Australia: From lucky country to land of rip-offs

ozziepom

Northernbird, on behalf of all of us who have been in the UK for the last 6 years, I can assure you that in that time our utilities have more than doubled and our groceries have gone up by more than 50%. If your's have really only done that then you are doing well.

Well, how can I argue. You clearly know better than I about the cost of living here in Australia. After speaking to family they assure me that my outgoings here in Perth are far higher than theirs. But hey what do I know.

• Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I bet when you came back you got loads for your dollars, just like we got less for our pounds in Australia, using the exchange rate doesn't show the costs of things it distorts the true costs, if you were living in the uk, you would be earning and spending pounds, just the same as living in Australia and spending dollars. Also with the increase in costs, its no different here either, its a pointless debate, you say its dearer there, others who are there don't, i say costs have risen dramatically here in the uk just like in Australia, gas/electric, groceries, petrol, inflation running at 5% wages rises not really increasing, its tough everywhere, but i repeat some would have us believe most are living on the bread line or in poverty in Australia, when it isn't true, i'm not saying things are cheaper in Australia, i admit from our calculations, we thought it was slightly dearer there, i try to be honest, if i was trying to do the uk down, i would say its dearer here, but i think theres little difference, apart from the extortionate payments for mortgages in Australia, but the houses there are massive compared to the uk.

Just a note from our esteemed newish mod. the uk versus Oz debate was mentioned long before i commented on it, these threads always go that way and why shouldn't they if they right the wrong claims that Australia is far dearer than the uk, when clearly it isn't.

I was actually spending pounds that I inherited 2 years ago that I left in the uk due to poor exchange rate. I genuinely wish you all the best and hope when you actually get here and are earning dollars it isn't a massive shock.

I,m still trying to work out if Hoff has actually lived here, is living or wants to live here, but i like the avatars lol

Me I got all the ups and the downs before I came out, and still its a shock to the system when you get here.

those who been here many years, some over 30 have given me invaluable advice, most said if I could dont come over yet, costs are excessive,. when sitting in the uk in a cold winter its easy to ignore some negativities in oz or anywhere, actually moving here is still a shock to the system so its best to heed good and negative advice before you come out, be prepared and not argue the case til you;ve tried it, humble pie is a little bitter. I am sure the cost of living will reverse in time.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

What ever the truth i don't think we will ever know, but Australia is one of only a few countries that never went in to recession, all i know is here in the uk putting an extra million people out of working over recent years, claiming benefits, spending less in the country along with hardly any pay rises means theres little growth and the result is recession, whereas in Australia there is low unemployment, higher pay rises and the populus seem to have more to spend which = growth, i know its not just that, but it proves to me that Australians seem to be fairing better overall than us Brits at present and i know for some its hard to take.

What ever the truth i don't think we will ever know, but Australia is one of only a few countries that never went in to recession, all i know is here in the uk putting an extra million people out of working over recent years, claiming benefits, spending less in the country along with hardly any pay rises means theres little growth and the result is recession, whereas in Australia there is low unemployment, higher pay rises and the populus seem to have more to spend which = growth, i know its not just that, but it proves to me that Australians seem to be fairing better overall than us Brits at present and i know for some its hard to take.

The truth is mate you havent a clue. My husband is in oil and gas and earns a lot of money but we find it hard. If you want to believe that the sun and the outdoor lifestyle make it worthwhile then go ahead but until you get here you have no bloody idea. You can't be that arrogant that you think you know better than those of us that live here.

Guest guest59177
So Fi has seen your pic, a little bit of favouritism going on there Lepto, and after the help I gave you the other day :wink:

Awwww KATE!!!!! You have been MOST generous and kind with me. All my favoritism would be for you thats for sure. We were talking about this pic:

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/chewing-fat/133626-what-do-you-look-like-8.html#post1269630

Truth be told, I am not very good looking and my picture would scare most people. My plan is to come over, maybe meet up with some guys on the forum for some orange juice and see how that goes. If I don't scare them, I might try my luck with the ladies. I think meeting in person would be much better than showing a pic.

No Jim, it's the fact we only have the choice of one company up here, our electric has doubled since we left Melbourne and we are in a lot smaller house up here. If you don't believe my electric bill please feel free to pay it for me, I'll even pay the first $500 and you pay anything over :wink:

The same goes for house insurance, we paid $600 per year in Melbourne now we pay $3000 per year with Suncorp, AAMI wanted $4500, even the guy at Suncorp had to check why it was so much and it's because we have a few trees around.

I guess, what M2M's post spells out really well is there is a big difference between something that we'd consider expensive and something unaffordable.

Clearly her insurance is overly expensive, for the service she is receiving - but that doesn't mean she goes without. Same deal when I see a bottle of Yellowtail wine that would have been 4 quid in Tesco, but costs more than double here - I can afford it, but still feel ripped off.

The truth is mate you havent a clue. My husband is in oil and gas and earns a lot of money but we find it hard. If you want to believe that the sun and the outdoor lifestyle make it worthwhile then go ahead but until you get here you have no bloody idea. You can't be that arrogant that you think you know better than those of us that live here.
Ar now bejaysus!Will ye cut that now for sure,for sure!:swoon:Jimbo's a good guy:yes:Will yer leave off of him.I don't agree with james meself, and do agree with you,but its only a debate.

I was talking to a mate from England last night. He's here in Adelaide for Xmas with his Aussie wife and kids on hols. Having only been here 24 hours he'd already noticed how expensive stuff is, compared to when he was here 18 months ago.

Now this isn't someone who knows nothing about Australia: he's lived here before and been out numerous times on holiday, and therefore is in a good position to make a direct comparison of retail prices between uk and aus. For example he found a bottle of Hardy's (an australian wine, ie made in australia, imported to the uk) which they buy in sainsbo's @ 2 for a tenner, here it was $15 for one.

Even if you use the most generous exchange rate of 2.5 that bottle would be £6 in the country of origin, compared to £5 in a country on the other side of the planet.

I was talking to a mate from England last night. He's here in Adelaide for Xmas with his Aussie wife and kids on hols. Having only been here 24 hours he'd already noticed how expensive stuff is, compared to when he was here 18 months ago.

Now this isn't someone who knows nothing about Australia: he's lived here before and been out numerous times on holiday, and therefore is in a good position to make a direct comparison of retail prices between uk and aus. For example he found a bottle of Hardy's (an australian wine, ie made in australia, imported to the uk) which they buy in sainsbo's @ 2 for a tenner, here it was $15 for one.

Even if you use the most generous exchange rate of 2.5 that bottle would be £6 in the country of origin, compared to £5 in a country on the other side of the planet.

Hardy's are on offer for 3 for a tenner at certain times in the year, I always stock up.

It sadly all comes down to time, we work longer hours here in Australia and whilst most things are on our doorstep (Kalgoorlie ain't that big!), I normally don't have time to shop around. If shops were open on a Sunday then maybe I would, but I have to cram everything into Saturday morning. Maybe that's why they don't allow Sunday trading to stop you from shopping around....

This actually is a very good point....big companies controlling the market.

Well, how can I argue. You clearly know better than I about the cost of living here in Australia. After speaking to family they assure me that my outgoings here in Perth are far higher than theirs. But hey what do I know.

Hoff has only been on holiday, your posts are from someone who lives there...nuff said

I think the most extreme example of being ripped off in Oz is the area of medicines and a lot of newly arrived Brits are beyond gobsmacked when they look for something simple over the counter remedies.

Here's a comparison of the price of loratadine as an example:

Sainbo's, box of 14 own brand £1.00

National discount chemist chain, cheapest brand box of 30Tablets 30 $19.99

.....and before anyone tries to tell me that I'm nit picking or whingeing, just go and see for yourself. The Disparity in prices of the same product is nothing other than astonishing

[TABLE=class: productInfo]

[TR]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: pricesInfo][/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

i live here 65years on a pension below the poverty line have two cars house and all the baggage that goes with it,i find it quite manageable, may be because i don't compare prices with anywhere else.

Mate, couldn't agree more. Jo and I have on an old age pension for 12 years and we manage quite well...Well, only 1 4wd...:laugh:

And our combined pension combined is $25,000

I really feel for those people who find it hard on say, $70,000 or more.:wink:

Cheers, Bobj.

OK, so the thread is about rip-off Oz. I would have bet my house here against a mud hut in PNG that the "talk" would take a "them v's us" tone. Comparisons, comparisons , comparisons.

I've noticed that the underlying trend in any of these threads, is to quote disparities between items that hardly figure in an "everyday budget". Let's face it, our main concern in household budgeting is mortgage/rent/utilities and then food/household items. Mortgage/rents/utilities can hardly be classed as "rip offs" as in the case of utilities there is Gov't control and to some extent, the same in the mortgage/rent market.

In another life, I published, (not so long ago), a list of household items (from woolies/Coles) that were comparable with those sold by UK supermarkets................Oz meat prices in particular beat UK prices hands down. The only items that I could find a huge difference in were "toiletries" and "laundries".................branded laundry detergent and Fabric conditioner being 2+x dearer than the UK and soaps/toothpastes about 50% dearer. Own brand laundry detergent in both though, is only $1.40 for 2 litres but invariably sells out. Generally, canned/convenience and foods likely to be consumed on a daily basis showed little price difference between the UK and Oz.

As I mentioned previously, I don't consider anything to be a "rip off" in the UK, Oz or anywhere. We live in a free market capitalist world and we all have choices and can vote with our feet. In some cases, such as medicines, and the silly prices of brandedlaundry detergents/fabric conditioners, previously mentioned, we don't, we're stuck with what the market price is and what we have to buy, but in most cases, we have the freedom of choice, so can hardly complain if we buy what we consider to be a 'rip off"

Guest GoldCoastMag

Plus 1 for managing on a low income (although only back after 5 years in USA 18 months now and prices are noticeably higher than there)

Mate, couldn't agree more. Jo and I have on an old age pension for 12 years and we manage quite well...Well, only 1 4wd...:laugh:

And our combined pension combined is $25,000

I really feel for those people who find it hard on say, $70,000 or more.:wink:

Cheers, Bobj.

And our combined pension combined is $25,000.

Good for you. I pay $26K a year to rent a three bedroom house (modest by Aussie standards - doesn't even have a family room or any heating beyond a single gas fire). With a 10% deposit, the mortgage on the same house would be $38k per year.

Guest Guest31881

Prices in any country are "market driven" They will reflect what people are willing to pay for any item, When the item becomes too expensive people stop buying, when it is cheap people buy a lot. The price is adjusted to strike a happy medium between the two, so the retailer / manufacturer is happy and the consumer will to pay the price asked, ( They do not have to be happy about it, just pay it).

Of course this does apply to single supplier markets such as where there is only one utilities supplier, Then they can push and push until the consumer physically cannot pay any more, not because they do not want to but because it becomes impossible.

Of course this does apply to single supplier markets such as where there is only one utilities supplier, Then they can push and push until the consumer physically cannot pay any more, not because they do not want to but because it becomes impossible.

Electricity companies can't do that in Qld Colin as the tarrif is set by the Gov't. trouble is, the gov't keeps approving price hikes.

Guest Guest31881
Electricity companies can't do that in Qld Colin as the tarrif is set by the Gov't. trouble is, the gov't keeps approving price hikes.

Totally agree, but when we lived in Goondiwindi we did find that certain areas, got discounts, so others were paying the "Fixed tariff" and other were below the tariff. They have ways and means. :evilface_frowning_s

Totally agree, but when we lived in Goondiwindi we did find that certain areas, got discounts, so others were paying the "Fixed tariff" and other were below the tariff. They have ways and means. :evilface_frowning_s

They're only allowed to discount your bill total, not the actual tarrif rate..................it seems like pedantic madness to me :arghh:

Guest The Pom Queen

At the end of the day we still live comfortably in Oz. In fact if we did all our shopping outside of Coles and we ordered other things from overseas we wouldn't be badly off.

Archived