what has the uk got that australia lacks

Guest sh7t man no way

Guest guest57588
In a restaurant when we over there, supposed to be brilliant and came highly recommended. There was no seafood at all on the menu, when we queried this we were told we were 2 & 1/2 hours to the coast so the chef didn't believe in offering seafood....!

Also had run out of 5 things from the main course of the menu because we had a 'late table' (it was 8pm on a Sat night), they started cashing up at 9pm.

Didn't affect the price though.....funny that.

I've had this experience a few times, with the staff yawning and virtually tapping their watches at me to finish up - it was 9:30 on a saturday night!. Mind you, that was in Geelong, their a strange bunch over there!

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Do you get a lot of people knocking on your door and offering to lend you an onion round your way? I just can't grasp why anyone would knock on someones door thinking that person might want to borrow an onion (for a day). Is lending an onion some sort of slang code term that has passed me by? Don't tell me you've been imagining the Queen knocking on your door asking to do something perverted!!!

Yes its an olde scouse ritual,a celebration of when the onion boats used to dock from spain on 12th may,we wear hessian sack vests and knock on our neighbours doors and lend each other an onion to celebrate the start of onion season:wubclub:

On the other hand it might have been a thought that crossed my mind because we were having nachos or wraps(whatever there called)and we were short an onion,the shops were shut and i debated knocking on my neighbours for an onion,i never btw,i stayed an onion free zone.........i'l let you decide which scenario is true:smile:

what has the uk got that australia lacks

Stupidly expensive fishing costs in the Uk as compared to Australia.:yes:

Cheers, Bobj.

£26 for a rod licence and you can fish many rivers and canels for nothing, it cost's nothing to fish the coastline :eek:

£26 for a rod licence and you can fish many rivers and canels for nothing, it cost's nothing to fish the coastline :eek:

Not a clue about fishing tbh,only been to lakes a cpl of times,our hod carrier is taking me beach casting soon tho,think thats what he called it,looking forward to it tbh,the more i can pick up before i land in oz(if ever!)the better

I've had this experience a few times, with the staff yawning and virtually tapping their watches at me to finish up - it was 9:30 on a saturday night!. Mind you, that was in Geelong, their a strange bunch over there!

Happened to me in Adelaide as well tradie,only about 8 or 9 of us watching ncstle v Lpool in the lounge,so they shut the room down really early but left the pokies(no telly for match:mad:)open,was a bit suprised tbh because it was only about half 9/ten o'clock,something i'l have to get used to i suppose,mind you i prefer going out of an afternoon and home earlier before all the idiots come out,wasnt happy missing the 2nd half tho!foxtell/cables a must i reckon

Not a clue about fishing tbh,only been to lakes a cpl of times,our hod carrier is taking me beach casting soon tho,think thats what he called it,looking forward to it tbh,the more i can pick up before i land in oz(if ever!)the better

I find fishing where you put fish back a strange one, as a kid it is OK but as an adult it seems a waste of drinking time, sea fishing is a different ball game where you actually eat what you catch.

Guest guest57588
Happened to me in Adelaide as well tradie,only about 8 or 9 of us watching ncstle v Lpool in the lounge,so they shut the room down really early but left the pokies(no telly for match:mad:)open,was a bit suprised tbh because it was only about half 9/ten o'clock,something i'l have to get used to i suppose,mind you i prefer going out of an afternoon and home earlier before all the idiots come out,wasnt happy missing the 2nd half tho!foxtell/cables a must i reckon

Deffo get yourself Foxtel and IQ mate (Aussie version of SKY +) that way you can record the match and watch it the next day. Were we are is a bastion of AFL so theres not much interest in proper footy so I never have problems with people telling me the scores. You come home from work and watch it like it was live. Do your boozing at home too. Pub prices here in Vic are steep. Small offies in Oz like BWS are robbers. Danny Murphys or the big booze warehouses are your best bet.

Guest sh7t man no way

it happens in queensland as well pabs--most everything shuts at 8/9 pm--i think it some type of curfew thing they have--to ensure they all get to bed early:SLEEP:its like being a teenager:no:

Happened to me in Adelaide as well tradie,only about 8 or 9 of us watching ncstle v Lpool in the lounge,so they shut the room down really early but left the pokies(no telly for match:mad:)open,was a bit suprised tbh because it was only about half 9/ten o'clock,

Happened to me too Pabs, in Adelaide. We went out for a meal and by 8.30 they were vacuuming around us, watching and waiting for the second we got up out of our seats so they could lock up!! But then that could just have been cos they didn't like us!!:wideeyed: Paranoid???....ME!!.........WHO YOU LOOKING AT WEIRDO!!!

it happens in queensland as well pabs--most everything shuts at 8/9 pm--i think it some type of curfew thing they have--to ensure they all get to bed early:SLEEP:its like being a teenager:no:

We went to the Sunshine Coast over Easter weekend and tried to buy a bottle of wine on the Good Friday........:err:

Guest guest57588
We went to the Sunshine Coast over Easter weekend and tried to buy a bottle of wine on the Good Friday........:err:

Ha-ha!, well, they're a very religious lot up there!.

Generally I do think that Australians have different body clocks to the Brits. Even after a long work day I'll sit on the deck with a few stubbies and my lap-top whilst our street is as silent as a grave. It's kind of nice at times to have the quiteness but sometimes it reminds me of that film 28 Days Later! :unsure:

We used to live on the Sun Coast and a couple of years ago we had a huge group of friends/family over from the UK. We all went to this restaurant on Kawana Island, 17 of us all together spent way over $1500. 9:00 o'clock arrives and we decide on another few bottles of wine ect, to be told "sorry we're closing now." Everyone from the UK truly believed the staff were joking. Seriously thought there was going to be a lynching when the penny dropped that they really were closing.

Ha-ha!, well, they're a very religious lot up there!.

Generally I do think that Australians have different body clocks to the Brits. Even after a long work day I'll sit on the deck with a few stubbies and my lap-top whilst our street is as silent as a grave. It's kind of nice at times to have the quiteness but sometimes it reminds me of that film 28 Days Later! :unsure:

We found it like that most of the time.....we never saw anyone out and about on foot, everyone drives everywhere.There are no foot paths though so that is proably why. Never heard children playing out in gardens or in the street. It was so eerie, we like peace and quiet but it really was ridiculous. We questioned this and we were told that most walkers go out at 5am....! They seemed to think we meant a walking group they just don't get the concept of walking from A to B.

Women shopping in pajamas and slippers.

Well, I've NEVER seen that either. Maybe Tasmania is too cold.

The first time I ever heard it mentioned was on the UK "Grumpy Old Women" TV program when they mentioned going out early on Christmas Eve morning to do the food shopping, with pyjamas on under their overcoats.

Well, I've NEVER seen that either. Maybe Tasmania is too cold.

The first time I ever heard it mentioned was on the UK "Grumpy Old Women" TV program when they mentioned going out early on Christmas Eve morning to do the food shopping, with pyjamas on under their overcoats.

Been to Perth :laugh:

Guest guest57588
We found it like that most of the time.....we never saw anyone out and about on foot, everyone drives everywhere.There are no foot paths though so that is proably why. Never heard children playing out in gardens or in the street. It was so eerie, we like peace and quiet but it really was ridiculous. We questioned this and we were told that most walkers go out at 5am....! They seemed to think we meant a walking group they just don't get the concept of walking from A to B.

Haha!, reminds me of one of my first times in Oz years ago. We stopped with the in-laws in Arundal on the Gold Coast and I had shocking jet-lag. I remember when I announced I was going for a stroll at about 9 in the evening they looked at me with horror!. My FIL actually said to me "Oh I wouldn't, it's very dangerous!"

I suppose he must have meant the lack of pavements and street lights on their estate!

Afraid very much the case and the one thing I'll never get used to. I live inner city Perth and not perhaps as quiet as you find but walking as I do a lot can pass next to no one once away from the area people walk their dogs.

Indeed for a nation of so many young kids so few are seen out. Kids far too overprotected in my view.

Archived