Guest guest36187

My reading from what’s on the website leads me to think that a parent visa is only granted when the child lives in Australia - otherwise any Australian citizen living outside of Australia anywhere else in the world could enable parents to get the 143 visa without living there themselves? 

Perhaps the solution is for the son to remain in Australia till the parent visa is granted and therefore also permanent residence?

Taken from home affairs website :-

Eligibility:

You must have a child who is an Australian citizen, a permanent resident or an eligible New Zealand citizen.

At least half of your children must live in Australia or more of your children live in Australia than any other country

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LindaH27 said:

My reading from what’s on the website leads me to think that a parent visa is only granted when the child lives in Australia - otherwise any Australian citizen living outside of Australia anywhere else in the world could enable parents to get the 143 visa without living there themselves? 

Perhaps the solution is for the son to remain in Australia till the parent visa is granted and therefore also permanent residence?

Taken from home affairs website :-

Eligibility:

You must have a child who is an Australian citizen, a permanent resident or an eligible New Zealand citizen.

At least half of your children must live in Australia or more of your children live in Australia than any other country

I'm not an expert, but I noticed they don't specifically say that citizens need to be in Australia. As apposed to PRs and New Zealanders who need to be “usually resident in Australia”.  I do agree it would be a better solution if son remained in Australia, but I guess some people just feel an overwhelming pull back to the UK.

6 hours ago, SusieRoo said:

I think it’s no problem to get someone else to be your sponsor, and it doesn’t have to be a family member. Also if your son has Australian PR only and moves back to the UK, you would probably not qualify for parent visas. But if your son becomes an Australian citizen before leaving, I think you may then still qualify.

Personally I think it would be wise for your son to become a citizen anyway, you never know what the future may hold. Keeping his options open in this way is a no-brainer, especially when you think about what everyone here is going through to trying to get into Australia.

Can I ask that you please don't confuse the role of the sponsor with that of the assurer?!

The sponsor clearly cannot be anyone - s/he must be the child of the applicant, or the spouse/partner of the child.

Best regards.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, SusieRoo said:

I'm not an expert, but I noticed they don't specifically say that citizens need to be in Australia. As apposed to PRs and New Zealanders who need to be “usually resident in Australia”.  I do agree it would be a better solution if son remained in Australia, but I guess some people just feel an overwhelming pull back to the UK.

no, Australian citizens don't have to be Australian resident, BUT the second paragraph still applies - At least half of your children must live in Australia or more of your children live in Australia than any other country

• Like 3

Guest manrug
16 hours ago, manrug said:

Hi Folks

Although I have been visiting this thread frequently and learning a great deal from every one's experience, this is the first time I am writing. My wife and I applied for 143 visa in January 2017. At that time our son had been in Australia for 3 years and was settled. He is now thinking of returning to the UK. My question is: by the time our application is considered if our son is not in Australia and has returned to the UK, could we get another friend for the AOS and still get our 143? It is an unusual question but  I am sure there may be someone else who has had a similar experience. 

I just wanted to thank everybody for their replies. My son's circumstances are rather difficult to say the least. Now we have paid the first fee for 143, we will let our application run. We still have about 2 years wait before a case officer is assigned. I will update this thread when that time comes.

I just wanted to thank everybody for their replies. My son's circumstances are rather difficult to say the least. Now we have paid the first fee for 143, we will let our application run. We still have about 2 years wait before a case officer is assigned. I will update this thread when that time comes.

I think you are right to sit tight and see what happens. You have ‘lost’ your first fee anyway. It will be at least two years (hopefully no more) before you have to move forward with the 143 or withdraw. I hope things work out for you all.
  • Like 3

My parents received an email from their agent on Sunday.  Not great news at all :(

I've copied and pasted this from my email off my phone and the graph isnt looking great so I apologise if its hard to read. I've only copied the part regarding immediate changes.

What is much worse is that Immigration have made some immediate changes to the income threshold required of your Assurer.  In the past there has not be a “calculator” available to determine that income, but it has been fairly “reasonable”.  Not anymore.

The link for your Assurer to calculate their income, which they must document for the current and previous 2 years – at time of applying to be your Assurer – is https://www.centrelink.gov.au/custsite_aoscalc/aoscalc/eligibilityPage.jsf?wec-appid=aoscalc&wec-locale=en_US#stay

The income requirement is based on how many people they are assuring (i.e. 1 or 2 parents) and if they have a partner and/or dependent children.

I’ve done some calculations for you:

Income / Combined Income

Single

Single, 1 child under 18

Single, 2 children under 18

Partner, no children

Partner, 1 child under 18

Partner, 2 children under 18

1 Parent

$58,860

$61,804

$64,747

$88,291

$91,235

$94,178

2 Parents

$88,291

$91,235

$94,178

$117,722

$120,665

$123,608

You can have a combination of 3 Assurers, but once you add a 3rd person the combined income starts to increase considerably.  For example:

• A couple (with no children) + Another (no partner, no children) – Assuring 1 Parent = their combined incomes must be $117,722
  • A couple (with 2 children) + Another (with partner + 2 children) – Assuring 2 Parents = their combined incomes must be $188,355
  • 3 people all with partners + 2 children - Assuring 2 Parents = their combined incomes must be $253,102

Assurers cannot have any outstanding debt to the Commonwealth at time of applying to be an Assurer.

-------------------------------------------------

Ive had my sole AOS approved under the old criteria but the 2nd VAC hasn't been requested yet.  I'm trying to find out whether approval means approval or if it does get rejected would be allowed to reapply for AOS as a couple.

So p*ssed off at the minute but not at all surprised!!

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

7 minutes ago, Mrs Depp said:

Ive had my sole AOS approved under the old criteria but the 2nd VAC hasn't been requested yet.  I'm trying to find out whether approval means approval or if it does get rejected would be allowed to reapply for AOS as a couple.

So p*ssed off at the minute but not at all surprised!!

I think you will be ok if your AOS has already been approved. This new system is only for AOS applications made after 1st April 2018.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, SusieRoo said:

I think you will be ok if your AOS has already been approved. This new system is only for AOS applications made after 1st April 2018.

Thanks SusieRoo, that does make sense but still so stressful for those that applied at the same time under the old criteria and have yet to be told to sort their AOS stuff out. 

13 minutes ago, Mrs Depp said:

Thanks SusieRoo, that does make sense but still so stressful for those that applied at the same time under the old criteria and have yet to be told to sort their AOS stuff out. 

@Mrs Depp ~ can you please share your date details in the signature? Thank you. 

Without the full info to hand I can't update the signature yet.

For a guide:

April 2015 lodgement (18th I think)

AOS docs requested in preparation  (no case officer or timeframe) Oct 2017 - approval letter 14th Dec 2017

Further info requested a few wks back on 8th March and nothing since.

1 hour ago, Mrs Depp said:

I think the AOS new rules only applied for new application starting on 1/4/18. The old application wont be affected? Correct me if I'm wrong. 

• Thanks 1

We are not affected by this change, as my husband as the assurer earns in excess of the income required - however I have signed as I find it grossly unfair that they have kept people waiting for several years and quite happily taken visa application fees. The least they could do is make only new applications from the 1st April 2018 bound by new legislation. 

Edited by purpleal
Grammar
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, irenejicn said:

change petition regarding AOS policy change. Lots of 143/103 applications will be affected by this change. Please sign the petition

https://www.change.org/p/minister-for-social-service-change-of-assurance-of-support-legislation-of-contributory-parent-visa-petition

864 visas as well

signed and shared to friends on face book.

Edited by ramot
  • Like 2

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2018/apr/07/peter-dutton-says-like-minded-countries-should-rethink-un-refugee-convention

It’s also about other types of immigration 

quote:-

In a wide-ranging interview with Guardian Australia conducted on Tuesday, Dutton flagged a reluctance to allow the elderly family members of immigrants to come to Australia, and a desire to incentivise new arrivals to move to regional communities. He also reaffirmed the country’s commitment to a nondiscriminatory immigration policy

“We need to bring in younger people like most western democracies. We want to bring them in as young as possible, which is sometimes controversial because people want to bring, particularly through the family program, people of an older age in. But we want people to pay taxes and be contributing for as long as possible.

Edited by LindaH27
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, irenejicn said:

change petition regarding AOS policy change. Lots of 143/103 applications will be affected by this change. Please sign the petition

https://www.change.org/p/minister-for-social-service-change-of-assurance-of-support-legislation-of-contributory-parent-visa-petition

Thankfully it wont affect me but I have signed anyway as I am appalled at this change.  It will affect those most in need.  The families who are on low incomes, including those who are maybe single parent families, are the very ones who are most in need of having their parents over to help with child care.   These are the ones who will struggle and will probably find it impossible to meet the necessary income requirements.   This policy is SO discriminatory.  I'm seething with the unfairness of it all. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, LindaH27 said:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2018/apr/07/peter-dutton-says-like-minded-countries-should-rethink-un-refugee-convention

It’s also about other types of immigration 

quote:-

In a wide-ranging interview with Guardian Australia conducted on Tuesday, Dutton flagged a reluctance to allow the elderly family members of immigrants to come to Australia, and a desire to incentivise new arrivals to move to regional communities. He also reaffirmed the country’s commitment to a nondiscriminatory immigration policy

“We need to bring in younger people like most western democracies. We want to bring them in as young as possible, which is sometimes controversial because people want to bring, particularly through the family program, people of an older age in. But we want people to pay taxes and be contributing for as long as possible.

Dutton is a hard nut and reading more of this makes me concerned the whole parent visa process is going to change significantly. The new temp visa is still delayed and undoubtedly once it's up and running, we will see other visa streams closing. I am still shaken in the way the AOS process just changed without any warning, which makes you realise just how vulnerable we are.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, AMP said:

Thankfully it wont affect me but I have signed anyway as I am appalled at this change.  It will affect those most in need.  The families who are on low incomes, including those who are maybe single parent families, are the very ones who are most in need of having their parents over to help with child care.   These are the ones who will struggle and will probably find it impossible to meet the necessary income requirements.   This policy is SO discriminatory.  I'm seething with the unfairness of it all. 

All very true and many uk parents have pensions which are more than the income required by the new AOS. You would think the financial position of the parent would also be considered in the ASO income criteria. The ASO is there to stop a parent immigrant from claiming any benifits for 10 years, but most uk parents applying for CPVs would never need state support. 

• Like 5