what has the uk got that australia lacks

Guest sh7t man no way

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't someone post a photo of one the other day? I'm sure they did? I'm also sure that they are 'farming' barramundi in The New Forest now?

I took my own cooking to new - STRATOSPHERIC levels this week. I learnt how to fry an egg and I had baked beans in chilli sauce (Heinz! 57 varieties for every year of my life) cherry tomato and mushrooms on toast - with a cup of tea. (and a further two slices of toast with chocolate spread for dessert.)

They do say, do 'they' not, that, for an Englishman to eat well, he has to eat breakfast three times a day?

I was RIGHT!

You can now buy Barramundi - Australia's best selling fish - in the UK, where it is farmed in the New Forest. A white meaty fish, it is delicious served simply or with an intricate sauce, like this.

Serves 2

Ingredients

• 1 whole barramundi, scaled and filleted, or 2 shop bought fillets

For the crust

• 50g mint leaves
  • 1 tsp crushed pink peppercorns
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 80g softened butter
  • 50g fresh breadcrumbs
  • 25g flat leave parsley
  • 1 tsp salt

For the pea sauce

• 1 shallot, finely chopped
  • 30g unsalted butter
  • 50ml dry white wine
  • 300g frozen peas, petit pois if possible
  • 200ml chicken stock
  • 100ml cream
  • pinch sugar
  • Sea salt to taste

To serve

• 150g jersey royals
  • 4-6 spears asparagus, 2-3 per person
  • 50g podded / shelled broad beans, fresh or frozen
  • 25g butter

Measurement Conversion Calculator

Method

1. <LI sizcache="127" sizset="0" nodeIndex="1">1Blitz together all the crust ingredients in a small blender. Season the flesh side of the fish and smear with the crust, then set aside. If you want to make the crust in advance empty the mixture between 2 sheets of greaseproof paper, roll out and keep in the fridge for up to 3 days, then cut to size of fish and lay on top. <LI sizcache="127" sizset="0" nodeIndex="2">2To make the pea sauce melt the butter in a pan over a low heat and cook the shallots until softened. Deglaze the pan with the white wine and reduce. Add half the peas (150g), the chicken stock, cream, salt and sugar and reduce until the peas are tender. Meanwhile heat a non stick pan with a dash of olive oil then add the fish skin side down (crust side up) and cook for 1 minute, then put the pan under a hot grill to cook the crust of the fish for 2 minutes. Put the 150g of uncooked peas into a blender, then add the hot pea sauce and blitz together <LI sizcache="127" sizset="0" nodeIndex="3">3Pass the sauce through a fine sieve.
  2. 4To serve, put the hot buttered vegetables in the bottom of a deep plate, lay the fish on top (crust side up) and pour the thick pea sauce all around - it should be quite soupy. If you want to cook your vegetables in advance you can reheat them by putting them into boiling water for 30 seconds, then drain them into a bowl, toss with a knob of butter and season to taste.

Thanks guys, i should of guessed it was a fish, its a sort of fishy name lol. Im quite boring with food, but im really up for trying new things if i go to oz. Going to try some seafood on holiday lol that prob sounds weird but ive never really tried seafood except scampi and another fish that i cant remember the name of. I had a bite of a kangaroo burger once, thats about the extent of my exotic food lol

Guest sh7t man no way

This thread is hilarious, i have never seen such a childish one since i joined pio, you lot really need to get out more :tongue:
aye it turned into a bit of a pissing contest andy--but there you go--anyway hopefully back on thread--when im in oz,i miss all the oldie worldly charm of the old country--we've just been to visit some friends in minehead,and did lunch today in dunster (thatched cottages/castle) its such a place to visit mate--theres a church there over 700 years old,and i spent ages reading all about it,and all its history:wubclub: a nice day indeed

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Hey, head off back back to CTF Troll-Boy!. Nothing to see here.

Your new to this site, all newbies make the odd mistake, don't worry i forgive your gaff.:wink:

aye it turned into a bit of a pissing contest andy--but there you go--anyway hopefully back on thread--when im in oz,i miss all the oldie worldly charm of the old country--we've just been to visit some friends in minehead,and did lunch today in dunster (thatched cottages/castle) its such a place to visit mate--theres a church there over 700 years old,and i spent ages reading all about it,and all its history:wubclub: a nice day indeed

I think i would miss all of that as well al, we probably take all that for granted when it is on the door step and only really miss it when it is not there.

There are three 11th Century churches on the Waterside (west side of Southampton Water) think they may have been watch towers too for the Vikings or did the Vikings not come that far south?

One of the three - Dibden perhaps - was the first to be bombed during The Blitz. Fawley has graves for some of the RAF pilots from 1940. Eling is the other. Got a VR mail box in the brick wall nearby. Mum and Dad used to show me the skulls and egg timers on the headstones.

I LOVED cycling when I lived in England, going thru all those little villages, one of the few things I really do miss.

Minehead - TA Postcode? so it's south west of Bristol????

Thanks guys, i should of guessed it was a fish, its a sort of fishy name lol. Im quite boring with food, but im really up for trying new things if i go to oz. Going to try some seafood on holiday lol that prob sounds weird but ive never really tried seafood except scampi and another fish that i cant remember the name of. I had a bite of a kangaroo burger once, thats about the extent of my exotic food lol

The grilled sardines are good in Portugal aren't they? I liked eating them even more because I did not have to worry about the bones so much.

Brandy mel? Honey Brandy. I still ask for that when I go to a Porguese restaurant here - a few of them in Petersham plus Brazilian ones around too.

The grilled sardines are good in Portugal aren't they? I liked eating them even more because I did not have to worry about the bones so much.

Brandy mel? Honey Brandy. I still ask for that when I go to a Porguese restaurant here - a few of them in Petersham plus Brazilian ones around too.

I havent even tried sardines.. Thats how boring i am with food! Def going to try them this time though. My bf's mum and his sister love the honey brandy, they always bring a bottle or two home.

Guest sh7t man no way
There are three 11th Century churches on the Waterside (west side of Southampton Water) think they may have been watch towers too for the Vikings or did the Vikings not come that far south?

One of the three - Dibden perhaps - was the first to be bombed during The Blitz. Fawley has graves for some of the RAF pilots from 1940. Eling is the other. Got a VR mail box in the brick wall nearby. Mum and Dad used to show me the skulls and egg timers on the headstones.

I LOVED cycling when I lived in England, going thru all those little villages, one of the few things I really do miss.

Minehead - TA Postcode? so it's south west of Bristol????

on an oz not there was a spitfire squadron based at strathpine (near brisbane) one went down,and killed the pilot in 1943--my mates wrote a book about it,and made a video--it funny when people relate to the spitfire,as in the battle of britian--it well served its purpose in defending australia from the japs---minehead is about an hours drive south west of bristol--just west of weston-super-mare-did you know that clevedon near by has the second highest tidal flow in the world (47 foot spring tide) and you can surf the river severn boar in gloucester where i live in the UK--not exactly bondi beach but the same feeling:wubclub:

I wont eat anything that even slightly resembles a slug,if i get special fried rice she ferrets out all the seafood before ive even started eating it,and im glad,its a kind of mutual benefit,like those little fish that eat all the dead flesh off larger fish:cute:

Tonite it will be chicken fried rice and onion gravy for me,yes onion gravy:daydreaming:,that way she wont make a big hole in me meal,thats snookered her!:biggrin:

Really.:biggrin:

Ok,so we've established indian food in the uk is adapted to british tastes:shocked:

Chinese food is also adapted to british tastes in the uk:shocked:,we asked for a banquet of what THEY would eat once when out for a meal,they obliged,nothing like ive ever tasted before tbh,nowhere near as rich or fattening,all noodles,and plain rice etc,no batter on any of the meat either,but anyway:rolleyes:.....im just glad im not fussed on curry,do yer get a pair of boxing gloves as a side order with curry?:biggrin:

Ok the thread,the uk(my city anyway) has this,the craic day and night:notworthy:,im sure i can find it in oz,but maybe a bit harder:smile:

[YOUTUBE]_ynME6ie96E[/YOUTUBE]

After having the pleasure:wideeyed:of listening to this lad sing lets hope it IS harder to find!wtf!:biglaugh:

[YOUTUBE]CYBiG3JlC4Q[/YOUTUBE]

COOPERS! OMG! Is that the bar just on the outside of that shopping centre - ooh wotsitcalled - in Liverpool? Clayton Square! I haven't been there in years - that's on the bucket list for my 'homecoming' just before heading to Brisbane! That and the Ship & Mitre. And... several others probably! Had some good times there - took me ma in, she loved it!

There better be crap karaoke or I'll be dead disappointed!

Guest sh7t man no way
The uk has all this as well:rolleyes:,probs Aus does as well,but i wouldnt miss it if it doesnt,best take me profile pic down now if i go for a bevvy in town!:wideeyed::laugh:

[YOUTUBE]SsbNwEdHsso[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]xA59sPt7uF0[/YOUTUBE]

pabs i just never get tired of saying this--gee mate i love you:notworthy:heres the maximum wub clubs :wubclub::wubclub::wubclub: you luverly guy you:happy_face_love_in_

COOPERS! OMG! Is that the bar just on the outside of that shopping centre - ooh wotsitcalled - in Liverpool? Clayton Square! I haven't been there in years - that's on the bucket list for my 'homecoming' just before heading to Brisbane! That and the Ship & Mitre. And... several others probably! Had some good times there - took me ma in, she loved it!

There better be crap karaoke or I'll be dead disappointed!

Thats the one mrs,dead small but buzzing!next to the globe pub,smokie mo's facing the top beehive is alrite for bad kaaoke now as well!:laugh:

pabs i just never get tired of saying this--gee mate i love you:notworthy:heres the maximum wub clubs :wubclub::wubclub::wubclub: you luverly guy you:happy_face_love_in_

Thx al:cute::em4400: We'l share a pickled egg and ploughmans lunch one day,and a pint of 6X or old peculiar in that lovely part of the world you live in mate:notworthy:,back atcha baby:wubclub::wink:

Thx al:cute::em4400: We'l share a pickled egg and ploughmans lunch one day,and a pint of 6X or old peculiar in that lovely part of the world you live in mate:notworthy:,back atcha baby:wubclub::wink:

:notworthy:

Easy to make your own pickled eggs, they say leave them for a month but they taste better after a week.

Archived