Miserable and bored

Guest davethebear

good round up there fishy

I'm a big fan of Foreign Correspondant, 7.30 (no longer 'report'; was much better with Kerry O'Brien) and ABC News Breakfast with the ice queen Virginia Triolli. I think Kerry and Virginia are class acts, and often others around them look amateurish and thick by comparison. Without these shows I would have taken a cricket bat to my telly.

I absolutely refuse to watch ANYTHING on channels 7,9 and 10. Sorry, they just make me feel ill: a mixture of high blood pressure and gut-wrenching nausea.

Personally I cannot see the point of Angry Beast: either it should be entirely comedy or entirely current affairs, or entirely satire, but it chooses to juxtapose comedy sketches with serious reportage and the result is jarringly naff IMO. The Chasers were funny til they got too big.

'Australian story' is just a bit too samey for me: too many of the stories seem to portray prominent Australians with 'connections'

Foreign Correspondent is great isn't it. 7.30 (Report) was always going to miss Kerry O'Briens gravitas....he was simply superb and world class....but it is still a good show. I also have a lot of time for the excellent Dateline, and Lateline is often good too. SBS world news is far better than the commercial channels and love the other SBS news shows. I enjoy Q&A sometimes when they don't have too many ultra conservative idiots on who make me shout at the telly. I find Australia Story still does a mix of normal people as well. For example the last 4 episodes are Robert Farquharson who drove his sons into the river, the life of the army diver attacked by a shark, Jade Hopper marked out as an up and coming tennis player, and the excellent episode on Nicolas Cowdery, Australia's longest serving DPP and his controversial career. I prefer watching on iView so I can pick and choose episodes.

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am only going to be quick.

I posted on here about 6 months or so ago, about how I was considering moving back to the UK. Well I think that in the next month or so I shall be flying on the big bird. I have been in Oz over three years now and have been living for the last year in Sydney after moving from Victoria.

The only easy way that I can describe how I feel is BORED, MISERABLE and SOULLESS, to the extent of utter depression. I have tried to get to grips with the Aussie way, but I really feel that it is not for me anymore. I am not saying that I am the most intelligent person on the planet, but I know that I am good company, I can hold a conversation, have a great sense of humour, and I am interested to learn all the time, especially when engaged in a great meaningful and enjoyable conversation....but when I say conversation, I mean a two way conversation.

Has anybody ever tried to hold an interesting conversation while they are here? Of course they have..........When you talk to someone and ask questions about them, do you expect the same in return to keep the conversation going? Of course you do.........Because that is how conversation works.........You say something, and then in return the other person adds something else, then the discussion/conversation builds up. Hopefully on occasions you may even get a really interesting conversation taking place, have a few bevvies and the night flows along nicely.

So why can't Australians do this then? It is probably one of the easiest things a person can do and doesn't even cost any money. So apart from the AFL, NRL and other sports, there are a lot of other topics that can be part of a general discussion. I am at a total loss of the total inability of most people here who struggle to even know what the hell is going on in the world, either politically, historically, culturally, or indeed any other word ending with ally. I am 46 and are quite capable of conversing with people from a wide age range, which comes in very handy, especially as I also perform stand up comedy and have done so in numerous countries in the world.

But in all my years I have never felt so frustrated and disengaged. I have had better conversations with folks who cannot even speak English in other parts of the globe, and great laughs to go with it.

I am not meaning to be disrespectful, I think Oz is a beautiful country, the people are so friendly, but there is a lack of UMPH. I just wanted to say how I was feeling and to let other people know that they are not alone if they feel the same way as what I do.

Yours,

Peed off........................

I think a lot of what you say could apply to many Brits as well. I'm thinking of spending a few years in the UK after 30 years in beautiful Sydney, and one of my concerns is the people. Quite often the attitude of Brits is "wogs begin at Calais", which is unlikely to change, and although I agree that the odd Aussie isn't the best informed about what goes on in the world, I'm not sure Brits are much better. Sounds like you didn't find what you were looking for in Australia. I'm presently in the UK and enjoying the pubs etc. but the locals are more interested in themselves than they are in me. I've always found Aussies a mixed bag, no different from anywhere else. Compared to US though, Australia is full of world scholars.

Guest Guest37175
Here are some I know. I think the lineup is excellent for a country of this size. Just as satisfying as when I lived in the UK if not stronger in some areas.

George Negus at 6:30pm (C10)

Anything with George Negus is worth watching. Early days so hopefully he can make it work.

60 minutes (C9)

Occasionally has a story worth watching.

Lateline (ABC )

Ali Moore does a great job of presenting in-depth stories on local and international affairs.

Lateline Business (ABC)

Roundup of business and economic news locally and around the world.

ABC News 24 (ABC)

A mixture of rolling news and specific news features throughout the day (local and international). New and still finding its feet.

ABC National Evening News (ABC News 24)

Roundup of local and international news.

7:30 Report (ABC)

Great professional current affairs show covering local and international stories presented by the excellent Leigh Sales. Highly Recommended.

Foreign Correspondent (ABC)

Fantastic in-depth stories on current affairs around the world - Was the baby of George Negus for many years but now hosted by Eric Campbell. Very high standard. Highly Recommended.

Four Corners (ABC)

Excellent Panorama style show with very in-depth investigative reporting. Highly Recommended.

Q&A (ABC)

Tony Jones does a fantastic job managing the mix of politicians, journalists, eminent Australians and the studio audience in this often excellent panel show (somewhat like Question Time) discussing the hot topics of today. Highly Recommended.

Australian Story (ABC)

A whole show dedicated to an in-depth look into one Australians life. Beautifully done. Highly Recommended.

Inside Business (ABC)

Alan Kohler reports and comments in detail on current business affairs.

Insiders (ABC)

Barrie Cassidy talks to journalists and other "insiders" on the politics and machinations of current events.

Hungry Beast (ABC) A contemporary discussion of current events mixed with comedy.

World News Australia (SBS) - A great nightly roundup of international and local news.

News Relays (SBS) - SBS has for years shown various news broadcasts from around the world in their native language. I watch these sometimes as you would be surprised how much you can pick up even when not in English. My wife thinks I'm crazy.

The Journal (SBS) - The english edition of DW news from Germany. Often interesting.

PBS Newshour (SBS) - The fantastic news show from the famous Jim Lehrer*of the USA. I really like this one.

Living Black (SBS) - Interesting new stories from an indigenous perspective.

Global Village (SBS) - Silvio Rivier presents stories from around the world in his charming understated way.

DateLine (SBS) - The absolutely great international current affairs show that looks in-depth at news stories around the world. Presented by the excellent Mark Davis. Highly recommend this one.

These are all free to air. Of course if you have pay-tv you have other options as well.

Thanks Fish. Will check these out. Gotta be better than 'A Current Affair' specials on cricketer's girlfriends or the bedroom antics of AFL players :wacko:

I am only going to be quick.

I posted on here about 6 months or so ago, about how I was considering moving back to the UK. Well I think that in the next month or so I shall be flying on the big bird. I have been in Oz over three years now and have been living for the last year in Sydney after moving from Victoria.

The only easy way that I can describe how I feel is BORED, MISERABLE and SOULLESS, to the extent of utter depression. I have tried to get to grips with the Aussie way, but I really feel that it is not for me anymore. I am not saying that I am the most intelligent person on the planet, but I know that I am good company, I can hold a conversation, have a great sense of humour, and I am interested to learn all the time, especially when engaged in a great meaningful and enjoyable conversation....but when I say conversation, I mean a two way conversation.

Has anybody ever tried to hold an interesting conversation while they are here? Of course they have..........When you talk to someone and ask questions about them, do you expect the same in return to keep the conversation going? Of course you do.........Because that is how conversation works.........You say something, and then in return the other person adds something else, then the discussion/conversation builds up. Hopefully on occasions you may even get a really interesting conversation taking place, have a few bevvies and the night flows along nicely.

So why can't Australians do this then? It is probably one of the easiest things a person can do and doesn't even cost any money. So apart from the AFL, NRL and other sports, there are a lot of other topics that can be part of a general discussion. I am at a total loss of the total inability of most people here who struggle to even know what the hell is going on in the world, either politically, historically, culturally, or indeed any other word ending with ally. I am 46 and are quite capable of conversing with people from a wide age range, which comes in very handy, especially as I also perform stand up comedy and have done so in numerous countries in the world.

But in all my years I have never felt so frustrated and disengaged. I have had better conversations with folks who cannot even speak English in other parts of the globe, and great laughs to go with it.

I am not meaning to be disrespectful, I think Oz is a beautiful country, the people are so friendly, but there is a lack of UMPH. I just wanted to say how I was feeling and to let other people know that they are not alone if they feel the same way as what I do.

Yours,

Peed off........................

I understand you are peed off and may want to go back to all you knew and loved back in blighty, but I suspect you may be so engrossed in your plight for stimulating conversation that you may well be forgetting many of the reasons you left England in the first place, after all if it was so great why are you here and why for so long?

Many people come here and miss friends, family and familiarity, I sure do - and yes the Aussies can be guarded at times and may seem difficult to integrate with - but often for good reason. Australia has seen the biggest influx of migrants any country has ever seen. In the UK for instance I lost count of the amount of prejudiced opinions I encountered regarding the Polish and Eastern European migrants that we're entering the country, they got the blame for everything from unemployment figures to it raining on a Sunday morning - Australia to a degree suffers the same prejudices especially now that the recession appears to be actually having some effect here. Also as we all know migrants tend to come and go, floating by as they wander on their quest for happiness, it's hardly likely on that basis that the average aussie is going to be wide armed welcoming you in to the bossom of their life.

I'm a pom living in Perth and have only been here for coming up to a year, and yes I do miss home sometimes, but that mostly derives from having little family other than a brother-in-law, and fewer friends here. The quality of life here in Australia is so far out in front of that in the UK. Victoria, and Melbourne specifically has been voted as being one of the most liveable cities in the world for many years. We have made a small but good bunch of pommie friends and we have a social circle which is not so dissimilar to that in the UK. Life here is tough sometimes, but pretty fantastic most of the time!

I'd be interested to hear how you get on and especially a post 6 months after getting back to the UK! The best of luck to you whatever you decide! :smile:

Adam, you say that "the quality of life here in Australia is so far out in front of that in the UK”

I'm not sure that this is true for every-one, as the opportunities and lifestyle in Australia may be different, but they are not necessarily better in all cases. I moved to another area of the UK some years ago, and found what I was looking for a few hundred miles from where I was born and brought up. My family are happy and settled here, with regular trips to and from close relatives. The local schools are good, the beaches are beautiful, we work hours that fit in with our family life…..just some of the reasons why we value our quality of life here in the UK.

Having made a number of trips Down Under we do love Australia, but as a holiday destination. For us the UK is ‘home’ and we are happy with all that living here has to offer. On the other hand, my relatives in WA are just as settled and happy, and definitely think they made the right decision in moving down under.

People are different. Australia offers some wonderful opportunities to those looking for adventure and a different lifestyle, but the UK has a lot to offer too. Even in these cash strapped difficult times.

Guest Bobby
I understand you are peed off and may want to go back to all you knew and loved back in blighty, but I suspect you may be so engrossed in your plight for stimulating conversation that you may well be forgetting many of the reasons you left England in the first place, after all if it was so great why are you here and why for so long?

Many people come here and miss friends, family and familiarity, I sure do - and yes the Aussies can be guarded at times and may seem difficult to integrate with - but often for good reason. Australia has seen the biggest influx of migrants any country has ever seen. In the UK for instance I lost count of the amount of prejudiced opinions I encountered regarding the Polish and Eastern European migrants that we're entering the country, they got the blame for everything from unemployment figures to it raining on a Sunday morning - Australia to a degree suffers the same prejudices especially now that the recession appears to be actually having some effect here. Also as we all know migrants tend to come and go, floating by as they wander on their quest for happiness, it's hardly likely on that basis that the average aussie is going to be wide armed welcoming you in to the bossom of their life.

I'm a pom living in Perth and have only been here for coming up to a year, and yes I do miss home sometimes, but that mostly derives from having little family other than a brother-in-law, and fewer friends here. The quality of life here in Australia is so far out in front of that in the UK. Victoria, and Melbourne specifically has been voted as being one of the most liveable cities in the world for many years. We have made a small but good bunch of pommie friends and we have a social circle which is not so dissimilar to that in the UK. Life here is tough sometimes, but pretty fantastic most of the time!

I'd be interested to hear how you get on and especially a post 6 months after getting back to the UK! The best of luck to you whatever you decide!

Quality of life for me is far better in London than in Oz and that's over 12 months, everyone is different mate.:smile:

I agree, my quality of life as an ageing retiree would be far better in UK than it is here. All of the things I want to do with my time are much better catered for there and one of my sons has found a far better career path in UK than he could have aspired to here - and he only went for a gap year, intending to return to Aus. Everyone has their own definitions of a "better lifestyle" and Aus certainly isnt mine!

Guest Bobby
I agree, my quality of life as an ageing retiree would be far better in UK than it is here. All of the things I want to do with my time are much better catered for there and one of my sons has found a far better career path in UK than he could have aspired to here - and he only went for a gap year, intending to return to Aus. Everyone has their own definitions of a "better lifestyle" and Aus certainly isnt mine!

Hi Ouoll, did your son go "wow" when he got to the UK, since I have been here I have met a lot of aussies that cannot get over how great the UK is especially London, quite a few say they would live in the UK if thyey had a chance as their is so much "life" especially for the younger set.

My quality of life was far better in the UK and I am looking forward to getting back there. Quality of life is a personal thing and lists and polls are meaningless.

Also is it only me who winces a bit when English people refer to each other as poms or pommies? It may be a supposed affectionate term but it does grate somewhat.

Guest guest36762
My quality of life was far better in the UK and I am looking forward to getting back there. Quality of life is a personal thing and lists and polls are meaningless.

Also is it only me who winces a bit when English people refer to each other as poms or pommies? It may be a supposed affectionate term but it does grate somewhat.

I'd get over it...you pommy bastard:chatterbox:

Guest guest36762
Well I've only got 4weeks of being a 'pom' left. Happy days :-)

hey pommy, have you ever heard of the thanks button?:swoon:

Hi Ouoll, did your son go "wow" when he got to the UK, since I have been here I have met a lot of aussies that cannot get over how great the UK is especially London, quite a few say they would live in the UK if thyey had a chance as their is so much "life" especially for the younger set.

We went back to Scotland in November last year for 4 weeks. Our son asked if his friend (Australian) could come with us..........................he had been to the usual haunts of Bali but never any further afield and so wanted to visit the UK, especially London..........(where every Australian wants to be).......suffice to say that he absolutely LOVED London....(it was Wow, wow, wow all the way)....... and started making concrete plans to return to London after schooling was finished (As nearly every Australian does)....................

It is now April and we are weeks away from returning to Scotland and the good friend of my son (who I now term my Australian son) has just informed me that he is returning to Scotland too (not London as was talked about)....................when he is finished his schooling of course.

I am more than happy for him to come and live with us .................................. That is the great thing about this small world we live in. We have opportunities galore to travel, stay, enjoy and return, if we want, to the countries that we originally came from.

Pretty much. He certainly did when he moved to a job in London which was a couple of months after he arrived. He really enjoyed London and did voluntary work as well as his day job and both of them were great career moves. He isnt a great party boy but he loves good restaurants, gigs, markets, carnivals etc and he enjoys being able to take weekend breaks with his fiancee on the continent or anywhere in UK.

He came back with me for Christmas this year and could hardly wait to get on the plane to go "home" he was bored witless here even though he was out and about quite a bit. I dont think they will be back here for quite some time.

You can compare the two countries until the cows come home or maybe they will choose to stay!

They are very different places, each state in Australia is different, each county in the UK is different. Each person is different with different needs and wants.

I am more than happy with my life in Melbourne, it is for me the most liveable city in the world, offically voted No. 2 but we will work on that. There may be somewhere in the world that I would enjoy living more like tea4too who didnt have to move that far. Their life sounds fantastic and thats great for them saves a lot on flights home to see the family! But im not going to travel the world looking for something better. We all know where we want to be. Someone said to me recently only make a decision if your head and heart are pointing in the same direction and your gut agrees.

If you are unhappy in Australia for God sake do something about it, you moved once, you can do it again. If you want to leave the UK and try something different do all you can to make it happen. The only thing that annoys me is people saying negative things about each country. My country Northern Ireland for all its problems done me no harm and I wouldnt say a bad thing about it. It is what it is and I am proud of my heritage. I didnt leave because I hated it, I left to do something different and challenge myself.

Guest Guest37175
hey pommy, have you ever heard of the thanks button?:swoon:

You great thanker you.....alright, I will actually get me coat this time :GEEK:

Guest alig44

Couldn't agree more and I wish I was on that plane with you back to civilisation! My OH is of the same mind. Despite being here almost 3 years and initially relishing the chance of getting to grips with our new life, we have found exactly the same problems as you. We may speak the same language as Australians, but thats where the similarity ends.

Dont get me wrong, Australia is a beautiful country and if you are a beach-loving, sporty type you would probably love it here; but if, like us, you love culture, history and intelligent conversation over a warm beer, then its not the place for you. For us, we made a mistake. Its not a crime to admit it, but it would be if we were to stay, waste years trying to 'fit in' and not be true to ourselves. As soon as events allow we will be back on the next plane out of here and try to find our 'new life' back in the 'old country' - and I am so looking forward to it.

I hope you are succesful in doing the same.

Out of interest? Has anyone considered going home not from the uk? Irish or any other other nationalities?

I'm always surprised when people go to a country that speaks the same language but are shocked to find it is culturally different, well of course it is. Australia isn't everyone's cuppa, same goes for lots of countries. Its all down to personal preference and how you choose to live your life. But I find it a bit objectionable that a people are deeming Australians as unintelligent, beer swilling, sports fanatics, talk about limited perspective. Any country can fulfil a stereotype if you have your blinkers on.

I wonder if many people who find the place culturally or historically lacking have invested time in seeking out cultural pursuits? There is so much to see and do. While the culture/cultural dialogue may present itself in a different way it is there. It irks me that people go to a country, don't integrate, make friends or join clubs (that interest them) and say that the country is uninspiring. I tend to think those who are not stimulated by life especially in such a culturally rich country are lacking a bit of "joie de vivre" and if its not that then perhaps its just outright homesickness. But I don't think the country or its people are to blame and its certainly not lack of culture. Dylan Thomas said it right, "Somebody's boring me; I think it's me"...I think that if you waste your time in a country lamenting its woes and not doing anything about it you'll regret it.

I understand that some people may not feel at home in a country, endeavour to settle in but it just doesn't feel right. But to say a country is lacking in culture is a bit of a cop out.

Out of interest? Has anyone considered going home not from the uk? Irish or any other other nationalities?

I'm always surprised when people go to a country that speaks the same language but are shocked to find it is culturally different, well of course it is. Australia isn't everyone's cuppa, same goes for lots of countries. Its all down to personal preference and how you choose to live your life. But I find it a bit objectionable that a people are deeming Australians as unintelligent, beer swilling, sports fanatics, talk about limited perspective. Any country can fulfil a stereotype if you have your blinkers on.

I wonder if many people who find the place culturally or historically lacking have invested time in seeking out cultural pursuits? There is so much to see and do. While the culture/cultural dialogue may present itself in a different way it is there. It irks me that people go to a country, don't integrate, make friends or join clubs (that interest them) and say that the country is uninspiring. I tend to think those who are not stimulated by life especially in such a culturally rich country are lacking a bit of "joie de vivre" and if its not that then perhaps its just outright homesickness. But I don't think the country or its people are to blame and its certainly not lack of culture. Dylan Thomas said it right, "Somebody's boring me; I think it's me"...I think that if you waste your time in a country lamenting its woes and not doing anything about it you'll regret it.

I understand that some people may not feel at home in a country, endeavour to settle in but it just doesn't feel right. But to say a country is lacking in culture is a bit of a cop out.

Cant talk for anyone else but I exhausted myself with effort. Went to everything I was invited to, invited people to join us, joined clubs, went to every exhibition and concert that was available. Still didn't feel the same. Went to the O2 in London last week - was blown away by the atmosphere and the crowd.

Nothing is as simple as it seems I am afraid - normally down to individual circumstances, preferences etc.

Well said Pinup, I also am getting very tired of reading posts questioning the intelligence of us ozzies.

If I was actually sitting there constructing some of these posts declaring the poms were a bunch of thickos there would be a riot on this forum.

Every new migrant is entitled to discover that Australia is for or not for them, but to insult the intelligence of the native people is sheer arrogance in my opinion and to be honest I then start questioning their adequacy and intelligence themselves.

Their own Mensa rating is not shining through thats for sure!

KOS

Archived