Miserable and bored

Guest davethebear

Culturally, the litmus test is this: read an Australian newspaper, then an English one. Watch Australian TV, then English TV. Australian music, literature, films ... I could go on. In a sense it's not the fault of the people as myopia is a disease that comes from within. Quoll is so right about the egocentricity ... if I was a local I'd be embarrassed, but embarrassment is an emotion which is a quality not often seen in those unable to be emotive unless it's about THEM.

On the world stage, Australia does not matter.

Remember this quote by D. H Lawrence: 'I like Australia less and less. The hateful newness, the democratic conceit, every man a little pope of perfection.'

Call me a racist if you like - I've been called a lot worse ... by Australians.

Or Barry Humphries who said something like - "living in Australia is like going to an all night party and dancing with your Mum."

I am sure there are lots of intelligent and articulate Aussies but they aren't commonly found in the same way as in UK (everywhere). Kiwis are a pretty chatty bunch too.

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Bobby
I am only going to be quick.

I posted on here about 6 months or so ago, about how I was considering moving back to the UK. Well I think that in the next month or so I shall be flying on the big bird. I have been in Oz over three years now and have been living for the last year in Sydney after moving from Victoria.

The only easy way that I can describe how I feel is BORED, MISERABLE and SOULLESS, to the extent of utter depression. I have tried to get to grips with the Aussie way, but I really feel that it is not for me anymore. I am not saying that I am the most intelligent person on the planet, but I know that I am good company, I can hold a conversation, have a great sense of humour, and I am interested to learn all the time, especially when engaged in a great meaningful and enjoyable conversation....but when I say conversation, I mean a two way conversation.

Has anybody ever tried to hold an interesting conversation while they are here? Of course they have..........When you talk to someone and ask questions about them, do you expect the same in return to keep the conversation going? Of course you do.........Because that is how conversation works.........You say something, and then in return the other person adds something else, then the discussion/conversation builds up. Hopefully on occasions you may even get a really interesting conversation taking place, have a few bevvies and the night flows along nicely.

So why can't Australians do this then? It is probably one of the easiest things a person can do and doesn't even cost any money. So apart from the AFL, NRL and other sports, there are a lot of other topics that can be part of a general discussion. I am at a total loss of the total inability of most people here who struggle to even know what the hell is going on in the world, either politically, historically, culturally, or indeed any other word ending with ally. I am 46 and are quite capable of conversing with people from a wide age range, which comes in very handy, especially as I also perform stand up comedy and have done so in numerous countries in the world.

But in all my years I have never felt so frustrated and disengaged. I have had better conversations with folks who cannot even speak English in other parts of the globe, and great laughs to go with it.

I am not meaning to be disrespectful, I think Oz is a beautiful country, the people are so friendly, but there is a lack of UMPH. I just wanted to say how I was feeling and to let other people know that they are not alone if they feel the same way as what I do.

Yours,

Peed off........................

I get you 100%.. for a settled family Oz might be great...but...........for me as a young person compared to London Australia is dull and boring, that is my opinion and others will say different, but I find the pace of life so slow in Oz and after returning to London it is like breathing fresh air.

Or Barry Humphries who said something like - "living in Australia is like going to an all night party and dancing with your Mum."

I am sure there are lots of intelligent and articulate Aussies but they aren't commonly found in the same way as in UK (everywhere). Kiwis are a pretty chatty bunch too.

If you're suggesting the uk has a higher rate of intelligent people that is just thick :wink:

Guest guest36762
If you're suggesting the uk has a higher rate of intelligent people that is just thick :wink:

agreed, intelligence displays itself in different ways, depending on the environment.

so for example, if you live in a place with perpetual sunshine (apart from bushfires, cyclones and floods) your intelligence may be utilised in the practicalities of ute craft or boating logistics.

if you live in the dank, miserable overcrowded hell hole that is the UK, your intelligence is fine tuned towards verbal communication, interpersonal skills and conflict management

I get you 100%.. for a settled family Oz might be great...but...........for me as a young person compared to London Australia is dull and boring, that is my opinion and others will say different, but I find the pace of life so slow in Oz and after returning to London it is like breathing fresh air.

I might be completly wrong with this one but I will say it anyway. I am in the settled family bracket and it is great. I can understand the feelings of a young single person. I joined a few clubs just for something for me to do by myself but outside the nights we met there was nothing.

I dont like stereotyping people but most Australians seem to have a group of friends from school or wherever and thats it. I have a great group of friends in Ireland from school but others join and leave with ease and get treated as one of us on nights out etc. I have never had anyone here at work or anywhere saying we are going somewhere at the weekend do you want to come the way we would in Ireland.

The people are friendly and we have got to know some Australians dont get me wrong. But there is a difference in they way people are welcomed that you just wont get here. I will be friends with anyone if I get on with them no matter where they are from. But have found like so many others that you need the company of your fellow country men. I dont think there is anything wrong with that, from what I can see every nationality here seeks the same.

Now on to my 3rd post on this topic, but some things need to be said. Australians are getting a bad rap here. I don’t think they are less intelligent that anyone else. Some just choose to put their efforts into other things, like family time and the lighter side of life; having fun and not taking themselves to seriously. I would rather die after a long walk on the beach than a long chat about poll tax! Think about it....

agreed, intelligence displays itself in different ways, depending on the environment.

so for example, if you live in a place with perpetual sunshine (apart from bushfires, cyclones and floods) your intelligence may be utilised in the practicalities of ute craft or boating logistics.

if you live in the dank, miserable overcrowded hell hole that is the UK, your intelligence is fine tuned towards verbal communication, interpersonal skills and conflict management

I do agree that verbal communication and banter could be more fine tuned in a very crowded country. But I don't agree that it perpetuates itself in more conversations about world affairs. Millions of Australians live close to the centre of big cities with many spending their time drinking coffee, arguing about politicians, organsing their next overseas trip and discussing world affairs. There are just as many British who know little about world affairs, read News of the World/Mail/Sun etc and count intelligent discussion as a fresh angle on their moan about "Paki's" and Polish. Depends whether the person commenting counts the UK as a whole or just the switched on pocket they lived in - it certainly isn't all like that in my experience.

Dont judge a book an all that...... it depends what you are seeking to gain in order to be stimulated and is a total over exaggeration to pigeon hole all aussies in this way.

The world is full of light - seek out the corners and your sure to find a friend

At the same time I was moved by this thread and the fact that this person is very sad and feels for him that its time to leave... I as am sure many wish you all the luck back in the uk.

I might be completly wrong with this one but I will say it anyway. I am in the settled family bracket and it is great. I can understand the feelings of a young single person. I joined a few clubs just for something for me to do by myself but outside the nights we met there was nothing.

I dont like stereotyping people but most Australians seem to have a group of friends from school or wherever and thats it. I have a great group of friends in Ireland from school but others join and leave with ease and get treated as one of us on nights out etc. I have never had anyone here at work or anywhere saying we are going somewhere at the weekend do you want to come the way we would in Ireland.

The people are friendly and we have got to know some Australians dont get me wrong. But there is a difference in they way people are welcomed that you just wont get here. I will be friends with anyone if I get on with them no matter where they are from. But have found like so many others that you need the company of your fellow country men. I dont think there is anything wrong with that, from what I can see every nationality here seeks the same.

We used the term Teflon to describe relationships with Aussies very nice and friendly - but dont stick to me and I wont stick to you - probably worse on Sunshine Coast with very transient community.

I presume you're talking about 'metrosexuals' there. I don't think they are remotely representative of most Australians. I'm not suggesting that Brits are necessarily knowledgeable about world affairs as a rule, but I do believe the media in oz are more insular and parochial (this must have an effect), and the geographical isolation of Australia means that people's focus is naturally more Aussie-centric.

I certainly believe the Australian press some people on this thread seem to read/watch is more insular. Not sure how they miss all the great news/current affairs shows....maybe I should post some tips for them to get them past today tonight. :wink:

Well done on changing my broader demographic into young, well groomed people of the male gender....were you thinking of yourself harpy? :biglaugh:

You can spin it all you like mate, but my experience is that brits (talking mainly about oz vs uk men) are more passionate, more into verbal communication (=talking: an optional extra here, it seems). Leave racism aside, it exists in both countries, obviously

Bit of a waste starting with that 'spin' conversational device and then stating something I more or less agreed with in my previous post. You're making my head spin :huh::wubclub:

Guest Guest37175
I certainly believe the Australian press some people on this thread seem to read/watch is more insular. Not sure how they miss all the great news/current affairs shows....maybe I should post some tips for them to get them past today tonight. :wink:

Well done on changing my broader demographic into young, well groomed people of the male gender....were you thinking of yourself harpy? :biglaugh:

Bit of a waste starting with that 'spin' conversational device and then stating something I more or less agreed with in my previous post. You're making my head spin :huh::wubclub:

What shows were you thinking of Fish 01?

We used the term Teflon to describe relationships with Aussies very nice and friendly - but dont stick to me and I wont stick to you - probably worse on Sunshine Coast with very transient community.

I like that one. Another factor is that people seem to move suburb a lot. Most people I work with live somewhere different from where they did 10 years ago and talk about my friends when I lived here etc. It’s a bit different for rural victoria from what I hear but within Metro Melbourne this seems to be the case. Very different from Ireland and the UK where most people have a loyalty to the area they were born. I know only a few of my school friends have moved out of their home town. That’s something I never picked up on when we came for holidays, only when I moved here. But is another factor when analysing the way people approach relationships.

Guest Bobby

Things you'll notice about Aussies.......Meant in a fond way as I have many freinds in Oz :cute: anyone noticed any of these.

These people WILL AND CAN talk cricket. What field placements mean, strengths and weaknesses of bowlers and pitches, good and bad captaincy.

The vaccuous look in their eyes at times. Especially when you discuss politics, education, philosophy, intelligence, world affairs etc, etc.

The way they laugh at the most inappropriate moments, In the middle of a semi serious conversation after listening for 10 minutes without contributing anything of value the Aussie will burst out laughing for no reason!!!

Why? Did he just get a joke someone told him last week? :cute:

Guest guest36762
I'm imagining the embarrassment in the eyes of actual intelligent Brits when they read some of the comments in this thread by those who think they are. :wacko:

Yeah yeah yeah

Talk to the hand:wacko:

What shows were you thinking of Fish 01?

Here are some I know. I think the lineup is excellent for a country of this size. Just as satisfying as when I lived in the UK if not stronger in some areas.

George Negus at 6:30pm (C10)

Anything with George Negus is worth watching. Early days so hopefully he can make it work.

60 minutes (C9)

Occasionally has a story worth watching.

Lateline (ABC )

Ali Moore does a great job of presenting in-depth stories on local and international affairs.

Lateline Business (ABC)

Roundup of business and economic news locally and around the world.

ABC News 24 (ABC)

A mixture of rolling news and specific news features throughout the day (local and international). New and still finding its feet.

ABC National Evening News (ABC News 24)

Roundup of local and international news.

7:30 Report (ABC)

Great professional current affairs show covering local and international stories presented by the excellent Leigh Sales. Highly Recommended.

Foreign Correspondent (ABC)

Fantastic in-depth stories on current affairs around the world - Was the baby of George Negus for many years but now hosted by Eric Campbell. Very high standard. Highly Recommended.

Four Corners (ABC)

Excellent Panorama style show with very in-depth investigative reporting. Highly Recommended.

Q&A (ABC)

Tony Jones does a fantastic job managing the mix of politicians, journalists, eminent Australians and the studio audience in this often excellent panel show (somewhat like Question Time) discussing the hot topics of today. Highly Recommended.

Australian Story (ABC)

A whole show dedicated to an in-depth look into one Australians life. Beautifully done. Highly Recommended.

Inside Business (ABC)

Alan Kohler reports and comments in detail on current business affairs.

Insiders (ABC)

Barrie Cassidy talks to journalists and other "insiders" on the politics and machinations of current events.

Hungry Beast (ABC) A contemporary discussion of current events mixed with comedy.

World News Australia (SBS) - A great nightly roundup of international and local news.

News Relays (SBS) - SBS has for years shown various news broadcasts from around the world in their native language. I watch these sometimes as you would be surprised how much you can pick up even when not in English. My wife thinks I'm crazy.

The Journal (SBS) - The english edition of DW news from Germany. Often interesting.

PBS Newshour (SBS) - The fantastic news show from the famous Jim Lehrer*of the USA. I really like this one.

Living Black (SBS) - Interesting new stories from an indigenous perspective.

Global Village (SBS) - Silvio Rivier presents stories from around the world in his charming understated way.

DateLine (SBS) - The absolutely great international current affairs show that looks in-depth at news stories around the world. Presented by the excellent Mark Davis. Highly recommend this one.

These are all free to air. Of course if you have pay-tv you have other options as well.

Guest guest36762
Here are some I know. I think the lineup is excellent for a country of this size. Just as satisfying as when I lived in the UK if not stronger in some areas.

George Negus at 6:30pm (C10)

Anything with George Negus is worth watching. Early days so hopefully he can make it work.

60 minutes (C9)

Occasionally has a story worth watching.

Lateline (ABC )

Ali Moore does a great job of presenting in-depth stories on local and international affairs.

Lateline Business (ABC)

Roundup of business and economic news locally and around the world.

ABC News 24 (ABC)

A mixture of rolling news and specific news features throughout the day (local and international). New and still finding its feet.

ABC National Evening News (ABC News 24)

Roundup of local and international news.

7:30 Report (ABC)

Great professional current affairs show covering local and international stories presented by the excellent Leigh Sales. Highly Recommended.

Foreign Correspondent (ABC)

Fantastic in-depth stories on current affairs around the world - Was the baby of George Negus for many years but now hosted by Eric Campbell. Very high standard. Highly Recommended.

Four Corners (ABC)

Excellent Panorama style show with very in-depth investigative reporting. Highly Recommended.

Q&A (ABC)

Tony Jones does a fantastic job managing the mix of politicians, journalists, eminent Australians and the studio audience in this often excellent panel show (somewhat like Question Time) discussing the hot topics of today. Highly Recommended.

Australian Story (ABC)

A whole show dedicated to an in-depth look into one Australians life. Beautifully done. Highly Recommended.

Inside Business (ABC)

Alan Kohler reports and comments in detail on current business affairs.

Insiders (ABC)

Barrie Cassidy talks to journalists and other "insiders" on the politics and machinations of current events.

Hungry Beast (ABC) A contemporary discussion of current events mixed with comedy.

World News Australia (SBS) - A great nightly roundup of international and local news.

News Relays (SBS) - SBS has for years shown various news broadcasts from around the world in their native language. I watch these sometimes as you would be surprised how much you can pick up even when not in English. My wife thinks I'm crazy.

The Journal (SBS) - The english edition of DW news from Germany. Often interesting.

PBS Newshour (SBS) - The fantastic news show from the famous Jim Lehrer*of the USA. I really like this one.

Living Black (SBS) - Interesting new stories from an indigenous perspective.

Global Village (SBS) - Silvio Rivier presents stories from around the world in his charming understated way.

DateLine (SBS) - The absolutely great international current affairs show that looks in-depth at news stories around the world. Presented by the excellent Mark Davis. Highly recommend this one.

These are all free to air. Of course if you have pay-tv you have other options as well.

good round up there fishy

I'm a big fan of Foreign Correspondant, 7.30 (no longer 'report'; was much better with Kerry O'Brien) and ABC News Breakfast with the ice queen Virginia Triolli. I think Kerry and Virginia are class acts, and often others around them look amateurish and thick by comparison. Without these shows I would have taken a cricket bat to my telly.

I absolutely refuse to watch ANYTHING on channels 7,9 and 10. Sorry, they just make me feel ill: a mixture of high blood pressure and gut-wrenching nausea.

Personally I cannot see the point of Angry Beast: either it should be entirely comedy or entirely current affairs, or entirely satire, but it chooses to juxtapose comedy sketches with serious reportage and the result is jarringly naff IMO. The Chasers were funny til they got too big.

'Australian story' is just a bit too samey for me: too many of the stories seem to portray prominent Australians with 'connections'

Guest guest36762
I like those programs too Susie, and even as a big dumbo Australian I can understand them too:laugh:DO'H.

oh, come 'ere you big thicko you:hug:

Guest siamsusie
I like those programs too Susie, and even as a big dumbo Australian I can understand them too:laugh:DO'H.

I think in some circles you are regarded as a "Teflon" which of course would include my Australian husband:biggrin:... to quote " Australians are very nice and friendly but does not stick to me and I wont stick to you":laugh::laugh:..... to be honest I feel it is a myth anyone coming out of Australia is educated!:SLEEP::SLEEP:

Archived