Miserable and bored

Guest davethebear

So lets put it another way your kids teeth are crooked & they fall into the bracket of free nhs but it does not apply to all.

That maybe so but we certainly would have paid for this level of treatment in Oz. Not really a key factor to us just an observation.

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Susie, you forgot to mention those chips/fries and mayonnaise type cream they come with you can buy by the side of the road. Yummy, one habit I have kept up ! Amsterdam.....mmmmm, some good memories from there.:biggrin:

Guest siamsusie
Susie, you forgot to mention those chips/fries and mayonnaise type cream they come with you can buy by the side of the road. Yummy, one habit I have kept up ! Amsterdam.....mmmmm, some good memories from there.:biggrin:

Oh goodness and the Haring stalls.. this one is at the end of my Oma's road..

4404904374_e16db3d68d.jpg

AMS-04-26-07-122.jpg

:cry::cry:

My quality of life was far better in the UK and I am looking forward to getting back there. Quality of life is a personal thing and lists and polls are meaningless.

Also is it only me who winces a bit when English people refer to each other as poms or pommies? It may be a supposed affectionate term but it does grate somewhat.

I think you are taking it all too seriously! You are on 'Poms in Oz' - deal with it and be happy. Good luck in England and good luck under that 'Coalition Farmyard' Government!:twitcy:

Guest Katye21
Things you'll notice about Aussies.......Meant in a fond way as I have many freinds in Oz :cute: anyone noticed any of these.

These people WILL AND CAN talk cricket. What field placements mean, strengths and weaknesses of bowlers and pitches, good and bad captaincy.

The vaccuous look in their eyes at times. Especially when you discuss politics, education, philosophy, intelligence, world affairs etc, etc.

The way they laugh at the most inappropriate moments, In the middle of a semi serious conversation after listening for 10 minutes without contributing anything of value the Aussie will burst out laughing for no reason!!!

Why? Did he just get a joke someone told him last week? :cute:

Ha ha love it!

Guest Katye21
Couldn't agree more and I wish I was on that plane with you back to civilisation! My OH is of the same mind. Despite being here almost 3 years and initially relishing the chance of getting to grips with our new life, we have found exactly the same problems as you. We may speak the same language as Australians, but thats where the similarity ends.

Dont get me wrong, Australia is a beautiful country and if you are a beach-loving, sporty type you would probably love it here; but if, like us, you love culture, history and intelligent conversation over a warm beer, then its not the place for you. For us, we made a mistake. Its not a crime to admit it, but it would be if we were to stay, waste years trying to 'fit in' and not be true to ourselves. As soon as events allow we will be back on the next plane out of here and try to find our 'new life' back in the 'old country' - and I am so looking forward to it.

I hope you are succesful in doing the same.

You have just described in just one sentence of your post what I have been feeling for years but not able to put my finger on - I am not sporty, beach loving or love steak etc I love history, culture, intelligent chats and to have a good laugh. Amen to you, thank you for pointing out to me the exact reasons why I still feel so homesick! I too am leaving on the next plane that we can afford tickets for although this may take a couple of years to afford lol!

You have just described in just one sentence of your post what I have been feeling for years but not able to put my finger on - I am not sporty, beach loving or love steak etc I love history, culture, intelligent chats and to have a good laugh. Amen to you, thank you for pointing out to me the exact reasons why I still feel so homesick! I too am leaving on the next plane that we can afford tickets for although this may take a couple of years to afford lol!

There is nothing wrong with admitting that OZ is not for you. But to use intelligence or lack of as a reason is very insulting. I should know, being Irish I have heard them all and it gets a bit boring after a while.

Just chiming in about Amsterdam. My favourite city. I lived there for 5 years in my 20's and never thought I would leave. Its still the place I consider 'home' even though its not where I was born or brought up. Its the one place I truly fell for city wise and its wonderful. Its culture and history are amazing.

Many tourists only see the surface, the touristy areas and the red light districts. Well, many stag weekends and those sorts of things :laugh: but there is so much more to the city than that. I only ever ventured into those areas when I had friends visiting from the UK and they wanted to see it all :err: Otherwise I went native, learnt the language, got a job, apartment and a bike and cycled everywhere.

Hubby and I talked about moving there a few years ago. As much as I love the city, I know its not right for us as a family to live there now. I think had I not left when I did, I'd probably still be there. I never tired of it and always enjoy visiting.

Guest Katye21
There is nothing wrong with admitting that OZ is not for you. But to use intelligence or lack of as a reason is very insulting. I should know, being Irish I have heard them all and it gets a bit boring after a while.

Hi Danny

I don't think Australians are unintelligent, but I do believe the schooling is much better in the UK (I should know, I have had schooling in both places). It was a family choice to move to Australia - I moved here with my parents when I was 11.

I don't blame other people for wanting to be here, everybody's idea of paradise is different. My parents love it here and would never move back, because they have found their paradise. I haven't.

I find I cannot have a conversation with a lot of Australians, and it is not due to their lack of intelligence, it is due to the fact that usually they'd rather be doing something else than having a chat - possibly surfing or eating a barbeque dinner. Fair enough, but I value conversation and I value family time (which there is a lot of in the UK thanks to the cold weather - winter is not a place to spend outdoors surfing), I value beautiful rolling countryside without thousands of eucalyptus trees (otherwise known as 'the bush') in the way, I value the lifestyle that the UK can povide me with just like my parents value the lifestyle Australia provides them with.

I am so happy for my parents and I am happy for others who have found Australia to be their home and their paradise, I just want to return to mine. I apologise if I sound narrowminded but I do believe that Australians and Brits are two different species, yes there are some familiarities, but I, myself, find that I do not in general rub along that well with Aussies (bar my husband, I am in a happy marriage lol) :wink:. They are not nasty, they are not unintelligent, they are not bums (although the latter is quite a widespread perception), but I merely don't find the same comraderie in Aussies, and I do not feel at home here.

I wish everyone well though whatever their decision, my opinion is merely an opinion, not the facts and it is coming from me, a single person. Not everyone's views are the same, but everyone deserves to be happy where they live as this is a basis for a true happy life.

Hi Danny

I don't think Australians are unintelligent, but I do believe the schooling is much better in the UK (I should know, I have had schooling in both places). It was a family choice to move to Australia - I moved here with my parents when I was 11.

I don't blame other people for wanting to be here, everybody's idea of paradise is different. My parents love it here and would never move back, because they have found their paradise. I haven't.

I find I cannot have a conversation with a lot of Australians, and it is not due to their lack of intelligence, it is due to the fact that usually they'd rather be doing something else than having a chat - possibly surfing or eating a barbeque dinner. Fair enough, but I value conversation and I value family time (which there is a lot of in the UK thanks to the cold weather - winter is not a place to spend outdoors surfing), I value beautiful rolling countryside without thousands of eucalyptus trees (otherwise known as 'the bush') in the way, I value the lifestyle that the UK can povide me with just like my parents value the lifestyle Australia provides them with.

I am so happy for my parents and I am happy for others who have found Australia to be their home and their paradise, I just want to return to mine. I apologise if I sound narrowminded but I do believe that Australians and Brits are two different species, yes there are some familiarities, but I, myself, find that I do not in general rub along that well with Aussies (bar my husband, I am in a happy marriage lol) :wink:. They are not nasty, they are not unintelligent, they are not bums (although the latter is quite a widespread perception), but I merely don't find the same comraderie in Aussies, and I do not feel at home here.

I wish everyone well though whatever their decision, my opinion is merely an opinion, not the facts and it is coming from me, a single person. Not everyone's views are the same, but everyone deserves to be happy where they live as this is a basis for a true happy life.

Just as a matter of interest, have you been back to the UK since you were 11. Are your memories from back then or are they more recent?

Guest Katye21
Just as a matter of interest, have you been back to the UK since you were 11. Are your memories from back then or are they more recent?

Hiya

No not to live, but to holiday yes, twice. And I went in the dead of winter and the second time I went at the back of winter. I hope I don't sound naieve the way I am writing my posts, but I do understand the economic climate over there, and I am not ignoring issues such as this.

Home is where the heart is, and every time I come back to Australia I still leave my heart over in the UK. I think my memories are a mixture of holidays and of living there, however I understand it's not a complete rosy picture, I just want to be where my home is, simple as that.

My husband and myself both want our little family unit to be wherever we are happiest - we may not be happiest there and may come back - who knows what the future holds - but I don't want to be a what if person. We are young enough at the moment to make the move and move back without it harming us too deeply and neither of us are afraid to express our views to the other so if we're unhappy there we will return (even if it's just one of us), but I want to be able to say we gave it a try.

if we're unhappy there we will return (even if it's just one of us), but I want to be able to say we gave it a try.

Do you not think this part is a worry? You are telling him you don't like living in Aus & are you also telling him be happy in the UK or he is on his own?

Maybe he will not like living in the UK any more than you like it in Aus.

It is a beautiful city Snifter (gezellige) !

It is, most definately. It captured my heart the moment I arrived for a short visit during a long trip across Europe one summer and so some months later I arrived back to spend a little longer there. 6 months or so ended up being 5 years. It was home from the moment I arrived. Very few places ever have that for me but Amsterdam certainly did.

I saw a fair bit of other parts of the Netherlands, north sailing on the canals and out at sea, right down south and also Rotterdam (which made me appreciate Amsterdam more :cute: ) and a few other larger towns/cities.

I know I shall never live there again, life changed, things happened and I am very happy and looking forward to moving to Adelaide next year, but the happiest time of my life as an adult, outside of the happiness family and friends can give you, the happiness from loving a place, all it had to offer, was spent in Amsterdam. No other place has given me so much and made me feel so complete in terms of myself as an individual.

Guest Sk1ppy

I think ur being very disrespectful to aussies. I am one myself and have never had any problems conversing with people whether their aussies or british. Just because you've had a bad experience in Australia it doesnt give you the right to slag us off!

I think ur being very disrespectful to aussies. I am one myself and have never had any problems conversing with people whether their aussies or british. Just because you've had a bad experience in Australia it doesnt give you the right to slag us off!

Have you not yet realized, that is what this section of the forum is for :biggrin:

Guest The Ropey HOFF

All the Aussie i met in Perth and Brisbane were really nice and friendly and seemed genuinely interested in us and asked us at length what we had planned, i found them to be just as nice as folk in the uk..............

Ive met some really nice people in Australia, I've also met some pricks, probably the same ratio as any country I've been including the UK.

People are people, there's good uns and bad uns.

But I am looking forward to being amongst 'my' people and that's what's important.

Archived