Guest guest36187

Thank you Sadge 

do you know if you have to stay there permanently by that date or can you still come and go?

we have t been granted our yet, we are a way off but just wondered how it works as you are not sure when It will be granted then we have lots of ends to tie up here. Like the house sale etc which could take a while. 

7 hours ago, jeanhob said:

Thank you Sadge 

do you know if you have to stay there permanently by that date or can you still come and go?

we have t been granted our yet, we are a way off but just wondered how it works as you are not sure when It will be granted then we have lots of ends to tie up here. Like the house sale etc which could take a while. 

Under normal circumstances, once you've got your visa, you can come and go as often as you like.    Currently with the coronavirus lockdown, it's different.  For instance currently, you can get here but once you're in Australia, you would have to apply for special permission if you wanted to leave again.  Those restrictions will be in place for another six months at least.

12 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

You are free to leave but once 5 years is up you will need to request a resident return visa to travel outside Australia. Be mindful though that if you hadn’t actually made the move over and were still living those 5 years in your home country you would have to show strong ties to Australia to qualify for a RRV.

Is there a rule about number of years you have to live in Australia within first 5 years to be able  to maintain your residency status? My parents enjoy living overseas and would come and live here only if their health deteriorates. Thanks

On 10/05/2020 at 14:27, amsaini15 said:

Is there a rule about number of years you have to live in Australia within first 5 years to be able  to maintain your residency status? My parents enjoy living overseas and would come and live here only if their health deteriorates. Thanks

Minimum two years out of the five

Edited by Marisawright

11 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

You must stay at least 2 years to renew your visa

20 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Minimum two years out of the five

Not so!

You could arrive the day before the travel facility expires on the 143 visa, stay for a period of time (not necessarily 2 years) and then seek a Resident Return visa if the quality of ties to Australia are sufficiently good.

Best regards.

• Like 3

It’s a matter of doing the maths!! There’s around 50000 in the queue and only around 6000 are granted every year. The queue spiked in both 2016 and  2017 Eg in May /June 2017 alone over 9000 applied for just those two months so those alone will take at least 18 months to two years to be dealt with. We are all waiting a long time !! 

12 hours ago, Alan Collett said:

Not so!

You could arrive the day before the travel facility expires on the 143 visa, stay for a period of time (not necessarily 2 years) and then seek a Resident Return visa if the quality of ties to Australia are sufficiently good.

Best regards.

You're right of course, Alan.  I guess the question is, what does "quality of ties" mean?     And how long is "a period of time"?   I think  @amsaini15  would be wise to consult you or another agent to understand exactly what they'd need to do.

Personally, if I were one of the parents on this thread, I'd take a dim view of people taking up places in the parents' visa queue with no intention of moving to Australia, they just want it as an insurance policy for the future.  It's really not fair on parents who are desperate to move now. 

• Like 2

Has the department started issuing offshore parent visa now or they still waiting for borders to open up? I think someone mentioned on another thread that they might have removed the statement about putting the parent visa finalisation on hold, can anyone confirm this?

Edited by sub7er

24 minutes ago, sub7er said:

Has the department started issuing offshore parent visa now or they still waiting for borders to open up? I think someone mentioned on another thread that they might have removed the statement about putting the parent visa finalisation on hold, can anyone confirm this?

@sub7er where did you read that mate?I sent an email today on parents@homeaffairs.gov.au and the automated response was they are still on hold ,i hope its true

4 hours ago, Lucy Adelaide said:

Congrats SusieRoo. 

I just wonder how many days do they allow you to prepare and submit docs. Thanks.

28 days, which would have been ample if we weren’t in the middle of a pandemic.

Form 80 and police check all ok, but no medical centres are open in the UK. London is only taking bookings for July, but we are hopeful Manchester will open this week. Otherwise I'm going to have to ask for an extension to these 28 days.

I find it a little strange (although I’m not complaining) that we appear to be the only forum members to be asked for medicals at this time. Your timeline is almost identical to ours, so I’m surprised you haven’t heard something yet.

Hi everyone,

I’ve been trying to check up on people’s progress on the visa tracker and mine has strangely disappeared. Can anyone give me the link...ta muchly.

Two months has passed since we received our PR. At the time we were in NZ awaiting the email and were lucky to get back. The lock down has been severe, possibly not as bad as Europe but bad enough. I think the bigger problem is going to be the effect on the economy and of course China is ramping up the rhetoric and stopping trade.

I wouldn’t even think about buying a house now and I would also keep money in the UK as well as Aus and play the exchange rates.

We can get loo rolls now though[emoji16]

Bridgie

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, bridgie said:

Hi everyone,

I’ve been trying to check up on people’s progress on the visa tracker and mine has strangely disappeared. Can anyone give me the link...ta muchly.

Two months has passed since we received our PR. At the time we were in NZ awaiting the email and were lucky to get back. The lock down has been severe, possibly not as bad as Europe but bad enough. I think the bigger problem is going to be the effect on the economy and of course China is ramping up the rhetoric and stopping trade.

I wouldn’t even think about buying a house now and I would also keep money in the UK as well as Aus and play the exchange rates.

We can get loo rolls now thoughemoji16.png

Bridgie

Do you mean this one?  https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qdUJtvi43-4Ma76iDQWtT3Dv2KK4HxA1lvQzeAB2MOE/edit#gid=0

• Like 1

Thanks very much, soul destroying to see we were the last ones to get PR at the beginning of March.

I’m sure it’s no consolation, but the media are beginning to report the fact that the country is losing a huge amount of money by not allowing immigrants into the country.

Just now, bridgie said:

Thanks very much, soul destroying to see we were the last ones to get PR at the beginning of March.

I’m sure it’s no consolation, but the media are beginning to report the fact that the country is losing a huge amount of money by not allowing immigrants into the country.

Yeah and we sold our home back here when our aos was finalised, hope they start processing soon, any estimate anyone?

14 minutes ago, bridgie said:

I’m sure it’s no consolation, but the media are beginning to report the fact that the country is losing a huge amount of money by not allowing immigrants into the country

Would love to think so but sadly I rather think they mean young working immigrants rather than parents !

6 minutes ago, LindaH27 said:

Would love to think so but sadly I rather think they mean young working immigrants rather than parents !

Yes, and the reason those articles are appearing is to counter a growing view in some quarters that immigration should be cut drastically due to the predicted rise in unemployment. Hard to say which view will prevail

38 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Yes, and the reason those articles are appearing is to counter a growing view in some quarters that immigration should be cut drastically due to the predicted rise in unemployment. Hard to say which view will prevail

Scomo needs to keep the housing/debt bubble inflated at all cost. Reducing immigration now would be counterintuitive. They may need to re-start the old £10 POM scheme.