Australia: From lucky country to land of rip-offs

ozziepom

geezzz that's a lot for bread. We have a small bakery / shop that sells their own bread and we pay $3.50 for a fresh loaf, bread rolls are $4 for 6 (so about the same) . I know what you mean about supermarket bread I prefer the bakers own, especially when it is still warm early morning. They also do cakes and other stuff that is so much better than the Foodworks supermarket next door. We live in a small community of around 900, and the baker is open from 6am until he sells out, that could be 10am or it could be 4pm, but once they sell out, then they shut, family business and no staff to worry about.

Yes it is a lot to pay. I find bread for the most part from the Bakery chains to lack substance.

Biting into a roll for example is like mostly air. Where are the ingrediants that make proper bread? In the old days bread wasn't like that. It was crusty and of substance.

Hence here in Perth pay a bit more and buy bread made for example by the monks at New Norcia for those in the know. Imagine it is cost that makes the bread in the main taste rather poorly.

• Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest guest59177

Errrr could somebody comment on the cost of baking bread in the home? Let's say one buys a breadmaker for the kneading part and bakes at home how much would that cost?

Guest Guest31881
Errrr could somebody comment on the cost of baking bread in the home? Let's say one buys a breadmaker for the kneading part and bakes at home how much would that cost?

Usually considered not worth the cost, by the time you have allowed for the cost of buying the breadmaker, and the cost of electricity to run it, (even if only to mix and kneed) then using a cooker to cook the bread plus the coast of the ingredients the cost per loaf is relatively high.

Unlike the UK, prices here fluctuate a lot. Bananas now are 99c a kilo - last week they were $1.99 a kilo and a couple of weeks before that they were $5.99 a kilo. In the winter they reached $15.99 a kilo in the supermarket and $19.99 in small grocers. Bananas are an extreme example

Bananas were so expensive this year only because Cyclone Yasi wiped out a huge proportion of the banana plantations in Australia and it has taken this long for production to recover. During a normal year there may be some fluctuation in price but it is usually quite small.

Usually considered not worth the cost, by the time you have allowed for the cost of buying the breadmaker, and the cost of electricity to run it, (even if only to mix and kneed) then using a cooker to cook the bread plus the coast of the ingredients the cost per loaf is relatively high.

You don't need the cooker to cook the bread - it is all done in the breadmaker.

It used to cost me about half the price of store bought bread to make a loaf in the breadmaker but that was over 10 years ago. I haven't done a comparison recently.

I used to make all our bread in a breadmaker (until the novelty wore off). I might have saved a bit per loaf but I really got sick of doing it every day - which you need to do because there aren't any (or many) preservatives in home made bread. If I couldn't afford to buy bread I think I would just cut it out of my diet in preference to making it every day.:yes:

Guest Guest31881

It used to cost me about half the price of store bought bread to make a loaf in the breadmaker but that was over 10 years ago. I haven't done a comparison recently.

I do know that, but the question was

could somebody comment on the cost of baking bread in the home? Let's say one buys a breadmaker for the kneading part and bakes at home how much would that cost?

So i answered the question as asked, not to cook in the maker.

Guest guest59177

I used to make all our bread in a breadmaker (until the novelty wore off). I might have saved a bit per loaf but I really got sick of doing it every day - which you need to do because there aren't any (or many) preservatives in home made bread. If I couldn't afford to buy bread I think I would just cut it out of my diet in preference to making it every day.:yes:

Thanks for the responses people. This has been really informative because previously I didn't know that breakmakers could knead + bake all in one go. I might give it a try when I am over there.

Guest guest17301

or...just knead it by hand...not that hard. 1kg plain flour about $1.39 makes about 4 loaves...plus the dried yeast...again low cost per loaf

Worth it for the smell of fresh bread alone to me colin,i love bread,have it with everything,was thinking along the same lines as lepto meself tbh,the smell of bread baking and smokey bacon frying:notworthy:

Worst thing in the world is "doughy" bread,somebody mentioned biting into "air", sayers air cobs hollowed out and filled with chips and baked in the oven...,awwww tell yer what!!! :jiggy:

Easily worth the cost, even with everything it works out at less than half the price of a bought loaf, you put the bread into the oven when you are baking or roasting other things anyway and the taste is so much better than a bought loaf that is pumped full of additivies, have you ever had a smell of a bought loaf that it is a few days old? it smells chemical.

That's another thing missing here. The odour of fresh baked bread. What a great sensation to experience in Amsterdam for example. That with the scent of fresh brewed coffee in the morning and even the cheese.

The bread that I do buy here in Perth is so claimed to be without additives,hence the high price. Still doesn't come close to capturing the pure pleasure of some European baking houses.

Here's another lot that don't know what they're talking about :biglaugh:

http://www.which4u.com.au/credit-cards/news/12414-australia-the-land-of-the-rip-off

"Centre for Independent Studies" what do they know :laugh:

Just goes to further support what a lot of us have been aware of for a very long time. Just why there is not more protest and anger at how we are being shafted in almost every aspect of life is a bit odd.

A bit of the great Aussie apathy at play I guess along with a compliance culture that abounds these days.

All a great shame and I would go as far as to say a national disaster. There is no earthy reason why Australia should have come in under a decade to being one of the fairer societies, where most things were affordable to most people to become in every sense of the word one gigantic rip off.

When the dollar does return to normal rates wages will not look so flash then and foreign imports which is most things these days will raise prices accordingly.

That's another thing missing here. The odour of fresh baked bread. What a great sensation to experience in Amsterdam for example. That with the scent of fresh brewed coffee in the morning and even the cheese.

The bread that I do buy here in Perth is so claimed to be without additives,hence the high price. Still doesn't come close to capturing the pure pleasure of some European baking houses.

Amsterdam is like nowhere else in Europe ......so Bohemian .......a real melting pot ......

not for me personally , but i fully understand and respect your choice

You would not believe the Dutch are geographically so close to the Germans

They couldnt be more different

We went to Amsterdam in the summer .....taking a walk in daylight with my wife and youngest around the red light area

As you are aware thats an experience .....the drug cafes .....the openly gay area with the rainbow flags .....the open urinals , , AND NO ONE BATS AN EYELID .

Just goes to further support what a lot of us have been aware of for a very long time. Just why there is not more protest and anger at how we are being shafted in almost every aspect of life is a bit odd.

A bit of the great Aussie apathy at play I guess along with a compliance culture that abounds these days.

All a great shame and I would go as far as to say a national disaster. There is no earthy reason why Australia should have come in under a decade to being one of the fairer societies, where most things were affordable to most people to become in every sense of the word one gigantic rip off.

When the dollar does return to normal rates wages will not look so flash then and foreign imports which is most things these days will raise prices accordingly.

Superb post,and exactly what i have been saying to the missus for the last 3 years. Well said.

Just interested to know if you have critically read through the CIS report? Their comparisons rely heavily on the exchange rate. There are some interesting and enlightening comparisons nonetheless, and amongst other things, reasons for price differentials on books and luxury cars.

Here's another lot that don't know what they're talking about :biglaugh:

http://www.which4u.com.au/credit-cards/news/12414-australia-the-land-of-the-rip-off

"Centre for Independent Studies" what do they know :laugh:

Just interested to know if you have critically read through the CIS report? Their comparisons rely heavily on the exchange rate. There are some interesting and enlightening comparisons nonetheless, and amongst other things, reasons for price differentials on books and luxury cars.

I did, and you are quite correct regarding the exchange rate, but as Flag of Convenience pointed out, if and when the rate returns to what it was then look out, just the increase in the cost of petrol and diesel will push the cost of everything up and of course all imported goods will be more expensive.

Archived