Is Sydney any cheaper than Perth ?

PomPrincesses

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Monty Python wasn't it? "When I was a boy we had to...."

That's right! 'When I was a young bloke (in Perth), there were fifteen of us living in a corrugated iron humpie, under the shade of the coolibah tree, on the banks of the billagong. We lived on one spoonful of Vegemite a week each. Sometimes, on Sundays, as a treat, Alan Bond would give us a can of Swan lager.'

A nanny will be cheaper than current arrangement plus 20% pay rise with new job secured today. Thank goodness :biggrin:

I would imagine that a qualified nanny will command a qualified rate of pay though and if they're live in it will be an extra mouth to feed. The minimum wage is $15.96 per hour and $606.40 per week, but it will be more than that I'm sure for a nanny to care for more than one child.

I would imagine that a qualified nanny will command a qualified rate of pay though and if they're live in it will be an extra mouth to feed. The minimum wage is $15.96 per hour and $606.40 per week, but it will be more than that I'm sure for a nanny to care for more than one child.

$80,000 + 20% = $96,000

After tax $71,000 or an extra $10,000 per year = $192 per week

Cost of a nanny, (using your figures) $606 per week

So will be $414 down employing a minimum wage nanny based on the the figures already provided

Won't even be able to afford an onion for a late night snack :laugh:

$80,000 + 20% = $96,000

After tax $71,000 or an extra $10,000 per year = $192 per week

Cost of a nanny, (using your figures) $606 per week

So will be $414 down employing a minimum wage nanny based on the the figures already provided

Won't even be able to afford an onion for a late night snack :laugh:

I got the figures from the fair work ombudsman site http://www.fairwork.gov.au/pay/national-minimum-wage/pages/default.aspx

20th July

All I can compare is our circumstances and my husband was job hunting for 3.5 years in the UK and has a role in Perth within 3 weeks working a very normal 9-5 for 85,000 so that will do for now.

12th August

DH earns $140,000 and could work in Sydney or Perth, I earn about $80,000.

27th August

A nanny will be cheaper than current arrangement plus 20% pay rise with new job secured today.

Not done bad in just over 4 weeks

Added $16,000 on to your wages & $55,000 on to your husbands wages

Don't know how you even afforded a pot to **** in before your payrises..........you couldn't even afford to eat last week! :skeptical:

Hence why we got ourselves new jobs there was no way we could sustain the family on the wages we were offered in Perth from the UK. Thank goodness there's bonus' too because the basic salaries just cover the cost of living.

We had an issue and it needed to be resolved either moving somewhere cheaper or earning more, I didn't mind which happened but something had to we couldn't have carried on like that.

Edited by PomPrincesses

Guest The Pom Queen
Hence why we got ourselves new jobs there was no way we could sustain the family on the wages we were offered in Perth from the UK. Thank goodness there's bonus' too because the basic salaries just cover the cost of living.

We had an issue and it needed to be resolved either moving somewhere cheaper or earning more, I didn't mind which happened but something had to we couldn't have carried on like that.

So now you have a joint wage higher than $220k pa. You are one lucky lady, at least now you can repay all your friends whose BBQ's you went to and didn't take a plate or invite them back.