what has the uk got that australia lacks

Guest sh7t man no way

Interesting thread. My conclusion - if Australia were like the UK with hotter weather I wouldn't even consider moving there! Each to their own :biggrin:

We didn't expect Aus to be like the UK but with sunshine....indeed we had been several times (Husband is Australian and we go every few years to see his family). It comes down to if you can live with the differences and if they are worth the life you leave behind.

For us we chose not to because it wasn't.:nah:

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What has the UK got that Oz does not.

National Health - There is mdicare, don't forget you pay in taxes to get the NHS

Cheap dental care.(free for kids) - if you can get a NHS dentist that is

Decent beer - depends on what you like

Decent Curries. - absolutely

Better TV. - depends on what you like

Better scenery. - depends on what you like

More interesting History. - loads of history

Castles. - yep love castles

Historic stately homes. yep

National Trust. yep, costs a fortune to be a member

Royal Family. austtralia has the Queen too

Better shops. - what sort - if you go to most UK high st's most are supermarkets, coffee shops and charity shops -although not exclusively

Europe on our doorstop. yep even though geography isn't my best area

4 Seasons. yep,

Old pubs. yep, poor conc, liberal and labour clubs though

British comedies on TV and British comedians. I grew up on british comedy and it is some of the finest in the world - I grew up in OZ

The inbetweeners. - never watched them so can't say either way

Last night of the proms. - watched it once, bored the life out of me

Red Arrows.:notworthy: - awesome

Bonfire night. - i love letting off my own fireworks and scaring the neighbours dogs

Short list.....will add more later.

I think the point is =, everyone is different and what you like is not neccesarily what I like. It would be a very boring place indeed if everyone was the same

I think the point is =, everyone is different and what you like is not neccesarily what I like. It would be a very boring place indeed if everyone was the same

Regarding the National trust it does not cost a fortune, a family ticket for a year is £66 if you pay direct debit.

https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w-trust/w-support/w-jointoday/w-jointoday-joinonline.htm

Regarding the National trust it does not cost a fortune, a family ticket for a year is £66 if you pay direct debit.

https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w-trust/w-support/w-jointoday/w-jointoday-joinonline.htm

Honestly, as lovely as the NT is, buying a family membership when you have young kids is often not practical I feel. Mainly as most of their sites are the sort of thing it'd be my worst nightmare to take a 5 year old round :laugh: We went round a castle a while back and my son was constantly being asked by us to not swing on the ropes, to not run around, to not touch anything, to not sneak under the barriers and so on. He was bored senseless and as he wasn't allowed to eat or drink anything either during the tour, he whined a bit. Now he is a good kid but because there really wasn't anything on his level he was bored and of course then tried to amuse himself with these things. And us having to keep asking him to stop was wearing.

Also, unless you travel round a great deal you really are limited to what is in your local area. And how many times would I take my son to say Dunster Castle or Killerton House for a day out? We've done both and would not go back with a child again. Unless it was to make use of the grounds of Killerton and walk our dog. But thats a long way to go for a dog walk when we have lovely woods and parklands within 10 minutes of us.

Yes the grounds of many places are lovely, but again, you are often restricted and there is very little for kids. Lovely pristine gardens are not exactly kids ideas of a good time. Only so many times you can "ooooh' at pretty flowers :cute:

What I want as a family over here is activity stuff for the kids. Places they can run around, play games, picnic, climb, make a noise, be kids really. So a membership to a farm park or some such is for us usually the better option. And they generally are not so cheap. And we will visit it numerous times also. Each time, doing different things and my son is never bored :) Time enough for culture and castles once they are older and able to understand and appreciate it all more.

Honestly, as lovely as the NT is, buying a family membership when you have young kids is often not practical I feel. Mainly as most of their sites are the sort of thing it'd be my worst nightmare to take a 5 year old round :laugh: We went round a castle a while back and my son was constantly being asked by us to not swing on the ropes, to not run around, to not touch anything, to not sneak under the barriers and so on. He was bored senseless and as he wasn't allowed to eat or drink anything either during the tour, he whined a bit. Now he is a good kid but because there really wasn't anything on his level he was bored and of course then tried to amuse himself with these things. And us having to keep asking him to stop was wearing.

Also, unless you travel round a great deal you really are limited to what is in your local area. And how many times would I take my son to say Dunster Castle or Killerton House for a day out? We've done both and would not go back with a child again. Unless it was to make use of the grounds of Killerton and walk our dog. But thats a long way to go for a dog walk when we have lovely woods and parklands within 10 minutes of us.

Yes the grounds of many places are lovely, but again, you are often restricted and there is very little for kids. Lovely pristine gardens are not exactly kids ideas of a good time. Only so many times you can "ooooh' at pretty flowers :cute:

What I want as a family over here is activity stuff for the kids. Places they can run around, play games, picnic, climb, make a noise, be kids really. So a membership to a farm park or some such is for us usually the better option. And they generally are not so cheap. And we will visit it numerous times also. Each time, doing different things and my son is never bored :) Time enough for culture and castles once they are older and able to understand and appreciate it all more.

National trust do a lot for kids these days, and do all what you have posted and more, it is great value.

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w-vh/w-visits/w-visits-fun_for_kids.htm

Guest Been there

Posts like this which are so out of touch would have me query whether you have ever been to Australia? Seafood choice alone is astonishing. You make weird posts I must say

National trust do a lot for kids these days, and do all what you have posted and more, it is great value.

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w-vh/w-visits/w-visits-fun_for_kids.htm

None of those places are within a decent drive for us. Not worth the membership fee for our family.

Really, as I said, as lovely as the NT is, its not worth it for us. On a limited budget, as many are, family days out need to be something you really get value for money for. If we have to spend 3 hours in a car to get somewhere and £40 in fuel, its a waste of a day and our money. I'd rather go to the farm park or the beach with a bucket and spade or take my son on a nature ramble round the local reserve than drive to Corfe Castle or Derbyshire.

You visit those kinds of places when you go on holiday in the UK, or have a weekend away, you don't drive round the UK to visit NY properties with younger kids or a budget to keep to. Honestly, you don't.

Guest Been there

Yes the British Empire team is currently better than Australia but I'll wait till it gets back to being the England team before I start cheering again. A pity pride flew out the window in England a long time ago.

Guest guest57588
thats when most threads after the second post ended up being a war zone:biglaugh:gee if you put a thread up on ice cubes--they would be bigger,and colder in oz--but not have the culture,and history of the uk ice cube:wideeyed:aye it wuz like a firing range some nights--but old nigel in oz soon sorted them out:notworthy:i miss nigel--we use to have some real good talks:wubclub:

Whatever happened to Nigel?. He used to be on here a lot when I first started reading PIO a few years back now. He was like part of the furniture round here, but now he seems to have disapeared without trace.

Guest guest57588
As most will know I am a fan of Australia, but will never knock the UK without justification.

There is nothing like seeing a single Oak tree in a field on a cold frosty morning.

I'm no tree hugger, but the tales it could tell,:yes:

20110131_df1_20101207_0917_027%20oak%20tree%20to%20east%20-8c%20frost%20(crop)(r+mb%20id@768).jpg

The tales it could tell? - "Those bl&&dy squirrels, they've been cr@pping everywhere again..."

Guest The Pom Queen
The uk has better rioters than Australia.:yes:

You nicked that from Brits Abroad you cheat:notworthy:

Guest guest30085
Whatever happened to Nigel?. He used to be on here a lot when I first started reading PIO a few years back now. He was like part of the furniture round here, but now he seems to have disapeared without trace.

Hes moved onto pastures new I believe, some people stay and others leave, its the way of the world unfortunately :frown: you should have hollered all those years ago, we could all have been acquainted by now :hug:

Guest The Pom Queen

Nigel had lots of things going on in his personal life:sad:

WHAT HAS THE UK GOT THAT OZ HASN'T ??

20% VAT

high unemployment

massive public debt

roads that are bursting at the seams with traffic

70 million vehicles to go on those roads

high fuel prices - not just petrol, but elec and gas

The EU - thats working out well.

low dark clouds that just wont go away - even in summer

expensive railway network

That takes care of the good things - now what about the BAD ones?

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Easier to get money off the goverment (benifits) in the UK than OZ. You just need to turn up.

I read somewhere that 9.3 million people are claiming some form of benefits in the uk.:yes:

Its probably less now because Cameron said he was cracking down on it, just like he said he was cracking down on immigration.:goofy::nah::no:

National Health

Cheap dental care.(free for kids)

Decent beer

Decent Curries.

Better TV.

Better scenery.

More interesting History.

Castles.

Historic stately homes.

National Trust.

Royal Family.

Better shops.

Europe on our doorstop.

4 Seasons.

Old pubs.

British comedies on TV and British comedians.

The inbetweeners.

Last night of the proms.

Red Arrows.:notworthy:

Bonfire night.

Short list.....will add more later.

Few more. all my own opinion.

Better built houses.

A media that always looks on the dark side of things and blows things all out of proportion.

A worse attitude to work,aussies work hard, Poms are lazy compared.

A doom and gloom outlook.

Glass half empty in Oz it is half full.

No pride in our nation, auusies are opposite.

Whinging poms ( we have earned the title.)

will think of a few more.

That takes care of the good things - now what about the BAD ones?

You are hilarious, you start threads telling people how they should not moan about Australia and it is what it is and then you post the above having a right go at Britain :err:.

Posts like this which are so out of touch would have me query whether you have ever been to Australia? Seafood choice alone is astonishing. You make weird posts I must say

In a restaurant when we over there, supposed to be brilliant and came highly recommended. There was no seafood at all on the menu, when we queried this we were told we were 2 & 1/2 hours to the coast so the chef didn't believe in offering seafood....!

Also had run out of 5 things from the main course of the menu because we had a 'late table' (it was 8pm on a Sat night), they started cashing up at 9pm.

Didn't affect the price though.....funny that.

I really don't think personal attacks are needed here. The thread was started about what did the UK have that Oz doesn't. In my opinion the UK has loads that Australia does and vice versa, however what I don't like is people having a go at others who are contributing to the thread. It is small minded and adds nothing to any arguments presented.

A lot is personal taste and is hard to quantify except for saying it is what you love about the country.

I think my point is this - if someone new to this site stated to read through this thread they would get to the bit where personal attacks started and give up reading and may never take part themselves, which I think is a bit sad as from what I have learned from this site is the vast majority of members are more than willing to lend their experience to others.

I think a group hug is needed

Archived