Australia: From lucky country to land of rip-offs

ozziepom

No that's not what the title of the thread says. It is a discussion of whether or not Australia is a rip-off. That requires rather more than saying things are more expensive than they used to be in Australia (that would merely be a discussion of australian price inflation) and does require comparison to other countries to determine whether or not the inflation experienced in Australia is normal or a rip-off.

Too many parametes though. For example, a price given for an item in the UK which seems reasonable may have large economies of scale as the main reason for it's price. The same item in Oz at a higher price may appear to be a rip off, but that higher price may be attributable to a lesser economy of scale. Unless one is fully conversant with all the factors influencing the price of an item, then one can never be sure that one is being "ripped off"

• Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is that a "ripped off", or a "pi**ed off,", Pabs??:wink:

Cheers, Bobj.

:laugh:Dyer know what mate,love the craic/banter me,8 hours a day were slating each other in work,so pommie bas7ard etc etc is water off a ducks,yer just give it back times 10 dont yer,IF its just banter..

When some use whinging pom etc yer can sort of tell its banter,non malicious,and i DO know the written word can be misconstrued on its own,BUT sometimes yer just get an inkling its more than banter with some people,just wish some people could get a different tune out of their trumpet sometimes,if yer know what i mean Bob:wink:,gets a bit like written chloroform after a while...

I drank with aussies for months in London,they had a little moan themselves,warm beer etc,but i didnt tag them as whingers,its like say something long enuf and loud enuf and its fact,were all more or less the same people to my mind,as ive said in defense of aussies when they are run down by people

So no pi77ed off isnt exactly what im feeling,more tranquilized,wearied,and wayworn:SLEEP::rolleyes::laugh:

No that's not what the title of the thread says. It is a discussion of whether or not Australia is a rip-off. That requires rather more than saying things are more expensive than they used to be in Australia (that would merely be a discussion of australian price inflation) and does require comparison to other countries to determine whether or not the inflation experienced in Australia is normal or a rip-off.

Bought an Alocasia Amazonica at Woolies yesterday for $8.95

In the UK, it is advertised for £18.50...Ya got ripped off, UK.:wink:

http://www.houseofplants.co.uk/alocasia_amazonica_polly.htm

Cheers, Bobj.

enough with the UK vs Oz stuff Bobj!

:policeman::SLEEP::emoticon_doctor_sna:angel_happy_face_ha

But it's ok to knock Australia, hey? Or, is it wrong to compare, as Ken mentioned.

"

quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Ken viewpost-right.png

No that's not what the title of the thread says. It is a discussion of whether or not Australia is a rip-off. That requires rather more than saying things are more expensive than they used to be in Australia (that would merely be a discussion of australian price inflation) and does require comparison to other countries to determine whether or not the inflation experienced in Australia is normal or a rip-off."

Cheers, Bobj.

Australia is expensive if compared to a lot of countries and not just UK.It has been some years now since I have encountered stating otherwise. But prior to several years ago value could be had in many areas. A friend of mine from Germany made eleven visits to Australia over a sixteen year period but last year brought his departure date forward as couldn't believe the increase in price after a three year break from Oz and now goes to Gran Canaria(Canary Islands) which is far cheaper and more going on. As I he finds Germany so much better value as well.

I had to buy a new oven lamp today...opportunity for a right royal rip-off I thought...something to report to PIO I thought...blooming heck, only cost $3.50 from Bunnings. Had to put the whinge powder back in the medicine cabinet.:laugh:

What a rip off! You could have got 87.5% of a lemon for that!

Love it, Pabs...Now, I ask you, would Aussies whinge about warm pommy beer??? Hmmm?

Cheers, Bobj.

If you ever get a warm pint in the UK you take it back Bob, beer in the UK is served at the correct temperature so you can actually taste the flavors and smell the beautiful hop aroma unlike some beers that are served very cold to mask the bland taste of the lager or beer, if you served these beers without freezing them they would taste awful, bit like most aussie ale:wink:

If you don't like the price of your power you can take your business elsewhere. Not here in WA. Don't like the price, tough titty. That is a rip off, lack of competition is a rip off.

Guest beckiescouse

I have always thought oz was expensive things like clothes and food cost a fortune and I left 3 years ago and I cannot believe in Brisbane its now 8 dollars for a beer it was around 4.80 when I was there and I lived in the centre of Brisbane! what a disgrace! You pay £3.50 round my way for a pint and thats in the city centre. The other day I even bought a stonebaked giant pizza on special for 70p in asda !!!! You wouldn't be able to buy anything in coles for that. And I hear bannanas are £15.00 a bunch now so my dad tells me. Robbery with violence in oz they should wear striped jumpers and a mask lol !!!!I was gonna move back actually to sydney or melbourne this time but this thread has put me off slightly. I know people in perth who have been there 5 years and are coming home because of the price of things over there absolutely shocking. High price to pay for being away from your family and to have sun that you can't even go outside in because its too hot.

I have always thought oz was expensive things like clothes and food cost a fortune and I left 3 years ago and I cannot believe in Brisbane its now 8 dollars for a beer it was around 4.80 when I was there and I lived in the centre of Brisbane! what a disgrace! You pay £3.50 round my way for a pint and thats in the city centre. The other day I even bought a stonebaked giant pizza on special for 70p in asda !!!! You wouldn't be able to buy anything in coles for that. And I hear bannanas are £15.00 a bunch now so my dad tells me. Robbery with violence in oz they should wear striped jumpers and a mask lol !!!!I was gonna move back actually to sydney or melbourne this time but this thread has put me off slightly. I know people in perth who have been there 5 years and are coming home because of the price of things over there absolutely shocking. High price to pay for being away from your family and to have sun that you can't even go outside in because its too hot.

No offence but I doubt beer has risen on average from $4.80 to $8 in 3 years if that is what you are suggesting. BTW £3.50 is $7.70 so not much different if using the average wage exchange rate. If you are using the normal exchange rate to compare cost of living I would point out that it is an inaccurate way to compare.

Bananas are a poor example as they shot up to $15/Kg because of the massive cyclone that wiped out most of Australia's supply but are now back down to $1/Kg (45p/Kg).

Thing is though....It really is expensive to live here in OZ!Why are we all deluding ourselves otherwise?Almost everythings ridiculously expensive IMO.And you'll get right royally shafted when buying more expensive items,like Cars etc,if you are not very careful!In spite of all this,i am happy here,coz i refuse to pay daft dollar,and will often reluctantly do without(couldn't live with meself if i knew i willingly paid through the nose):huh:Just gerron with it,it's OK here!

Guest guest17301

For about 10 days out of 365 between 10 and 4pm.....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Archived