Miserable and bored

Guest davethebear

Guest guest36762
I really don't have a problem with some who view Australian's as a bit thick, or in actual fact that the Brit's are in some way far more intellectually superior, I really don't. But the problem kicks in when we (Brit's) keep banging on about how superior we are, that is when it cause a problem, IMO anyway.

Just what are we superior to, how do you measure superiority. Is that we have white skin, we can talk for hours on end about politics (which we don't by the way), is it that we live in brick houses, is it we have a 'developed' culture, a 'developed' society, that we speak the proper language (English), for gods sake, I often wonder where this feeling of superiority has come from.

I am superior to nobody, and nobody is superior to me, IMO anyway, to think that would not only be unfair to me, but to those I am talking to.

If we constantly 'score' ourselves on our supposed higher intellect, then god almighty, what the hell is going on?

Australia is simply a 'different' country, that's all, good, bad and indifferent. If some measure themselves against a 'white' developed nation, (which we supposedly are) then Jesus wept, how the hell do some measure themselves against such countries as Africa, Far East, Middler East, I fear the truth is out there somewhere, and as far as I am concerned is a sorry state of affairs to compare ANY country in terms of intellect, culture and conversational skills.

Cheers Tony.

With the greatest respect Tony, I don't think the op was saying anything about superiority, just that conversationally he's been 'challenged' talking to the locals. Another poster talked about how dull the other mums were at school pick up time but this comment didn't raise any eyebrows (presumably as it was a reference to Brits which is ok, apparently).

I agree with the fairly bleedin obvious point you make that aus is a 'different' country, and this is what I presume the op was getting at: culturally it is vastly different and this affects many facets of everyday life, in his case, making conversation (which is definitely something I can relate to).

But to use his comments as a launching board for moral outrage (not just you, it seems the standard pavlovian response for many) is unfair, IMHO

Dom

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Guest37175
I work with some highly educated and articulate people but when it comes to having an ordinary conversation about what is going on in the world they seem to have had instant lobotomies with no opinion whatsoever, no ability to formulate or even follow a reasoned argument and it seems to be pretty common and not the odd person here. No wonder the level of political debate and commentary is as dumb as it is here - (A Current Affair, Today Tonight, the poor quality of newspapers, TV news and politicians generally). No one seems to have an opinion on the Iraq war, cost of housing or even the weather. Can you imagine the Poll Tax riots, anti globalisation protests happening here?

I've tried to strike up conversations at work, in pubs and to friends of friends at parties with virtually no success. Even at 3 in the morning I could have a reasonable conversation with someone stoned out of their mind in the UK. Its not just me, it my OH too, thats why he moved to the UK get get some intellectual stimulation.

Put me in mind of this Germaine Greer quote;

Australia is a huge rest home, where no unwelcome news is ever wafted on to the pages of the worst newspapers in the world.

I know she's not everyone's cup of tea as social commentators go, but I still find the old girl entertaining :biggrin:

Guest guest36762
Isnt this just racist garbage.

Basically saying the english are smarter than the aussies.

Sounds like a lot of rubbish to me.

Might be rubbish to you, but it's personal experience to me.

And are you telling me that you never make generalisations about different nationalities?

Put me in mind of this Germaine Greer quote;

Australia is a huge rest home, where no unwelcome news is ever wafted on to the pages of the worst newspapers in the world.

I know she's not everyone's cup of tea as social commentators go, but I still find the old girl entertaining :biggrin:

You are clutching at straws quoting her. She has a deep personal hatred for Australia & only has a job because she spouts ill informed rubbish.

Guest Guest37175
I wouldn't dream of saying one race is superior to another.

That is crap.

Although I do admit to perhaps generalising about the Germans as being rude and arrogant.

But this post is ridiculous.

Ridiculous or just heartfelt?. What if the OP was living in the UK and was venting at the frustrations they were experiencing with the community there, would you feel as strongly then?

Guest guest36762
I wouldn't dream of saying one race is superior to another.

That is crap.

Although I do admit to perhaps generalising about the Germans as being rude and arrogant.

But this post is ridiculous.

Which post? Or do you mean this thread?

And I don't remember anyone saying anything about racial superiority

I would conclude that either he is the problem, or that he needs to talk to more people.

I struggle to believe that a large community of people can be labelled as less able than another community of people.

This is a slippery slope I wouldn't want to go down. Who knows where it will lead.

Guest guest36762
I would conclude that either he is the problem, or that he needs to talk to more people.

I struggle to believe that a large community of people can be labelled as less able than another community of people.

This is a slippery slope I wouldn't want to go down. Who knows where it will lead.

Er, I'd hazard a guess at...another uk vs aus bicker

Guest guest36762
Exactly...

What, so poor old Dave is a Nazi now then?

Or is it me?

I'd better perfect my german characteristics, what was it.....'rude and arrogant'?

:chatterbox:

The mundane and uninteresting exist in every country. Try mixing with a different group of people. I must admit tho alot of my friends in Australia are immigrants or they are Citizens who have travelled extensively.

Guest Guest16631

well after the initial...............".I posted on here about 6 months or so ago":wideeyed: .................they havn't been back ..........are they frightened off from what has become a mine is better than yours thread or are they havving a chuckle ? might find out in 6 months time...................:err:

Guest guest36762
This is how it starts...

Who knows where it ends ?

As I said, just another pointless aus vs uk bicker.

It IS fun though, isn't it?

Guest guest36762
It does pass the time when theres nothing good on the telly.

That's why I'm on here most nights...

We found some Australians very easy to talk to, Some more difficult, Some were very hard work but then they may well have thought that about us, To be honest i really think it can take years and years to build a friendship where you can talk to someone about any topic, Doesn't matter what nationality they are or where in the world you are living! There is idle chit chat to pass the time of day, and there there is talking easily to someone, knowing that you can say what you like without offending someone or them you! So to say its Dave's fault is a little unfair! I get on with lots of people on Pio, but to come face to face could be awkward as you may have nothing in common (except pio) and different views and may not become the perfect friendship! Wouldn't be anybodies fault, just a clash of personalities! :wubclub:

Archived