Is Sydney any cheaper than Perth ?

PomPrincesses

Someone suggested I read this because it is such an incredible original post and I didn't believe them. I only got to page 8. How can anyone pay that much for food unless they buy from Harrods in London? Kids don't like the cerials here! Well tough, they need them so give them a choice of vitabrits or porridge - the two healthiest breakfast cerials there are anywhere in the world. Baked beans is good but that should be with some mashed potatoes and sausages for dinner. Make sure they eat one piece of fruit a day, vegetables, small amount of meat and wholegrain wholemeal bread. Tip Top does it and nearly always on offer in IGA (this week) or Coles or Woolworths at 2 for $6. I hated vegimite when I arrived - wanted my Marmite and now I'm the other way around. Time you taught your kids to try and be more adaptable! Only buy specials at IGA, find the weekend markets when your OH is available to help with kids, involve the kids with prices when buying. Make a game of it if necessary - tell them to come up with dinners to buy for under a certain amount. Feed them heaps of fresh vegetables at night and cut out the steak. Roast a big chicken and only use half, use more in stir fry next night and then mix all the rest of bits with stuffing mix, onion and potato and makde into rissoles and fry. Be adventurous and try kangaroo steak as it's better for you and cheaper. And stop giving them snacks and crap for lunch boxes! Most mueseli bars are full of sugar. Ever thought of giving them some hard boiled eggs or eggs/mayonaisse sandwiches or cheese and pickle sandwiches along with some carrot sticks and a banana, apple or pear? Are you looking out for websites with cheap meals on them. Make it your quest to reduce your food bills and stop being so damn selfish in accepting neighbours offers of meals without reciprocating. Most people manage to survive very healthily on half your income. And I simply do not believe that your neighbour is spending that much on food either - a lot of one-upmanship going on there.

tbh on the kind of money they are on, even with a family of 5, I still can't see why they would have to be this careful.

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest The Pom Queen
How do you get the shopping back from the supermarket when it's 45..... ? Be funny to see .. And don't forge we've been told to shop around to keep prices down, I'm sure it's a couple of km walk to the markets from a bus stop...
Oh and just to add my mother is 65 years old and has managed without a car, she shops monthly and gets a taxi back she then walks up 4 flights of stairs to her apartment, so yes it is possible, it's just that people with cars tend to forget how to use public transport, I must admit I would struggle to do what she does.

Going back to the family I mentioned they live a 10 minute walk from the shopping centre and with the kids they help carry the shopping home, so yes it CAN be done if you have to

How do you get the shopping back from the supermarket when it's 45..... ? Be funny to see .. And don't forge we've been told to shop around to keep prices down, I'm sure it's a couple of km walk to the markets from a bus stop...

How many times a year does it get to 45 mate?? Very rarely if ever. Even then you could still get on an airconditioned bus and get home just as easily as getting into a hot car.

Our family is double the size of yours do you not get that ? You aren't living on $67,000 you have a part time job so unless they are paying you in magic beans you need to factor that in

Whether you are or not, your posts make you come across to me, and I suspect other posters, as a very spoilt and pampered lady.

5 people is not the double of 3 people and I think you have already stated one of yours is not 'eating at the table'.

Even if Lisa was earning the same as her OH, which would be miraculous, that would make your income almost twice that of theirs, I thought that was what she was saying in her post. The mathematics alone just doesn't add up in this thread.

It appears that you want sympathy for your plight, yet point blank refuse to acknowledge that there are ways you can fix this. It is really hard to be sympathetic when your plight comes across as wanting a champagne lifestyle, with IMHO champagne earnings but finding you are not getting it. That to me is like me crying that I haven't won the lottery instead of being an adult and getting on with what is important.

I really do hope things get better for you. I just think that you will need to do something different for that to happen.

"If you keep doing what you always do,

you keep getting what you always get."

I'm not in the slightest bit interested in sympathy. My MIL and daughter have arrived since this thread started so that's three adults three kids and a baby in nappies.

What I actually wanted was information and ended up having to justify our position instead which is probably where I went wrong.

Guest The Pom Queen
I'm not in the slightest bit interested in sympathy. My MIL and daughter have arrived since this thread started so that's three adults three kids and a baby in nappies.

What I actually wanted was information and ended up having to justify our position instead which is probably where I went wrong.

Well we have a PIO member staying with us at the moment so that's 6 adults and 2 children and we manage on a lot less than a quarter of what you earn, anyway like you say they are your views, but it is hard for members to accept you are pleading poverty on a wage of $220k per year and your posts makes new members think they need to be earning double what you are on to survive and live comfortably which is outrageous hence the feedback you have received.

Good luck with whatever you do next and I wish you well for the future

I lived in Adelaide for 6 years without a car. It's doable - even in 40+ heat. And it's much easier now with online supermarket shopping.

We went years in Perth without one as well. But bad going for one of the most car dependent cities in the world. Loath cars and we really only got one as work demanded it. Did notice though done less walking once had one.

For trips away used to hire a car.....actually turned out good value in the day, which would have been ten years back......

We came here for my job which hasn't really worked out and I want to leave after just 4 weeks.

So rather than look for another role in Perth I am seriously considering reverting to the original plan which was to go to Sydney.

In Perth I am paying $650 a week for a quite run down house in a really good suburb about 30 from the city. Food prices are mental, 5 of us one is a baby and breast fed thank god, still spending $700 a week on food and if I am honest DH and I go to bed hungry at times because we've just run out.

DH earns $140,000 and could work in Sydney or Perth, I earn about $80,000, might be able to command a bit more and a car in my next role - didn't know that when applying from the UK.

Any thoughts/info would be gratefully received.

Hells bells and buckets of blood and stomach pills!!!:arghh:

Mum and I are on a combined pension of $26,000, (been retired 13 years); we budget and pay on average $120 a week on groceries AND live well. People know that Mackay, Qld is an exxy town, but we do it and are as happy as pigs in the trough!:yes:

Cheers, Bobj.

My visitors always offer to contribute - we had my hubbys brother wife and 17 and 13 year old visit so I can imagine your plight - we had the equivelent of 8 adult mouths to feed, plus all the extra on air con and water.

Being able to reciprocate a meal for friends who have entertained you is easy to do on a budget, I do understand your feelings, as I said my hubby struggles with the concept of not providing for his guests but is managing to get round to the idea because it is the "aussie way" and people we are friends with don't expect us to do that ... and I would feel awfully uncomfortable if I kept taking hospitality and not returning it .. so this way is great. Our friends are having a curry night at weekend (again another cheap option), couple of families providing curries and others supplying sides.

You obviously spend what you spend, but for those of us earning less and having to cater for children we eat adult portions but who nonetheless seem to eat very well - it's hard to reconcile with you saying you go to bed hungry. I work full time as does my hubby so we tend to do our shopping mostly at the supermarket as my weekend family time is very precious and I don't want to spend it all shopping.

Mum and I are on a combined pension of $26,000, (been retired 13 years);

Cheers, Bobj.

Ah...another one of the dreadlocked, dope smoking, tree hugging brigade.:wink: Welcome!

Someone said on PIO recently that only the above could live on $25,000 in Oz. :rolleyes:

Guest The Pom Queen
Ah...another one of the dreadlocked, dope smoking, tree hugging brigade.:wink: Welcome!

Someone said on PIO recently that only the above could live on $25,000 in Oz. :rolleyes:

Ahh but Bob fishes and like a friend said to me recently do you know how many people 5 loaves and 2 fish can feed :wink:

And I would tell 'em, "BOLLOCKS" but I can't spell the word...:laugh:

Cheers, Bobj.

We are a family of four managing on a salary of $65k in Sydney. OH works, I work for myself but don't take a salary yet (newish business), and until we became pr in April, we had school fees to pay. We manage to pay a (smallish) mortgage, pay for swimming lessons etc, don't go without anything that we want, never go hungry, we drink, we have the odd takeaway, have two cars, but not things like foxtel which we see as luxuries.

Guest JK2510

OMG...I have missed a lot today I can't believe this thread is still going.....there are sooo many of us that can't understand how you would be struggling on $220k per yr!! It is complete c@&p that you can't feed a family on that amount.....there are many people that have no money,no where to live and quite often go without....think yourself bloody lucky you can do that...

There are many of us that survive and manage on less even in the more expensive cities.

I'm well aware we were lucky enough to make the most of the opportunities our education lead us to. I've lived in tents in Africa and the experience was very humbling.

Diesnt change my disappointment at the cost of living in Australia though relative to wages.

Fair point. The cost of living is an important factor for folk to consider if it is worth the effort. No amount of sunshine or 3.7% unemployment is going to turn that fact around.

I have a feeling Australia may be a good deal for those struggling a little in UK ....and not as good for those that had rather more comfortable circumstances as a very general rule.

Fair point. The cost of living is an important factor for folk to consider if it is worth the effort. No amount of sunshine or 3.7% unemployment is going to turn that fact around.

I have a feeling Australia may be a good deal for those struggling a little in UK ....and not as good for those that had rather more comfortable circumstances as a very general rule.

Precisely

I have no idea how you manage to spend $700 a week on food. Even if you eat beef twice a week, chicken twice a week and fish once a week then eat out I'd still battle to see how you can spend so much.

Do you maybe have a shopping list you can show?

I'm not going to get drawn in to the discussion that's going on as to whether you're good or bad at managing your income/ budget.

What I don't understand is why you sound so surprised by the prices in Oz - didn't you do ANY research before you left the UK? We've looked at potential rental prices, done a pseudo online shop at Coles, looked at the travel websites to get an idea of prices, looked at car sales websites, checked out average utitliy bills, prices for internet/ phone etc so we know what to expect. You sound like you are intelligent people so I do find it hard to understand what appears to be your lack of pre-planning/ information gathering.

I wish you well with your life Down Under and hope that you give yourselves time to settle in to your new life - one month is not very long when you consider the total change that you have made to your lives.

We live on the coast in northern NSW and on average we pay around $100 a week for food (cleaning stuff, toilet paper etc included) for the two of us. We buy organic dairy only and free range eggs from locals ($6 a box), and we never buy food of suspicious quality (at least we're not aware of it). All the cereals, tea, organic chocolate and so on we buy in organic stores, but still we still hardly spend more than $150 a week.

We never buy fruits and veggies in Coles or Woolies, cause they're just too expensive compared to local prices; just one example: bananas in Coles cost $3.40 per kg, locally $1-2 per kg. We usually buy fruits and veggies directly from growers (fruit stalls with money boxes).

Another example: one avocado in Coles costs at least $1.29, at the fruit stall you get 8 avocados for $2, 5 avocados for $2, etc... The biggest avocados cost 50 cents each... By not buying our fruit and veggies at Coles or Woolies, we save at least $20-30 per week! What we can't find at fruit stalls we buy at fruit stores...

Another example: sweet potato in Coles cost almost $2 per kg, at fruit and veggie store 39 cents per kg. Now isn't that a huge difference?

We needed exactly one month to get an idea how thing work around here, where to buy things...

Another thing: olive oil, rice bran oil and similar stuff... Have you realised these oils cost much much less when bought in tin cans (3 litres)? For example Cobram Estate Extra Virgin Olive Oil costs in Woolworths $19.99 for three litres... Why buying one litre bottle if this is so much cheaper?

In my opinion what cost the most and what people spend the most of their money for are snacks (potato chips, cookies...), drinks like juice, Coca-Cola, and "healthy" and other cereals... If you eat a lot of processed food, than be prepare to pay a lot for it; after all a bag of "better" chips (Red Rock Deli) costs $3.99...

In Europe the prices for fruits and veggies are usually the cheapest in big stores (like Coles and Woolworths), but this is not the case here in Australia...

Guest guest17301

I think if you've been used to doing your entire weekly shop at M&S and you're used to buying the kind of top end pre prepared stuff they sell then you come here and shop in the same way you will get a big shock...I suppose you have to adapt...after all that's what emigrating is all about and the most basic advice repeated on here often is dont expect it to be like England...its a completely different country.You can't compare the two countries because Australian shops that do offer that kind style of shopping offer an exclusive price tag to match! Nice for a treat though, has anyone been to Herdsman in Wembley...just like M&S