Australia: From lucky country to land of rip-offs

ozziepom

• Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest The Pom Queen
When i was looking at a few clothing websites to get a idea of prices i nearly had a heartattack when i saw some of the prices of them, so even tho i was joking its still a handy tip! i thought i was going to have to bring a suitcase of them lol

To be honest I find clothes, especially children's clothing and shoes terrible here, they don't last long before they have holes in or fall apart, so I would recommend bringing some over

To be honest I find clothes, especially children's clothing and shoes terrible here, they don't last long before they have holes in or fall apart, so I would recommend bringing some over

i'll have to tell dave that, i dont know if other men are like this but if he was offered a job tomorrow then he'd be on the plane with just a few things, im the complete opposite, id bring lots of things i didnt need lol

Guest The Pom Queen
Clearly the exchange rate doesn't effect you Kate and most others who have lived in Australia for any length of time, but the exchange rate is being used by those who are trying to prove that things are dearer in Australia by using the current exchange rate, so i point out that using their same exchange rate means that the average wage is 35% higher in Australia, which evens it all out. Everyone knows prices have gone up in Australia, but they have as you say also gone up in the uk as well, the only difference i see is that average wage increases year on year are far better in Australia and unemployment is lower there, so at present Australia has more to offer than the uk, on average.

Jim you forget as admin I can read your post before it was edited, yes I love Oz, it's my home, I have no intentions of going back to the UK, BUT, things aren't perfect in Oz, like everywhere it has it's ups and downs, for me the up's far outweigh the downs, but I'm not going to lie and say a place is perfect no matter how much I love it. I'm not comparing it to the UK because I have been out of the UK for too long to judge, I'm just saying how I find it here.

To be honest like Northern Bird has said since we arrived prices have climbed (yes I know they have in the UK as well before you jump on me, but I'm talking about Australia) it isn't the attractive option it was when we first arrived from a money/property point of view. However, the country itself is so much better than the UK.

When i was looking at a few clothing websites to get a idea of prices i nearly had a heartattack when i saw some of the prices of them, so even tho i was joking its still a handy tip! i thought i was going to have to bring a suitcase of them lol

THE STICHING ROTS ,because of the heat and humidity,sweat in not kind to clothing,sorry about the shout the caps lock was stuck.

THE STICHING ROTS ,because of the heat and humidity,sweat in not kind to clothing,sorry about the shout the caps lock was stuck.

your forgiven lol. yeah didnt think of that, i'll probably bring more than enough stuff to last me a while, wouldnt want to spend my first few weeks running around trying to find more clothes!

Surely if loads of people shop online in Australia, importing goods from the UK and the US, then that proves the point that Australia is land of the rip-offs?

On a lighter note, one of our colleagues who has lived and worked here recently started watching Bargain Hunt, and he couldn't believe how cheap the items were both in the markets and at auction. I actually think that prices for second hand items are ridiculous here. We wanted to find a cheap sofa to keep us going until our arrive at the end of Jan, and in garage sales etc they were well over $100 for something I wouldn't even let my dog sleep on! That's just one example but it just makes me wish I had a big van and could go to Ikea....

Jim you forget as admin I can read your post before it was edited, yes I love Oz, it's my home, I have no intentions of going back to the UK, BUT, things aren't perfect in Oz, like everywhere it has it's ups and downs, for me the up's far outweigh the downs, but I'm not going to lie and say a place is perfect no matter how much I love it. I'm not comparing it to the UK because I have been out of the UK for too long to judge, I'm just saying how I find it here.

To be honest like Northern Bird has said since we arrived prices have climbed (yes I know they have in the UK as well before you jump on me, but I'm talking about Australia) it isn't the attractive option it was when we first arrived from a money/property point of view. However, the country itself is so much better than the UK.

I echo your sentiments Kate. I actually like living in Oz and call it 'home'. I just happen to call England home too (I believe it is possible to have more than one). My kids see themselves as part Australian, part English and are proud of it. As things stand, my family and I are much better off living here than in the UK: my work life balance and job satisfaction by far exceed what I had there. We live comfortably, despite being ripped off left, right and centre.

BUT, if I encounter something/someone which is inferior/mediocre/fake masquerading as something it's not, I cannot help but comment (think Ant and Dec, or Hamish and Andy). Earlier on in this thread I alluded to the fact that the seller has the upper hand compared to the buyer. I would go further by saying that in many cases those providing services (eg tradies, kitchen designers, window cleaners, car washers, doctors etc etc) focus more on their entitlement to a comfortable living, rather than charging the customer the real value of the service.

I honestly don't know how other people on low incomes cope. I know of people who cannot afford to see their doctor or get their prescriptions filled cos they've run out of money.

Guest The Pom Queen
I know of people who cannot afford to see their doctor or get their prescriptions filled cos they've run out of money.

Does anyone know what actually happens here if people can't afford a medical bill, do they simply not get their meds/get treated etc?

Surely if loads of people shop online in Australia, importing goods from the UK and the US, then that proves the point that Australia is land of the rip-offs?

On a lighter note, one of our colleagues who has lived and worked here recently started watching Bargain Hunt, and he couldn't believe how cheap the items were both in the markets and at auction. I actually think that prices for second hand items are ridiculous here. We wanted to find a cheap sofa to keep us going until our arrive at the end of Jan, and in garage sales etc they were well over $100 for something I wouldn't even let my dog sleep on! That's just one example but it just makes me wish I had a big van and could go to Ikea....

[ bargain hunt ] those shows are four or five years old

[ bargain hunt ] those shows are four or five years old

Well, just reinforces my point, those prices are pre-recession prices. Since the recession I reckon prices on non-essentials have gone down. Who is going to bother going to antique fairs when they can't pay their heating bill?

got to give the hoff credit for his enthusiasm, h is obsessed to the point of irrational thinking, the unemplyment rate is lower here but a hell of a lot of jobs are just part time,

several people I know applying for jobs are being told they are not successful due to the high number of applicants etc, but put anyway you like oz is bloody expensive, or should I say perth where I live, look at the rate of pay it looks impressive to some, earn then spend dollars its not so good, but hey, near all that actually live here not dream of living here say its more expensive, what do we know, and we all had the same excitement before we came out and would hear of anything negative about oz, it doesnt mean we hate oz its just how it is at the moment, and as i said before, waking up in the cold uk, and feeling the place is a s**tole before even trying to live in another country is perfectly normal. if your'e not careful the excitement of getting here is the main rush, arriving here could be the anti climax,. bought a xmas tree 6ft 29 dollars, bargain!

Guest Sir Les Patterson

Hey, people, this thread is becoming funnier by the minute. Keep shoveling the Whinging Powder down your throats, it makes amusing reading

Guest The Pom Queen
Hey, people, this thread is becoming funnier by the minute. Keep shoveling the Whinging Powder down your throats, it makes amusing reading

So there is nothing at all in Oz that you hate? (apart from the poms :wink: )

Guest guest17301

I think the main reason we dont find it that expensive is because we dont do that much or buy that much....:confused:Technology passes me by........

Archived