Australia: From lucky country to land of rip-offs

ozziepom

• Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Sir Les Patterson
Seriously though sir les, that's most unlike you to fall back on the whinging Pom slur

Hey.....if the cap fits

you're a mod shouldn't you be keeping all impartial and what not. But we know from past thread what happens lol.

Hmmm, this is a bit of a weird one to reply to as its balancing between mod and normal forum member in it, but I'll give it a go.

I think people sometimes forget that mods are allowed to have an opinion on subjects and that they are not always wearing their mod cap so to speak when they post. I know I wade in often enough on topics and give my personal views on them and certainly don't do so in 'mod mode'. We moderate when we need to and so long as we discuss within the rules we should be allowed to chat and post here as any other normal member. We are not only here to moderate. I am first and foremost a forum member, I was one before I became a mod and should I ever cease modding, I'll be one after also. I am not going to sit on the sidelines and never express an opinion on a subject just because I am a mod.

I can't speak for other mods here, but I make a very clear definition of when I am moderating something and will always post 'mod moment' or 'mod mode' before I post a mod reply. When I am posting as just me, snifter, the forum member/user I don't include that. What you are getting then is my own personal POV or opinion and I'd expect no one to treat me differently nor to judge my reply based on my being a mod or make that an issue when replying to me. I speak as me most of the time, not as a mod and I hope people are aware of that and don't wave the being impartial flag at me or any other such thing. I don't enjoy the division this creates nor do I feel it helps a thread. Also if all I did was post as a mod I'd be bored senseless and end up resenting this forum and the amount of time it can take to moderate it. So yes, I need to be able to kick back and be me on here also still.

That was my own personal POV as a forum member who from time to time has to mod stuff but who also is human still and enjoys a bit of a chinwag the same as the next person:cute:

Guest The Pom Queen
Yes of course, but isn't it how you say it, not what you say :P

Lol it doesn't matter on a forum no one can hear you :sticky out tongue: see I even wrote the smiley just for you

anyway it's been a great thread so far and we have managed to avoid the Oz v UK so give yourself a pat on the back people.

by the way, incase people don't know, i think someone/s mentioned that they couldnt find HP brown sauce anywhere in aus? We found some in an IGA in Cairns today.

Coles has been selling it ever since I came her 17 yrs ago. Hellmans mayo only seems to stock 2 weeks either side of Chrizzy but it hasn't put in an appearance yet :cry:

Guest guest59177
Lol it doesn't matter on a forum no one can hear you :sticky out tongue: see I even wrote the smiley just for you

anyway it's been a great thread so far and we have managed to avoid the Oz v UK so give yourself a pat on the back people.

Duhhhhhhh can't reach back there Kate... :no:

Guest The Pom Queen
You've already seen my pic fi. Would do you think??

So Fi has seen your pic, a little bit of favouritism going on there Lepto, and after the help I gave you the other day :wink:

Guest Matthew88

so basically is this just telling me to by the nessesary stuff like groceries on the hight street but other things like clothes, dvds, books etc on line from other countries??

Guest The Pom Queen
so basically is this just telling me to by the nessesary stuff like groceries on the hight street but other things like clothes, dvds, books etc on line from other countries??

You are best shopping around for food, use Aldi (if there is one) the meat wholesaler, fruit and veg shop, baker etc, just buy essentials at Coles etc.

Personally I have found some good buys on DVDs but with everything just shop around.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Jim we have been here 8 years, you know I love the place, but this comment is silly, the exchange rate hasn't affected us for 8 years so we DO NOT compare, you just have to face facts Aus is a lot more expensive than it use to be (I'm sure the UK is as well)

Clearly the exchange rate doesn't effect you Kate and most others who have lived in Australia for any length of time, but the exchange rate is being used by those who are trying to prove that things are dearer in Australia by using the current exchange rate, so i point out that using their same exchange rate means that the average wage is 35% higher in Australia, which evens it all out. Everyone knows prices have gone up in Australia, but they have as you say also gone up in the uk as well, the only difference i see is that average wage increases year on year are far better in Australia and unemployment is lower there, so at present Australia has more to offer than the uk, on average.

Your one of the last people i would have thought would make such a comment, clearly the exchange rate doesn't effect you and most others who have lived in Australia for any length of time, but the exchange rate is being used by those who are trying to prove that things are dearer in Australia by using the current exchange rate, so i point out that using their same exchange rate means that the average wage is 35% higher in Australia, which evens it all out. Everyone knows prices have gone up in Australia, but they have as you say also gone up in the uk as well, the only difference i see is that average wage increases year on year are far better in Australia and unemployment is lower there, so at present Australia has more to offer than the uk, on average.

Mr Hoff, I am the biggest defender of Australia on any expat board BUT would I come now, knowing what I know now. Not a chance. If I had a comfortable life in the UK I would not swap it for love nor money in the current climate of either country. I came back last year for 6 weeks and a lot of things were massively cheaper. I can't comment on utilities as I was on holidays but I know my utilities have doubled in 6 years and my groceries have gone from $200 to over $300 per week. You have to live here to believe it so please take it from those of us that live here.

Mr Hoff, I am the biggest defender of Australia on any expat board BUT would I come now, knowing what I know now. Not a chance. If I had a comfortable life in the UK I would not swap it for love nor money in the current climate of either country. I came back last year for 6 weeks and a lot of things were massively cheaper. I can't comment on utilities as I was on holidays but I know my utilities have doubled in 6 years and my groceries have gone from $200 to over $300 per week. You have to live here to believe it so please take it from those of us that live here.

Northernbird, on behalf of all of us who have been in the UK for the last 6 years, I can assure you that in that time our utilities have more than doubled and our groceries have gone up by more than 50%. If your's have really only done that then you are doing well.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

I bet when you came back you got loads for your dollars, just like we got less for our pounds in Australia, using the exchange rate doesn't show the costs of things it distorts the true costs, if you were living in the uk, you would be earning and spending pounds, just the same as living in Australia and spending dollars. Also with the increase in costs, its no different here either, its a pointless debate, you say its dearer there, others who are there don't, i say costs have risen dramatically here in the uk just like in Australia, gas/electric, groceries, petrol, inflation running at 5% wages rises not really increasing, its tough everywhere, but i repeat some would have us believe most are living on the bread line or in poverty in Australia, when it isn't true, i'm not saying things are cheaper in Australia, i admit from our calculations, we thought it was slightly dearer there, i try to be honest, if i was trying to do the uk down, i would say its dearer here, but i think theres little difference, apart from the extortionate payments for mortgages in Australia, but the houses there are massive compared to the uk.

Just a note from our esteemed newish mod. the uk versus Oz debate was mentioned long before i commented on it, these threads always go that way and why shouldn't they if they right the wrong claims that Australia is far dearer than the uk, when clearly it isn't.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Northernbird, on behalf of all of us who have been in the UK for the last 6 years, I can assure you that in that time our utilities have more than doubled and our groceries have gone up by more than 50%. If your's have really only done that then you are doing well.

Well said mate, we all are paying more for the increases and theres less to spend on other things, thats why the uk has been in recession or near recession since 2008 and with no pay rises for the next few years announced by the government and the huge increase in unemployment, will mean no growth for a long time to come.

Archived