Miserable and bored

Guest davethebear

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest guest30038
Well here in Perth today, its $1.32 a litre and it hasnt rained for TEN weeks so pretty close:jiggy:

The rain is coming down your way. The poms will moan about the rain now, after they've been moaning about the dry :wink:

kev

The rain is coming down your way. The poms will moan about the rain now, after they've been moaning about the dry :wink:

kev

I must say, one of my biggest eye openers since moving over here is that, despite the fact we are called whinging poms, I have never heard a nation moan more than the Australians. Its an artform.

yet they don't acknowledge that they do it at all.

Dont get me wrong, I love 'em and their country and am grateful for their hospitality, but they are world champions when it comes to the whinge. :biggrin::biggrin:

Im pleased for you.

When I get home 45mins drive would be able to get me to probably 7 different cities. In fact I've flown to Amsterdam in 50minutes.

One of the many reasons I'm going home.

Don't know where you live Chris but do you travel in the middle of the night or something?

45 mins to get to 7 different cities? We were there on holiday 5 years ago and we were travelling from Manchester to Tolpuddle to stay with my wife's Sister. There was a crash on the M6 and it took us 2 hrs to get out of a service station and 9 hrs to get from Manchester to Tolpuddle.

I used to work in London in the 80's and it could take you 45 mins to drive round to get a parking space and then have to walk back home from wherever you had to park the car.

You might be able to fly to Amsterdam in 50minutes but you still have to get to the airport, pay the taxi or parking, check in 2 hours before travel, get to wherever you're going when you get to amsterdam and it's still not going to be as nice as Perth.

Guest siamsusie
Don't know where you live Chris but do you travel in the middle of the night or something?

45 mins to get to 7 different cities? We were there on holiday 5 years ago and we were travelling from Manchester to Tolpuddle to stay with my wife's Sister. There was a crash on the M6 and it took us 2 hrs to get out of a service station and 9 hrs to get from Manchester to Tolpuddle.

I used to work in London in the 80's and it could take you 45 mins to drive round to get a parking space and then have to walk back home from wherever you had to park the car.

You might be able to fly to Amsterdam in 50minutes but you still have to get to the airport, pay the taxi or parking, check in 2 hours before travel, get to wherever you're going when you get to amsterdam and it's still not going to be as nice as Perth.

:laugh:Steady give me Amsterdam anyday:biggrin::biggrin: no comparison!!

Perth V Amsterdam - no contest.

I come from near Bradford, I can get to Bradford, Leeds, York, Sheffield, Manchester, Wakefield, Huddersfield (ok not technically a city) plus manymore interesting towns and villages within 45 minutes

In the middle of the night maybe, even then you would be pushing it. I come from Chesterfield and used to go to Sheffield often. On a good day it can take 30mins. on a bad day it can take 2 hours.

I can see why you would want to get out of Bradford though.

As far as the Amsterdam v Perth thing I still reckon Perth wins hands down. Amsterdam is just another dirty european City. What do you do when you get there? go shopping?

I felt the same way about Paris and London by the way, didn't like either of them. My favourite place for a holiday was the Algarve, so you can see why I like Perth.:biggrin:

Guest siamsusie
In the middle of the night maybe, even then you would be pushing it. I come from Chesterfield and used to go to Sheffield often. On a good day it can take 30mins. on a bad day it can take 2 hours.

I can see why you would want to get out of Bradford though.

As far as the Amsterdam v Perth thing I still reckon Perth wins hands down. Amsterdam is just another dirty european City. What do you do when you get there? go shopping?

I felt the same way about Paris and London by the way, didn't like either of them. My favourite place for a holiday was the Algarve, so you can see why I like Perth.:biggrin:

You are of course entitled to your opinion Paul but you are insulting my home country. Holland is actually an extremely clean country apart from the dog poo which of course we have pooper scoopers for:biggrin:.... as for as shopping is concerned, :cute: I have to say I do miss our individual shops, they are second to none and we are inundated with culture as a nation! Amsterdam is far more contrary to popular belief than the red light area, dope bars etc!

NB Plus we have Ajax! lol

Guest guest30038
You are of course entitled to your opinion Paul but you are insulting my home country. Holland is actually an extremely clean country l

When he said "dirty" he meant because of the inhabitants such as yourself :tongue: :biglaugh:

kev

Guest siamsusie
When he said "dirty" he meant because of the inhabitants such as yourself :tongue: :biglaugh:

kev

:huh:Oh! thats ok then!...:biggrin: I hadnt thought about that!!.

Anyway its a rather pointless argument Chris loves the Uk for ease of travel, totally understandable.. comparing Perth with Amsterdam is rather like comparing a Dewhurst Lamb chop with an Australian one:laugh:

Mock Bradford all you want, the city centre is a dump that has been shafted by Westfield of all companies but get out of the centre and it is quite beautiful, ilkley, skipton and saltaire are al wonderfull places with rich history and great landscapes.

Our posts just go to show how we are all different. I take it you love the beach life? Personally I find it rather dull and boring, give me a cultured city with history, museums, , art galleries, cafes and good restaurants, beautiful architechture (old and new) theatres, gig venues, vibe and yes decents shops, over a beach anyday of the week. And the thing is in the UK there is easy access to all of the above many times over.

As I say it really is each to there own. But one thing that cannot be denied is Perth is very isolated.

Guest guest36762
:laugh:Steady give me Amsterdam anyday:biggrin::biggrin: no comparison!!

You are of course entitled to your opinion Paul but you are insulting my home country. Holland is actually an extremely clean country apart from the dog poo which of course we have pooper scoopers for:biggrin:.... as for as shopping is concerned, :cute: I have to say I do miss our individual shops, they are second to none and we are inundated with culture as a nation! Amsterdam is far more contrary to popular belief than the red light area, dope bars etc!

NB Plus we have Ajax! lol

:huh:Oh! thats ok then!...:biggrin: I hadnt thought about that!!.

Anyway its a rather pointless argument Chris loves the Uk for ease of travel, totally understandable.. comparing Perth with Amsterdam is rather like comparing a Dewhurst Lamb chop with an Australian one:laugh:

everything OK SS?

I must say, one of my biggest eye openers since moving over here is that, despite the fact we are called whinging poms, I have never heard a nation moan more than the Australians. Its an artform.

yet they don't acknowledge that they do it at all.

Dont get me wrong, I love 'em and their country and am grateful for their hospitality, but they are world champions when it comes to the whinge. :biggrin::biggrin:

All people can whinge about things that bother them, i.e. their country's weather or politics, nationality has little to do with it. We (Australians) are no bigger whingers than any of the people I've met in other places I have lived in (or visited) around the world. Both Australians and Brits might be better off if we take nationality out of picture, and just say some people are 'whingers'. We all have a whinge about things from time to time, but if people are whinging in your ear all the time, give them the big heave ho.

All people can whinge about things that bother them, i.e. their country's weather or politics, nationality has little to do with it. We (Australians) are no bigger whingers than any of the people I've met in other places I have lived in (or visited) around the world. Both Australians and Brits might be better off if we take nationality out of picture, and just say some people are 'whingers'. We all have a whinge about things from time to time, but if people are whinging in your ear all the time, give them the big heave ho.

I agree entirely, but labelling us 'whinging poms' seems to imply its a trait not shared by them, when ironcially it is...and by everyone else, as you correctly pointed out.

Sorry but IMO singling us out only accentuates the whinging habbits of Austtralans. Well thats what has happened in my case.

Dont get me wrong I enjoy a good whinge, when the need arises. Actually I love it. Its cathartic. :biggrin:

However I find it boring being labelled a whinger ad nauseum, by the likes of "comedian" Dave "Hughesey" Hughes (as an example), when it actually come across as venomous, ignorant, insular and blinkered.

I've singled him out purely because he's a massive douche, but the same sentiment is shared by many people, some of whom unfortunately I have to interact with on a daily basis.

I think sadly that the society in general has become a bit 'moany' and it has become the thing to call others names, you see it on all the entertainment shows as well as others, these reality shows where people are being labelled as 'this' or 'that'. I understand where you are coming from, some people get their kicks from making comments about others, and they can be hard to avoid (comedians and radio shock jocks are a constant reminder of this, especially the likes of Kyle Sandilands, he makes his money calling other people names.

Guest siamsusie
everything OK SS?

:yes:Yes perfectly OK thanks Dom.

I have just asked an Australian, an ardent Australian, :laugh: my husband, what would be his choice , Amsterdam or Perth he said Amsterdam:embarrassed:.... :twitcy: why didnt he tell me this beforehand?:arghh:.

People must be very odd to even compare the two, they are both gorgeous:wacko:

We have been able to get in as NHS patients at a highly regarded dental surgery within weeks. Put on the list and got a phone call with a couple of weeks maybe we were just lucky. My daughter requires extensive care with yet another brace. Orthodonist care is great here and it is free for kids so takes the worry away of paying for it which we would have had to in Oz. We find the dental care here much better for us as a family. You are right about the hit and miss aspect though our previous surgery before going to Oz was average in comparsion to our new one.

Slight correction not free for kids (ortho) unless there is a rotation of teeth or worse normal over lapping you will pay for. course of treatment approx £2000.

:yes:Yes perfectly OK thanks Dom.

I have just asked an Australian, an ardent Australian, :laugh: my husband, what would be his choice , Amsterdam or Perth he said Amsterdam:embarrassed:.... :twitcy: why didnt he tell me this beforehand?:arghh:.

People must be very odd to even compare the two, they are both gorgeous:wacko:

Got to admit, only ever went to Amsterdam on a soccer tour and guess where we hung out.

Saw a lot of the inside of bars and clubs but we were only in our early 20's at the time. Had a good time by the way and found the dutch people to be great. Met a few dutch girls on holiday and they always seemed friendly and up for a laugh.

Don't tend to drink as much as UK girls but that can sometimes be a good thing.

Guest siamsusie
Got to admit, only ever went to Amsterdam on a soccer tour and guess where we hung out.

Saw a lot of the inside of bars and clubs but we were only in our early 20's at the time. Had a good time by the way and found the dutch people to be great. Met a few dutch girls on holiday and they always seemed friendly and up for a laugh.

Don't tend to drink as much as UK girls but that can sometimes be a good thing.

With over 65 theatres, 42 museums its alive with culture. My grand parents live in the Jordaan which is the artists area, that in itself is fascinating. Our canals and boat/ship life is a whole other world , the city is architecturally brilliant. I do miss popping over to Belgium for lunch, Germany /France for a weekend etc. Now this is probably why I am so comfortable in Van Diemen's land:biggrin:a little bit of home thousands of miles away.

With over 65 theatres, 42 museums its alive with culture. My grand parents live in the Jordaan which is the artists area, that in itself is fascinating. Our canals and boat/ship life is a whole other world , the city is architecturally brilliant. I do miss popping over to Belgium for lunch, Germany /France for a weekend etc. Now this is probably why I am so comfortable in Van Diemen's land:biggrin:a little bit of home thousands of miles away.

Went to Belgium (Ostend) on that same soccer tour. Our landlady in the "hotel" we stayed in warned us not to go to the docks area the first night we were there.

Headed straight down there and what an eye opener it was in the bars. More wild than Amsterdam at the time.

Great times.

Guest siamsusie

Being of a cultured disposition, I know not of what you talk!:tongue: your "youth" trip is out of my league, I was busy at finishing school learning how to pour a Kier Royale:biggrin:

Archived