Miserable and bored

Guest davethebear

Guest davethebear

I am only going to be quick.

I posted on here about 6 months or so ago, about how I was considering moving back to the UK. Well I think that in the next month or so I shall be flying on the big bird. I have been in Oz over three years now and have been living for the last year in Sydney after moving from Victoria.

The only easy way that I can describe how I feel is BORED, MISERABLE and SOULLESS, to the extent of utter depression. I have tried to get to grips with the Aussie way, but I really feel that it is not for me anymore. I am not saying that I am the most intelligent person on the planet, but I know that I am good company, I can hold a conversation, have a great sense of humour, and I am interested to learn all the time, especially when engaged in a great meaningful and enjoyable conversation....but when I say conversation, I mean a two way conversation.

Has anybody ever tried to hold an interesting conversation while they are here? Of course they have..........When you talk to someone and ask questions about them, do you expect the same in return to keep the conversation going? Of course you do.........Because that is how conversation works.........You say something, and then in return the other person adds something else, then the discussion/conversation builds up. Hopefully on occasions you may even get a really interesting conversation taking place, have a few bevvies and the night flows along nicely.

So why can't Australians do this then? It is probably one of the easiest things a person can do and doesn't even cost any money. So apart from the AFL, NRL and other sports, there are a lot of other topics that can be part of a general discussion. I am at a total loss of the total inability of most people here who struggle to even know what the hell is going on in the world, either politically, historically, culturally, or indeed any other word ending with ally. I am 46 and are quite capable of conversing with people from a wide age range, which comes in very handy, especially as I also perform stand up comedy and have done so in numerous countries in the world.

But in all my years I have never felt so frustrated and disengaged. I have had better conversations with folks who cannot even speak English in other parts of the globe, and great laughs to go with it.

I am not meaning to be disrespectful, I think Oz is a beautiful country, the people are so friendly, but there is a lack of UMPH. I just wanted to say how I was feeling and to let other people know that they are not alone if they feel the same way as what I do.

Yours,

Peed off........................

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to hear that you are leaving but your average Aussie (including supposedly educated ones), cannot string words into a sentence properly let alone have a proper conversation. Its not you being an arrogant Pom, what you say is true. We have had exactly the same experience. Before coming to Oz we were getting to know a group of Poles and had better chats that we ever have had here - and more fun too.

Not really sure what to say to this. My OH works with an all Ozzie team and we have had some great evenings in their company, his boss in particular never shuts up,:chatterbox: he is lovely but is a proper conversationalist and he is always asking us questions and is generally very interested too, and he doesnt like sport much! My OH's work colleagues are lovely and my daughters friends and boyfriend are all Aussie and very easy to talk to and lovely natured.

I hope you find some happiness either here or back in the UK though because its a heartfelt post and you do sound very down.

The very best of luck in whatever course you take :wubclub:

Guest Guest16631

Sorry to hear your unhappy but I don't think you can blame the country.............I have lived all over the world and there are people as you have described everywhere...............you just have to search for like minded people and as it says in the desiderata ..........Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant, they too have their story............... every culture has a different way of looking at things a different sense of humour often you have to change a little of your way of thinking to fit in .............you will find the people you are looking for if you look hard enough........... maybe a little different but isn't that what livving in other countrys is about??...........good luck the UMPH is out there..................................

Sorry to hear your unhappy but I don't think you can blame the country.............I have lived all over the world and there are people as you have described everywhere...............you just have to search for like minded people and as it says in the desiderata ..........Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant, they too have their story............... every culture has a different way of looking at things a different sense of humour often you have to change a little of your way of thinking to fit in .............you will find the people you are looking for if you look hard enough........... maybe a little different but isn't that what livving in other countrys is about??...........good luck the UMPH is out there..................................

I work with some highly educated and articulate people but when it comes to having an ordinary conversation about what is going on in the world they seem to have had instant lobotomies with no opinion whatsoever, no ability to formulate or even follow a reasoned argument and it seems to be pretty common and not the odd person here. No wonder the level of political debate and commentary is as dumb as it is here - (A Current Affair, Today Tonight, the poor quality of newspapers, TV news and politicians generally). No one seems to have an opinion on the Iraq war, cost of housing or even the weather. Can you imagine the Poll Tax riots, anti globalisation protests happening here?

I've tried to strike up conversations at work, in pubs and to friends of friends at parties with virtually no success. Even at 3 in the morning I could have a reasonable conversation with someone stoned out of their mind in the UK. Its not just me, it my OH too, thats why he moved to the UK get get some intellectual stimulation.

Guest Guest16631

wellI don't know where you live or who you mix with but [sorry should put that at the end of the sentence ] thats your experience .I have two grown up kids and have been able to hold interesting and stimulating conversations with them and their friends ,OH works with some very opinionated people and the conversation becomes very involved and sometimes heated, the affects of over populization of australia and the effect on the infastructure and economy ..............this was what we were talking about last night,down the pub the conversation was about how the music scene has reflected society the change in lyrics etc.................the local green grocer was discussing the effects of the floods on fruit and veg prices.............Ithink all of the people I meet and talk to have all their brains .............seek and you will find...:wink::smile:

A Current Affair, Today Tonight, the poor quality of newspapers, TV news and politicians generally

I don't think you can call any of these political debate or commentary programs and if this is what you've been watching expecting some serious debate, no wonder you've been disappointed.

The 7:30 report wasn't too bad, with Kerry O'Brien and George Negus new show is pretty good. Unfortunately not many people seem to want to watch it.

I've not noticed or suffered any of the problems you seem to have encountered. I think it depends on where you come from in the UK too. I don't think you would get much of a political debate from my friends back in the UK. Too lethargic.

Guest siamsusie

Married to an Australian who is well travelled as are most of his friends.. all open for some great debates and conversations. I have met shall I say more parochial fellows on both sides of the pond who basically arent interested in current affairs and I have to accept that... Now in the US.... thats where I generally I find a problem?

Guest guest36762
I work with some highly educated and articulate people but when it comes to having an ordinary conversation about what is going on in the world they seem to have had instant lobotomies with no opinion whatsoever, no ability to formulate or even follow a reasoned argument and it seems to be pretty common and not the odd person here. No wonder the level of political debate and commentary is as dumb as it is here - (A Current Affair, Today Tonight, the poor quality of newspapers, TV news and politicians generally). No one seems to have an opinion on the Iraq war, cost of housing or even the weather. Can you imagine the Poll Tax riots, anti globalisation protests happening here?

I've tried to strike up conversations at work, in pubs and to friends of friends at parties with virtually no success. Even at 3 in the morning I could have a reasonable conversation with someone stoned out of their mind in the UK. Its not just me, it my OH too, thats why he moved to the UK get get some intellectual stimulation.

there is definitely a grain of truth there, for me at least. Poms are generally opinionated buggers, they have a view on ANYTHING, especially when they know nothing about it!

Aussies are so laid back and content with their lot (myth?), that 'convo' is a relatively forgotten art. They seem consumed by lethargy (or is it me when I'm trying to make conversation?).

An example for me was at the Gabba for the first test last year, I was sat next to this English bloke and we chatted for ages on anything and everything, he was a very interesting bloke. Same day I stood at the back talking to an Aussie fella who was really friendly and chatty and quite intelligent, but the conversation seemed to lack incisiveness...in short, he was nice but a bit dull.

Perhaps it is just down to our different cultures, whereby we communicate by different means (talking vs grunting/nodding perhaps)

Feel for you, however have to say that a lot of Aussies do not like to discuss politics and their views with people they do not know well and I think that is a good thing. These sorts of conversations can get out of hand on a forum but in real life they can get really out of hand.

I find people of all persuasions boring if they do not want to have a proper conversation and move on to someone who does. :laugh:

Guest isobel10

Well the last time I went to Oz I met the most intellectually stimulating, well travelled and culturally aware person Ive ever met and he was an Aussie. However, in the UK when I stand in that playground waiting to collect my kids I have the dullest conversations known to man.

Is it not just a question of you wanting to come back to the UK therefore you are perceiving Oz in a negative way?

I have to say though through my efforts to find out if moving to Oz was the right thing for us one of the reasons we decided against it was that we wanted to feel connected to the rest of the world and Europe. Australia is so big it perhaps doesnt need to feel that connection as is the USA.

Good luck, mate!

I know just where you are coming from and I tend to agree with you. For me it is the egocentricity which bugs most - you can start talking about the tusnami and end up talking about their last bloody holiday in Bali, you can start talking about an emissions trading scheme and end up talking about how much they paid for their last Prius and what sort of deal they got and who conned who into giving the most away. You can start talking about the cost of tea in China and end up with how much they paid at the Central railway station for a chai latte. And dont get me started on humour - havent seen that much of it that wasnt toilet standard except for where there were more than 2 Poms in the gathering. Miserable and bored just about describes it (it's a very bad day!!!)

Hope it all works out brilliantly well for you - you are not alone in returning, there are a load of folk also packing up to find a better, more interesting and varied lifestyle. I will add that my eldest son who has lived in UK for 9 years couldnt wait to leave the last time he was here for a holiday - up to now he had thought he would eventually bring his wife back (getting married soon) but after his last visit he was bored witless and positively scampered back on the plane for a life with some buzz and variety. I really dont think we will be seeing him for more than the occasional holiday from now on.

I realise that you have said that you do not mean to be disrespectful, however the comments that you made I personally found very insulting. I am Australian and proud to be one, but it does sound like that means that I might be friendly but only capable of holding stupid and meaningless conversations. I am sure glad someone told me that before I embarrased myself when I go with my partner to various academic conferences around the world.

I am sorry that you haven't managed to connect with people over in Australia, personally I find it quite surprising when people talk about the lack of buzz or intelligence or whatever they feel they is missing. We have great conversations with people about politics and worldwide issues and though I watch sport don't ask me to spend more than 5 minutes talking about it as I couldn't. That is not to say that there not people who will talk for hours about NRL, AFL or the cricket, but tell me honestly how is that different from sections of the population in many countries across the world. The Americans love to talk about their football, basketball, and baseball, the Canadians can talk forever about ice hockey and the Brits love talking about their football and rugby. So please don't tar all Australians with the same brush, this is a large country with people from many different walks of life who enjoy different things, and who have conversations about many different things. Maybe you need to spread your wings a little bit and expand your social/work circle a little bit and you will find people who measure up to your expectations.

Culturally, the litmus test is this: read an Australian newspaper, then an English one. Watch Australian TV, then English TV. Australian music, literature, films ... I could go on. In a sense it's not the fault of the people as myopia is a disease that comes from within. Quoll is so right about the egocentricity ... if I was a local I'd be embarrassed, but embarrassment is an emotion which is a quality not often seen in those unable to be emotive unless it's about THEM.

On the world stage, Australia does not matter.

Remember this quote by D. H Lawrence: 'I like Australia less and less. The hateful newness, the democratic conceit, every man a little pope of perfection.'

Call me a racist if you like - I've been called a lot worse ... by Australians.

Culturally, the litmus test is this: read an Australian newspaper, then an English one. Watch Australian TV, then English TV. Australian music, literature, films ... I could go on. In a sense it's not the fault of the people as myopia is a disease that comes from within. Quoll is so right about the egocentricity ... if I was a local I'd be embarrassed, but embarrassment is an emotion which is a quality not often seen in those unable to be emotive unless it's about THEM.

On the world stage, Australia does not matter.

Remember this quote by D. H Lawrence: 'I like Australia less and less. The hateful newness, the democratic conceit, every man a little pope of perfection.'

Call me a racist if you like - I've been called a lot worse ... by Australians.

I've met some enlightened Australians and British. You are not one of them. Your claim that inherent human traits can belong far more to one nation than another are unsupportable. Your nationalism is spilling out in an unattractive way.

Guest Guest16631

You feel free in Australia. There is great relief in the atmosphere - a relief from tension, from pressure, an absence of control of will or form. The Skies open above you and the areas open around you. D.H Lawrence - English:wideeyed:

Guest guest37336

I really don't have a problem with some who view Australian's as a bit thick, or in actual fact that the Brit's are in some way far more intellectually superior, I really don't. But the problem kicks in when we (Brit's) keep banging on about how superior we are, that is when it cause a problem, IMO anyway.

Just what are we superior to, how do you measure superiority. Is that we have white skin, we can talk for hours on end about politics (which we don't by the way), is it that we live in brick houses, is it we have a 'developed' culture, a 'developed' society, that we speak the proper language (English), for gods sake, I often wonder where this feeling of superiority has come from.

I am superior to nobody, and nobody is superior to me, IMO anyway, to think that would not only be unfair to me, but to those I am talking to.

If we constantly 'score' ourselves on our supposed higher intellect, then god almighty, what the hell is going on?

Australia is simply a 'different' country, that's all, good, bad and indifferent. If some measure themselves against a 'white' developed nation, (which we supposedly are) then Jesus wept, how the hell do some measure themselves against such countries as Africa, Far East, Middler East, I fear the truth is out there somewhere, and as far as I am concerned is a sorry state of affairs to compare ANY country in terms of intellect, culture and conversational skills.

Cheers Tony.

Guest guest36762
Guys i have tided this thread up to give it a chance and removed quite a few posts. Please refrain from making personal comments about other members and try to stay on track.

Cal x

Why is it always my posts that end up getting deleted?

Guest Guest16631

It all started over a lack of UMPH.......................found some images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR1hC2BviuVk53REc8daLmnUu9Ehu7PecibUJs1CXo-IldPg_0J-w&t=1sorry thought i would lighten the thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest guest36762
It all started over a lack of UMPH.......................found some images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR1hC2BviuVk53REc8daLmnUu9Ehu7PecibUJs1CXo-IldPg_0J-w&t=1sorry thought i would lighten the thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll have a trolley full please:swoon:

Guest Guest37175
I am only going to be quick.

I posted on here about 6 months or so ago, about how I was considering moving back to the UK. Well I think that in the next month or so I shall be flying on the big bird. I have been in Oz over three years now and have been living for the last year in Sydney after moving from Victoria.

The only easy way that I can describe how I feel is BORED, MISERABLE and SOULLESS, to the extent of utter depression. I have tried to get to grips with the Aussie way, but I really feel that it is not for me anymore. I am not saying that I am the most intelligent person on the planet, but I know that I am good company, I can hold a conversation, have a great sense of humour, and I am interested to learn all the time, especially when engaged in a great meaningful and enjoyable conversation....but when I say conversation, I mean a two way conversation.

Has anybody ever tried to hold an interesting conversation while they are here? Of course they have..........When you talk to someone and ask questions about them, do you expect the same in return to keep the conversation going? Of course you do.........Because that is how conversation works.........You say something, and then in return the other person adds something else, then the discussion/conversation builds up. Hopefully on occasions you may even get a really interesting conversation taking place, have a few bevvies and the night flows along nicely.

So why can't Australians do this then? It is probably one of the easiest things a person can do and doesn't even cost any money. So apart from the AFL, NRL and other sports, there are a lot of other topics that can be part of a general discussion. I am at a total loss of the total inability of most people here who struggle to even know what the hell is going on in the world, either politically, historically, culturally, or indeed any other word ending with ally. I am 46 and are quite capable of conversing with people from a wide age range, which comes in very handy, especially as I also perform stand up comedy and have done so in numerous countries in the world.

But in all my years I have never felt so frustrated and disengaged. I have had better conversations with folks who cannot even speak English in other parts of the globe, and great laughs to go with it.

I am not meaning to be disrespectful, I think Oz is a beautiful country, the people are so friendly, but there is a lack of UMPH. I just wanted to say how I was feeling and to let other people know that they are not alone if they feel the same way as what I do.

Yours,

Peed off........................

Dave, I think you're about to encounter a significant amount of social intercourse on this forum as a result of that post, and sadly, not much of it's going to be pretty.

I do sympathise with the feelings of disconnectedness you're going through. You're not alone mate. :sad: