Miserable and bored

Guest davethebear

Disagree, my point is how far behind the times they are in every sense. I seen Melbourne's "No 1 orthapeodic surgeon" he couldn't figure out what was wrong in four visits and endless $$$$$.

First visit with surgeon here in UK and problem found straight away. The procedure used isn't even available in Oz. I just wished I'd stopped to consider the reality of what if's. I can't turn back the clock but have learnt a harsh lesson. I wished I would have asked myself the following questions before emigrating:

1)How many times will you actually get to the beach on a average week?

2)How will you cope if you get seriously ill and don't have family by yourside?

3)How will you cope if something happens to someone in your family and your stuck on the other side of the world?

4)Will you be able to have all the luxuries your used to ie: gym membership, nights out,takeaways,buying new clothes etc. on Oz wage and cost of living?

5)Will you be able to cope with working with people that's standard of work is well below what your used to but they still expect same result?

6)Will you be comfortable in a climate that is unbearable most of the time?

It's just things you think will never affect you but it's hard when you trade in and go full bore to the other side of the world only to be disapointed.

I don't expect us to agree on this, but for your negative experiences there will be others who will say that medical care here is excellent. Neither Oz or UK's health systems are perfect, but they're both pretty good in different ways.

As for the highlighted bits, whose standard of work are you referring to, and how can you say Melbourne's weather is 'unbearable most of the time'?

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Think that is a great quote. Australia is marketed as the solution to all our problems, but in reality it isn't all it's talked up to be. I've found myself on hard times as I had to have major hip surgery which was mis diagnosed by Oz docs for over 12 months till I got on a plane flew home got to Oxford and got fixed. The problem I found with Aussies was a distinct lack of education that then turns into adults without basic knowledge.

Especially in Melbourne, which I found to be a twlight zone, It is so far behind I just couldn't cope with the people as you can't move forward and get things done. It is so expensive I don't know how people survive. I'm glad I gave it a bash and will happily get on with things here and progress in life.

How on Earth do you justify blanket statements like this which appear to insuate that ALL Australians lack education and basic knowledge? With the latest interpretation of the Racial Discrimination Act 1995 against Andrew Bolt I would not be surprised if you could be charged with racism!

This has nothing to do with being unhappy in Australia, it's just an offensive statement.

Guest Gone Crazy
How on Earth do you justify blanket statements like this which appear to insuate that ALL Australians lack education and basic knowledge? With the latest interpretation of the Racial Discrimination Act 1995 against Andrew Bolt I would not be surprised if you could be charged with racism!

This has nothing to do with being unhappy in Australia, it's just an offensive statement.

I think racism is a bit dramatic, but that's what I'm referring too. Aussies cannot take critism because they are led to believe they live in paradise and nothing else exists outside their perfect country. But I do believe the education is poor in comparison to other countries.

I lived there for three years an met many people from different walks of life and found them to lack common sense, it's just my experience. Mostly because they hadn't left the state they were in let alone gone elsewhere in the world.

Guest Gone Crazy
I don't expect us to agree on this, but for your negative experiences there will be others who will say that medical care here is excellent. Neither Oz or UK's health systems are perfect, but they're both pretty good in different ways.

As for the highlighted bits, whose standard of work are you referring to, and how can you say Melbourne's weather is 'unbearable most of the time'?

With work it probably is linked to the level of training/education that in my opinion is below standard compared to that provided in UK and results in poor workmanship.

With the weather it is a horrible mixture of cold starts then muggy days and unbearable summer heat. Some people will like it but I didn't.

Guest guest57588
Disagree, my point is how far behind the times they are in every sense. I seen Melbourne's "No 1 orthapeodic surgeon" he couldn't figure out what was wrong in four visits and endless $$$$$.

First visit with surgeon here in UK and problem found straight away. The procedure used isn't even available in Oz. I just wished I'd stopped to consider the reality of what if's. I can't turn back the clock but have learnt a harsh lesson. I wished I would have asked myself the following questions before emigrating:

3)How will you cope if something happens to someone in your family and your stuck on the other side of the world?

4)Will you be able to have all the luxuries your used to ie: gym membership, nights out,takeaways,buying new clothes etc. on Oz wage and cost of living?

5)Will you be able to cope with working with people that's standard of work is well below what your used to but they still expect same result?

It's just things you think will never affect you but it's hard when you trade in and go full bore to the other side of the world only to be disapointed.

I agree mate. Particularly the further out you go into the smaller towns the bigger risk you run of encountering cowboy GPs who've got other things on their minds rather than their patients.

I think racism is a bit dramatic, but that's what I'm referring too. Aussies cannot take critism because they are led to believe they live in paradise and nothing else exists outside their perfect country. But I do believe the education is poor in comparison to other countries.

I lived there for three years an met many people from different walks of life and found them to lack common sense, it's just my experience. Mostly because they hadn't left the state they were in let alone gone elsewhere in the world.

That's what Andrew Bolt thought talking about light-skinned Aborigines. Substitute the word 'Aussie' with 'Aborigine' say, or 'African' or 'Indian' (pace Prince Philip?)

Personally I get on well with Aussies but I fancy I would be in hospital very quickly if I kept on telling everyone I met how stupid, lacking in common sense, lacking a proper education system & full of quack doctors.

PS I put a new thread about the Andrew Bolt Ruling, taken from 'The Drum' which is usually much more 'leftie' than The Australian.

Interesting questions, they sum up a lot of your feelings. I would argue that every person is different, and by being able to respond to each in a positive manner provides me with resolve that I am making the right choice in moving to Aus. I read this column to re-affirm my imminent move to Aus, it provides me with a balanced view. I wish you well in your return, as I hope you wish me well in my move down under.

P

1)How many times will you actually get to the beach on a average week.

[/b]Every day. Probably depends where you live though to be fair.

Quite well with adequate medical insurance. Didn't you think of this before you emigrated?

Again, didn't you give some thought to this before applying to emigrate ?

Not too sure why you can't afford these things within reason if you're working.

Not sure what you do for a living mate but you seem hell bent on ripping into Australia regardless.

For information on Australian weather just google it. It's all available before you buy your ticket.

p.s. My biggest concern living in the UK at the moment is the health system which is so slow and congested. As for gym membership, I appear to be in the minority at my local gym because I actually pay for my membership.

It's unfortunate things didn't work out for you in Australia, but it works out well for many others, including myself. I hope prospective emigrants from the UK and beyond aren't put off by your views, and actually do their homework before trying their hand at settling in Australia. I take it you're now back in the UK enjoying all the things you missed because of your misadventure. Good luck.

With work it probably is linked to the level of training/education that in my opinion is below standard compared to that provided in UK and results in poor workmanship.

With the weather it is a horrible mixture of cold starts then muggy days and unbearable summer heat. Some people will like it but I didn't.

Haven't worked in the UK for a considerable time but after working a number of years in Europe I do find standards here very average in many areas. There seems to be a general lack of care in performance, often laziness(slackness) but great care taking in covering their backs. In some areas I have encountered a very top down approach very different from the consultation approach was used to. I'm sure different areas different practices but that is largely (not entirely) what I've experienced.

Management in NGOs in the areas I work have a tendancey to rather dismal performance sometimes having limited knowledge in the area creating high turnovers and stress.

Finally someone who feels the same , I have lived here off and on for over fifty years and have always felt as if I am on a desert island and the real world is somewhere out there , with real people who can think and speak and who don't rejoice in being average or the same as everyone else but embrace difference and originality . My family and I are hoping to escape and finally go home by 2013 if all goes well .

Finally someone who feels the same , I have lived here off and on for over fifty years and have always felt as if I am on a desert island and the real world is somewhere out there , with real people who can think and speak and who don't rejoice in being average or the same as everyone else but embrace difference and originality . My family and I are hoping to escape and finally go home by 2013 if all goes well .

Welcome Nanna - wow, 50 years, you get less time for murder these days! Good luck with your relocation to the place you 'belong'.

50, 55, maybe even 60 years - that is a LONG time to decide you don't like a place?

50, 55, maybe even 60 years - that is a LONG time to decide you don't like a place?

Maybe you should re-read what nana wrote......

"Finally someone who feels the same , I have lived here off and on for over fifty years and have always felt as if I am on a desert island and the real world is somewhere out there , with real people who can think and speak and who don't rejoice in being average or the same as everyone else but embrace difference and originality . My family and I are hoping to escape and finally go home by 2013 if all goes well"

Maybe you should re-read what nana wrote......

"Finally someone who feels the same , I have lived here off and on for over fifty years and have always felt as if I am on a desert island and the real world is somewhere out there , with real people who can think and speak and who don't rejoice in being average or the same as everyone else but embrace difference and originality . My family and I are hoping to escape and finally go home by 2013 if all goes well"

What? They kept putting messages in bottles pleading to be rescued and, finally, a benefactor found one!?

Unfortunately, it does not matter how many times I read the message, being unreal (funny a favourite Aussie expression - UNREAL, mate!) thoughtless and speechless, therefore marooned forever 'waiting for Godot, or Gogot', whoever he is.

Guest Guest31881

OK, this is the last time I am going to put a warning on this thread, next time some members may find they have a few days off to read the rules.

This thread is called, " Moving Back to UK", if you do not like what people on here are saying and the reasons they give for moving back then stay off the thread. it does not matter if they have been here two weeks or fifty years they have the right to express their feelings as much as anyone else, without being ridiculed and attacked.

I can understand Nanna my mum is just the same except she will not get to go back, however I would not go there with a conversation about it with her because she may get on the next plane :laugh:

My oh was flying to the UK solo a few years ago and sat next to a lady who had lived in WA from being a young bride and was then in her eighties. She had children and grandchilden etc in WA but she was returning to the UK because that is where she wanted to die. She was going to get a small cottage in a village and live out the remainder of her years.

Some people have a real connection for where they come from and others don't.

My grandfather went to live in the USA after my grandmother died and lived there till he was 90. He was back in UK that year and he died on a station waiting for a train, apt really as he was a station master but he knew he was home. So he is buried with my grandmother in Suffolk near where they lived a long long time.

We always have a connection to our home country just that some people feel it more than others.

OK, this is the last time I am going to put a warning on this thread, next time some members may find they have a few days off to read the rules.

This thread is called, " Moving Back to UK", if you do not like what people on here are saying and the reasons they give for moving back then stay off the thread. it does not matter if they have been here two weeks or fifty years they have the right to express their feelings as much as anyone else, without being ridiculed and attacked.

Sorry, had a (rare for me) hangover this morning. Sometimes I'm so sharp I cut myself.

I can understand Nanna my mum is just the same except she will not get to go back, however I would not go there with a conversation about it with her because she may get on the next plane :laugh:

My oh was flying to the UK solo a few years ago and sat next to a lady who had lived in WA from being a young bride and was then in her eighties. She had children and grandchilden etc in WA but she was returning to the UK because that is where she wanted to die. She was going to get a small cottage in a village and live out the remainder of her years.

Some people have a real connection for where they come from and others don't.

My grandfather went to live in the USA after my grandmother died and lived there till he was 90. He was back in UK that year and he died on a station waiting for a train, apt really as he was a station master but he knew he was home. So he is buried with my grandmother in Suffolk near where they lived a long long time.

We always have a connection to our home country just that some people feel it more than others.

Well said petals

Guest peacock

Not reading all the posts, but I do get a common feeling that when people get homesick in a foreign country they look for and sometimes make up reasons why they need to go home, why can't they just be honest and say this place is not for me, I prefer blighty, but to make broad sweeping statements that Ozzies can't string a sentence together and such like just makes you sound really stupid, if you don't like the chosen country you're in, simple , go home, but don't make yourself look foolish in the process.

Not reading all the posts, but I do get a common feeling that when people get homesick in a foriegn country they look for and sometimes make up reasons why they need to go home, why cant they just be honest and say this place is not for me, I prefer blighty, but to make broad sweeping statements that Ozzies cant string a sentence together and such like just makes you sound real stupid, if you dont like the chosen country your in, simple , go home, but dont make yourself look foolish in the process.

Yes, I'll second that. It's those 'sweeping statement' that make me grow hot under my manacles. I went back to England because I missed my parents and I had the opportunity when I was made redundant. After twelve years I reversed the process because my parents passed away & I missed my brother in Sydney. My life in both countries is much the same.

Not reading all the posts, but I do get a common feeling that when people get homesick in a foreign country they look for and sometimes make up reasons why they need to go home, why can't they just be honest and say this place is not for me, I prefer blighty, but to make broad sweeping statements that Ozzies can't string a sentence together and such like just makes you sound really stupid, if you don't like the chosen country you're in, simple , go home, but don't make yourself look foolish in the process.

I think there certainly is a percentage who suffer homesickness as would be expected but surely you are not suggesting that a lot of other people while not liking Australia particularly do not want to return to UK either.

I am thinking of the couple I met on a trip last year who were visiting friends in Mandarah (WA) who had relocated three years previously from that very city noy to return to UK but move to Spain.

Or on the same trip a Geordie couple who had not liked Australia but had relocated to New Zealand and appear to far prefer it.

Or two years previously the Scottish fellow with his Afro/Carib London born partner who had found Perth too quiet for what they were seeking and once getting citizenship moved to work in Thailand but had every intention to return to Australia at a more advanced age.

That's just off the back of my head. I suppose we could say finding Perth or Adelaide is a little boring is a sweeping statement as of course there are things that can be foundto do there. Thing is at this particular time of that persons life it's not the place they want to be but doesn't mean they necessary wish to return to UK either.

Guest Gone Crazy
1)How many times will you actually get to the beach on a average week.

[/b]Every day. Probably depends where you live though to be fair.

Quite well with adequate medical insurance. Didn't you think of this before you emigrated?

Again, didn't you give some thought to this before applying to emigrate ?

Not too sure why you can't afford these things within reason if you're working.

Not sure what you do for a living mate but you seem hell bent on ripping into Australia regardless.

For information on Australian weather just google it. It's all available before you buy your ticket.

p.s. My biggest concern living in the UK at the moment is the health system which is so slow and congested. As for gym membership, I appear to be in the minority at my local gym because I actually pay for my membership.

It's unfortunate things didn't work out for you in Australia, but it works out well for many others, including myself. I hope prospective emigrants from the UK and beyond aren't put off by your views, and actually do their homework before trying their hand at settling in Australia. I take it you're now back in the UK enjoying all the things you missed because of your misadventure. Good luck.

How the hell would 'adequate health insurance' cover a serious operation that Australia doesn't perform. Is it because they are too stupid or light years behind? probably. The health system in the UK is brilliant, all be it you may have to go private. But after spending 12 months paying Aussie educated, boe-tie wearing, braindead idiots who call themsleves professional it is refreshing to come back to a place that offers a level of treatment simply not available in Oz because it is inadequate

And as for your comment of me wanting to rip into Australia I'm just big enough to admit it wasn't for me. I'm just giving my honest account of my experience.

As for doing homework you can do all you like, sometimes you just don't like people or a place. Nobody can prepare you for how frustrating it is trying to get on in a country the only thing they are doing fast is going backwards.

My comments are to give people a REAL view of how things are. I have meet people that have posted on here how fantastic their 'new life' down under was. I didn't think so when I seen them. Because knowing them from UK they had:

a)better paid jobs in UK

b)better house in UK

c)better standard of living overall in UK.

So I found their comments trying to justify their new life as Australia hadn't given them a better life, but they didn't want to admit it. I have no shame in admitting I prefer UK over Oz, just how I feel based on experience.

Guest The Pom Queen

Please can I remind members not to get personal with their comments, any more and we will need to look at infractions for breach of forum rules.:hug:

Guest guest37336
How the hell would 'adequate health insurance' cover a serious operation that Australia doesn't perform. Is it because they are too stupid or light years behind? probably. The health system in the UK is brilliant, all be it you may have to go private. But after spending 12 months paying Aussie educated, boe-tie wearing, braindead idiots who call themsleves professional it is refreshing to come back to a place that offers a level of treatment simply not available in Oz because it is inadequate

And as for your comment of me wanting to rip into Australia I'm just big enough to admit it wasn't for me. I'm just giving my honest account of my experience.

As for doing homework you can do all you like, sometimes you just don't like people or a place. Nobody can prepare you for how frustrating it is trying to get on in a country the only thing they are doing fast is going backwards.

My comments are to give people a REAL view of how things are. I have meet people that have posted on here how fantastic their 'new life' down under was. I didn't think so when I seen them. Because knowing them from UK they had:

a)better paid jobs in UK

b)better house in UK

c)better standard of living overall in UK.

So I found their comments trying to justify their new life as Australia hadn't given them a better life, but they didn't want to admit it. I have no shame in admitting I prefer UK over Oz, just how I feel based on experience.

But are they happy?:unsure::biglaugh:

Subjective personal experiences, real enough to the individual but irrelevant to the statistics - like the person who tells you - we ALL know one - that their grandpa smoked 100 fags a day and lived to 100 too.

BUT - WHY do smokers pay higher life insurance premiums that non-smokers?

WHY do drivers under the age of 25 pay higher motor insurance?

And WHY do so many Brits continue to come to OZ (and SO few return?)

Go Figure?

Do the math?

Archived