what has the uk got that australia lacks

Guest sh7t man no way

I didn't want to jump in like some I won't mention (Olly:chatterbox:)

Ok thank you for the permission SM, the two things I really miss about the UK that I can't get here are:

1) Property with character like these:

38_04_4---Thatched-Cottage--Micheldever_web.jpg

yorkshire-barn-conversion.gif

2) A white Christmas

Gold-Hill-in-snow-1.jpg

hi...not sure if you know, but what part of the uk is this photo from..i currently live in melbourne but i am returning to the uk...i love a white christmas...you cant beat it:hug: thankyou...

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This thread is brilliant. I am SO pleased to see there are so many like me who like British seasons. I am def more outdoorsy in UK than I am in Oz. Can't take the heat you see. Loving the positive posts. Am looking SO forward to going home now (well I was anyway but now even more). Thanks all x

A mate of mine once said, there is no bad weather, just wrong clothing.... gotta love his outlook!!!

I do find it interesting that so often the excuse for a move to Australia is the "outdoor lifestyle". My d-i-l is over the moon on her trip here to UK - the kids have never been able to go outside quite so much in their lives and the d-i-l has had more picnics in 2 weeks than for years in Aus, she is out walking and enjoying the environment at every opportunity.

The youngest one - now crawling had an absolute ball on Hadrian's wall the other day, crawling for yards unimpeded, standing against the ruins and crawling. Their enjoyment of being outside is palpable. The eldest has developed an amazing capacity for climbing (on ruins, tut tut) which she hasnt been able to exploit where we live (the OHS brigade have almost made that impossible).

Even in the rain the kids have been out, rugged up and the big one has been running around with her mouth open just relishing the feel of rain on her tongue. Up in the north here I have been amazed at the number of walkers and bikers - even in the pretty dire weather we experienced the other day there were loads of people out enjoying themselves. It is so much easier to rug up against the cold and wet than it is to escape being frizzled by the sun in the heat and sapping humidity.

Another thing that I always notice is that I am fitter when I am in UK. Because of the lack of stairs and the dependence on lifts and escalators in Aus cities, I rarely climb stairs and like most Aussies will use the car rather than walking - once I have been in Uk for a month or so, my fitness increases significantly just by casual walking up hills, up stairs, for longer distances etc.

Isnt individual perception a wonderful thing!

This thread is brilliant. I am SO pleased to see there are so many like me who like British seasons. I am def more outdoorsy in UK than I am in Oz. Can't take the heat you see. Loving the positive posts. Am looking SO forward to going home now (well I was anyway but now even more). Thanks all x

We had such a long warm to hot Spring that they are saying Autumn is coming early, the leaves are starting to turn into the magical shades already and they also say we are in for another cold white winter. :eek:

What has the UK got that Australia lacks? Double Choc-Chip Muffins that taste like Double Choc-Chip Muffins that's what.

It was a disappointment on our most recent trip to Oz that the shops had big and delicious looking muffins, but if you ate them they all tasted like sawdust! We did think it might be one particular shop so we did shop around but everywhere had the same problem and other flavours of Muffin had the same problem so it's not just the Aussie chocolate that's the problem.

What has the UK got that Australia lacks? Double Choc-Chip Muffins that taste like Double Choc-Chip Muffins that's what.

It was a disappointment on our most recent trip to Oz that the shops had big and delicious looking muffins, but if you ate them they all tasted like sawdust! We did think it might be one particular shop so we did shop around but everywhere had the same problem and other flavours of Muffin had the same problem so it's not just the Aussie chocolate that's the problem.

I could not eat the aussie chocolate :embarrassed: just to sweet and sickly, I suppose it is waht you are brought up on that fashions your taste buds.

I could not eat the aussie chocolate :embarrassed: just to sweet and sickly, I suppose it is waht you are brought up on that fashions your taste buds.

Cadbury chocolate in Oz was made by the UK Cadbury company.

It would be interesting to know when they changed the Australian recipe ...and why.

Maybe because thats the way the aussies like it :eek: have you tried American chocolate....that really is rank.

No...everything American is too sweet for me :wink:

I prefer Lindt choccie actually, although there's a Belgian chocolate maker in Tasmania who makes beautiful stuff.

No...everything American is too sweet for me :wink:

I prefer Lindt choccie actually, although there's a Belgian chocolate maker in Tasmania who makes beautiful stuff.

I find belgian chocolate nice for a couple of pieces but it is so rich that you cannot eat to much.

Aussie Mars Bars and Twixes are different to Pommie ones??? I suppose I should envy someone whose palate can even remember. I can't remember the taste of a single thing that I liked in England to even be able to compare it to the Aussies ones. Even when I do buy something actually made in England exported here it does not bring back any memories.

Chocolate bars sold as Mars vary in different regions of the world.[1] The American version was discontinued in 2002[2] and was replaced with the slightly different Snickers Almond.[2] The U.S. version of the Mars bar was relaunched in January 2010 and is initially being sold on an exclusive basis through Wal-Mart stores. The European version of the Mars bar is also sold in some United States grocery stores, usually being found in the imported or ethnic food sections. Regional European variations also exist, for example in Finland and other Nordic Countries, a standard Mars Bar weighs 47g

OK I was wrong, there is a difference but I could care less, and anyway, since my cholesterol went up I get no pleasure from the bloody things anyway.

My daughter makes the most awesome Double Choc Chip Muffins and they go very nicely with that double thick chocolate custard you get from Woolworths. So if you're ever down Brisbane way look us up.

My daughter makes the most awesome Double Choc Chip Muffins and they go very nicely with that double thick chocolate custard you get from Woolworths. So if you're ever down Brisbane way look us up.

What about my cholesterol? 'If it tastes nice it's bad for you' is a mantra I have learnt to HATE! I went into Hungry Jacks on George St, Sydney the other night for a coffee and I had one of their little ice cream cones - 50 cents! Best ice cream I've ever had!

I'm sure I read a post a few weeks ago about someone new to Buderim. is it a small 'village' like place? I 'Googled' it and thought (unlike the poster) that it would not be a bad place to live.

What about my cholesterol? 'If it tastes nice it's bad for you' is a mantra I have learnt to HATE! I went into Hungry Jacks on George St, Sydney the other night for a coffee and I had one of their little ice cream cones - 50 cents! Best ice cream I've ever had!

I'm sure I read a post a few weeks ago about someone new to Buderim. is it a small 'village' like place? I 'Googled' it and thought (unlike the poster) that it would not be a bad place to live.

Not bad, but if you have to earn money to live then it's a no go. We moved to Brisbane, I think if we had stayed any longer we would have been bankrupt by now

Not bad, but if you have to earn money to live then it's a no go. We moved to Brisbane, I think if we had stayed any longer we would have been bankrupt by now

So it's a 'trendy'/'yuppie' etc kind of place? I could have been there but I'm not sure. I stayed at St George, Dalby, Gympie, Caloundra and as I have a habit of perennially turning off the highway to see places I might have been there.

Guest kirst3333

Hi all, I am from Oz but moved to London in 2003 met my patner and after 5 years of living in London moved back to Oz with my partner. We left behind a huge circle of friends and my partners fantastic family. So we come to Oz and yes the lifestyle is great and we get back into a social scene with my friends and family, but its definitely not the same. After 3 years we have very few close joint friends and we still get more support (mostly) from UK friends when something big happens here. I have felt more a sense of belonging in UK than here at times, even after a steady climb in my career and a shift in my emotional maturity.

London is definitely a melting pot and Adelaide is slowly becoming one, but with a lot of resistance, and this I find the biggest disappointment. I never thought for a minute that Australia was a racist country, (I went to high school with a mixture of vietnamese, greeks and alot of second/third generation australians). Although I rarely see viscious obvious racism, there are attitudes from colleagues that i find hard to stomach.

Yes I love the weather, the beaches, the food, the wine, but this is all material and can never replace a sense of belonging.

Hi all, I am from Oz but moved to London in 2003 met my patner and after 5 years of living in London moved back to Oz with my partner. We left behind a huge circle of friends and my partners fantastic family. So we come to Oz and yes the lifestyle is great and we get back into a social scene with my friends and family, but its definitely not the same. After 3 years we have very few close joint friends and we still get more support (mostly) from UK friends when something big happens here. I have felt more a sense of belonging in UK than here at times, even after a steady climb in my career and a shift in my emotional maturity.

London is definitely a melting pot and Adelaide is slowly becoming one, but with a lot of resistance, and this I find the biggest disappointment. I never thought for a minute that Australia was a racist country, (I went to high school with a mixture of vietnamese, greeks and alot of second/third generation australians). Although I rarely see viscious obvious racism, there are attitudes from colleagues that i find hard to stomach.

Yes I love the weather, the beaches, the food, the wine, but this is all material and can never replace a sense of belonging.

Interesting comments, welcome to pio btw !

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts in relation to this post from another thread:

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/moving-back-uk/127228-anyone-pio-met-aussies-living-u-k-4.html#post1198151

We have found the opposite, we are treated like we dont belong in the UK, we are not entitled to any finacial support before we start work even though we are British, if we were from another country in the EU we would be entitled to money. Now we are back the novelty with family and friends has worn off, we actually have more people in Oz asking us to move back there, didnt realise how many nice friends we had over there until we left and returned to the UK. It was a big mistake moving back but unfortunately we are stuck now due to finances, think hard anyone before you move to the UK, there are no jobs that pay anything like Oz did if any jobs at all. I have been fortunate to get a nursing job, but because I left the UK I have been put on the same pay as a newly qualified nurse despite having over 20 years experience, it is a joke.

I have been fortunate to get a nursing job, but because I left the UK I have been put on the same pay as a newly qualified nurse despite having over 20 years experience, it is a joke.

How come?

Have they not considered the years you were working as a nurse in Oz?

Archived