Guest guest36187

3 hours ago, Ian Ireland said:

On the subject of form filling, is the form for letting HMRC know we are leaving a simple procedure? The form p85 is downloadable I believe. Is it straightforward dealing with the Revenue? What is required? 

People who have moved can perhaps relate their experiences. 

Dead easy. Download form, state you are leaving the country and when you are going (or when you went), send back to HMRC. If you are due a refund they will forward it to you. 

1 hour ago, Ian Ireland said:

Do you have to provide notarised copy of address in Oz or of visa letter? They surely want evidence before unshackling!

I downloaded the form P85 and sent it, but HMRC replied (by post)

" ... I confirm that your pensions from ... ... and ... remain liable to Uk tax.  As a British National, you are entitled to your tax free personal allowance which I have allocated to your pensions.  Because of this, I cannot work out if you have paid too much tax until after the end of the tax year on 5 April 2018.  as a UK resident both your UK and non-UK income will be chargeable to UK tax".  

However, they informed DWP that I had left the UK and DWP immediately stopped my British State Pension.  I had to ring DWP and get it reinstated.  Work that one out! 

I believe you need to get an Australian Tax Reference and then download an Australian form which is then sent to the UK tax office to confirm your status as Australian resident for tax purposes.   

Edited by Catlady2014
  • Thanks 1

Ah, I see. That way there’s no way anyone will slip through the net with the Oz tax office. They’ll know about you at once because you can’t get HMRC to stop deducting until you’ve registered in Oz. You will continue to have UK tax deducted till that happens and because of the dual arrangements there will be no Oz tax till you have a number. The nightmare scenario I suppose is unintentional overlap with both deducting tax 

• Like 1

On 07/01/2018 at 17:01, Catlady2014 said:

I downloaded the form P85 and sent it, but HMRC replied (by post)

" ... I confirm that your pensions from ... ... and ... remain liable to Uk tax.  As a British National, you are entitled to your tax free personal allowance which I have allocated to your pensions.  Because of this, I cannot work out if you have paid too much tax until after the end of the tax year on 5 April 2018.  as a UK resident both your UK and non-UK income will be chargeable to UK tax".  

However, they informed DWP that I had left the UK and DWP immediately stopped my British State Pension.  I had to ring DWP and get it reinstated.  Work that one out! 

I believe you need to get an Australian Tax Reference and then download an Australian form which is then sent to the UK tax office to confirm your status as Australian resident for tax purposes.   

To clarify - it isn't an ATO form.

You complete an HM Revenue form. with details including your Australian Tax File Number, and send it to the relevant ATO postal address so they can stamp it, and send the same onto HMRC.

A dialogue with HMRC is frequently required to ensure you recover all PAYE deducted on pension income that is wholly taxable in Australia.   That's where things can get difficult and frustrating - and is why some choose to instruct a tax advisor who can deal with both tax authorities.   

Best regards.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Ian Ireland said:

Ah, I see. That way there’s no way anyone will slip through the net with the Oz tax office. They’ll know about you at once because you can’t get HMRC to stop deducting until you’ve registered in Oz. You will continue to have UK tax deducted till that happens and because of the dual arrangements there will be no Oz tax till you have a number. The nightmare scenario I suppose is unintentional overlap with both deducting tax 

Precisely!  

10 hours ago, gafuk said:

Wishful has talked about the new "immiaccount". If anyone gets any further information I would love to know if , when the time comes, we can pay our second VAC payment if we have processed our application through an agent ?.

Think its better to pay Immi direct if that was possible.

You will probably find it cheaper to arrange a transfer of funds to a relative in Australia through one of the regarded forex companis, and for that relative to arrange a bank cheque to pay the main Visa Application Charges.

Small differences in the exchange rate can make a fair difference in the GBP cost when such a large AUD sum is being remitted.

Best regards.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Alan Collett said:

To clarify - it isn't an ATO form.

You complete an HM Revenue form. with details including your Australian Tax File Number, and send it to the relevant ATO postal address so they can stamp it, and send the same onto HMRC.

A dialogue with HMRC is frequently required to ensure you recover all PAYE deducted on pension income that is wholly taxable in Australia.   That's where things can get difficult and frustrating - and is why some choose to instruct a tax advisor who can deal with both tax authorities.   No names mentioned, here  of course ... :biggrin:

Best regards.

Point noted! It’s good to know help is at hand. 

• Like 1

Hi again all.  Just to let you know that we are now back in Australia!!  No problems at Sydney, everything went smoothly and they let us in!!

We seem to have been the first ones from 2015 and we hope there will be many more.  Just sorting out lots of things we have to do now in Australia.  All I can say is that it is worth the wait and its a great feeling.  My children arranged a surprise party on Saturday which was fantastic.

Good luck everyone and lets hope they crack on this year with the visas.  :)

• Like 9

10 hours ago, Gogirl1 said:

Hi again all.  Just to let you know that we are now back in Australia!!  No problems at Sydney, everything went smoothly and they let us in!!

We seem to have been the first ones from 2015 and we hope there will be many more.  Just sorting out lots of things we have to do now in Australia.  All I can say is that it is worth the wait and its a great feeling.  My children arranged a surprise party on Saturday which was fantastic.

Many congrats!!??

just seen another Jan grant so they are back up and running ! 

Edited by Kathss56
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, Gogirl1 said:

Congrats. Just waiting now hoping it won’t be too long !

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Gogirl1 said:

Very happy for you Gogirl1...hope all goes well for you. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Catlady2014 said:

My Movecube arrived this morning.  A great service that I would recommend for anyone who is only looking to move a small amount of stuff, rather than a houseload/container.  Everything arrived, nothing missing.  

Hi, would send me the details of the company you used please..

• Like 2

Has anyone had a problem printing off their Referral Letter for their medical?  We've logged on to the eMedical site and entered all our details and the screen shows:

Press the 'Print Referral Letter' button to retrieve your referral letter for the examination(s) you must complete as part of your visa application. You must take this letter with you to your examination. For a list of approved medical practitioners near you refer to the department's website. http://www.border.gov.au/about/contact/offices-locations/panel-physicians

Print Referral Letter

We've clicked on "Print Referral Letter" but nothing happens.

Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by Pertenhall
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pertenhall said:

Has anyone had a problem printing off their Referral Letter for their medical?  We've logged on and entered all our details and the screen shows:

Press the 'Print Referral Letter' button to retrieve your referral letter for the examination(s) you must complete as part of your visa application. You must take this letter with you to your examination. For a list of approved medical practitioners near you refer to the department's website. http://www.border.gov.au/about/contact/offices-locations/panel-physicians

Print Referral Letter

We've clicked on "Print Referral Letter" but nothing happens.

Any help would be appreciated.

Yes, I had exactly the same problem.  My agent then emailed me the letter in pdf format so that I could print it that way, instead of via the link.  Have you an agent? If not, maybe try a different computer/laptop. 

• Like 1