completely prohibitive.

Can anyone advise us?

120000 + if your to include a holiday or two .

Hi Everyone, this is my first posting on PIO.

OMG!! We are contemplating moving to Queensland, but I cant believe what I am reading about the price of groceries and accommodation, it sounds totally crazy.

I am looking at Jobs with salary of $93,000 which to be honest sounded good compared to what I earn here. We have not started looking at jobs for my husband yet.

We are a couple with two pre-school children, how much would we need to earn to have a reasonable standard of living?

In uk we live in a three bed detached, have two average cars and eat out appx 3 times a month, we were hoping to have a similar standard of living over there, but I really think we need to think again, the cost sounds completely prohibitive.

Can anyone advise us?

$93,000 will give you about $69,000 or $5,700 a month after tax

Have a look here to get an idea of house prices/rent in the area you're looking at

http://www.realestate.com.au/buy

The site also has suburb reviews so you can see what others living there think about it

You can get an idea of shopping prices from here

http://www.woolworths.com.au/wps/wcm/connect/Website/Woolworths/Home/

or

http://www.coles.com.au/

Second hand cars can be expensive in Oz

http://www.carsales.com.au/

Home phone/Internet about $100-$120 per month

Electricity $150-$200 per month

Foxtel (SKY TV) is around $80-$100 per month

Mobile phone contracts $50 - $100 per month

The median *household* income in Queensland is $75,000 so your salary alone would be considerably above average. If your husband also will be earning you should have no problem.

Thanks so much, really starting to panic then!

We are looking to move to Mackay we have been told it is expanding rapidly and so everything is very expensive.

Not sure how this site works yet, still finding my way around. Do you have any advice on learning the ropes?

On the Queensland sub forum on PIO there have been several threads about Mackay. Have a search through them...they will be the people with the most relevant information for you.

The point was never around were we spending $700 and if we spent $800 all would be fine. It was OMG we've spent all that money and still need to buy more. The nights we've gone to bed hungry of course we've got up the next day and bought more but that doesn't help at 10pm at night.

Pf course there's more to this than money or cost of food. I do wish we'd gone to Sydney if I'm honest and will be returning to the UK at the earliest possible as it happens.

I originally asked if most of your salary is going on childcare as you say you work and earn $80,000 and have young children. I was just wondering who looks after the children when you work in the medical field. So you didn't really answer the question again. It doesn't really matter how much you spend on food that is entirely up to you. The fact of the matter is that you say that you are going to bed hungry spending $700 a week on food when you and your husband earn $220,000. My husband earns less than half of what you earn and we do not go to bed hungry.

Go to Africa, show them your budget, tell them how you go to bed hungry and see if you get much sympathy. I find it crass to say the least.

My husband and I have been to Africa and administered health care, can you say the same ? I never asked for sympathy I asked for comparisons. I think I made that fairly clear on more than one occasion.

Guest JK2510

We know you asked for comparisons but the thing we are shocked about and are trying to gauge is....where does the money go? I didn't realise there was a Harvey nicks in Perth...we are all a little...:confused:

I originally asked if most of your salary is going on childcare as you say you work and earn $80,000 and have young children. I was just wondering who looks after the children when you work in the medical field. So you didn't really answer the question again. It doesn't really matter how much you spend on food that is entirely up to you. The fact of the matter is that you say that you are going to bed hungry spending $700 a week on food when you and your husband earn $220,000. My husband earns less than half of what you earn and we do not go to bed hungry.

What about my question?

Ok, I have only just seen this thread; these are MY thoughts on the matter and you did say “Any thoughts/info would be gratefully received

The opening line says it all, you want to leave, you aren’t prepared to listen to any advice given on here and you are trying to tell people you are struggling to live on $220,000

There are people who earn a hell of a lot less than that living in Perth and aren’t struggling and certainly aren’t going to bed hungry, in fact they are thriving

A bit from Stevie F8's quote above. He followed on with some calculations that I couldn't be bothered doing so did everyone a favour. Great work Stevie.

You can see they should be able to have a great lifestyle even with their outgoings. The same person has another thread going about how expensive it is in Perth. Starts it off with a post that she's paying $6 for 2 litres of milk and I don't know how much for a pair of jeans. Obviously got shot down straight away when people responded that you can get milk for $2 and jeans from $15.

Then the obvious happens "but they aren't designer jeans" etc. As if designer jeans in the UK have suddenly dropped to $15 each.

You would think the poster would have enough advice from one thread.

A bit from Stevie F8's quote above. He followed on with some calculations that I couldn't be bothered doing so did everyone a favour. Great work Stevie.

You can see they should be able to have a great lifestyle even with their outgoings. The same person has another thread going about how expensive it is in Perth. Starts it off with a post that she's paying $6 for 2 litres of milk and I don't know how much for a pair of jeans. Obviously got shot down straight away when people responded that you can get milk for $2 and jeans from $15.

Then the obvious happens "but they aren't designer jeans" etc. As if designer jeans in the UK have suddenly dropped to $15 each.

You would think the poster would have enough advice from one thread.

Really I have a thread going about designer jeans ? I don't own any jeans at all so that I'd like to see

True, but when the uk economy picks up only the weather will be better here, I see not many people have answered the question, weather and economy aside what's better...?

In my opinion only .....aside from the weather and the economy the Scenery is magnificent, wildlife, sealife, beaches with clean clear water.

Compared to where we were in the uk the High schools seem better, the youth seem a lot more polite and focused. This could just be due to the area we came from and where we have ended up.

The parks for the kids are fantastic, kids are welcome at places and are catered for with play apparatus, they are even happy to go to bunnings as they get to play.

The people seem friendlier.

We have only been here 4 months but these are my perceptions so far. I'm sure they differ for everyone!

True, but when the uk economy picks up only the weather will be better here, I see not many people have answered the question, weather and economy aside what's better...?

Probably because they get sick of repeating the same answers. There are plenty of threads on why some people have found migrating to be a positive experience. But it's not mandatory. If it's not better for you then don't worry what others think...it's your life and only you can live it.

In my opinion only .....aside from the weather and the economy the Scenery is magnificent, wildlife, sealife, beaches with clean clear water.

Compared to where we were in the uk the High schools seem better, the youth seem a lot more polite and focused. This could just be due to the area we came from and where we have ended up.

The parks for the kids are fantastic, kids are welcome at places and are catered for with play apparatus, they are even happy to go to bunnings as they get to play.

The people seem friendlier.

We have only been here 4 months but these are my perceptions so far. I'm sure they differ for everyone!

See you lived in west Sussex, we're going to move back around that area, looking forward to our weekends down the best place in the world... Brighton . Nothing gets close to it... And I have all the sunshine in the world here in WA but give it all up for a cold wet walk down there

Hallo everyone

I am still following this thread with a kind of awed fascination that it is still going! PP is clearly a wind up merchant. If you look back over her posts, every single time a solution has been offered it has been met with yet another tale of woe involving hand woven nappies or something. I am breaking my internet habit of always trying to be positive and kind .... to say this has got to be all garbage. Tomato ketchup? It is so bad its funny - I ate better than that on a grant at Uni and we really did eat rubbish then I promise.

So - a wind up merchant. I am convinced of it. Either that or this is some sort of Ph D Psychologist researching the extent of people's gullibility during online chat. I am absolutely NOT going to write another thing and well done PP for keeping the joke going for so long. I may be tempted to take a little peek if the thread carries on though .....

PS If I thought it was of interest to anyone I would mention that my daughter is part of a car club in Sydney that enables her to use a small car whenever she needs one and avoid heavy annual insurance etc. charges. Cars are parked locally, she has an access card and pays a monthly sum much lower than car owning costs. I don't know if its just Sydney, think its called something like GetCar or Gocar. Compromise solution?

Happy whingeing everyone :-)

• Like 1

PS If I thought it was of interest to anyone I would mention that my daughter is part of a car club in Sydney that enables her to use a small car whenever she needs one and avoid heavy annual insurance etc. charges. Cars are parked locally, she has an access card and pays a monthly sum much lower than car owning costs. I don't know if its just Sydney, think its called something like GetCar or Gocar. Compromise solution?

Nearly right.. :wink:

They're called GoGet. Their cars are parked everywhere around here. It's a great idea, but not available in Perth, unfortunately.

http://www.goget.com.au

We know you asked for comparisons but the thing we are shocked about and are trying to gauge is....where does the money go? I didn't realise there was a Harvey nicks in Perth...we are all a little...:confused:

There is Prada and Louis Vuitton and of course the delightful tiffany's ... we should meet up for a coffee on Kings Steet and go shopping Jodie (window shopping that is lol).

Hallo everyone

I am still following this thread with a kind of awed fascination that it is still going! PP is clearly a wind up merchant. If you look back over her posts, every single time a solution has been offered it has been met with yet another tale of woe involving hand woven nappies or something. I am breaking my internet habit of always trying to be positive and kind .... to say this has got to be all garbage. Tomato ketchup? It is so bad its funny - I ate better than that on a grant at Uni and we really did eat rubbish then I promise.

So - a wind up merchant. I am convinced of it. Either that or this is some sort of Ph D Psychologist researching the extent of people's gullibility during online chat. I am absolutely NOT going to write another thing and well done PP for keeping the joke going for so long. I may be tempted to take a little peek if the thread carries on though .....

I’m beginning to think the same thing

People have offered advice on meals and where to shop and so on, they have been quickly shot down

But when I questioned them about the absolute basic facts, that they wrote, there has been total silence

Like how they have a cupboard full of food, in a morning to make breakfast and packed lunches with (Oats, Mlk, Tea, Coffee, Cereal, Beans, Toast, Raisin toast, Apples, Oranges, Kiwi Fruit, Popcorn, Sandwiches, Cooked Meat, Cheeses) but at night all there is to eat is an onion and some tomato sauce? :laugh::twitcy: