Australia: From lucky country to land of rip-offs

ozziepom

• Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes but at the end of the day they can write what they want, it's us who pays for things and know whether we can get it cheaper elsewhere.

I understand that Kate. The point I'm making is that irrespective of rising costs, salaries have risen at a substantially higher rate for the last 10 yrs IOW, your outgoings on household expenditure are becoming a lesser percentage of your salary the more time goes on.

Guest Sir Les Patterson
So there is nothing at all in Oz that you hate? (apart from the poms

Actually yes, most of all I dislike the bureaucracy, Telstra and the bogans who seem to be breeding at an alarming rate . I have visited for short and extended periods more countries than I care to remember over my career both in the military and civilian aspects but when I come back home I know this country is the best I have ever come across. She has been good to me and in my service to her I think in my own small way I have been good to her/

As for hating Poms( my partner used to be one)..... NO WAY........ it's just the whinging and the stupid ones I can't cop.

Hellmans mayo only seems to stock 2 weeks either side of Chrizzy but it hasn't put in an appearance yet :cry:

Our local Woolies stocks Hellmans mayo as a standard item all round year. Might be worth trying your Woolworths supermarket.

Well, how can I argue. You clearly know better than I about the cost of living here in Australia. After speaking to family they assure me that my outgoings here in Perth are far higher than theirs. But hey what do I know.

Well you should know since the figures for the modest increases in Utilities (doubled in 6 years equivalent to a 12% pa increase) and Food (gone from $200 to $300 in 6 years equivalent to a 7% pa increase) are those you provided. Yes I expressed a doubt that the increases were really that low (I'm not in Australia so I wouldn't know myself) but if the increases in these items have been no more than anywhere else in the world how does that make Australia a rip off?

There have been plenty of other posts on here that give good reason to suggest that Australia is a rip off, but the increases in utility and food prices you've quoted don't. [Remember that while these increases are higher than headline inflation figures that's because the headline figures are skewed downwards by the reduction in prices of Plasma TVs and other non-essentials - again a problem that applies to all countries and not something that makes Australia a peculiar rip-off]

Guest The Ropey HOFF

I love it when the moaners or as Sir Les eloquently puts it, Whinging poms' start with the personal stuff, its a sign they have lost the argument, not that i'm arguing with anyone, i'm just pointing out that its not just in Australia where the prices have sky rocketed, its everywhere, theres rioting all over the middle east and in europe and .......... oh i forgot the uk. Caused mainly by social deprivation and the poor have nots fighting back against the rich who cream off all the profits. I haven't seen any riots or unrest in Australia, but then again the uk has had a one million increase in unemployment where in Australia unemployment is incredibly low. Just face it, Australia is fairing alot better than the uk at present, its a fact and someone saying i don't live there so i don't know the truth, but then go on to say they know the truth about the uk when they live in Australia, splits my sides, cheers for the laughs, i love the moaners, they brighten up my day, they make me realise just how lucky i am ............... not being them. lol

:biglaugh::laugh:

Guest guest59177
I love it when the moaners or as Sir Les eloquently puts it, Whinhging poms' start with the personal stuff, its a sign they have lost the argument, not that i'm arguing with anyone, i'm just pointing out that its not just in Australia where the prices have sky rocketed, its everywhere, theres rioting all over the middle east and in europe and .......... oh i forgot the uk. Caused mainly by social deprivation and the poor have nots fighting back against the rich who cream off all the profits. I haven't seen any riots or unrest in Australia, but then again the uk has had a one million increase in unemployment where in Australia unemplotment is incredibly low. Just face it, Australia is fairing alot better than the uk at present, its a fact and someone saying i don't live here so i don't know the truth, but then go on to say they know the truth about the uk when they live in Australia, splits my sides, cheers for the laughs, i love the moaners, they brighten up my day, they make me realise just how lucky i am ............... not being them. lol

The riots you saw in Britain were a 'preemptive' step by the masses. They saw some of their 'benefits' going and knew more was on the line so they rioted in the hopes that things won't go further down hill... or maybe just to whinge a little? :wink: NOTE: I am NOT saying whether Britain or Australia is expensive. I am silent on that point since I don't have any actual numbers to compare.

Oh and one more thing. There is a difference between faring better and being expensive. Even the rich can complain about increasing prices!!!

I love it when the moaners or as Sir Les eloquently puts it, Whinging poms' start with the personal stuff, its a sign they have lost the argument, not that i'm arguing with anyone, i'm just pointing out that its not just in Australia where the prices have sky rocketed, its everywhere, theres rioting all over the middle east and in europe and .......... oh i forgot the uk. Caused mainly by social deprivation and the poor have nots fighting back against the rich who cream off all the profits. I haven't seen any riots or unrest in Australia, but then again the uk has had a one million increase in unemployment where in Australia unemployment is incredibly low. Just face it, Australia is fairing alot better than the uk at present, its a fact and someone saying i don't live there so i don't know the truth, but then go on to say they know the truth about the uk when they live in Australia, splits my sides, cheers for the laughs, i love the moaners, they brighten up my day, they make me realise just how lucky i am ............... not being them. lol

Lets just hope ,the worldwide downturn doesnt hit Australia .

There is an element of self congratulation from some australians i have met .

Its as if this global situation will not affect them ......

Just a word of caution , if the brown stuff hits the fan ,then those with sky high mortgages ,the big house and the swimming pool will have a bit more to worry about .

The oz government wont suddenly drop the prices of foodstuffs etc because there is a downturn .

The riots you saw in Britain were a 'preemptive' step by the masses. They saw some of their 'benefits' going and knew more was on the line so they rioted in the hopes that things won't go further down hill...

You really credit that ameoba brained mob with the intelligence to think things through?

I love it when the moaners or as Sir Les eloquently puts it, Whinging poms' start with the personal stuff, its a sign they have lost the argument, not that i'm arguing with anyone, i'm just pointing out that its not just in Australia where the prices have sky rocketed, its everywhere, theres rioting all over the middle east and in europe and .......... oh i forgot the uk. Caused mainly by social deprivation and the poor have nots fighting back against the rich who cream off all the profits. I haven't seen any riots or unrest in Australia, but then again the uk has had a one million increase in unemployment where in Australia unemployment is incredibly low. Just face it, Australia is fairing alot better than the uk at present, its a fact and someone saying i don't live there so i don't know the truth, but then go on to say they know the truth about the uk when they live in Australia, splits my sides, cheers for the laughs, i love the moaners, they brighten up my day, they make me realise just how lucky i am ............... not being them. lol:biglaugh::laugh:

What a wasted post Hoffy.................dontcha know Oz is not immune and we'll be laughing on the other sides of our @rses if China goes belly up. It's been repeated time and time again over the last 3 yrs and I'm still waiting. Like China is the only growth nation in the region and Oz won't have anywhere else to sell it's products? :rolleyes: I suppose a little bit of pessimsm where Oz is concerned doesn't go astray though..............just to let us know that we ain't as well positioned as we think we are.

Guest The Pom Queen

For goodness sake will you all stop it, this isn't an Oz v UK thread, it's a post by locals (the ones who live here) saying how some things are more expensive, they haven't knocked Oz and said the UK is better etc in fact most of the posters (including the OP) have said they love Oz.

Guest The Pom Queen
I love it when the moaners or as Sir Les eloquently puts it, Whinging poms's

, i love the moaners, they brighten up my day, they make me realise just how lucky i am ............... not being them. lol

But Jim can't you see that you are a whinging Pom as well, you moan about the UK all the time:wink:

Guest guest17301

Im a whinging world citizen:dull: Nothing wrong with whinging, lowers the stress levels though can become counterproductive if repeated too often

Guest guest59177
You really credit that ameoba brained mob with the intelligence to think things through?

Sorry, reflex actions can sometimes pass as intelligent... though there IS a lot of intelligence behind the whole process of reflex actions...

Guest The Ropey HOFF
But Jim can't you see that you are a whinging Pom as well, you moan about the UK all the time:wink:

Theres alot to moan about in the uk at present kate, i definately won't go to Australia and come on here and moan and groan about it, i have respect for all those who are trying their hardest to make a better life for themselves in Australia. If stating facts about the uk equals being a whinger then i admit it i'm a whinging pom, but you have to admit, i've livened up the site a bit ............... it was becoming boring. :laugh:

I suspect you get very angry Hoff, just my opinion like.

Woolies in Mackay, green king prawns $12/kilo yesterday. Now have 2 kilos for $ 24.55 for Chrissy Day.

I pick out any small, or broken ones and use them for fishing bait...IF this 25 knot SE trade wind slows a bit.

Cheers, Bobj.

Actually yes, most of all I dislike the bureaucracy, Telstra and the bogans who seem to be breeding at an alarming rate . I have visited for short and extended periods more countries than I care to remember over my career both in the military and civilian aspects but when I come back home I know this country is the best I have ever come across. She has been good to me and in my service to her I think in my own small way I have been good to her/

As for hating Poms( my partner used to be one)..... NO WAY........ it's just the whinging and the stupid ones I can't cop.

Same here,i cant stick the aussies who constantly whinge about whinging poms,ironic eh,funny old world isnt it?!

For goodness sake will you all stop it, this isn't an Oz v UK thread, it's a post by locals (the ones who live here) saying how some things are more expensive, they haven't knocked Oz and said the UK is better etc in fact most of the posters (including the OP) have said they love Oz.

No that's not what the title of the thread says. It is a discussion of whether or not Australia is a rip-off. That requires rather more than saying things are more expensive than they used to be in Australia (that would merely be a discussion of australian price inflation) and does require comparison to other countries to determine whether or not the inflation experienced in Australia is normal or a rip-off.

Archived