Is Sydney any cheaper than Perth ?

PomPrincesses

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have just been and done the half weeks food shopping (we go twice a week). Tonight for dinner we are having lamb shanks with cauliflower mash and veggies, tomorrow is mediterranean roast veggies and grass-fed Southern Highlands (ie very good quality) New York cut steak. Wednesday we are having watermelon, mint and feta salad with fish (I will need to go and get some salmon fresh on Wednesday) and Thursday I got sausages for the girls (premium quality pork from the butcher) and we will have omelette because OH doesn't get home until 10pm. With the other bits I needed, and by going to the butcher, the supermarket and the fruit/veg place I spent exactly $108.05, then probably $15 more for fish on Wednesday. That includes lunches for our dd's and OH (I fast during the day), fruit, extra veggies for the girls to take cut up for recess, cereal for breakfast and milk. We certainly don't eat rubbish from the freezer section, I cook from scratch and I always buy good meat because OH and I eat a primal/paleo diet and so meat makes up a large part of it.

I do once a month a bigger shop, and go to Aldi and get a big box of washing powder, fabric softner, loo cleaner, kitchen rolls and loo rolls etc if they have decent ones, I don't buy fruit/veg or meat there because it is always a bit hit and miss and I prefer the quality at the fruit/veg shop and the butcher. We buy cat meat in bulk from the pet shop too, which is far cheaper. Neither of our girls wear nappies now, but when they did, those added a bit to the shopping bills.

We don't use things like orange squash/ribena or orange juice (milk or water for the children, water/tea/coffee for us), OH and I don't eat bread, pasta or rice or anything made with wheat, I do allow the girls to have biscuits and sweets sometimes and they eat cereal and bread/wraps, we eat cheese, butter, cold meats. I make our own yoghurt. I certainly don't buy lesser quality things, the quality of what we eat is very important to me, for example I will only buy good meat and fish. I do meal plan though, so left over veggies from the roast veg will be eaten cold on Wednesday with the Watermelon salad.

Do you work full time LKC ?

I work for myself (own business) and do full time hours in three days whilst youngest is in daycare/eldest is in school plus early mornings and evenings. I keep a log, and do approx 35 hours per week, sometimes more, sometimes less. I take Monday during the day off to do shopping, housework etc and because youngest is here so there is play-doh to play with and books to read. I did the shopping this morning, it took me less than an hour to do all three shops (supermarket, butcher and veg shop) and drive home and unpack. I have to do that because I don't take a regular salary as of yet, and oh is on $65k per year.

Guest Jessabel
Poor you, I can see that just nothing is going right for you just now, and nothing anyone on this website can say is going to help. Good luck!

Hi - we've just moved from Perth to Sydney and i find rents are a lot more expensive in Sydney. We were paying $420 per week in Perth (Scarborough) for a 3 bed 1 bath and we now live in the Sutherland shire (30 mins out of Sydney CBD) and we pay $740 per week for a 3 bed 2 bath. Food in the supermarkets is the same cost but i find eating out is cheaper and take away coffee is cheaper too in Sydney!

Let me know if you need anymore info

Thanks Jessabelle that is really helpful I guess it's an Australian thing we will get used to. I managed to cut back and get the bill down to $500 this week but we have another child and two adults joining us next week and frankly I am dreading it from a financial point of view. They will try and offer us money towards food and I couldn't possibly tell them what it'll cost they would be mortified.

Edited by PomPrincesses

well you have a whole range of wonderful recipes and cost cutting tips on here now - check out family meals for under $20 too - so that is going to help you big time.

Welcome to ' living the dream' a place where you have to scrimp and scrape in a country that's not in recession( wait untill it is and then see What your have to do) a Place where you have to watch what you put in your shopping basket, have to go here there and everywhere just to keep the food bill down, drive round in a 20 year old car, be advised to shop in charity shops for clothes to cost cut . Buy the worlds most over Priced property, a place where British mirgrants run the uk down , moan about eastern Europeans invaiding britian a breakdown in society, THEN move into places like joondulup , clarkson butler which has the most British people per square km anywhere in the world but Britain then hook up with British . We are the eastern Europeans of Australia with our british shops pubs etc, it's ok for us to do it but not them, to Many people compare a country in recession to a country that's not, yes your children will have a brighter future here today but who knows 10 years down the line.. Enjoy the dream people remember we're not in recession here and you really have to watch your money, living the dream has long gone for oz,

Rant over people

I'm proud of my 20 year old car and I like shopping in charity stores. This pair of '7 for all mankind' jeans were brand new and cost me $5, not sure if this shirt I've got on is Paul Smith or Marcs. I dont' care who had it before me. I'd prefer to have them than shop new in Best and Less or Target, not that there's anything wrong with them.

As for Pommy migrants living in little 'colonies'. So what? Welcome to the migrant experience. ALL migrants do that, from whichever country they come from, although not to my knowledge here in Sydney as far as the Pommies go. Of course you can find loads around the hostel communities.

I did not realize that things are quite so bad in the west though. Are there soup kitchens especially for 'Poor Poms?'

Guest guest17301
Welcome to ' living the dream' a place where you have to scrimp and scrape in a country that's not in recession( wait untill it is and then see What your have to do) a Place where you have to watch what you put in your shopping basket, have to go here there and everywhere just to keep the food bill down, drive round in a 20 year old car, be advised to shop in charity shops for clothes to cost cut . Buy the worlds most over Priced property, a place where British mirgrants run the uk down , moan about eastern Europeans invaiding britian a breakdown in society, THEN move into places like joondulup , clarkson butler which has the most British people per square km anywhere in the world but Britain then hook up with British . We are the eastern Europeans of Australia with our british shops pubs etc, it's ok for us to do it but not them, to Many people compare a country in recession to a country that's not, yes your children will have a brighter future here today but who knows 10 years down the line.. Enjoy the dream people remember we're not in recession here and you really have to watch your money, living the dream has long gone for oz,

Rant over people

I take it it's not going well Paul. That's not my Perth you describe...

Guest guest17301

Some people come here and want jam on it....you have to be prepared to work hard and put in a little groundwork to establish yourselves whatever your occupation or income. Its a big deal relocating halfway around the world..what do people expect??? Whinging poms who want it all on a silver platter because they 'deserve' it! Pah don't make me laugh, go back to England and whinge there... give all migrants a bad name....Ridiculous.

Edited by guest17301

Hi to everyone. Just read all 15 pages on this subject and I have to say I am shocked. I cannot understand how someone on $220,000 is struggling to pay the bills and feed a family of five. At the moment me, OH and three kids are surviving on less than half of that salary and we are managing OK. Definitely do not go to bed feeling hungry. This week we have eaten out once and had good homemade dinners every night and had a couple bottles of wine over the weekend. We are paying $600 approximately in rent at the moment. Just wondered apart from the usual bills etc is there something else that you are spending your wages on like childcare etc

I'm proud of my 20 year old car and I like shopping in charity stores. This pair of '7 for all mankind' jeans were brand new and cost me $5, not sure if this shirt I've got on is Paul Smith or Marcs. I dont' care who had it before me. I'd prefer to have them than shop new in Best and Less or Target, not that there's anything wrong with them.

As for Pommy migrants living in little 'colonies'. So what? Welcome to the migrant experience. ALL migrants do that, from whichever country they come from, although not to my knowledge here in Sydney as far as the Pommies go. Of course you can find loads around the hostel communities.

I did not realize that things are quite so bad in the west though. Are there soup kitchens especially for 'Poor Poms?'

Not especially for Poms sadly, I say that as some of our WA Poms are too poor to afford the bus fare to where the soup kitchens are located. Some concerned folk are attempting a house to house service to assist those so malnourished as to be housebound...but demand being what it is all volunteers would be warmly welcomed.

Indeed...and that would appear to be the grand total of some folk's desires........

'WA's fine, the sun shines most of the time, and the feeling is laid back. palm trees grow, rent's are low??????, but I think about making my way back.'

'WA's fine but it ain't home, Pommie land's home, but it ain't mine.'

Not especially for Poms sadly, I say that as some of our WA Poms are too poor to afford the bus fare to where the soup kitchens are located. Some concerned folk are attempting a house to house service to assist those so malnourished as to be housebound...but demand being what it is all volunteers would be warmly welcomed.

Come to think of it, I have been hearing a lot of Pommie accents at the soup kitchens around me in Sydney.

Hi to everyone. Just read all 15 pages on this subject and I have to say I am shocked. I cannot understand how someone on $220,000 is struggling to pay the bills and feed a family of five. At the moment me, OH and three kids are surviving on less than half of that salary and we are managing OK. Definitely do not go to bed feeling hungry. This week we have eaten out once and had good homemade dinners every night and had a couple bottles of wine over the weekend. We are paying $600 approximately in rent at the moment. Just wondered apart from the usual bills etc is there something else that you are spending your wages on like childcare etc

Have you not seen the current prices for Moet & Chandon. They have been reduced to buying 'Home Brand' caviar too.

We came here for my job which hasn't really worked out and I want to leave after just 4 weeks.

So rather than look for another role in Perth I am seriously considering reverting to the original plan which was to go to Sydney.

In Perth I am paying $650 a week for a quite run down house in a really good suburb about 30 from the city. Food prices are mental, 5 of us one is a baby and breast fed thank god, still spending $700 a week on food and if I am honest DH and I go to bed hungry at times because we've just run out.

DH earns $140,000 and could work in Sydney or Perth, I earn about $80,000, might be able to command a bit more and a car in my next role - didn't know that when applying from the UK.

Any thoughts/info would be gratefully received.

I have just had a quick flick through the thread, lots of comments on that and I would agree that $700 on food in a week seems extraordinary, but will leave it at that as it has all been said I am sure.

So to your question of is Sydney cheaper, I have no idea about cost of food but the big expense is housing and that will be more expensive in Sydney. A house in a good suburb 30 minutes from the city would be very hard to find for $650 a week. Take a look on domain for rental and sale values, you should easily see the difference.

We’re planning on moving from Essex to Sydney in Oct and am really only waiting for house to be rented out here and to find a job but as I already have analysed and prepared mentally as much as possible for the change, I’m really struggling to keep upbeat at this present time when so many of the talk appears to come across as this is the worst time in recent times to emigrate.

I’m heartened by the replies of how people on lesser incomes manage and equally depressed by the tales of high rent\poor accommodation, food prices, poor exchange rates etc.

Sorry, guess I’m just getting nervous about the whole thing come here looking for a little reassurance but I can tell you, from my perspective in the UK with the move a few months away, it’s a terrifying time but thank you everyone for your honest tales.