Australia: From lucky country to land of rip-offs

ozziepom

Guest guest17301

Take no notice Stacey....if you're going back because of the price of stuff then you don't really want to be here at all.....any excuse. Has anyone actually done a basic shop online to compare prices??? Work out the % increase in your wage for your occupation too...that should help when looking at the basic cost of things. I think a lot of newbies must come over...convert everything to pounds whilst out and about and then convince themselves its a rip off. Fools.....sorry. Do your research people.

• Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest The Ropey HOFF
Just saw the $267 radio I bought in Australia (David Jones) for £85 in John Lewis.

Ropey - does that fit into your living exchange rate calculations?! :confused:

It works out almost exactly the same, average Australian wages are paid at a rate of about $2.7 to £1 currently so its about the same price and chances are you saw it in the sales in John Lewis because they are desperate for the business due to the lack of money being spent in the shops this year in the uk, its down you know but what do you expect with an extra one million people out of work.:wink: Nice try though.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

All the best everyone, good debate, hopefully it didn't scare any would be migrants too much. lol. Costs are similar overall in each country.

hoff.jpg

Love it, Pabs...Now, I ask you, would Aussies whinge about warm pommy beer??? Hmmm?

Cheers, Bobj.

Lol,we ALL have a little moan now and again i think mate,btw,the aussies were the freindliest people we met in London,them and some kiwis and proper cockneys,its like i say Bob,we all like familiarity i suppose,but i personally wouldnt let the price of guinness or whisky make me leave Aus,i might have said "jesus wept,the price of the whisky":sad:,doesnt mean i dislike Aus tho,just meant i drank Tooheys old,sorted!:jiggy:

Btw,i met my mate in Athens for the Champions lge final 07,he's been in Perth 8 yrs,we wouldnt buy the rip off ale at the organised fan zone set up by EUFA,none of us did,we dont like people taking the p7ss.

So everyone went to the off licences,all the cold beer was soon mooched,so i came back with an "ordinary" case off the shelf,"i" drank it,no probs,me mate Maca point blank refused,had to march all over Athens for cold beer!so i guess its contagious this "uncold" beer dislike,he would deffo have drank it before moving there!:laugh:

Guest The Ropey HOFF
vw o2 sensor on car went today, 475 dollars for the part, checked in uk, 61 quid, guess where part coming from.

Its not that i don't believe you, can you put the links up to evidence it. :wink: .

It works out almost exactly the same, average Australian wages are paid at a rate of about $2.7 to £1 currently so its about the same price and chances are you saw it in the sales in John Lewis because they are desperate for the business due to the lack of money being spent in the shops this year in the uk, its down you know but what do you expect with an extra one million people out of work.:wink: Nice try though.

2.7 now???? You used to spout it was 2.2:1 all the time! Does it go up with the cost of living to keep it inline with your rose tinted vision? Ha ha. My salary actually decreased moving to Aus so I suppose it is even more of a rip off for me. Didn't realise the price of radios had anything to do with salary, is it not the value of a product? And no it wasn't on sale...if it gets even cheaper on boxing day I will be sure to let you know :biglaugh:

ps. Further redundancies at my partners Australian firm this week - fourth round this year and they are linked to the mining industry. Poor families just before the holidays.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
2.7 now???? You used to spout it was 2.2:1 all the time! Does it go up with the cost of living to keep it inline with your rose tinted vision? Ha ha. My salary actually decreased moving to Aus so I suppose it is even more of a rip off for me. Didn't realise the price of radios had anything to do with salary, is it not the value of a product? And no it wasn't on sale...if it gets even cheaper on boxing day I will be sure to let you know :biglaugh:

ps. Further redundancies at my partners Australian firm this week - fourth round this year and they are linked to the mining industry. Poor families just before the holidays.

Try to keep up .......... the 2.2 rate is from PIO before i came on here, i wrote that a couple of days ago, i believe its now nearer to 2.7 with the great wage increases of nearly 5% each year in OZ and the 0% decrease in the uk, nice post though, you sound lovely. As for redundancies, at least your hubbys work colleagues will have a good chance of getting another job with only 5% unemployment in Australia, theres hundreds of thousands being made redundant here in the uk and they have no prospect of getting another job, things are far better on the jobs front in Australia, if anyone is getting ripped hoff at least you have a job to pay for it. lol.

Lol,we ALL have a little moan now and again i think mate,btw,the aussies were the freindliest people we met in London,them and some kiwis and proper cockneys,its like i say Bob,we all like familiarity i suppose,but i personally wouldnt let the price of guinness or whisky make me leave Aus,i might have said "jesus wept,the price of the whisky":sad:,doesnt mean i dislike Aus tho,just meant i drank Tooheys old,sorted!:jiggy:

Btw,i met my mate in Athens for the Champions lge final 07,he's been in Perth 8 yrs,we wouldnt buy the rip off ale at the organised fan zone set up by EUFA,none of us did,we dont like people taking the p7ss.

So everyone went to the off licences,all the cold beer was soon mooched,so i came back with an "ordinary" case off the shelf,"i" drank it,no probs,me mate Maca point blank refused,had to march all over Athens for cold beer!so i guess its contagious this "uncold" beer dislike,he would deffo have drank it before moving there!:laugh:

Ahh, a true connoisseur!

Used to brew Coopers old. But a couple of doses of hepatitis stopped all that...

Cheers, Bobj.

All the best everyone, good debate, hopefully it didn't scare any would be migrants too much. lol. Costs are similar overall in each country.

hoff.jpg

:skeptical:

'nice try'. see you this side soon eh hoffy, then we'll see what you have to say when you earn and spend dollars, this thread is not meant to deter peeps and if it did they are not ready to come here, but if you come blinkered then yoos suffer. have a good uk xmas matey.

Try http://www.cyberspaceautoparts.com.au/ it shouldn't cost more than $200, although with the strong $Aus and rock bottom price of the £ it may still be cheaper importing from the UK.

thanks for that, had a quote from uk and can buy both sensors from them inc postage and it works out cheaper than 1 sensor here. But fair as i am on uk and oz I will say i contacted the garage I bought the car from as the warranty had expired and they have agreed to repair the sensor free of charge.

This thread is unbelievable. As rockola and northernbird rightly pointed out, just because you think oz is expensive compared to other countries it doesn't mean you hate the place or are slagging off Australia. But it is expensive, very expensive. You can still live a good life here if you either earn a lot or live frugally. Mind you the whole concept of coming to the other side of the world, cutting yourself from everything familiar, just so that you can 'live the dream' and spend ages shopping around for specials and bulk buys is a rather odd one for me.

Not everyone is earning 2.2 or even 2.7 times what they were earning in the uk. Many migrants come here and have great difficulties finding jobs. Try being unemployed living here with no entitlement to centrelink benefits. Try living here if you have medical problems and cannot find a doctor who bulk bills, or are on multiple medications which each require a seperate prescription charge monthly, each of which can cost up to $33, as centre link has a 2 year waiting period to qualify for a healthcare or concession card.

It does at times feel like everyone wants a piece of you, their pound of flesh. This is not whinging, this is real life for many newly arrived migrants.

I'm sorry, but I think it's totally ridiculous to compare using a salary-based conversion. So for example, my salary is now 3.75 times what I was earning in the UK, if you just do a straight numerical division and ignoring the currency (you're suggesting that the average for this figure is about 2.2). If you take into account the current exchange rate I'm now earning 2.4 times my UK salary. So if I bought something in the UK that cost 1% of my salary, it does not mean I am happy to spend 1% of my salary here on the same item. If I was happy about that, it would mean that I would be satisfied by having the same standard of living as I had in the UK and having the same proportion of spare money each month. However I did not come here to have the same standard of living, I came here to earn more money and save more money. I don't want to spend $10k on a crap second hand car. I don't want to pay at least $75 each when we go out for dinner, and I don't like paying $100 a month for my phone and broadband!

As it is, we are saving more than we ever could in the UK, but we are also spending a lot more on day to day essentials. But just because we're saving more, doesn't mean Australia isn't a rip-off. It just means we earn a hell of a lot more here, and the exchange rate is in our favour when it comes to sending money back for the mortgage and student loans etc.

As rightly pointed out by a mod..............this thread is not about difficulties for new migrants or whether certain items are expensive.................The clue is in the OP's title..............."rip off"

Irrespective of whether you find living costs reasonable or exorbitant, it's whether you feel "ripped off" or not. As I said, earlier, unless you have all the fact(ors) contributing to prices here, can you clearly/honestly state that you are ripped off or that you just feel that you are.

Over $600 last weekend for 4 tyres in Bob Jane's for a Yaris. A Toyota Yaris. Last time I bought a tyre for the Megane we had in UK, it was 30 quid. Felt sorry for the bloke getting stuff done on his big 4x4, he was paying three and a half grand. Bear that in mind when you buy a car. Every time I go Bob Jane's or the other place near me, they've just run out of the cheap tyres and I have to buy some rally performance ones or something stupid.

I did get a 32" LG LCD TV for the mother-in-law in Harvey Norman for $350, that ain't bad. And there were lots of offers on in Woollies yesterday, my xmas shopping wasn't as bad as I'd feared.

But being ripped off is all about personal perception. There is no difference between being ripped off and feeling ripped off, as 'ripped off' is in itself a feeling, not a fact. Some people will happily pay higher prices and feel OK about it, whilst others will think its an absolute con and feel slightly sick about it for the rest of the day.

There is also no sense of ever getting a bargain here. In the UK sales can be quite impressive and you can make real savings, like on BOGOFs and 3 for 2 offers. I have never seen a BOGOF here. Supermarkets idea of 'special offers' are like harpodom's profile picture "BBQ chicken reduced from $10 to $9.88!". Yeah big deal.

I wouldn't be here if it weren't for the vast improvement in salary for me. If I was earning the same or only slightly more, it wouldn't be worth leaving the UK and family. Hot weather is over-rated (it's 40 degrees here today...).

Probably if you are in Kalgoorlie, if you are in, say Sydney, and retail shopping, there are loads of bargains to be had at the moment.

I do laugh at the 'special offers' of a few cents off. They used to do that in the UK as well - as well as you not actually receiving the discount at the till - how many folk check - I know I used to. But they are not all like that and to portray all Australian supermarkets as only offering a few cents off as specials is a little disingenious. A bit like Harpo saying things are 'very expensive'...its a bit melodramatic really...keeps reinforcing that John Inman vision in my head. Sorry Harpo...:wubclub:

There is also no sense of ever getting a bargain here. In the UK sales can be quite impressive and you can make real savings, like on BOGOFs and 3 for 2 offers. I have never seen a BOGOF here. Supermarkets idea of 'special offers' are like harpodom's profile picture "BBQ chicken reduced from $10 to $9.88!". Yeah big deal.

Archived