Guest guest36187

1 minute ago, Seamus said:

Hi everyone, I am in the process of waiting for the 2nd VAC for my parents 143 as well. I found this thread very useful to me, so I will also keep updating mine here. Nice to meet you all.

welcome Seamus

pls update your parents visa application timeline under signature

Cheers

Peter 

19 hours ago, Catlady2014 said:

RayandGeri, the ones I've dealt with all do this too.  You see the rate you want and you book the deal and that is the rate you get, which you then need to pay for.  But be careful if they are only giving you 24 hours!  I came up against a problem with my bank which decided that my transfer to pay for my deals looked dodgy and immediately blocked the transactions.  Luckily, both Foremost and Moneycorp were very understanding and allowed plenty of time for the problem to be resolved and my transfers to go through to pay for my booked deals.  To be honest, I think most dealers would give you at least 48 hours to pay for a booked deal; mine are  happy to give me much longer, while preserving the rate I booked at.  No charges upfront, no hidden charges, no fees.  The only fee I've ever paid was to my Australian bank which sometimes charges a fee for receiving my money!  Why?  No idea! And they only do it sometimes.  

Hiya, when there is no fee up front they make their money by giving you a reduced exchange rate, nothing is truly "fee free" .... in the end I suppose it's what you are happy with.

• Like 3

I've made an AoS application ... done the telephone interview ... now have a letter to pay $10000 at the commonwealth bank.

What happens after this? Does the bank give me something to take back to centrelink or is it automatic? If I have to take it back to centrelink, does it have to be in person or can I do it online? The original AoS application was online.

33 minutes ago, thomas1965 said:

I've made an AoS application ... done the telephone interview ... now have a letter to pay $10000 at the commonwealth bank.

What happens after this? Does the bank give me something to take back to centrelink or is it automatic? If I have to take it back to centrelink, does it have to be in person or can I do it online? The original AoS application was online.

Yes, you'll get a receipt/confirmation of the opening if the bond account to take back to Centrelink.  I don't recall whether you can do it online or not but I would say it's best to do it in person.  When you did the application, did you not have to take your original documents into Centrelink? 

4 hours ago, Ray and Geri said:

Hiya, when there is no fee up front they make their money by giving you a reduced exchange rate, nothing is truly "fee free" .... in the end I suppose it's what you are happy with.

Yes, they give a reduced rate of just over a cent, e.g. the rate I got the other day was 1.8290, when the mid-market rate stood at 1.8410.  That was on a £20,000 transfer, so not a big amount.  I just did the calculation on Transferwise website and found that at the current rate of 1.8306, I would have got a hundred dollars or so less from Transferwise than I got from my dealer at the lower rate of $1.8290.  I think this is because Transferwise takes its cut out of the sterling amount before converting, leaving a smaller amount of sterling to be converted. 

Edited by Catlady2014
Calculation

51 minutes ago, thomas1965 said:

The bank will give you a letter and you need to take that to Centrelink. It needs to be done in person - you have to call in. It does only take a couple of minutes though. Then Centrelink will send you a letter confirming that you are an approved insurer. This letter needs to be scanned and sent to PVC team1. Centrelink do advise them, but our CO requested that we notify them as well, as there is often a delay from Centrelink (no surprise there).

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Catlady2014 said:

When you did the application, did you not have to take your original documents into Centrelink? 

Yes ... but the instructions were clear online about this.  The instructions after lodging the bond at the commonwealth bank are not so clear in the letter from Centrelink.

14 minutes ago, Nicole Eire said:

as there is often a delay from Centrelink (no surprise there)

The telephone interviewer for my AoS said they're getting overtime to process AoS applications, due to a backlog. I got my phone call on Saturday - just 1 day after lodging the application, so it seems like they've really streamlined the whole AoS process (for now at least). It's been surprising quick, given that most people are quoting several weeks/months to do the AoS process.

• Like 3

Just now, thomas1965 said:

Yes ... but the instructions were clear online about this.  The instructions after lodging the bond at the commonwealth bank are not so clear in the letter from Centrelink.

The telephone interviewer for my AoS said they're getting overtime to process AoS applications, due to a backlog. I got my phone call on Saturday - just 1 day after lodging the application, so it seems like they've really streamlined the whole AoS process (for now at least). It's been surprising quick, given that most people are quoting several weeks/months to do the AoS process.

Which income criteria they assess for your AOS? I notice you lodged your AOS application after 1 April 2018.

7 minutes ago, thomas1965 said:

That's brilliant news for everyone waiting. As you can see from my signature - we waited months for the phone call.

1 hour ago, thomas1965 said:

Hi I notice from your signature that you say you lodged your AOS online, how did you achieve this and does that mean that you did not need to visit the Centrelink office? 

Just now, Wishfull said:

Hi I notice from your signature that you say you lodged your AOS online, how did you achieve this and does that mean that you did not need to visit the Centrelink office? 

The supporting documents are all submitted online, but you still need to visit the office for a 100 point ID check (which is a little ridiculous, because they already have all of this on file from our other centrelink applications). Hopefully they streamline this at some stage.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Nicole Eire said:

That's brilliant news for everyone waiting. As you can see from my signature - we waited months for the phone call.

I waited 8 weeks after submitting the AOS and still no call, so I called them to get the interview done. I also called another time to finally have the acceptance letter secured. It took me more than three months in total.

3 minutes ago, Wishfull said:

He still had to take the original documents into Centrelink.  Maybe Thomas was referring to downloading the application, which my daughter also did for mine but she still had to take the completed form and documents into Centrelink, although that was over a year ago and it might have changed by now. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Catlady2014 said:

Maybe Thomas was referring to downloading the application

No - you can complete the application electronically, including uploading the supporting evidence (proof on income, etc). You only have to go to the centrelink office for a 100 point ID check, with an electronic application.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, thomas1965 said:

I had the receipts from bank scanned and uploaded to centrelink through mygov, easier than submitting the hard copy to centrelink in person.

7 minutes ago, Seamus said:

I had the receipts from bank scanned and uploaded to centrelink through mygov, easier than submitting the hard copy to centrelink in person.

What category did you use to upload the documents? I don't see a category for assurance of support ... "Evidence to support claim" or "Financial" or something else?

2 hours ago, Sharad Guru said:

Hy every one.

does anyone have a idea ,why files from 1 june 2015 not getting their request for commencing docs like medical and pcc’s.

Our lodgement date is 23/4/15 and not heard anything yet... they are processing up to and including 20/4/2015 at the moment. Some applicants were lucky enough to get early invites to submit docs but others not so lucky.....