what has the uk got that australia lacks

Guest sh7t man no way

Guest sh7t man no way

just why do you wish to return to the uk--and why hasnt australia given you all that you require to live there--is it family/comfort zone/jobs/culture/education--so what has the uk got that australia is lacking-as far as wanting to return to the uk from australia.

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know I am Orstralian shi7man, and I think that the two places are completely different, so I don't compare them at all - when I am in either country I do as the Romans do so to speak - so in England I go to the pub everyday and drink a pint, then walk down the High Street, then hire a car and drive down those cute country lanes until I get to a village where there is a million year old church. I try and put on an English accent, so I say "innit" a lot. I think to myself "mmm I am in the UK":laugh:Then I come back to Australia, get something confiscated from customs without fail, get my car and drive a million miles to my home and turn the airconditioning on because I can't cope with 41C. And I think "Mmm, I am back in Australia".:laugh:So I have the best of both worlds really. Oh I might add shi7man, that I think that some people just don't settle because they want to go home, wherever that is for them ! Hey wouldn't mind a pint right now, have one for me please.........

• Like 1

Guest sh7t man no way

Can I join in although I'm staying in Oz, please :hug:
off course you can m2m--a thread without you in it is a less interesting thread indeed:wubclub::hug:

Guest The Pom Queen

I didn't want to jump in like some I won't mention (Olly:chatterbox:)

Ok thank you for the permission SM, the two things I really miss about the UK that I can't get here are:

1) Property with character like these:

38_04_4---Thatched-Cottage--Micheldever_web.jpg

yorkshire-barn-conversion.gif

2) A white Christmas

Gold-Hill-in-snow-1.jpg

What struck me about Australia when I was down there about a year ago is that the distances between cities are vast on a European scale. It's rather like living in Manchester, and the nearest neighbour being Berlin.

In addition, there's not the same differences between cities as you'd get in Europe. So in the above example, rather than going to Berlin from Manchester, you'd be going to Glasgow or Birmingham despite travelling so far.

I'm probably spoilt, because I spent a couple of years living in the Netherlands, and could easily get to Germany or Belgium for a day trip, and had weekends in Denmark and France too. I think that cultural variation is what I'd really miss in Australia.

The other practical difference is public transport. The UK isn't great, particularly compared to some European countries, but it's possible to get away without owning a car. That's far harder in Australia. In fact I'm surprised by the lack of light rail or similar in Sydney or Adelaide.

• Like 1

I didn't want to jump in like some I won't mention (Olly:chatterbox:)

Ok thank you for the permission SM, the two things I really miss about the UK that I can't get here are:

1) Property with character like these:

38_04_4---Thatched-Cottage--Micheldever_web.jpg

yorkshire-barn-conversion.gif

2) A white Christmas

Gold-Hill-in-snow-1.jpg

Pretty to look at but you can't talk to them. Sydney and Melbourne have some wonderful colonial architecture, unique to Australia.

I love the history of the UK - I know Aus has it's own but it's still a relatively new country,

Australia's (European) history covers times and events just as interesting as any earlier period - Napoleonic Wars, American Revolution, French Revolution, not to ignore Australia's own history, nor its Aboriginal history.

When I did my degree at UNSW I chose European History which I regret now with so many interesting things happening in my adopted country.

Pretty to look at but you can't talk to them. Sydney and Melbourne have some wonderful colonial architecture, unique to Australia.

They (houses with character) can become a bit of a millstone as well. We love our 650-yr old Grade II listed house and will be sorry in many ways to say goodbye to it. But I won't miss the maintenance (we put £1500+ aside each year for it), nor the constant worry that some mega-bill (like re-roofing with the sort of flat tiles the conservation office will accept) is just around the corner

I'm going to miss pretty villages though, that's for sure. Still worth it

for me its not one country is better than other.. left uk at 28 been in oz for 8 yrs and both countries have exactly the same problems.. its just the way each country focuses on their problems.

for me if I could leave tomorrow and head back I would.. family costs now make that a little harder..

thing that bugs me the most is the distance.

Can drive 3 hrs and nothing hardly changes next town an hr away.. next noticeable vaguley famous or beautiful place to see hr-2hrs away.

in the uk I could go 30 mins down the road and the whole countryside could change, or find something historical or something of interest.

the other big thing makes me want to go back.. never underestimate the power of family and relatives. Not been home in 6 yrs not seen family in 4yrs. and certainly don't have the money to fly the family there every 2 secs.

plus there is plenty of other little things I jsut miss but I could be here all day..

If people wondering why I came to Oz it would be becuase my partner was in oz and at the time was more convient to move to oz, 8 yrs later and couple of lovely kids and wife that drive barmey some days and happy as larry the others *hugs* , Oz for which there is nothing wrong with it. doesn't have the appeal to keep me.

So give me enough time and some serious saving.. uk here I come..

just why do you wish to return to the uk--and why hasnt australia given you all that you require to live there--is it family/comfort zone/jobs/culture/education--so what has the uk got that australia is lacking-as far as wanting to return to the uk from australia.

For me (back a couple of months now).................Familiarity, friends, family and distance!

Although in saying that, I had family and good friends in Australia. I had a good job with great prospects of promotion and we had built our own home - massive by UK standards.................but it just was not enough for me in the end.

I think at the end of the day, I just woke up one morning and though "what the hell am I doing here" ...............I felt that nothing was really any different for me, I still had the same daily grind and the shine had worn off for me which is really quite a shame. At that point, the deep spiral into depression took its hold.

Don't get me wrong, on reflection the move to Oz was a good thing...............and I would really advise everyone to go for it.......................BUT, just be prepared for the call of home. It is so important to have strategies in place incase this does happen........there is nothing worse than one of you desperate to return to the homeland and the other hell bent on staying in Oz or wherever.............it really can/does test even the strongest of relationships.

Australia's (European) history covers times and events just as interesting as any earlier period - Napoleonic Wars, American Revolution, French Revolution, not to ignore Australia's own history, nor its Aboriginal history.

When I did my degree at UNSW I chose European History which I regret now with so many interesting things happening in my adopted country.

I do enjoy learning the history of my new country - perhaps I'm drawn to the UK history because it was taught in school - so visiting places i'd learned about in childhood was always a bit magical

Guest sh7t man no way

Class
:notworthy::notworthy:couldnt agree more dom--well said indeed--its also a tradidition thing for me--all that history is what puts the spirit thing into the uk--congrats on becoming a mod:wideeyed:i think:wink:

Guest sh7t man no way
For me (back a couple of months now).................Familiarity, friends, family and distance!

Although in saying that, I had family and good friends in Australia. I had a good job with great prospects of promotion and we had built our own home - massive by UK standards.................but it just was not enough for me in the end.

I think at the end of the day, I just woke up one morning and though "what the hell am I doing here" ...............I felt that nothing was really any different for me, I still had the same daily grind and the shine had worn off for me which is really quite a shame. At that point, the deep spiral into depression took its hold.

Don't get me wrong, on reflection the move to Oz was a good thing...............and I would really advise everyone to go for it.......................BUT, just be prepared for the call of home. It is so important to have strategies in place incase this does happen........there is nothing worse than one of you desperate to return to the homeland and the other hell bent on staying in Oz or wherever.............it really can/does test even the strongest of relationships.

i agree gill--that call of home is quite difficult to shake off,some say it never leaves you,but in time you learn not to think about it to much,and i also agree with the testing the relationship thing--you must be very strong as a couple i believe before starting your new life in oz--good friends of mine are now divorced by the stresses australia brought when the went to live there from england

Guest sh7t man no way

I'll be interested in this topic: hubbie desperately wants to return to England despite 20 years in Oz!
i hope its an interesting topic jacky--there may be members who feel australia is not for them,and may think there alone with there thoughts-i thought this thread may give them the chance to share there thoughts,and to help make a decision about how they feel-for me on a personall note i quite like australia,but theres a big part of me that does not belong there--its a sense of belonging--which hopefully this thread will explain --hence what has the uk got that australia lacks is title of the thread--thanks for you reply

Guest Dirtbagbaby
decent sausages.....................apparently :goofy:

That's so true, If I do return to Australia I'll defo miss the English sausage