what has the uk got that australia lacks

Guest sh7t man no way

Afraid very much the case and the one thing I'll never get used to. I live inner city Perth and not perhaps as quiet as you find but walking as I do a lot can pass next to no one once away from the area people walk their dogs.

Indeed for a nation of so many young kids so few are seen out. Kids far too overprotected in my view.

xboxes and computers to blame, some kids will always get out and play sports and ride bikes and climb trees but compared to my parents day's it is a dying breed.

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Times when you cannot buy alcohol...

Wasn't the question what the UK has that Australia lacks? That one more the othe way around. Admittedly the UK supermarkets do only sell alcohol for 6 hours on a Sunday but it's 24 hours the rest of the week. Perth supermarkets on the other hand seem to be closed as often as they're open and this thread is full of comments on bars and restaurants closing at peak times.

Wasn't the question what the UK has that Australia lacks? That one more the othe way around. Admittedly the UK supermarkets do only sell alcohol for 6 hours on a Sunday but it's 24 hours the rest of the week. Perth supermarkets on the other hand seem to be closed as often as they're open and this thread is full of comments on bars and restaurants closing at peak times.

Yep sorry Ken, posted on the wrong thread :goofy:

Great thread, been stalking it for a few days and decided to write. Been in Oz for 2 years and whilst all going ok, I still miss Europe so this has got me thinking...

What the UK has that Australia lacks? (My opinion solely)

Christmas in the Snow……….Santa was not meant to have speedo’s

Chocolate .............that doesn’t taste like 5 tablespoons of sugar in one hit......too sweet here.

Variety of flavoured crisps................. i.e. Worcester Sauce /Monster Munch

Crispy Duck

Curry Chips

Waitrose

Marks and Spencers

A public transport system that comes every few minutes (I will never ever moan about the tube again)

Better Fashion

Cheap dentists

Free contraception

RYANAIR (never thought I would say that)

Pubs with no TAB signs

Non agressive drivers

Cheap Cars

More than 20 days holidays a year

Jobs which give you real benefits i.e. private healthcare and life insurance and bonuses!!

Ability to be in another country in an hour !

More musical theatre

More "big" live bands and festivals

Green fields

Squirrels :-)

Spiders that arent the size of elephants.....

Spiders than dont kill you...

Less creepy crawlies in general.....

No snakes

Hmmm.........now I'm homesick

Guest Mattinoz

We have returned to the U.K. with our young son and I can not say how glad we are even after six months to be back. That first pint/curry/trip to a good supermarket/ decent clothes shop and trip to Lords/twickenham/ wembley to see England has never felt better.

We have returned to the U.K. with our young son and I can not say how glad we are even after six months to be back. That first pint/curry/trip to a good supermarket/ decent clothes shop and trip to Lords/twickenham/ wembley to see England has never felt better.

All in one day:notworthy:

It's funny/ironic that the best curry is in UK not on the Sub-continent. I wonder what the Indian restauranteurs in Sydney are doing wrong as there's a huge Indian community to service in Sydney, plus homesick Pommie Sydneysiders of course.

Perhaps they are all dreaming of making enough money in Australia so that they can move to the UK so they can learn to make the best curries in the world? But will they want to come back to Australia again?

PS I should apologise for saying 'Indian'. I don't mean to exclude Pakistanis, Sri Lankans, Bangladeshians and of course there are also Fiji Indians and South African Indians here with their own cuisine

Guest guest30038
It's funny/ironic that the best curry is in UK not on the Sub-continent. I wonder what the Indian restauranteurs in Sydney are doing wrong as there's a huge Indian community to service in Sydney, plus homesick Pommie Sydneysiders of course.

Perhaps they are all dreaming of making enough money in Australia so that they can move to the UK so they can learn to make the best curries in the world? But will they want to come back to Australia again?

PS I should apologise for saying 'Indian'. I don't mean to exclude Pakistanis, Sri Lankans, Bangladeshians and of course there are also Fiji Indians and South African Indians here with their own cuisine

I also wonder how many folk realise that most restaurants don't make their own curry at time of order. Some are pre-cooked by the restaurants and simply microwaved later, but most are made in industrial units, individually packaged, and sold to restaurants who just de-frost and re-heat.

I also wonder how many folk realise that most restaurants don't make their own curry at time of order. Some are pre-cooked by the restaurants and simply microwaved later, but most are made in industrial units, individually packaged, and sold to restaurants who just de-frost and re-heat.

Well, thanks for taking all the anticipation and romance out of my next meal out!

How about giving me the chances of getting a gastric attack now!

PS on the other hand, though, perhaps the industrial units in Pommieland are Michelin-rated whereas the Aussie ones are just McDonalds-rated?

Just had a vision of these three Pommie stereotypes - Flo Capp, Ena Sharples & 'you silly moo' in a nondescript warehouse on the backstreets of Hounslow.

First Witch

Round about the cauldron go;

In the poison'd entrails throw.

Toad, that under cold stone

Days and nights has thirty-one

Swelter'd venom sleeping got,

Boil thou first i' the charmed pot.

ALL

Double, double toil and trouble;

Fire burn, and cauldron bubble.

Second Witch

Fillet of a fenny snake,

In the cauldron boil and bake;

Eye of newt and toe of frog,

Wool of bat and tongue of dog,

Adder's fork and blind-worm's sting,

Lizard's leg and owlet's wing,

For a charm of powerful trouble,

Like a hell-broth boil and bubble.

ALL

Fire burn and cauldron bubble.

Third Witch

Scale of dragon, tooth of wolf,

Witches' mummy, maw and gulf

Of the ravin'd salt-sea shark,

Root of hemlock digg'd i' the dark,

Liver of blaspheming Jew,

Gall of goat, and slips of yew

Silver'd in the moon's eclipse,

Nose of Turk and Tartar's lips,

Finger of birth-strangled babe

Ditch-deliver'd by a drab,

Make the gruel thick and slab:

Add thereto a tiger's chaudron,

For the ingredients of our cauldron.

ALL

Fire burn and cauldron bubble.

Second Witch

Cool it with a baboon's blood,

Then the charm is firm and good

Along comes the foreman (in his turban) How MANY times do I have to tell you, don't forget the curry paste and dont' tap your fags over the pot.

We stuck Oz for 8 months Matt and have been back for a year...the joy of being back in the real world still hasn't gone away.

Guest Sir Les Patterson

I must admit some of you pommies that keep saying "no decent curries in Australia" and can't wait to get back to England for a decent curry" etc make me grin.

As some of you on this forum know I am an international freight pilot. I live in Port Douglas but am based in Hong Kong. I have many layovers all over the world. One of these layovers is Mumbai (was there two weeks ago). I also have a penchant for curry. I have eaten at some really good restaurants in Mumbai and at some fantastic street vendors as well. My partner and I have also done several "backpacking" treks of India. The most recent was last year when we did northern India (Rajasthan), we railed from Mumbai to Jodhpur and then on to Jaisalmer. Previous to this we trekked Southern India and Goa.

One of my other layovers is Manchester and on two previous holidays to Europe I/we have sought out Indian/curry establishments in London.In all I have probably eaten at approximately 20 "Indian" Restaurants in the UK and they taste nothing like the curries in India. So called Indian Restaurants in the UK could be best described as "Indian/British Style Curry Restaurants".

Having eaten extensively in both India and the UK I can honestly say the Australian indian restaurants serve a far more original,authentic cuisine than any establishment than I have ever encountered in the UK. Even here in Cairns there are two restaurants (that I have dined at) that offer close to authentic cuisine.

I'm afraid that most of you pommies wouldn't know a good/authentic Indian curry if it jumped up and bit you on the arse. The curries whose virtues you are extolling can as I said before be best described as British style curry.....it bears very little resemblance to the real thing.

Guest guest57588
I must admit some of you pommies that keep saying "no decent curries in Australia" and can't wait to get back to England for a decent curry" etc make me grin.

As some of you on this forum know I am an international freight pilot. I live in Port Douglas but am based in Hong Kong. I have many layovers all over the world. One of these layovers is Mumbai (was there two weeks ago). I also have a penchant for curry. I have eaten at some really good restaurants in Mumbai and at some fantastic street vendors as well. My partner and I have also done several "backpacking" treks of India. The most recent was last year when we did northern India (Rajasthan), we railed from Mumbai to Jodhpur and then on to Jaisalmer. Previous to this we trekked Southern India and Goa.

One of my other layovers is Manchester and on two previous holidays to Europe I/we have sought out Indian/curry establishments in London.In all I have probably eaten at approximately 20 "Indian" Restaurants in the UK and they taste nothing like the curries in India. So called Indian Restaurants in the UK could be best described as "Indian/British Style Curry Restaurants".

Having eaten extensively in both India and the UK I can honestly say the Australian indian restaurants serve a far more original,authentic cuisine than any establishment than I have ever encountered in the UK. Even here in Cairns there are two restaurants (that I have dined at) that offer close to authentic cuisine.

I'm afraid that most of you pommies wouldn't know a good/authentic Indian curry if it jumped up and bit you on the arse. The curries whose virtues you are extolling can as I said before be best described as British style curry.....it bears very little resemblance to the real thing.

Your dead right Lesley, a good mate of mine is a Bengali lad. He told me to come round one night for "a proper western style curry." Jeesh, it was blooming awful!. Thin, hot, watery and all heat, no taste. Give me a good old Chicken Passanda or a Lamb Bhuna down 'The Star of Bombay' anytime :biggrin:

Blimey!! What is it with people and curry!!!

I have to say.... I feel like I am obviously a fake English person!! Because, personally I can't stand Curry!! :army-tongue:

So heres hoping that that longing for home and a good English curry will pass me by when I'm in Oz! and hopefully I'll live happily ever after!!!!

But I'm happy to keep a curry in the first aid box for when anyone in my house suffers with constipation!!!:em0300: :twitcy:

:biglaugh:

Wow thanks for the education, cobber

Absolute Complete rubbish, Indian takeaways and restaurants all make their own curries on the premises, I used to deliver for "bookers" to indian restaurants and every single one bar none make their own curries while you wait, they have a massive stock pot of the curry gravy and just add spices and meat to make whatever curry is ordered, you just completely made that up.

Most of the curry houses in the UK are Pakistani owned and as such are influenced by Pakistan cuisine and northern Indian to a degree. As you say this is much different to the cuisine you would get in most parts of India.

Luckily however we do have more and more genuine Indian restaurants opening now as well as other regional variations from western Asia.

On my India visit the cuisine was certainly very different to the Pakistani owned curry houses I've been to here in the uk.

In terms of Australia, I've has some good curries, one in Darwin springs to mind but most have been average at best. Also a lot of us poms crave for burning hot curries which you don't see to get.

Archived