Is Sydney any cheaper than Perth ?

PomPrincesses

Hallo everyone

I am still following this thread with a kind of awed fascination that it is still going! PP is clearly a wind up merchant. If you look back over her posts, every single time a solution has been offered it has been met with yet another tale of woe involving hand woven nappies or something. I am breaking my internet habit of always trying to be positive and kind .... to say this has got to be all garbage. Tomato ketchup? It is so bad its funny - I ate better than that on a grant at Uni and we really did eat rubbish then I promise.

So - a wind up merchant. I am convinced of it. Either that or this is some sort of Ph D Psychologist researching the extent of people's gullibility during online chat. I am absolutely NOT going to write another thing and well done PP for keeping the joke going for so long. I may be tempted to take a little peek if the thread carries on though .....

PS If I thought it was of interest to anyone I would mention that my daughter is part of a car club in Sydney that enables her to use a small car whenever she needs one and avoid heavy annual insurance etc. charges. Cars are parked locally, she has an access card and pays a monthly sum much lower than car owning costs. I don't know if its just Sydney, think its called something like GetCar or Gocar. Compromise solution?

Happy whingeing everyone :-)

'There were fifteen of us, living in septic tank in Australia. Eeh it were grand?'

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my opinion only .....aside from the weather and the economy the Scenery is magnificent, wildlife, sealife, beaches with clean clear water.

Compared to where we were in the uk the High schools seem better, the youth seem a lot more polite and focused. This could just be due to the area we came from and where we have ended up.

The parks for the kids are fantastic, kids are welcome at places and are catered for with play apparatus, they are even happy to go to bunnings as they get to play.

The people seem friendlier.

We have only been here 4 months but these are my perceptions so far. I'm sure they differ for everyone!

Nice post. Glad you’re happy so far. As mentioned before, we’re supposed to be heading out in approx. two months once the house is rented and a position acquired as much as can be from the UK. Constantly doing research but always find myself back looking for real life experiences here and other forums which can be the worst thing to do sometimes. Hooked up on this thread from the off and if I hadn’t hardened myself already for the cost of living hike then I’d be even more worried than I am. Am living, by the average standard, a comfortable yet unfulfilling life. Maybe Oz is for us, maybe it isn’t but there’s only one way to find out and if we don’t go now then I know we’ll never know and would always have that hanging over us.

Back on topic as much as possible with this thread, I’ve always wondered but never asked on my visits why there isn’t more competition down under for the grocery market. One of the biggest reasons for low food prices in the UK is the fierce competition between the big four. I can only assume Tesco, et al, haven’t steamed in with all guns blazing, igniting a price war, is the population numbers and logistics. Anyway, am ready for the savings to be depleted for the initial period of settling in so hopefully I can concentrate on the positives during the same time.

Nice post. Glad you’re happy so far. As mentioned before, we’re supposed to be heading out in approx. two months once the house is rented and a position acquired as much as can be from the UK. Constantly doing research but always find myself back looking for real life experiences here and other forums which can be the worst thing to do sometimes. Hooked up on this thread from the off and if I hadn’t hardened myself already for the cost of living hike then I’d be even more worried than I am. Am living, by the average standard, a comfortable yet unfulfilling life. Maybe Oz is for us, maybe it isn’t but there’s only one way to find out and if we don’t go now then I know we’ll never know and would always have that hanging over us.

Back on topic as much as possible with this thread, I’ve always wondered but never asked on my visits why there isn’t more competition down under for the grocery market. One of the biggest reasons for low food prices in the UK is the fierce competition between the big four. I can only assume Tesco, et al, haven’t steamed in with all guns blazing, igniting a price war, is the population numbers and logistics. Anyway, am ready for the savings to be depleted for the initial period of settling in so hopefully I can concentrate on the positives during the same time.

I think in Perth's case the expense wouldn't warrent the expenditure. Small population....but more to the point the big two pretty much have it sown up. By that I mean they have location. There is not a lot of land available in established suburbs or at least in the right locations to facilitate such a move.

The big boy's have economic cloud and influence to frustrate interlopers wanting to break into the party.

Guest guest30085

Ive read this thread with great interest as I will probably be looking at moving to Perth in the future . . . .

And Im kind of amazed that this thread has carried on as long as it has (but hey this is PIO, I shouldnt be that shocked)

And whilst these kinds of thread shouldnt become a witch hunt, as we know everybody's perceptions of events, places are different, Im just a little bit confused on the OP's actual circumstances. . . . .

Originally you were going to Sydney on a 457, then you mention getting a house just outside Melbourne CBD, then you are off to Perth.

You say you husband has been mostly out of work since 2009 but on another thread he was working as a Sales Manager earning £55,000 in the UK.

Then on another thread the same week/month you point out only you were earning (£40,000 plus minimal tax credits and OH was out of work) and yet your children were still privately educated.

Then the ages of your children have changed from 11, 9, 8 and 2 to another thread where you are asking about taking over two prams on the plane as you have a 4 yo and a 2 yo?

So, Im not confused about you cant manage on $220,000 per annum - as thats your perception of living costs in Perth if thats where you really are, but I really cant get my head around your change of circumstances since you joined PIO in April??? :confused:

And before Im boiled alive or called unkind - Im only going off the OP's posts :wubclub:

Edited by guest30085

Hence perfectly understandable when folk say they're coming out for a better future for their kids......long term planning folks, your not wrong...

So what is a better future for your kids then, explain... If your kids are 4 and 5 for example how can you tell when there 18 the future will be better here, a 14 year gamble

but I really cant get my head around your change of circumstances since you joined PIO in April??? :confused:

And before Im boiled alive or called unkind - Im only going off the OP's posts :wubclub:

I'm glad I'm not the only one confused.

I read in yesterday's comments that PP had decided (a) to return to the UK almost immediately

(b) to return for the eldest to start A levels.

Whatever the actual age of the children that has to be some years yet.

Guest guest30085
I'm glad I'm not the only one confused.

I read in yesterday's comments that PP had decided (a) to return to the UK almost immediately

(b) to return for the eldest to start A levels.

Whatever the actual age of the children that has to be some years yet.

Parallel Universe?? :wink:

Back on topic as much as possible with this thread, I’ve always wondered but never asked on my visits why there isn’t more competition down under for the grocery market. One of the biggest reasons for low food prices in the UK is the fierce competition between the big four.

Not only is the population one third of the UK (not to mention the millions close by) but it is spread over an area equivalent to Morocco to Norway and London to Moscow. So the logistics are completely different.

Also, Australian farmers are not subsidised in the way that UK and EU farmers are.

If the true cost of production was passed on to consumers, food prices in the UK would rise significantly.

Guest guest30085

I agree, nothing adds up.

The OP cant remember the ages of their children, what city in Australia they have moved to, whether the OH is employed or even exists, whther the Mother in Law is with them or not as a baby sitter - yet there is no mention of childcare fees which would make their claim of struggling slightly more believable.

If only they realised they can look back through all of their posts . . . . they may have remembered the ages of their children and may have had a much more compelling argument. . . . .

If you are going to bullsh7te . . . . at least remember the basics! :laugh:

Edited by guest30085

It's a blag, there's no way this is real

Other people gave her recipes and tips and she ripped into them

I pulled her figures to bits and she said nothing, just carried on as if I hadn't posted

Same here she hasn't replied to three of my questions

We came here for my job which hasn't really worked out and I want to leave after just 4 weeks.

So rather than look for another role in Perth I am seriously considering reverting to the original plan which was to go to Sydney.

In Perth I am paying $650 a week for a quite run down house in a really good suburb about 30 from the city. Food prices are mental, 5 of us one is a baby and breast fed thank god, still spending $700 a week on food and if I am honest DH and I go to bed hungry at times because we've just run out.

DH earns $140,000 and could work in Sydney or Perth, I earn about $80,000, might be able to command a bit more and a car in my next role - didn't know that when applying from the UK.

Any thoughts/info would be gratefully received.

stay in liverpool :biggrin: