Guest guest36187

1 hour ago, Fisher1 said:

Thanks for the good wishes and to everyone who has helped me on my way with info during the last few years. I'll carry on adding my bit where I can.  Love this site.

Thank you - all this help/info - keeps us all going! 

My daughter has gone back today. Roll on my December visit! 

You will celebrating Xmas in your new home in Australia too!! 

Edited by Kathss56
  • Like 2

On 25 July 2017 at 23:14, Fisher1 said:

We exchanged contracts on our house this afternoon. Can book our flights. Looks like we are actually going to move. At last!!! 

So pleased for you ? Wish you all the best and happy house hunting ? Look forward to hearing about your next stage . Lorraine 

• Like 2

Applied for a defacto visa on 21st June but when putting the communicating details in the form I entered it wrong, I put the wrong email address on the form. Filled in 2 separate forms on the immiaccount to tell them but still not heard anything at all. I'm really worried now, any advice, does anyone have an email address for them. 

16 hours ago, HarrisL16 said:

So pleased for you ? Wish you all the best and happy house hunting ? Look forward to hearing about your next stage . Lorraine 

Thank you. Removals booked yesterday. In th end we went with PSS because the move cube was going to be too small. We were offered a "multi cube" option in which the fixed charges remain the same and you just pay for the extra cube (s) but it seemed to be the law of diminishing returns, especially when you consider that we would have been packing everything ourselves. The quote from PSS was £2170 for a part load with additional costs for customs etc. Up to four weeks storage free at both ends and further storage in oz at $45 per week.   They do the packing too !   This seems to be a very good price to us, will let tou know how it pans out. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Scotsbird said:

Applied for a defacto visa on 21st June but when putting the communicating details in the form I entered it wrong, I put the wrong email address on the form. Filled in 2 separate forms on the immiaccount to tell them but still not heard anything at all. I'm really worried now, any advice, does anyone have an email address for them. 

If you are applying for partner through your parent visa application email address is 

parents@border.gov.au

incl,full name,date of birth,address etc and query

also,they are very behind with acknowledging 

Edited by Kathss56

3 hours ago, Scotsbird said:

It also says do through immi account if used before and to fill in form 1022 to update contact details . 

12 hours ago, Scotsbird said:

Do you mean a de facto visa, or a dependent de facto partner on a parent visa?

As we have still heard nothing about meds etc I might be getting ahead of myself but .. anyone know of a way to live mostly in Australia but a little in the U.K. To qualify to have the increase in state pension instead of having them frozen ? 

Is it possible ? 

Well, our kit has been export packed and gone into leatherbarrows storage until we give them the nod. Unfortunately we're somewhat over the 20ft container! We're waiting to hear how much by so we can decide whether to add to it or not! Happy husband - not!!!

I spoke with our agent again about putting in for the 3 year temporary visa when it's open and available, I'm a bit disappointed as she said the visa hasn't yet been passed by parliament yet! Has anyone heard anything more about it please?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Suzyq said:

Well, our kit has been export packed and gone into leatherbarrows storage until we give them the nod. Unfortunately we're somewhat over the 20ft container! We're waiting to hear how much by so we can decide whether to add to it or not! Happy husband - not!!!

I spoke with our agent again about putting in for the 3 year temporary visa when it's open and available, I'm a bit disappointed as she said the visa hasn't yet been passed by parliament yet! Has anyone heard anything more about it please?

I haven't heard any more details regarding the new temporary parent visa either.

I'm expecting to hear in Q4 of 2017.

Best regards.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, gafuk said:

As we have still heard nothing about meds etc I might be getting ahead of myself but .. anyone know of a way to live mostly in Australia but a little in the U.K. To qualify to have the increase in state pension instead of having them frozen ? 

Is it possible ? 

Have no idea but am presuming you would still have to pay into NHS contributions currently at £700 a year to top up pension voluntarily.  That is what they said I could do when I move to Oz and until I am 66-as currently I do not qualify for full state pension as I have been paying into a private one. If I do this I will then get the full state pension.

Each year you get a rise of approx £4.52 Per week (I think was the figure she said when I rang for a forecast last year) ring the number for Gov pensions forecast/statement they are very helpful! 

Edited by Kathss56
  • Like 1

On ‎26‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 04:58, Fisher1 said:

Thanks for the good wishes and to everyone who has helped me on my way with info during the last few years. I'll carry on adding my bit where I can.  Love this site.

Good luck. Hopefully we will all hear good news soon.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kathss56 said:

Have no idea but am presuming you would still have to pay into NHS contributions currently at £700 a year to top up pension voluntarily.  That is what they said I could do when I move to Oz and until I am 66-as currently I do not qualify for full state pension as I have been paying into a private one. If I do this I will then get the full state pension.

Each year you get a rise of approx £4.52 Per week (I think was the figure she said when I rang for a forecast last year) ring the number for Gov pensions forecast/statement they are very helpful! 

But (and do please tell me if I have got this wrong!), my understanding is that once you are officially Australian resident and start to receive the UK state pension then the pension is totally frozen at that amount with absolutely zero increases. I see GAFUKs point about whether there may be a way to live part time in the UK each year in order to then still get increases paid.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AMP said:

But (and do please tell me if I have got this wrong!), my understanding is that once you are officially Australian resident and start to receive the UK state pension then the pension is totally frozen at that amount with absolutely zero increases. I see GAFUKs point about whether there may be a way to live part time in the UK each year in order to then still get increases paid.

Yes once you start receiving pension in Oz it is frozen from that day onwards - you can claim the extra every time you came back for a visit.  But this is to top up each year before you reach 66 if you leave the UK before that age. At the £700 a year she told me - don't think it's worth it to get an extra £4.50 a week for every year up to claiming but, that is £4.50 a week extra for life she said !! Depends how long you plan on living I suppose!! :biglaugh:

Edited by Kathss56
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, gafuk said:

Is it possible ? 

The instructions from the DWP are clear - you have to inform them if you are out of the country for more than three months. So I suppose you could spend three months a year in Australia and the rest of the year in the UK. However, once you are sixty six you will find (as we did) that its impossible to get travel insurance for a trip of longer than a month. I know there is the possibility of tapping in to medicare but this doesn't help if you are taken ill on the plane or on a stopover.

As someone said, you can claim an up to date entitlement if you are in the UK (or one of the numerous countries where the pension is updated each year) but as soon as you return to Australia the pension goes back to its former level. There is a group that campaigns tirelessly (with little success so far) for a change in the law - the consortium of British pensioners. You might like to join them - they are currently lobbying M.P.s to support a change in the ruling at an upcoming motion in Parliament.

I would like to know if its possible to return to the UK, live there for a year or two and then "re-emigrate" . Would you get your pension refrozen but at the then current rate, or would it go back to the rate when you originally left? I suspect the former. The only shred of hope I can see is in the number of people of Asian and Caribean origin now being affected. They were encouraged to come to the UK and work and have paid contributions all their lives, only to find that for many the dream of returning to their 'home' country is made impossible by the refusal of cost of living increases. Floella Benjamin is a vocal supporter of a change, as is Jeremy Corbyn.

Personally, I don't hold out much hope.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Kathss56 said:

There is a uk.gov webpage where you can log in and see how your NI contributions are doing in terms of state pension. You need your national insurance number and passport details.

Normally you reach full pension entitlement before you retire, so not paying in for the last few years may not make any difference. It just depends on how many years you have paid up.

You still have the amount ‘frozen’ when you leave UK, which is very wrong and I cant understand why the EU courts have not put a stop to this already.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, SusieRoo said:

There is a uk.gov webpage where you can log in and see how your NI contributions are doing in terms of state pension. You need your national insurance number and passport details.

Normally you reach full pension entitlement before you retire, so not paying in for the last few years may not make any difference. It just depends on how many years you have paid up.

You still have the amount ‘frozen’ when you leave UK, which is very wrong and I cant understand why the EU courts have not put a stop to this already.

You have a point SusieRoo, which I hadn't thought of ... when we were living outside the UK my husband voluntarily paid his pension, but he stopped paying a few years before we returned because under the new rules he had already paid enough for a full UK pension. Important to check because there's no point throwing money away.  I agree about the frozen pensions, I think its disgusting.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, SusieRoo said:

You don't have the pension frozen in Europe. ...it's only frozen in certain countries. 

22 minutes ago, Jellybean T said:

You don't have the pension frozen in Europe. ...it's only frozen in certain countries. 

Yes but its possible to take a complaint like this to the European Court of human rights - so the EU could, for example, put a stop to the UK discriminating against some pensioners by paying them less than others. However, sadly, a case like this was brought and lost some years ago. Can't understand why.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kathss56 said:

Yes once you start receiving pension in Oz it is frozen from that day onwards - you can claim the extra every time you came back for a visit.  But this is to top up each year before you reach 66 if you leave the UK before that age. At the £700 a year she told me - don't think it's worth it to get an extra £4.50 a week for every year up to claiming but, that is £4.50 a week extra for life she said !! Depends how long you plan on living I suppose!! :biglaugh:

My intention is to live until I am 120 ish, can't instantly work out the math (s) on that one

Just now !

• Like 4

Just now, gafuk said:

My intention is to live until I am 120 ish, can't instantly work out the math (s) on that one

Just now !

well unless th UK government have a change of heart and play fair ( in my opinion) to those who have worked and paid their share for a pension, I guess I will have to hope i can do ok in Australia and not "need" the increases to survive . Am I happy to go to share my life with my kids regardless ? Yes I can't wait !

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Fisher1 said:

Yes but its possible to take a complaint like this to the European Court of human rights - so the EU could, for example, put a stop to the UK discriminating against some pensioners by paying them less than others. However, sadly, a case like this was brought and lost some years ago. Can't understand why.

Strange the way it's only certain countries that the pension is frozen when you go to live there...mostly commonwealth countries.  You would think the UK government would realise how much money we were saving them by leaving and going to live in another country and actually encourage us to go. Maybe one day!...but until that day comes we need to be active in trying to get the ruling reversed. 

• Like 2