Is Sydney any cheaper than Perth ?

PomPrincesses

I think if you've been used to doing your entire weekly shop at M&S and you're used to buying the kind of top end pre prepared stuff they sell then you come here and shop in the same way you will get a big shock...I suppose you have to adapt...after all that's what emigrating is all about and the most basic advice repeated on here often is dont expect it to be like England...its a completely different country.You can't compare the two countries because Australian shops that do offer that kind style of shopping offer an exclusive price tag to match! Nice for a treat though, has anyone been to Herdsman in Wembley...just like M&S

I understand what you are saying but what I think I'm missing is you make all these changes cut back on everything Etc etc, and sunshine and economy aside for what...?

Edited by paul1977

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest guest17301

Well thats up to the individual Paul...if its not worth it for you then its not worth it...I have said before people who have a lifestyle 'upgrade' if you like tend to be much more satisfied with their lives here and not concern themselves with costs so much....I'm not so sure Id have taken the plunge if I had a fab house in the country/fab social life/great job etc...i know people move for all sorts of reasons and we were happy with our lot in England but we were just 'exisiting' to be honest...not really living...due to lack of funds...no freedom to explore/holiday etc....whereas when you are more financially comfortable those needs are met in the UK...less financially secure people move to Oz and find those needs met on an everyday basis!

Well thats up to the individual Paul...if its not worth it for you then its not worth it...I have said before people who have a lifestyle 'upgrade' if you like tend to be much more satisfied with their lives here and not concern themselves with costs so much....I'm not so sure Id have taken the plunge if I had a fab house in the country/fab social life/great job etc...i know people move for all sorts of reasons and we were happy with our lot in England but we were just 'exisiting' to be honest...not really living...due to lack of funds...no freedom to explore/holiday etc....whereas when you are more financially comfortable those needs are met in the UK...less financially secure people move to Oz and find those needs met on an everyday basis!

But for me the only thing better here at the MOMENT is weather and econamy ... Please tell me the others...?

But for me the only thing better here at the MOMENT is weather and econamy ... Please tell me the others...?

That's an absolutely personal thing. For me, job prospects, more space, a nicer environment to live in and yes, I do have a better standard of living. Its so individual and what's important to some isn't to others. I have a much simpler life here and I love it. I'm sure many will disagree but I do find Perth very laid back and this is part of its appeal.

Ok, I have only just seen this thread; these are MY thoughts on the matter and you did say “Any thoughts/info would be gratefully received

The opening line says it all, you want to leave, you aren’t prepared to listen to any advice given on here and you are trying to tell people you are struggling to live on $220,000

There are people who earn a hell of a lot less than that living in Perth and aren’t struggling and certainly aren’t going to bed hungry, in fact they are thriving

We came here for my job which hasn't really worked out and I want to leave after just 4 weeks.

So rather than look for another role in Perth I am seriously considering reverting to the original plan which was to go to Sydney.

In Perth I am paying $650 a week for a quite run down house in a really good suburb about 30 from the city. Food prices are mental, 5 of us one is a baby and breast fed thank god, still spending $700 a week on food and if I am honest DH and I go to bed hungry at times because we've just run out.

DH earns $140,000 and could work in Sydney or Perth, I earn about $80,000, might be able to command a bit more and a car in my next role - didn't know that when applying from the UK.

Any thoughts/info would be gratefully received.

$140,000 is $98,000 after tax

$80,000 is $61,000 after tax

Total income after tax is $159,000

$650 a week rent is $33,800 a year rent

$700 a week on food is $36,400 a year

Total listed outgoings is $70,200

There are no school fees on a 457 in Perth, unless you are paying for private schools

So that will leave $88,800 left for other expenses or $1700 a week

We would earn too much for any financial help here or in the UK. We came out with £10,000 and I've been really glad of it to get us settled, buy bits and pieces whilst we wait for the container to arrive and topping up our income. Obviously rent is a large chunk of our income but the ret basically is going on food. I can't even consider buying a car yet.

That, on the current exchange rate is about $15,000 – more than enough to buy the basics for a rental house, and no way would you have burned through that in 4 weeks especially as you didn’t use it to buy a car

The Rent & Food is clearly not taking up all of you money, see above – after Rent & Food you STILL have $1,700 a week left

Yes that's true a pizza in IGA is $20 for a fresh one rather than froze but even so, then to eat out in the Italian at the end of the road is $16 and no washing up. We try and do that once a week and not have coffee out during the week.

IGA don’t have an online shop to verify that price, but I can tell you Eagle Boys are doing 2 large pizzas, a garlic bread and a coke for less than $20 so I really can’t see that the IGA is selling 1 $20 uncooked pizza

And if you really are ‘going to bed hungry’ then you would buy pizza from Cole or Woolies where it will be miles cheaper than IGA

Also you were asked to give details of the cleaning cloths and snacks that cost $200 and you didn’t

You see if we moved interstate now it would be a case of repacki g the suitcases where as if we left it until say after Christmas it'll be aot more expensive. We are starting to acquire things and I'll have to tell the shipping company in the uk where I want it sending to pretty quickly too.

It does feel a bit now or never, I like Perth but feel a bit like I am payi g a premium because of the mining bubble which we aren't involved in, that said we like the weather a lot too and not paying for schools on the 457

So it’s not like your money has been spent kitting out the rental house, or are you sitting and sleeping on the floor?

You will be paying for school fees in NSW on a 457 from the quick check I’ve done $4,500 per child so if you can’t afford to eat now you will starve to death in Sydney

Think what you like that is how we feel right now, not even had a bill through the door yet and hubby and I are going without food to make sure the kids don't.

In comparison I doubt I ever spent £200 in tesco's even at Christmas so I don't think we have ridiculously expensive tastes.

I love that you can come on this forum to ask advice and within 4 pages are called a liar. Charming.

So you have paid no gas, electric, water, foxtel, insurance, telephone bills anything and you still can’t afford to eat?

This just doesn’t add up

I wish people had been a bit more honest when we were researching our move because I am sorry but I know what I spend, my neighbours just have two children and they spend between 400-500 a week and another parent at the school we discussed the matter with has three children and they are happy if their grocery bill is less than a thousand a week. Goodness knows what people are eating that they can get away with $200 a week, good luck to them but it simply is not my experience.

What do you mean ‘been more honest’ you have access to a computer and the internet, go to Coles or Woolies online and do a shop and see what it costs before you leave

You’re not going to like my post, I can tell by the way you have had a go at other people who have offered advice after you asked for the advice and said it would be gratefully received, until you get question on the figures YOU provided, then you don’t like it

Frankly I couldn’t care less either way, but what you are saying doesn’t make sense, your figures don’t add up and there isn’t 1 person in Australia on $220,000 going to bed hungry

You don’t want to be in Perth, you want to be in Sydney it seems you are just fishing for the excuse that will get you out of there and you won’t get it on here

In fact you come across as someone who should just go back to the UK

Guest guest17301

Thats what I mean...if its not better for you its not better for you! Its individual! Thats how you find it!

Whatever you think of the OP, there are some truly nasty posts on this thread - I hope some of those responsible are proud of themselves

Good luck PP, whatever you decide to do. BTW Sydney is no cheaper, so if it ain't working out cost-wise, go home. As you have probably spotted, it's not a paradise over here that's worth sacrificing yourselves for, so be pragmatic and make the right choices for your family

Guest lisa crowe
Our family is double the size of yours do you not get that ? You aren't living on $67,000 you have a part time job so unless they are paying you in magic beans you need to factor that in

I've not included my PT job as ive only just started it and have only today recieved my first 2 weeks pay, so for the first 4 and a half months we've managed quite well on $1012, and even if your family is twice the size of mine, on what your income is you should be able to feed and clothe your entire road!!

Just wondered if most of your salary is going on chilldcare as you say you have young children and you are working earning $80,000 a year. That would explain where a lot of your salary is going apart from the food element.

The point was never around were we spending $700 and if we spent $800 all would be fine. It was OMG we've spent all that money and still need to buy more. The nights we've gone to bed hungry of course we've got up the next day and bought more but that doesn't help at 10pm at night.

Pf course there's more to this than money or cost of food. I do wish we'd gone to Sydney if I'm honest and will be returning to the UK at the earliest possible as it happens.

Guest guest17301
The point was never around were we spending $700 and if we spent $800 all would be fine. It was OMG we've spent all that money and still need to buy more. The nights we've gone to bed hungry of course we've got up the next day and bought more but that doesn't help at 10pm at night.

Pf course there's more to this than money or cost of food. I do wish we'd gone to Sydney if I'm honest and will be returning to the UK at the earliest possible as it happens.

Now Im sorry but youve lost any credibility you had...you DO NOT go to bed hungry after spending $700 a week on food.

Now Im sorry but youve lost any credibility you had...you DO NOT go to bed hungry after spending $700 a week on food. .

I have never been to Coles or IGA and spent $700 in one go but over the course of a week it's been that amount and short of eating tomato sauce or waiting until breakfast could be bought the next day that was exactly the situation we faced. More than once.

Edited by PomPrincesses

Guest guest17301

Are you saying you spent that much on food and literally had NOTHING to eat to the point of going to bed hungry...are you really claiming that was the case???

Guest GC25inoz

Hi Everyone, this is my first posting on PIO.

OMG!! We are contemplating moving to Queensland, but I cant believe what I am reading about the price of groceries and accommodation, it sounds totally crazy.

I am looking at Jobs with salary of $93,000 which to be honest sounded good compared to what I earn here. We have not started looking at jobs for my husband yet.

We are a couple with two pre-school children, how much would we need to earn to have a reasonable standard of living?

In uk we live in a three bed detached, have two average cars and eat out appx 3 times a month, we were hoping to have a similar standard of living over there, but I really think we need to think again, the cost sounds completely prohibitive.

Can anyone advise us?

Guest The Pom Queen
Hi Everyone, this is my first posting on PIO.

OMG!! We are contemplating moving to Queensland, but I cant believe what I am reading about the price of groceries and accommodation, it sounds totally crazy.

I am looking at Jobs with salary of $93,000 which to be honest sounded good compared to what I earn here. We have not started looking at jobs for my husband yet.

We are a couple with two pre-school children, how much would we need to earn to have a reasonable standard of living?

In uk we live in a three bed detached, have two average cars and eat out appx 3 times a month, we were hoping to have a similar standard of living over there, but I really think we need to think again, the cost sounds completely prohibitive.

Can anyone advise us?

Please don't worry at all, you will be fine on that wage, if you are coming on a PR you will also get Family Tax Assistance

after reading 27 pages (and lost 30 mins of my life ) pmsl ...i cannot for the life of me fatthom out why ur managing to spend that amount on food ?? ...you say you do online shopping for essentials and buy extras on a daily basis ....would it not be better to sit down and make a list of meals for the week and get your shopping in one hit ....when you do it online it saves your list from week to week so you only have to add what you really need and not any extras .....buying shopping every other day will rack up your bill ....although as others have said even if you do spend this ...you should still at least have summit in the cupboard ??

mrs keily

oh god, it's 11pm and I'm starving, time to raid the kitchen to see if I can find anything to eat, exhausted after reading all this drivel. Ahhh cheese and crackers and an apple, or may be a bowl of cereal or a yoghurt, or left over chook from dinner, or a handful of almonds, glad I don't have to go to bed hungry.

My kids will be left the house to split 4 ways the rest we are spending on sex, drugs and rock and roll, the rest I suppose we'll have to waste on food etc .....quoted from may this year

ha ha .....found out where the moneys all going !!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

mrs keily

Edited by keily

Guest guest17301

Go to Africa, show them your budget, tell them how you go to bed hungry and see if you get much sympathy. I find it crass to say the least.

Edited by guest17301